Forum › The End Of The World And A Witch's Love discussion

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

This is basically gritty Little Witch Academia until the very end.

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Hm...I like the art and the characters are cute, but the story seems a bit pointless to me. Why take revenge if the people who burned witches lived hundreds of years ago?

And love is not allowed for witches? How do you even control falling in love?

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

The alternate story of Little Witch Academia with new cast looks great

last edited at Dec 7, 2019 7:52PM

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Nice first chapter, be waiting for more.

Ohno
joined Nov 13, 2018

alice shutting the door on miriam was great. mari's hair is super cute, it makes her face look really round.

high as hydration
Webp.net-compress-image
joined Apr 24, 2019

a vibe

Bread
joined Mar 29, 2013

More witch yuri is always a plus

joined Jun 12, 2019

Omg I kinda love this.. it does remind me of little witch but this one is more gay pls. I love Yuri and fantasy.. idk how I feel about witches losing their powers bc of love tho

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

How is groupie girl able to keep her powers then? Maybe she's not really in love but merely just infatuated? Or maybe she's already losing her powers. That would explain why she can't fly her broom.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Miriam is already annoying, I hope she slowly disappears in the background.

joined Oct 27, 2018

With names like Alice Keating and Miriam I think the mangaka must have Googled "List of Extremely White Names for Girls", I'm mostly joking if course, this manga has sorta piqued my interest, I'll keep reading. Anyone else find the use of "sama" and "sensei" odd, I feel like those should have been translated.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

With names like Alice Keating and Miriam I think the mangaka must have Googled "List of Extremely White Names for Girls", I'm mostly joking if course, this manga has sorta piqued my interest, I'll keep reading. Anyone else find the use of "sama" and "sensei" odd, I feel like those should have been translated.

It is odd retaining Japanese honorifics in a work set outside Japan.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Anyone else find the use of "sama" and "sensei" odd, I feel like those should have been translated.

Uh what ? I assume that isn't your first reading a manga on the site so i don't quite understand why you ask. If the honorifics are here then i suposs they were here in the raws so there is no reason to translate them. Even so, in the context the -sama used is not really translatable.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Bye bye top student place

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I like magic and I like the setting but I can't help but wonder (and I know I shouldn't because this is a manga that probably doesn't want to go that deep into the matter), if you've been helping humans for like 300years and you're part of every or most nations, then when are you going to get revenge or why they haven't already? sounds like they can make an apocalypse right now.

I'm very curious about this revenge, what are they planning to do... maybe set the world in fire

last edited at Dec 7, 2019 9:22PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

Anyone else find the use of "sama" and "sensei" odd, I feel like those should have been translated.

Uh what ? I assume that isn't your first reading a manga on the site so i don't quite understand why you ask. If the honorifics are here then i suposs they were here in the raws so there is no reason to translate them. Even so, in the context the -sama used is not really translatable.

The manga clearly takes place outside of Japan, in this case leaving those very Japanese terms in place is pretty odd.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

The manga clearly takes place outside of Japan, in this case leaving those very Japanese terms in place is pretty odd.

You know that the author is Japanese right ? And the original version is in Japanese too ?With probably the sama and sensei use. We don't even know where it is since there is no indication of space, so yeah it could be no in Japan as it can totally be and even if it's not in Japan, i don't think that even a reason to translate the honorifics as,again, in the context, sama don't have a real translation who can fit.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

I'm intrigued, looking forward to more of this.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

This was...really good, reaaaaaaally good

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

You know that the author is Japanese right ? And the original version is in Japanese too ?With probably the sama and sensei use. We don't even know where it is since there is no indication of space, so yeah it could be no in Japan as it can totally be and even if it's not in Japan, i don't think that even a reason to translate the honorifics as,again, in the context, sama don't have a real translation who can fit.

I don't mind the honorifics even if it's outside of Japan, but ay no need to be so defensive about it.
Besides, the witch hunts/executions involving burning at the stake, there being kings, the architecture, the German words, more foreign words, the majority of the cast having western names such as Alice, Dolly and Miriam contrasting with the main girl's name being Muguruma Mari, the clothes of the villagers turning against witches (not to mention the fear and accusations of heresy), etc., are pretty blatant indicators lol
There may not be any explicit indication of where the school is, but I think the reader(s) you're replying to have more than a few good reasons for suspecting the setting to not be set in Japan, so you probably shouldn't be in such a rush to brush them off.

last edited at Dec 8, 2019 12:37PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

The author is Japanese? Whoa? Who knew? In that case they shouldn't translate it at all, the work was intended to be read in Japanese, they shouldn't change that vision.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

The author is Japanese? Whoa? Who knew? In that case they shouldn't translate it at all, the work was intended to be read in Japanese, they shouldn't change that vision.

I think it comes down to the translator's preference. The whole honorifics thing is so deeply ingrained in Japanese culture and dialogue that it often simply can't be translated into English without losing a lot of the meaning. Some translators prefer to leave in the honorifics in order to preserve that context and meaning and some prefer to translate what they can into nice smooth flowing 100% English while losing some of the meaning. It's not a big deal either way.

I don't see the point in people getting worked up about something so trivial regardless of their preference,

last edited at Dec 7, 2019 11:00PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

Excited for the next chapter of Big Witch Academia

12993445_1138540659544820_3317986680163613305_n
joined Dec 7, 2014

i like it a lot. cant wait for more

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

This is niceeeee. And was I the only one that didn't immediately think of little witch academia when I read this?

To reply you must either login or sign up.