Forum › Citrus + discussion

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Their reactions are so like ours. So realistic.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This forum could honestly work as a “We Hate Citrus” subreddit.

I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion, as many of the points made here are valid. However, I feel like I have to bring his to the table:

If you all genuinely hate this manga so much, why are you still reading it? Wouldn’t it be easier to drop it if you feel it’s such a waste of time?

I’m not attacking anyone, but as someone who genuinely enjoys this manga (and thinks it greatly makes up for the rushed ending of Volume 10), I’d really like you all to enlighten me on this.

And don’t dance around the subject either. If you honestly just read this manga because you enjoy hating it, tearing it apart and berating Saburouta, just say so upfront.

And if we don't read it and come to talk about it we will get said that we don't read it so we don't have the right to talk about it so what give ? Nobody here hate Citrus as a whole, just hate how Sabu decide to back off on the relation after she make Yuzu propose to Mei and she said yes. It feel we go back to start when in fact we are near the finish line.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion, as many of the points made here are valid. However, I feel like I have to bring his to the table:

If you all genuinely hate this manga so much, why are you still reading it? Wouldn’t it be easier to drop it if you feel it’s such a waste of time?

I’m not attacking anyone, but as someone who genuinely enjoys this manga (and thinks it greatly makes up for the rushed ending of Volume 10), I’d really like you all to enlighten me on this.

And don’t dance around the subject either. If you honestly just read this manga because you enjoy hating it, tearing it apart and berating Saburouta, just say so upfront.

Partly I’m reading this just to see what happens. I liked Citrus very well at first, and I once thought it could become one of the better series. It had a fascinating initial setup, and Sabu seemed to do a pretty good job of combining drama, romance, and comedy, (and was particularly well-suited to the latter). The art was, in general, pretty appealing, with some well-staged individual scenes.

I would say that as a reader at one point I was considerably invested in the Yuzu-Mei relationship, and I thought Mei in particular was an interesting character with lots of room for development. And some (although by no means all) of the side characters tended to be fairly vivid, and seemed to have their own internal lives.

Matsuri_wins (If I recall correctly) and I have agreed that up to about Chapter 24, where Mei and Yuzu agreed that they would go forward into their relationship together, with Mei as the mature, poised, knowledgeable one and Yuzu as the spontaneous, emotionally honest one, this was shaping up to be a really good series.

But eventually it became clear that in building up all the social and personal barriers to a happy yuri ending, the author had written herself into a corner that she actually had no viable plan for getting out of, and past a certain point the plot wandered pretty aimlessly, introduced unnecessary characters, pulled plot points out of nowhere (the arranged marriage in particular), and dragged out scenes to no purpose.

And the finale to the regular series was epically, universe-class, ridiculously bad—as if to say, “Remember all those chapters with all that angst? Fakeout—never mattered one little bit.”

So in some ways, keeping up with the series is a way of looking back and wondering, “Was I just deluded that this was ever any good?” as well as hoping that some flashes of those characters that I actually liked might somehow reappear (as did happen a little bit in the previous chapter of Citrus +, where we were reminded that Mei really was a strong, ambitious, confident person as opposed to a poorly programmed robot).

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

Reading these comments I'm seriously thinking of not giving citrus to dynasty anymore, sorry

joined Apr 25, 2019

I was wondering about the translation. When Sayaka and Miyabi are talking about the school rule, they say that the rule says “You’re free to do what you want as long as the school acknowledges your objective” (My dyslexia is hurting my head).

Not that I really understand Japanese (I found the raws), but shouldn’t it be more simplified?? Like...
“You are free to do what you want as long as the reason is accepted by the school”??

Isn’t this what it’s suppose to say?? Thoughts??

