Forum › The End Of The World And A Witch's Love discussion

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

They're quickly getting Mari on par with the rest, that's good, it means it'll focus more in developing their relationship.

Can't be too worried about that cliffhanger when it's just the 2nd chapter.

joined Jun 12, 2019

These bullies

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I hope somebody gets punched in the face next chapter.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Ah, yes... bullying and cliffhanger, my favorite things in the world lo/

On the other hand, looks like someone is about to lose her magic, huh? :))))))

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 12:43PM

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

DschingisKhan posted:

Really? Fall in love and lose your magic? Again? I hope that turns out to be a lie, because it wasn't even interesting the first time.

To be frank, I don't remember the other stories that have this rule... It feels familiar but nothing more.

lol when i first read that i was like ugh again? also, but i think it's really only been done in one other manga. the whole idea is stupid though and a cheap tactic for drama, because loving someone is mostly out of your hands, so the set up of it stands out more and give us that (AGAIN?) response. tbh the story of her other work girl x girl x boy felt much better because there's just so much in this one that people have already mentioned that doesn't make sense. nothing about this one feels unique or original, not even the characters. like if someone made an algorithm program, inputting a bunch of different yuri themes and tropes, this is what it would make. but to be fair it's only 2 chapters in, maybe she will surprise us.

joined Nov 7, 2013

dis is so holesum i kent

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Oof, why didn't I pick this up when I first saw this uploaded? Basically just a darker, angst-ier LWA.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

lol when i first read that i was like ugh again? also, but i think it's really only been done in one other manga.

There's definitely more like this around. Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo has that exact theme as well, although it's het shit (shit because it's shit, not because it's het ^^).

Anyway, I think we can safely assume that the restriction doesn't apply if it's Super Special Chosen Soul Mate Lovers. Which the protagonists obviously are.

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 3:04PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Maybe I haven't read many magic stories, but even if this is a common trope, at least there is some thought put into this story.
To me, it does seem like the author has put some effort to their characters and location set up. I like the two mains too. (I know, shy introverted girl and cold girl. You can't get away from these)
I don't think it's easy to find something mind blowing and original anyway. But there are tons of shitty and cliche stories in here with highschool girls that get praised for just being uwu, so this doesn't deserve hate imo.

This chapter stopped in the worst moment.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Note that on Pixiv, the chapter was actually in two part of 8 pages each

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Oh wow. So it was just the revive spell. In that case my theory of some euphoria effect doesn't work anymore. Guess it's just plain love after all.

Can't have a magic school story without a bully who doesn't like the new girl and does some weird mean stuff to them.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

love when the setting is german but the bullying is japanese

Doyoulikemykar2
joined Nov 15, 2019

I see that they followed the great tradition of throwing a "if you fall in love you lose your magic" style revelation out of nowhere and then just totally refused to elaborate on it next chapter.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Taking bets on whether demonic pacts were mentioned in ch02 because one of the girls is going to use one as an inadvisable revenge tool in an upcoming chapter

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Ah, yes... bullying and cliffhanger, my favorite things in the world lol

I'm fine with bullying in my manga... coz, with any luck, a Nikaidou-san or a Liberta eventually shows up to take care of the problem. Yay!
Cliffhangers on the other hand, grrrrr.

On the other hand, looks like someone is about to lose her magic, huh? :))))))

And hopefully the ability to attract unicorns as well, if you catch my meaning. ( ͡˵° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

the whole idea is stupid though and a cheap tactic for drama, because loving someone is mostly out of your hands, so the set up of it stands out more and give us that (AGAIN?) response.

I think that sort of restriction can make sense if you have the right sort of witches. Namely, you'd need something more spiteful, where the witch is fueled by hatred or revenge and actually falling in love would require both a fundamental change in what they are and abandoning their prior purpose in life.

The girls we've seen so far are pretty normal, if a bit catty, and nothing like the type of monsters I'm talking about, so it comes off as incongruous.

The only other explanation I can think of is more liked to ritual purity and virginity, though that's generally more associated with divine powers. If that were the case, then it's not so much the act of falling in love as it is the deed love leads to that costs your magic. (Un)fortunately, this explanation seems even further from the story we're reading.

Anyway, I think we can safely assume that the restriction doesn't apply if it's Super Special Chosen Soul Mate Lovers. Which the protagonists obviously are.

Actually, I don't think the restriction really exists, at least not for those girls and not quite as literally as implied.

Already, we can very clearly see that Alice has feelings for Mari, but Miriam also seems to have feelings for Alice. If simply falling in love cost you your powers, than I think they'd both already be powerless, but neither seems to be having any issues.

Instead, I think the line has more to do with the origins of the current witch culture, more than the girls themselves. The story paints a picture of a group that was unfairly hunted and persecuted, who used spite to save themselves, pouring thing their hatred and rage into a grudge they could nurse while bending knee to their former hunters. It wouldn't surprise me if more than a few of them were the type of witch that I was talking about before, but that's not the reality the current generation of witches lives.

It's possible the grandmother was talking about those older witches without realize the world has moved on and the new generations no longer need to draw strength from that grudge.

It's also possible that she wasn't talking about magic. While she mentions it in the beginning, she only says a witch will lose their "powers" at the end. This society seems to place a great deal of importance on working up towards some future revenge and they mostly seem to be amassing political power, while working closely with their intended victims, to accomplish it. It's probably a lot harder to commit the kind of betrayal they're talking about, or intentionally tip the world into chaos, if you love others, especially if pulling the trigger would endanger them. A witch who builds positive emotional bonds would endanger that power, more than anything.

joined Oct 10, 2016

So I was right on my third thought. There is a heavy love triangle.

Still this is so weird and because I haven't read Harry Potter books that much and only watched movies few times, makes me wonder so many things.

Still, it seems like it's only one volume, so I guess I will give it a try.

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 6:28PM

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I have a feeling I'm gonna need to punch some girls in the vagina next chapter, and not in the nice way.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

So I was right on my third thought. There is a heavy love triangle.

Still this is so weird and because I haven't read Harry Potter books that much and only watched movies few times, makes me wonder so many things.

Still, it seems like it's only one volume, so I guess I will give it a try.

I'm not sure how this really relates to Harry Potter, beyond both stories involving adolescent witches?

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Something is about to happen. :D

I'm enjoying the personalities of and interactions of the leads.

The pacing is also interesting.

It's pretty and I like it enough. Now to watch the story unfold...

Th
joined Aug 6, 2014

LMAO!

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I'm so happy that we got to read yuri witches.
This is truly wonderful.
Bless this trope.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Ara ara, Fräulein-chan~~

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Hey, this is pretty bad, isn't it?
Behind that door obviously are the angry fangirls who were talking before about making her go away and disappear... and they are witches! This has the potential to take bullying to a whole new level!

I hope Alice comes to the rescue before they transform the poor girl into an earthworm or something...

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

Maybe I haven't read many magic stories, but even if this is a common trope, at least there is some thought put into this story.
To me, it does seem like the author has put some effort to their characters and location set up. I like the two mains too. (I know, shy introverted girl and cold girl. You can't get away from these)
I don't think it's easy to find something mind blowing and original anyway. But there are tons of shitty and cliche stories in here with highschool girls that get praised for just being uwu, so this doesn't deserve hate imo.

a character doesn't have to be completely original to be unique, to have that spark that makes you believe that character is that character and not like anyone else. example, a webtoon i've been reading recently, one of the main characters, tall "prince" like is a basic description, but she feels wholly and completely herself, not some cookie cutter character. they can have basic tropes and characteristics, but without a soul, they feel very 2d and flat.

To reply you must either login or sign up.