Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Quiescent-Rose posted:

This is weird, it feels more like an original manga than a translated one. Maybe it’s the dialogue — it feels kinda western.

Sexy Akiba Detectives heavily localize their translations. It's probably because of that.

Nothing wrong with that, this translation it's awesome, you want more Japanese-ish read the original ...

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

TifalovesAerith posted:

Quiescent-Rose posted:

This is weird, it feels more like an original manga than a translated one. Maybe it’s the dialogue — it feels kinda western.

Sexy Akiba Detectives heavily localize their translations. It's probably because of that.

Nothing wrong with that, this translation it's awesome, you want more Japanese-ish read the original ...

I was simply saying why they could feel that dialogue feels western.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

This is a bad time to have sex.

Linterdiction
Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

It’s so awesome to see a yuri manga with a complex relationship between realistic, human adults. Don’t get me wrong, the cutesy stuff is really nice, but I feel that one of the big challenges for lesbians (and queer people in general), especially in places like Japan where being open is neither accepted nor common, is the lack of realistic representation of what one’s experiences might be like. I remember reading an article a while back proposing that one of the great burdens homophobia and heteronormative society places on queer people is preventing us from openly exploring romance and our sexualities the way straight people are encouraged to, thereby denying us an important chance to learn how to establish and maintain healthy relationships, and I believe the lack of accessible, realistic queer media compounds that problem. One of the valuable things about media of all types is that it allows us to learn from others’ experience or provides a scaffolding for counterfactual thinking, giving us the opportunity to have low-risk, low-cost experiences for ourselves that help prepare us for the future, or ready us for nuances of life that are difficult to pick up on one’s own; with that in mind, the ability to read about or see romantic relationships between people like you is crucial to help the romantic and sexual development of queer people at any age, even more so when we don’t have ready opportunity to experience things for ourselves or talk to others like us. Thus, I think this work is not only excellent and interesting on the level of an artistic pursuit (which of course has its own value, but there’s been lots of discussion about that), I also think it has a real value in terms of human well-being, too; this kind of work, which explores the positives and negatives of a specific lesbian relationship in a concrete way (that is, the scenario isn’t abstract “anime bullshit” that represents a cool idea, but is rather a depiction of the human condition), meets an important and rarely-fulfilled need for realistic representation, and seeing that kind of thing really gives me hope. I’m really grateful for what tmfly is doing here, and I can’t wait to see where the story leads!

Aaaah I really like this manga.

As for sex, well, everyone is different. I tend to meet a lot of women that are very casual about sex which is super frustrating because I'm not. We don't all have the same feeling/conception about sex. For some it's just a leisure or a playing thing ; for others it's an important act. I think the MCs just have different feelings about this. It's super common. (at least for me it is...)

same here, like sex has a deeper meaning for me

Yup, same.

Also, I really adore Miwa, she's such a dreamer and I see a lot of myself in her.

Kill
joined Mar 20, 2019

F

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Some people are high maintenance... But then some people like driving BMWs and classic cars, even if they have to work on them.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Oh no.. no no no!
Having read that other "version" (?) I have a bad feeling about this

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It’s so awesome to see a yuri manga with a complex relationship between realistic, human adults. Don’t get me wrong, the cutesy stuff is really nice, but I feel that one of the big challenges for lesbians (and queer people in general), especially in places like Japan where being open is neither accepted nor common, is the lack of realistic representation of what one’s experiences might be like. I remember reading an article a while back proposing that one of the great burdens homophobia and heteronormative society places on queer people is preventing us from openly exploring romance and our sexualities the way straight people are encouraged to, thereby denying us an important chance to learn how to establish and maintain healthy relationships, and I believe the lack of accessible, realistic queer media compounds that problem. One of the valuable things about media of all types is that it allows us to learn from others’ experience or provides a scaffolding for counterfactual thinking, giving us the opportunity to have low-risk, low-cost experiences for ourselves that help prepare us for the future, or ready us for nuances of life that are difficult to pick up on one’s own; with that in mind, the ability to read about or see romantic relationships between people like you is crucial to help the romantic and sexual development of queer people at any age, even more so when we don’t have ready opportunity to experience things for ourselves or talk to others like us. Thus, I think this work is not only excellent and interesting on the level of an artistic pursuit (which of course has its own value, but there’s been lots of discussion about that), I also think it has a real value in terms of human well-being, too; this kind of work, which explores the positives and negatives of a specific lesbian relationship in a concrete way (that is, the scenario isn’t abstract “anime bullshit” that represents a cool idea, but is rather a depiction of the human condition), meets an important and rarely-fulfilled need for realistic representation, and seeing that kind of thing really gives me hope. I’m really grateful for what tmfly is doing here, and I can’t wait to see where the story leads!

Paragraphs.

Sample_0bc66a359c3af4a24555c4bef5b4c655
joined Oct 5, 2015

"I'd never say that to your face"
But she absolutely would behind her back

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Quiescent-Rose posted:

Yeah, really not a fan of heavy localization. It's one thing to, say, render Osakan dialect as Texan dialect (it's the closest equivalent in American English). It's another thing to, say, universally drop all Japanese honorific suffixes without exception, or replace all Japanese culture-specific metaphors and wordplays with American culture-specific ones just because the translation is aimed at an American audience and you believe that there's no value in keeping the foreign cultural content.

