Forum › The End Of The World And A Witch's Love discussion

joined Oct 10, 2016

First, should we add non-moe art?
Second, this plot is weird.
Third, I sense love triangle on the line Miriam-Alice-Mari.

last edited at Dec 18, 2019 6:20PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ffins07 posted:

The transitions are a bit clunk -- especially the "don't fall in love" warning *rolls eyes* -- but it's too pretty to pass.

Maybe the girl having powers will subvert the "lose powers" thing. Of course doll girl is going to worry about it, but fortunately the other MC is blunt, a bit naive ignorant and free spirited -- she'll blow through Alice's inhibitions.

My favorite line:

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about being taught by someone who's only obeying orders, but...

Looking forward to the next installment. ^^

I actually really disliked that line hahaha, because... One of the most (apparently) prestigious students was forced to help her because she can't keep up at all, and she agrees without getting mad or anything and then the mc reacts like it's such a pain, like "Well I guess I'm stuck with you :/" ....uugghhh if I were in Alice's shoes that's the moment where I would snap! IF YOU FAIL, THEN I'M THE ONE GETTING SCOLDED!!! FFS! try to be be considerate of that... A little courtesy at least.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 8:16PM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

How is groupie girl able to keep her powers then? Maybe she's not really in love but merely just infatuated? Or maybe she's already losing her powers. That would explain why she can't fly her broom.

The idea of love coming in many forms/variants is common in western philosophy and eventually got introduced to Japan in the early 1900s, so it would make sense if the "love" here refers to a specific form of love or the side effects of that form. [snip]

Are you referring to the old Greek storge, philia, eros, and agape or to one of the later theories? Just curious.

It's been a while since I did my reading on this so my memory isn't super clear, but it was definitely a mix of the old greek hierarchy along with some more-modern thinking - Passionate Friendship goes into depth on this if I recall right because of its overlap with Class S and some similar concepts (https://www.amazon.com/Passionate-Friendship-Aesthetics-Girls-Culture/dp/0824836383) - the idea that class S relationships could prepare girls for marriage by introducing them to some (but not all) of the forms of love.

If I can find it on my bookshelves I'll try to find the section I'm thinking of, the authors go into one or two formative works from that time period that explored the (relatively uncommon in Japanese fiction until that point, apparently?) themes. I believe one of them was a story about a relationship between a teacher and a female student (which would have been even more controversial then than now, most likely), where the love between him and his spouse was contrasted with the "different" love he held for the student.

Edit: Found it, the novel I mentioned above is cited on page 25, "Futon" by Tayama Katai.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 8:34PM

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

oooh cute! subscribed!

joined Dec 8, 2019

Normally a lurker, but...

Can we talk about how prominently the Star of David is displayed on witch's necklace in the 1st panel on page 10? Like the story tells us that there's actually a group of people who work directly for world leaders in secret -- and upon telling us that, the nameless witch it uses as a stand-in for all witch-kind is wearing the symbol of Judaism. It plays into all the antisemitic conspiracies about a cabal of Jews secretly running the world.

I was ready to chalk it up to the trend of Japanese appropriation of Jewish symbology as a shorthand for generic mysticism, somewhat similarly to how western cultures do this with pagan symbolism, but then they go and name the most hateful witch introduced so far "Miriam" (a Hebrew name for girls which is almost exclusively used by Jews).

I dunno -- I like the story for the most part besides this, but this really sours it for me. At least for me, it feels intentional.

last edited at Dec 9, 2019 12:10AM

joined Aug 10, 2016

oh hey, this author finally put out a new series

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I dunno -- I like the story for the most part besides this, but this really sours it for me. At least for me, it feels intentional.

You're stretching worse than a workout rope. Be careful about that recoil.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Wow. Am enjoying the art and the story so far. Also, I dig Witch stories. I hope there are more Witch Yuri stories out there besides this one.

Doyoulikemykar2
joined Nov 15, 2019

The world building lost me v early on and I couldn't buy back into it again, so yall just openly teaching these girls that witches are gonna take revenge on humans, on this school that like, the humans allow you to have? And no ones told on ya? No ones slipped the tongue?

