Forum › Even Though We're Adults discussion

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I am really not sure if I get all the significance of what's going on with the sister-in-law. Why would them moving back help a shut-in sister?

My guess is the mother-in-law thinks having Ayano around will act as an example that motivates the youngest daughter to get out of the house/pursue a career/live up to expectations. Based on Wataru's commentary on his mother this chapter, this will end up badly for everyone involved.

last edited at Nov 6, 2019 10:26PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

Eh, my biggest issue with this mangaka has always been the disproportionate focus on side characters, so I'm really nervous about where this is heading. I hope it doesn't spend a bunch of time on his family.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

sorry but I think this is kinda boring to be honest

joined May 1, 2013

To take care of her so she can keep being shut-in and nobody learns about her to disgrace family.

My guess is the mother-in-law thinks having Ayano around will act as an example that motivates the youngest daughter to get out of the house/pursue a career/live up to expectations.

I like how we had two completely opposite explanations just immediately brought up for the same thing.

Oh well, I have to say I DO appreciate the writing (and translating) for the shitty mom passive-aggressiveness, bringing up the dad's injury just exactly when it'd be most effective.

joined Mar 29, 2019

Is it love or just a feeling?

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

this continues to surprise me. i'm enjoying the change of pace from most of the cute stuff i read. it's not really sad, just kind of a mess. either way, i'm looking forward to see where this bunch of confused melancholy idiots ends up.

0b955f79-53d7-4077-9788-189760d17f51
joined Aug 21, 2013

The mom needs to stfu and let them figure things out for themselves.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Anyone want to bet the sister-in-law is gay? This manga seems too realistic for that kind of coincidence, but it ain't completely out the realm of possibility

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

This made my day... worse :( shouldn't have read this first thing in the morning.

last edited at Nov 7, 2019 2:29AM

Altar2
joined Jun 16, 2019

I really enjoy the central story with the conflict between Ayano, Wataru and Akari, but all of this stuff with Wataru's family I just can't really bring myself to care about lol.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ You too?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Urk, crappy in-laws, of course. Just what we needed.

I do think however having some external factors involved makes sense, giving how ... how ... how much the 3 main characters are how they are. They'd never get anywhere by themselves ^^;

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Oh well, I have to say I DO appreciate the writing (and translating) for the shitty mom passive-aggressiveness, bringing up the dad's injury just exactly when it'd be most effective.

Nods Seeing people like that mom in stories like this makes me realize just how toxic someone from a seemingly normal family can be. She's hella good at pulling the guilt card, that's for sure.

Ymir-and-christa-lenz-historia-reiss-shingeki-no-kyojin-kittyluv57-38197762-736-429
joined May 19, 2014

I love this! I love the pacing, the story, the openness of the characters and the fresh take on the cheating trope. definitely a breath of fresh air. Please keep translating! Thank you!

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

To take care of her so she can keep being shut-in and nobody learns about her to disgrace family.

My guess is the mother-in-law thinks having Ayano around will act as an example that motivates the youngest daughter to get out of the house/pursue a career/live up to expectations.

I like how we had two completely opposite explanations just immediately brought up for the same thing.

Gee, and I was thinking that the point was less about the sister and more about the mother's attitude toward appearances, and what that would imply for her future treatment of Ayano.

Isn't it refreshing to have a series that's not so predictable?

last edited at Nov 7, 2019 9:47AM

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Small typo here at the bottom:
sking -> asking

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

sking -> asking

My headcanon is they're somewhere around Aomori and there's ten feet of snow and they're skiing her there.

joined Oct 22, 2018

sking -> asking

My headcanon is they're somewhere around Aomori and there's ten feet of snow and they're skiing her there.

Lmao

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

They are either acting as;
Saint-adults or silly-adults

But not adult-adults

I guess being an adult is really-really hard

last edited at Nov 7, 2019 1:22PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Another mess piles on.

The Mother-in-law's reaction rings so true. "Just a kiss, it doesn't count".

I think she cares more about how her family is going to be seen if he divorces than about his, or Ayano's, happiness.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I think she cares more about how her family is going to be seen if he divorces than about his, or Ayano's, happiness.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Another mess piles on.

Exactly this. Not to mention if it gets out that they divorced because Ayano hooked up with a woman. The mother-in-law infuriated me beyond belief here, but it is a fairly realistic take, especially considering it is Japan we are talking about.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I'm starting to wonder if her husband doesn't have some sort of problem. He certainly doesn't have a filter, that's for sure! First he blurted out the stuff about cheating and asking if it was a one-sided thing at the BBQ, after saying he wanted to go to the BBQ in the first place when Ayano was planning to decline, wisely. Then blurting out that they might get divorced to his mom and "she's really pretty". What ever happened to Japanese men being reserved? He couldn't say, "Mom, it's a private matter between us. We'll deal with it."?