But the prize for the worst example of heavy localization goes to the English dub of the Pokemon anime's inconsistent name changes for the Japanese food known as onigiri, often referred to in English as simply "rice balls" (because that's essentially what they are). From donuts to sandwiches to cakes to onions (WTF?! How does a ball of rice even remotely look like an onion???) to popcorn balls to cookies, and even a few times the dubbers actually went as far as to digitally edit the onigiri into Western food (it didn't go well with the fans).

I despise the patronizing tone with that last part of the post. As if it's easy to learn how to read Japanese; the average Japanese person needs to learn about TWO-TO-THREE THOUSAND kanji just for everyday use, with an additional few thousand more for occasional use. Unlike native Japanese people, we do not have the benefit of having been learning the language from a very young age and over the course of a decade and a half.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Right? That was fucked up

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

This sort of plot where there's a big dispute because the characters have different views on sex just annoys me. Especially when one of the characters is like Saeko. If she says she's ready, she's fucking ready! Don't second-guess her because of your own issues with irrational guilt. And now she's probably gonna cheat on her because she would feel bad about sleeping with her, or some stupid shit like that.

joined Apr 23, 2019

What means a phrase "she is hard work"? If anyone could explain why Miwa was crying being hurt hearing it, appreciate.

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 12:06AM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Daaaaaaw. They try so hard. And Sae is so considerate. My like of her just rose a few notches.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Right? That was fucked up

I think she was just panicking. I don't think she is as horrible as the kind of people she sounds exactly like in this instance. I think she would say it but phrase it differently. I could be wrong though.

She just seems like more of a ditz than a mean person.

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 12:10AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

What means a phrase "she is hard work"? If anyone could explain why Miwa was crying being hurt hearing it, appreciate.

What they mean is that Miwa is a difficult person to deal with. Being around her is stressful or emotionally draining. because one feels compelled to attend to her emotional needs. Probably something along the lines of "high maintenance".

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 12:43AM

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

"- So that made me realise I have no interest in men and I only wanted to bang with girls
+ Maybe was that him sucked?
- THAT'S NOT THE POINT"
Oh, shit, this hits near home... Why always if you have experience with men trying to be normal people say "maybe he wasn't the correct" like if someone of them could actually work instead of that heteronormativity suck...

Also I like the translation, in Spain mangas they also don't use honorifics and I like the accent.
And

As if it's easy to learn how to read Japanese; the average Japanese person needs to learn about TWO-TO-THREE THOUSAND kanji just for everyday use, with an additional few thousand more for occasional use.

And averague native person of whatever language knows more than 10k of words. Spanish has more than 80k. What's different about 力 = power and 人 = person? In the end they are words, just because the way they are writting is hard for adults doesn't mean that it's that hard to see that all languagues has words and it's a way to have them. Know 3k of words I think that it's pretty normal.

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 1:11AM

joined Apr 23, 2019

What they mean is that Miwa is a difficult person to deal with. Being around her is stressful or emotionally draining. because one feels compelled to attend to her emotional needs. Probably something along the lines of "high maintenance".

Thank you very much, now I understand better what it was about...
Sometimes phrases in other languages and parts of the world can't be so clear for people who live in other places, and here it happened to me and I really needed to ask.
You are very kind and helped me to understand, appreciate.

P.S. Not so sure that I can still find adequate phrase in my language, but the closest could be "hard walnut", I think...It's when person is like in a shell, and if you try to break it with teeth you get hurt your teeth, not the shell...Probably that's it.

last edited at Jun 8, 2019 1:32AM

joined Jul 4, 2018

F

F

F
And that’s game...

joined Jul 4, 2018

Oh boy, aw man.
This is where the real feels are gonna hit huh? 7 chptrs in the making.

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

I don’t like where this is going...

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

"- So that made me realise I have no interest in men and I only wanted to bang with girls
- THAT'S NOT THE POINT"
Oh, shit, this hits near home... Why always if you have experience with men trying to be normal people say "maybe he wasn't the correct" like if someone of them could actually work instead of that heteronormativity suck...

Also I like the translation, in Spain mangas they also don't use honorifics and I like the accent.
And

As if it's easy to learn how to read Japanese; the average Japanese person needs to learn about TWO-TO-THREE THOUSAND kanji just for everyday use, with an additional few thousand more for occasional use.

And averague native person of whatever language knows more than 10k of words. Spanish has more than 80k. What's different about 力 = power and 人 = person? In the end they are words, just because the way they are writting is hard for adults doesn't mean that it's that hard to see that all languagues has words and it's a way to have them. Know 3k of words I think that it's pretty normal.

learning vocabulary and learning kanji are two very different things. i don't know a single language (not saying there aren't) other than chinese ofc and maybe egyptian and any spin off from that, that has a different character for practicaly every word in existence. so yes, harder. MOST langauges have a normal alphabet or some version of it that they use.

Ushi-nooo
joined Aug 20, 2014

- THAT'S NOT THE POINT"

And

learning vocabulary and learning kanji are two very different things. i don't know a single language (not saying there aren't) other than chinese ofc and maybe egyptian and any spin off from that, that has a different character for practicaly every word in existence. so yes, harder. MOST langauges have a normal alphabet or some version of it that they use.

Agree. Now if it's just speaking then the difficulty should be the same, but to learn to read, memorizing unique characters for thousands of words is ridic ok

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

At times like these I appreciate the experience of not knowing how long a work is going to be. If this was a film I could look at the time now and see if there's 5 or 120 minutes left and have instant out-of-band information for interpreting how things are going to go from here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.