Forum › It's Tough Being Neeko discussion

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

My speculation is that Uri found a job that she thinks that she and Neeko can work together, but knew that Neeko would turn reject the idea immediately, so she went over her head and told her mom instead to let her handle the rest. Hence this discussion.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Oh dear. A Japanese parent about to try their hands on actual parenting. This is going to be good.

I guess we should probably have the tragedy tag ready.

last edited at Nov 4, 2019 6:24PM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

I can't help but worry that Mama Niito still doesn't understand the crux of Neeko's issues, because IINM tough parenting is the last thing Neeko needs. What she needs is someone like her dad, but one that takes a proactive approach with their kindness, starting with sitting her down and having an actual heart to heart talk that lets her finally pour all the angst she's been bottling up inside of her without fear of being punished for "failing" to live up to anyone's expectations.

joined Jan 13, 2019

i still have no idea how we're supposed to interpret the mother. genuinely caring, but misguided? subconsciously but nevertheless intentionally hostile? does she hate neeko, or is she simply tired of her? i can't get a read on her and it's wigging me out, man

edit: hell, thinking about it i still don't know how the author wants the audience to interpret neeko herself. does the author want us to pity and sympathize with neeko? does the author want us to laugh at neeko? does the author think neeko is genuinely traumatized and needs proper treatment, or does the author think neeko isn't trying hard enough? i don't know. it's all very blurry and in a situation like this, i don't like it

edit 2: also the beginning of this chapter just makes me sad. neeko's mom just has no faith in her anymore. she only believes her daughter could be a fuckup. she's no longer worried about her daughter as a person but only as a perceived reflection of her abilities as a parent

last edited at Nov 4, 2019 11:37PM

Sanya Juutilainen
Ava_256
joined Apr 8, 2019

edit 2: also the beginning of this chapter just makes me sad. neeko's mom just has no faith in her anymore. she only believes her daughter could be a fuckup. she's no longer worried about her daughter as a person but only as a perceived reflection of her abilities as a parent

At some point people will give up, it's just that the point differs for various people. It's not really something she can do much about, since it's not really conscious.

(Interesting side note, some mothers have a condition where they give up pretty much after the birth, disconnecting them from the child.)

last edited at Nov 4, 2019 11:59PM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I can't help but worry that Mama Niito still doesn't understand the crux of Neeko's issues, because IINM tough parenting is the last thing Neeko needs. What she needs is someone like her dad, but one that takes a proactive approach with their kindness, starting with sitting her down and having an actual heart to heart talk that lets her finally pour all the angst she's been bottling up inside of her without fear of being punished for "failing" to live up to anyone's expectations.

Yeah this. Mama Niito is the embodiment of parental pressure. She's got good intentions but her approach is completely wrong. I think Uri-chan is hoping they can try a more gentle approach but how I don't know how she can save this.

Also, I can kinda understand Uri-chan's thing now. I wasn't sexually harassed but I was kinda slowly revolved into a job I hated and marginalized there. I'd like to think the trauma was fleeting but recent nightmares (twice recently, even) make it pretty impossible to pretend. I'm living off savings and not working just like Uri-chan.

Employment sucks so much sometimes. Honestly it's a wonder there aren't more NEETs - well, probably there are but we just don't hear about them much.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Remy posted:

If u look like that ofc u gonna get sexually harassed

Neeko might as well carry a gun with that face and bod

Er, are you blaming her for getting sexually harassed? Cause that's completely on the person doing the harassing.

Icon3
joined Dec 17, 2017

Found the incel still angry that women avoid him like the plague. What a tragic, self caused fate.

Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

Remy posted:

Er, are you blaming her for getting sexually harassed? Cause that's completely on the person doing the harassing.

I dont think that was the intent here. Afterall a gun was recommended for self defense.

Found the incel still angry that women avoid him like the plague. What a tragic, self caused fate.

Assuming someone is a male incel on a female x female centric internet site is kind of out of place, no?

last edited at Nov 5, 2019 9:27PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

hausenmaster posted:

I dont think that was the intent here. Afterall a gun was recommended for self defense.

If that's the case then they definitely didn't communicate what they meant properly and should probably clarify.

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I'm nervous that the mom is going to take the completely wrong lesson from this... Still, I also feel like this could be a definite opportunity for good things.

In the long term, Neeko and Uri moving in together would be fantastic

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Overall I thought this was a good chapter. I feel like the author is probably going to wrap it up the series soon since it seems like this chapter was written intentionally to show they will seriously being working on Neeko's case. So it's good in the sense that I think progress will be made, but whether or not the methods shown are actually helpful is another story...

Uri is a good friend. I'm glad Neeko has her as support.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

I don't even think a job is what Neeko needs right now. Her lack of self-confidence will be self-fulfilling and she'll screw up, reinforcing her bad beliefs.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I don't even think a job is what Neeko needs right now. Her lack of self-confidence will be self-fulfilling and she'll screw up, reinforcing her bad beliefs.

Thing is, Neeko isn't actually incompetent? She almost feel backwards into working through the whole "neighborhood association" thing. If it was something simple she might be okay. Part of her problem is trying to get a "serious" job, I think... Like that's the only way you can live, show up in a suit and work in an office? She's scared of the interview process, but part time work or work in non-white collar industries doesn't require that type of interview.

Not sure what would work, the flyer job almost worked out but she got freaked out about it and pulled away.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

If that's the case then they definitely didn't communicate what they meant properly and should probably clarify.

It seems pretty obvious to me that they meant "molesters are far more likely to sexually harass or even rape a woman if she's insanely attractive, especially if her own body language basically screams that she has a generally meek personality and is physically unfit, so such a weapon needs to take the maximum possible precautions because molesters will flock to her like flies to honey".

Just because the victim isn't to blame for molesters deciding to commit sexual assault upon her doesn't justify her not taking appropriate measures to fend off said sexual assault. If the risk is high enough that threatening the assailants with a gun becomes a reasonable option to take, then I'd say that she should do so (and take enough lessons in how to properly use it).

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Not sure about that one chief. I mean, yeah Neeko need to work but i'm not sure tricking into working with such a huge crowd, who is impatient in top of that, is a good idea for someone who never work in such condition.It's pratically certain she will screw up. There is no way it will end well.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Lol yeah this is def not a good way to get neeko to work

joined Dec 18, 2018

If anything something like this will set her progress back even further.

joined Jun 22, 2017

fuck

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

When I see this scene...

I realize that this manga should totally have been called "Her Elder Sister Has a Crush on Her, But She Doesn't Mind."

The author-san kinda screwed up an obvious storyline there. Yup.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Lilliwyt posted:

Not sure about that one chief. I mean, yeah Neeko need to work but i'm not sure tricking into working with such a huge crowd, who is impatient in top of that, is a good idea for someone who never work in such condition.It's pratically certain she will screw up. There is no way it will end well.

Indeed, I just hope this isn't her friend's plan and more like something her mom came up with... And let's not forget there's a terrible weather right now, if the author decides to screw her over even more I don't know if I can keep up with this manga.

last edited at Jan 3, 2020 9:36AM

Avarta
joined Sep 11, 2016

Neeko after realizing it:

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Oh noooo lol, Neeko is going to have major trust issues after this...

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Top 10 Manga Betrayals

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Neeko after realizing it:

I just KNEW there was a meme for this kind of situation, lol.

To reply you must either login or sign up.