But, then again, with the way his mother is, he probably couldn't... because he hasn't ever grown up... because she's still keeping him as her little boy and trying to control his life.

sorry but I think this is kinda boring to be honest

There's only been 6 chapters!

Anyone want to bet the sister-in-law is gay? This manga seems too realistic for that kind of coincidence, but it ain't completely out the realm of possibility

I wouldn't bet against that. I'm wondering if she'll move in with her in-laws and end up with her sister-in-law trying to make a move on her, against her wishes, after finding out about her cheating, getting walked in on, and her getting blamed for it, because she's the one who's been seeing a woman outside of her marriage, after all.

Maturity is not judging the way other adults choose to spend their free time because you realised it's none of your business.

Back when I had a kid who played hockey, I NEVER got to sleep in on weekends. Now that I'm older and my kids are older, sleeping until noon on the weekend is a totally regular occurrence for me. (My wife works most weekends though. She's a nurse at a hospital, so she's gone by 6:15 am the days she works.) I've always been of the opinion that a "Good Morning" is one where you don't wake up until afternoon...

(Well... actually... my youngest has moved back home now and is going to the local community college and working as a barista, so occasionally I have to get up to take her into work in the morning because she never got around to getting a driver's license because she was at a boarding school for math and science geeks and it made it really hard to get in the required driving time, then her first year of college was at a school IN Chicago where she couldn't have a car on campus anyway, so there wasn't any reason to bother... then she turned 18 and didn't have a valid permit anymore... We wouldn't want to pay for parking in downtown where she works anyway... so I guess the kids are still making me get up on the weekends sometimes... But her opening the place where she works at 10 or 11 or whatever is NOTHING compared to going to the hockey rink between 7 and 8 am for practice or a game!)

You've said too much. I may have gone to the same community college. Quite a while ago, though.

LOL! So did my wife!

As for the maturity part, we're analyzing characters and themes here, not actual people. And the way that scene is framed among the other panels there, I think we're encouraged to judge the guy. It goes along with the title. Even though we're adults, we do X. Like the off-handed invites from person to person here in chapter 5 without thinking about the consequences at all and then just stumbling into a horrifying social situation.
It's probably a larger comment on this is what adults are actually like. I feel like we're encouraged to judge, and then it's up to us to question those assumptions. What does it mean to be responsible in these situations? For the waking up early stuff, is it an example of the guy being irresponsible or is it just part of his character? Is it bad? Does he change?

As for the sleeping in thing, I think more than judging him, it's supposed to give us insight into their marriage. They get along well, but all the romance is gone. It's like the rings that neither of them wear.

I agree with you about the title, and the bbq. Clearly no one wanted it to end up like that, but Akari impulsively agreed to go, then impulsively invited Aya, then impulsively invited the husband. Aya told him about it without thinking, and then he agreed because he's sort of in shock and isn't thinking clearly.

Yeah, I kind of agree that the sleeping in is supposed to be a thing we're supposed to judge him on and that the title relates. But I don't really think that it pertains that much for people who don't have kids. There are plenty of people who sleep in on weekends when they are fully grown adults that aren't immature.

I don't think that we're supposed to think that the romance is GONE from their marriage. I think we're supposed to think that the romance was never THERE in their marriage. If you read through the part where she recalls how she ended up married, it really comes across as something UNROMANTIC:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/even_though_were_adults_ch02#19

And the wedding picture of the two of them on the page after that one? UGH! They look like they're in pain!

Another mess piles on.

Exactly this. Not to mention if it gets out that they divorced because Ayano hooked up with a woman. The mother-in-law infuriated me beyond belief here, but it is a fairly realistic take, especially considering it is Japan we are talking about.

It's obvious that she cares FAR more about appearances than she does about happiness. And she's even more concerned that Ayano get pregnant and start giving her grandchildren PRONTO because, after all, that's what she bought her for! What? You don't buy brides in the 21st century? Sorry... she didn't get the memo.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I wish I could transport into that manga, slap the mother-in-law and talk some sense into her.

Well, I can only hope somebody will do it.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I wish I could transport into that manga, slap the mother-in-law and talk some sense into her.

Well, I can only hope somebody will do it.

Don't we all! Sadly, I've known parents who were almost as bad or worse in other ways and you just can't slap sense into... I mean talk sense into them...

To reply you must either login or sign up.