G-xnwzom_400x400
joined Sep 26, 2019

It's like Matsuri is the voice of the readers. Lol

Reading these comments I'm seriously thinking of not giving citrus to dynasty anymore, sorry

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 1:23PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ShoujoCent posted:

I thought that since the manga spend years showing the main couple the "+" meant that we could see other stuff, like side couples for example... So far... still waiting

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 1:10PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

We must not take this the wrong way, it is better to have constructive criticism than simple praise in each chapter....
The problem is that sabu is standing still on this citrus+, and characters like mei and yusu do not evolve even though they have gone through the most difficult period.
They live together, sleep together, go to school together but still don't talk to each other, I don't mind that there is naivety and shyness but we reach new heights... it's illogical what happens mei and yusu should kiss each other ,go out, share much more now, we don't even see what happens in their privacy, nothing, it's frustrating.

just admit it ure all here hoping for sexy time with the art style

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Oh jeez another "don't like, don't read" comment. Literally half of this thread is consisted of comments like yours. Just let people discuss what they want here. Sure there are people who stopped reading and come in to make a jab here and there, but most people aren't just straight hating on it; they're just criticizing it (which you also acknowledge).

A lot of us have followed this for years so we're invested in these characters now and if people are like me, we just wanna find out what happens, and then discuss what is happening (good or bad).

Anyway as for the chapter, I don't mind Mei's characterization here and I'm not as frustrated as others about the backwards relationship because Mei is just so much more tolerable in + than the og series. Sure I roll my eyes that they went from steamy make outs in the middle of a fuckin train, to getting off while standing 5 feet apart in an elevator doing nothing, but at least Mei isn't an irritating douchebag anymore.

I'm still kinda sad that this series isn't a sol spin off that'll just focus on the og crew's relationships. I groaned at the addition of new characters. I understand why they've been added since it's a new school year and it'd feel more realistic to show other 1st years besides Matsuri, but I don't trust Saburouta to ever handle new characters well. The series always takes a dip when a new char comes in. The new char arcs are always a mess and takes a couple of chapters after to stabilize again.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Just a not to the translator: You have an interesting way of spelling 'rigid' there.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

We must not take this the wrong way, it is better to have constructive criticism than simple praise in each chapter....
The problem is that sabu is standing still on this citrus+, and characters like mei and yusu do not evolve even though they have gone through the most difficult period.

This is very much to the point. In particular, the regression of Mei made a certain kind of sense when she was basically trapped between her own feelings for Yuzu and what she felt were her societal obligations to her family, especially regarding the school (remember, very early on she announced her ambition to take over the running the school, which was her personal goal for herself separate from anything having to do with Yuzu). Her emotional paralysis there was at least justified by the circumstances (although it contradicted her “There is no right answer. All we can do is what we are doing” resolution when she accepted Yuzu’s love).

But now all that has been resolved—their relationship is out in the open, the plans for the school are in place, she has the (grudging) approval of the Aihara family, her immediate family and friends are nothing but supportive—but rather than loosening up Mei is more bottled up and self-conscious than ever.

Putting aside all the literary analysis for a moment—the visceral basis of the appeal of Citrus was that Mei and Yuzu were always a hot, cute couple. If Citrus+ is neither going to explore the side characters nor show the main couple being hot and cute, what in fact is the point?

joined Mar 8, 2019

I am curious to see how they are going to reach their happily ever after. I mean, Mei has a responsibility to the school... I doubt parents and the board would want to elect a Chairperson who is involved in a romantic relationship with their step sibling?

Here we get to see how Mei’s faced with obstacles. I want to see how she handles these problems. Out of the two of them, Mei has the most to lose so to speak. I really want to see Mei FINALLY take a stand and actively choose Yuzu since in Citrus, it was just Yuzu making all the effort to be with Mei.

Of course I want to see them tackle the hardships together as well....

We all know they get married but I want to read their journey to get to their happily ever after because it’s going to be a rough road.

I’d also like to read about what happens after.

We are slowly watching them grow and I’m liking how the characters are evolving.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Who even are those two lmao

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

That much is obvious.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That much is obvious.

They are at a point in their relation where that should be the logical next step. They already kiss, go on date,made a marriage proposal and even hold hands. It's not like they have a lot of things they haven't done but for some reasons, we got back to getting flustered just by sweet talking to each other when it should be normal

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 2:19PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Just read the translation. I really cannot understand how editors allow Sabu to take the story in this strange, amorphous direction. Citrus has so much potential, goddamnit!!!