Other than that it really feels like its taking a lot of notes from lwa , hopefully it'll like develop a stronger identity in following chapters

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Goddammit, I didn't think I'd get invested but I did.

Rumia_full_1227580
joined Oct 10, 2018

The world building lost me v early on and I couldn't buy back into it again, so yall just openly teaching these girls that witches are gonna take revenge on humans, on this school that like, the humans allow you to have? And no ones told on ya? No ones slipped the tongue?

Other than that it really feels like its taking a lot of notes from lwa , hopefully it'll like develop a stronger identity in following chapters

Also is this taking into account current military technology? The magic doesnt seem that impressive. When compared to certain things militaries have acess to. Drones, tanks, anti-material rifles, ships, jets, ect.

I mean they got caught by people with medieval weaponary. And they seem kind of squishy.

Also does it take into account that some witches would probably side with the Humans or the fact that the governments would probably take into account the fact that witches might want to rebel. So there might be witch hunters.

Woildnt suprise me if they had a dragon age templar type organization.

Also if witches ruled the world from the shadows doesnt that mean that there were witches that supported hitler and witches that supported stalin?

Ugh, I think I'm thinking to hard about this.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

^ it's clearly alt. history/fantasy; the moment you pretend that witches are real. Therefore we can't really know how technology or history developed.
I'd say though that it (for completely random reasons) it gives of a early 20th century vibe to me. So if the witches developed a nuke spell (for example) I could see them essentially taking the entire world hostage. Maybe leveraging it against churches or whoever their declared enemy is.

But I agree that it's all a bit dubious. My personal suspicion is that as usual the author doesn't give a fuck about anything beyond an excuse to tell yet-another-romance story, and that the entire setting is merely there to fulfill the "forbidden love" trope.
I'd love to be wrong. But I'm not. \o/

last edited at Dec 9, 2019 2:32PM

Copia%20di%20madohomuqts
joined Oct 15, 2018

this seems interesting and the art is amazing, plus the story seems way more complicated than it appears at first, can't wait to see where this goes

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

wow it's from Kujira

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

Ok, i like it, i love it, i want it in my life.
I'm a bitch for witches and that gay shit, so this is a jackpot :D
I was OK with Little Witch Academia, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best it could be either. But this... i'm feeling it will be really good.
It created a really simple, but logic, reason for the School to exist.

Akari-mizunashi-transparent%203
joined Oct 10, 2014

No need for revenge on humanity. Having successfully made themselves invaluable to world leaders for centuries, the witches should at this point be the real leaders, manipulating and advising figurehead politicians and royalty.

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Wow. This has a very nostalgic, mid-2000s sort of feel to the story and the art. Quite a blast from the past for me.

joined Aug 28, 2019

Damn that was good. The pacing's great, the art's clean, simple and easy on the eyes, great artstyle, overall great start. Cant wait for the next chapter.

joined May 7, 2017

You listen to your granny, Alice, besides, love between two girls is forbidden and must be avoided at all costs, that's what our Lord and savior Hitomi Shizuki-sama taught us.

joined May 9, 2018

Favorited and Subscribed! I was surprised it's the same author as Girl x Girl x Boy, I almost flipped. The art has become beautifuller

joined Jul 20, 2016

This is super intersting

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Really? Fall in love and lose your magic? Again? I hope that turns out to be a lie, because it wasn't even interesting the first time.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

DschingisKhan posted:

Really? Fall in love and lose your magic? Again? I hope that turns out to be a lie, because it wasn't even interesting the first time.

To be frank, I don't remember the other stories that have this rule... It feels familiar but nothing more.

I really hate people like Miriam.

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

To be frank, I don't remember the other stories that have this rule... It feels familiar but nothing more.

It's not stated as a rule, but there is one by Hakamada Mera It is a spoiler. Maybe more, but It’s only one that I remember.
This story is okay. Art is pretty nice, so I’ll be reading till the end.

To reply you must either login or sign up.