Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I uphold the notion that Kase-san has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film.

There is definitely a bit too much reading into things going on here. I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

death of the author

Is the most bullshit concept ever to exist in literary analysis, created by egomaniacal critics who are determined to prove that THEY'RE just as important, if not more so, than any author. As far as I'm concerned, they can stuff those analyses right back up the orifice they excreted them out of.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

people that are calling her controlling is the dumbest thing ive heard today

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 6:32PM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I want to see Kase fully dressed up and with makeup, and Yamada in sportswear. (╯✧ ∇ ✧)╯

joined May 7, 2017

Pure = Yamada

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

death of the author

Death of the author simply means that the author's intent isn't privileged when it comes to analyzing an author's work.

0000slan1
joined Apr 7, 2018

Kase-san should know how Yamada is and can't say no easily because she's a shy girl.

She should have a little more faith in Yamada after all this time.

No, she shouldn't, as you said yourself:

Kase-san should know how Yamada is and can't say no easily because she's a shy girl. >

Yamada clearly had no idea what she was doing from the beginning and the speed at which she lost control of the situation just show that Kase has no reason to trust her when it comes to dealing with men and strangers in general, as someone else already said, you don't throw someone who can't swim into the ocean.

Kase reaction was right and completely justified in this situation, Yamada wanted to show her that she was a big girl and almost got burned, in the best case scenario she would have had a very unpleasant time, and in real life (or in a much darker manga) it would have been much worse than simply unpleasant.

If Yamada wants to learn to become more independent there are much safer way to do it, but it wasn't just about becoming more independent in this case, she also did it to spite Kase, to tell her "I don't need you, I can do whatever I want" and it was an absolute failure.

On an unrelated note, what's up with this whole mixer culture in Japan? Does this exist in other country as well? There is no such thing in my country, and quite frankly, it seems completely stupid to me.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

Death of the author, and all that. What it's supposed to be and how it comes across are two different things.

It comes across as a cute, fluffy yuri story with mild drama. I do not see Kase-san "possessive" at all. Please remember that her girlfriend goes with a stranger (to Kase) to a fucking mixer (its not like this is a harmless social gathering) with college boys who will definitely try to get her into their bed.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Death of the author, and all that. What it's supposed to be and how it comes across are two different things.

It comes across as a cute, fluffy yuri story with mild drama. I do not see Kase-san "possessive" at all. Please remember that her girlfriend goes with a stranger (to Kase) to a fucking mixer (its not like this is a harmless social gathering) with college boys who will definitely try to get her into their bed.

Please remember Kase is her girlfriend not her mom and she is not 15. She does not get to dictate who her girlfriend associates with and she does not get to forbid her from doing things because she is her equal not her guardian. The issue is not Kase having concerns about the situation it is about her handling those concerns in quite possibly the least respectful way possible and treating Yamada like a child instead of like an equal partner in their relationship. Instead of discussing her concerns with Yamada and reaching a compromise they could both agree on she first tried to simply forbid Yamada from going and then when that failed showed up without any warning and physically dragged her away. That's not an appropriate way to treat your partner.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

On an unrelated note, what's up with this whole mixer culture in Japan? Does this exist in other country as well?

It's pretty much akin to speed dating in the West except it's informal and alcohol is involved.

It's done in Japan because there is almost no time to be socializing with other people.

Guys who come but don't care for relationships are there for sex and there have been cases where rape happens.

joined Oct 27, 2018

It comes across as a cute, fluffy yuri story with mild drama.

Well sure, not to speak for anyone else, but i don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. Y'all seem to think we are making a stronger condemnation of this story than we actually are, or at least me anyway i dont speak for anyone else. I don't think Kase is this horrible controlling monster or anything like that. I don't think she INTENDS to act controlling towards Yamada, but she comes across that way, even to Yamada. Kase just has some jealousy problems,and has difficulty expressing this in a healthy way, to be fair so does Yamada but she expresses it differently. While at this point I think it is mostly a minor problem, I do think it is a barrier to a truly healthy and productive relationship.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Best girl! Best tomboy! Best girlfriend! Best lesbian! Kase is just the absolute best!