She has not only 2, but 4 characters fans love that she could make super cool stories about, even if it was just cheap drama like romantic triangles, quadrangles...or take the more normal route of showing their friendships, as 2 separate couples. A story of how Matsuri and Harumin get together could literally be a whole series in itself.

Anyway, no point wishing for what will never be x_X

last edited at Oct 19, 2019 2:29PM

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

Thank you all for your answers. I understand your opinions wholeheartedly. I can see how Mei seemingly regressing throughout the story could be frustrating. I, however, don’t see it that way.

Mei clearly knew she was treating Yuzu terribly throughout the second half of Citrus, as she was basically leading her on he entire time they were together. Then, in Volume 10, the two were essentially broken up without any explanation, which caused Yuzu immense pain. However, she was willing to forgive Mei and get engaged to her in he blink of an eye. A plot point which, I think we can all agree, was rushed.

Mei, however, seems to know this and wants to make up for basically lying to Yuzu the entire time by taking their relationship slow and steady, and giving Yuzu the proper love she deserves. Of course, this is complicated since she has to balance being lovey-dovey with being a strict and upstanding Student Council President, and eventually the Chairwoman of the board.

Thankfully, this chapter finally acknowledged that their time as youths isn’t going to last forever, and now it seems like this arc is going to revolve around Mei learning to put Yuzu before her responsibilities, if that’s even possible. (It’ll be interesting to see how Sayaka plays into this all this...)

All in all, I understand everyone’s frustration with Mei being built up, then falling back to square one and having to essentially start over again, but given how she feels that she never treated Yuzu fairly to begin with, this path seems perfectly natural for her. Or maybe I’ve just been blessed with endless patience or something XD

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Citrus+ continues to disappoint and just seems purposeless and rudderless. Still no Mei pov, still no romance at all really. It seems like all the rest of the cast has done is just sit at tables and wait for Yuzu to gush at them about her robot girlfriend. Now some new characters have been added out of nowhere because of the author can't ever organically create drama and move the story forward without adding new ones.

Also, I didn’t hate Citrus
I got hooked on it when I first started it and couldn’t stop reading till 7 it was only till the last two chapters that I soured to the series
Still I was somewhat optimistic about +
I want this series to be good and I hold a sliver of hope that it will be

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

A story of how Matsuri and Harumin get together could literally be a whole series in itself.

Another useless lesbian with an overactive one ? I don't think i'm ready for this.

I genuinely enjoys the series too, as for everyone else some like it & some don't.
Some people just like to nick pick, rant & complain about everything or just like hearing themselves talk.

Everyone has their own opinions on things, so I just agee to disagree on most of the community people make here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I feel some of you are overexaggerating things. Like, Sayaka and Miyabi aren't even causing that much of a turmoil for Yuzu and Mei so calling it drama is uncalled for.

Personally I liked this chapter. We've known for a while that Mei has absolutely zero idea of how handling emotions, so she becoming a shrinking violet every time the Yuzu train hits her with cuteness is very in character. And not only that, she's clearly struggling to be mature about the whole thing and keep things relatively low profile to avoid causing needlessly conflict at school.

Sayaka's beef with the new rules is a reasonable stance to have for someone that is a "mini-Mei" of sorts, valuing customs and rules more than anything, but the fact she got her crush/gf enrolled at Aihara's precisely due to those values, makes for an interesting dynamic.

And yeah, Sabu definitely used Matsuri to acknowledge the criticisms about the lack of steamy action.

joined May 17, 2019

"If you continue this relationship at Mei's pace... You'll turn into a grandma before you get Anywhere"
THE. BEST. LINE. Of the whole citrus.

joined Apr 5, 2018

I just love how excited Yuzu gets over the simplest of romantic things. I laughed so hard to everyones reaction to her build up that they kissed for the first time. They all just looked so defeated. Also seeing Mei's reactions to Yuzu's deep love is always so adorable.

To reply you must either login or sign up.