Carmilla%20reading
joined Sep 15, 2015

I keep expecting that they make out one day, but it just never comes, why

joined Jun 23, 2017

Kase in that suit was dayum!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I keep expecting that they make out one day, but it just never comes, why

Isn't that implied in the last page depending on how you see things? Like, she's implying that maybe for Kase's birthday she should give her more than a gift(like more than an object) ... And that can mean many things, a date maybe but this is a manga so it wouldn't be weird to see more for a sense of progress

joined May 24, 2014

They're underage AND DRINKING!

Oh my!

Oh wow, I guess this is truly japan

E19418efd5cf90129f366e240e5156b3
joined Sep 12, 2014

I uphold the notion that Kase-san has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film.

There is definitely a bit too much reading into things going on here. I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

death of the author

Is the most bullshit concept ever to exist in literary analysis, created by egomaniacal critics who are determined to prove that THEY'RE just as important, if not more so, than any author. As far as I'm concerned, they can stuff those analyses right back up the orifice they excreted them out of.

Found the literary major! :D

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It comes across as a cute, fluffy yuri story with mild drama.

Well sure, not to speak for anyone else, but i don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. Y'all seem to think we are making a stronger condemnation of this story than we actually are, or at least me anyway i dont speak for anyone else. I don't think Kase is this horrible controlling monster or anything like that. I don't think she INTENDS to act controlling towards Yamada, but she comes across that way, even to Yamada. Kase just has some jealousy problems,and has difficulty expressing this in a healthy way, to be fair so does Yamada but she expresses it differently. While at this point I think it is mostly a minor problem, I do think it is a barrier to a truly healthy and productive relationship.

This is the most reasonable articulation of the issue from that perspective that I've yet seen. I think that some people have been jumping from "if Kase did this in real life it would be bad" to "Kase doing this in the story shows she's bad." As many others have pointed out, in the terms the story sets up it's only "bad" in the sense of being a narrative conflict that gets happily resolved (as usual).

I laid out my sense of the jealousy matter in this relationship earlier--short version, they admire each other so much that they each can be oblivious to the other's vulnerabilities, and they also think the other person is so wonderful that they worry that they might find someone better at any moment.

I think that in real life what Kase-san did is problematic unless one's partner is a vegetable being grown in a hydroponic tank (they can be identified by sprouts appearing out of their head at moments of surprise and stress).

I hope we can all at least agree on that.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I think Kase's jealousy is well founded even if i agree that she handles the situation in a somewhat unhealthy possessive way, dating mixers aren't a harmless social gathering.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

death of the author

Found the literary major! :D

...You're not wrong.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I agree Blastaar, I'm not saying "this is totally not OK!!!!" More like "she would better off not acting like that" because realistically it could lead to problems later... But their love is genuine so I know they'll make it through

Gits-innocence4
joined Sep 22, 2013

I want to see Kase fully dressed up and with makeup, and Yamada in sportswear. (╯✧ ∇ ✧)╯

"Reverse the polarity!"

Everything Explodes

joined Dec 18, 2018

I'm not sure why people keep calling the mixer a "social gathering". Now I might not be too familiar with the Japanese concept of mixers, but aren't they basically group dates?

I can definitely see why Kase is upset that her girlfriend wants to go on a group date, who wouldn't be?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Also, I have to say that Kase looked both sexy and mature dressed in her suit and with lipstick on.

Nicouriconimp%20140px
joined Sep 5, 2012

Gosh, I love the chapter so much. I hope seven seas also license this one.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I'm not sure why people keep calling the mixer a "social gathering". Now I might not be too familiar with the Japanese concept of mixers, but aren't they basically group dates?

I can definitely see why Kase is upset that her girlfriend wants to go on a group date, who wouldn't be?

My impression from years of watching japanese cartoons is that they're meetups for singles. Which is pretty much just as bad if you're not in an open relationship. Probably worse.
Kase didn't handle it perfectly, but it felt in-character for her. She's astonishingly insecure when it comes to Yamada's love for her. They're both that way, though Yamada's insecurity seems at least a little more well-founded considering Kase's popularity and outgoing nature. You'd think by now they'd be a bit more confident, but I guess it makes for better drama when they continue to be sort of clueless.
I still love these dorks though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.