Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

I’m not sure if there’s a right or wrong choice in this situation... but somehow Kase is just rubbing me the wrong way. Kase is free to express her opinion and free to feel jealous, insecure or worried etc, but what she’s expecting if Yamada, is not the same expectations she sets on herself, and it comes across as a double standard. She complains that Yamada isn’t listening to her, but she’s not even listening to what Yamada says. Kase says “you haven’t been thinking about me at all” even though Yamada asked Kase first about going. Yamada said that she isn’t going because she wants to go to the mixer because she wants to look for someone, but because she wants to support her friend (who wants to go). I’m not sure it’s fair for Kase to judge whether Yamada’s explanation is valid either. Again, Kase it’s totally fine to express how she feels, but once she starts judging whether or not Yamada’s choice is valid it comes off as egotistical/narcissistic (especially since she neglects to tell Yamada what she is doing or ask how Yamada feels about Kase going on a trip).
I’m glad Yamada stood by her decision initially. In the end the reasons for Yamada going grew more complicated (not just to support her friend but also possibly because she was feeling neglected).

Yeah Yamada may not know exactly how mixers work, but they doesn’t mean she wants or needs Kase to save her. Part of growing up is figuring things out on your own. I can understand Kase’s desire to protect the person she loves but at the same time she also needs to respect her gf’s choice. And just because someone hits on Yamada, doesn’t mean Yamada will show interest in that person. Yamada is totally capable of saying, “NO” on her own (and in the past has been shown to be firm for certain things when pushed). Also, and more importantly, Yamada going to the mixer was just to be her friend’s wingman at a mixer (IE the friend wanted to go to a mixer (finding a date maybe implied, but not necessarily what the friend wanted ). I think being someone’s wingman at a dating event and dating someone can be mutually exclusive.

Maybe it’s because we see the series from Yamada’s point of view so we don’t know what exactly is going on through Kase’s mind... but from her actions, Kase seems to set a double standard. I would have thought Kase showing up was cool, but from her initial reaction it seems like she’s just trying to control the situation and doesn’t trust Yamada.

In the end though, they’ve still got a lot of growing to do, so hopefully the mangaka continues exploring the feelings and complications that come up. I think the mangaka has done a good job of showing growth on Yamada’s side (maybe because we seem to spend more time in her head) so hopefully we will also get to see Kase’s growth.

joined Sep 6, 2018

I'd like to know what Kase-san is studying in college. It can't be too challenging to suck up all her time as a track star. It's gotta be something easy enough to just sit through in college and get the four year degree... any guesses what that major could be?

Japanese colleges are a little different from the american system. Japanese kids have a much fiercer and broad high school curriculum compared to american kids, and college is hard to get into, but is relatively easy. That changes a bit if you're a member of a formal team. Kase's classwork probably isn't hard at all. She's probably phys ed or something, to compliment her talents and club activities. It's her club activities as a member of the track team that are demanding of her time.

Wait, we know that Kase is specifically going to sports university. (I had no idea such things existed until I started reading manga). We haven't seen anyone on her campus doing anything except sports.

Yamada is going to a flowers-and-trees university, after all.

And Heavensrun, I got the idea that the "mixer" wasn't just an ad hoc thing organized by random students, but that the bar was a kind of "get 'em drunk and get laid" mixer mill, where the three guys are considered "regulars."

And is it just me being influenced by the sharper tone of recent chapters, or is Kase looking both sharp and a bit sinister in that last panel?

Thanks for the responses... OK, so Kase-san is a physical education major ("This isn't college, this is AMWAY with a track team!"-- Comedian Richard Jenning). I mean, I don't recollect any subjects she had been studying in high school, all I remember is she had high marks in school to land her in her university of choice.

I guess in the mangaka's literary universe, the universities serve as background just like high school-- they don't deserve any more detail than that as it would distract the reader's focus on the story. I do enjoy the story so far, hopefully this series will establish a social circle of friends accepting of their relationship, which I consider crucial to keeping such a relationship going.

It's interesting to see there's no real drama occurring yet.

joined Jun 28, 2018

As excited as I am at the concept of more Yamada and Kase stories, I really wish that Takashima san would focus more on their current lives and going forward rather than doing flashbacks. I'm still enjoying it though, don't get me wrong, but I hoped this series was going to show them getting a bit closer and more lovey dovey.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

OK, so Kase-san is a physical education major

I think it’s more like she’s a track major. A “sports university” (or a dedicated school within a larger university) in Japan isn’t like a US university that teaches everything but people only care about the sports teams—the institution is specifically for athletes (and people in related professions).

https://www.nittai.ac.jp/eng/

https://www.u-tokai.ac.jp/english/academics/undergraduate/physical_education.html

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Yamada is totally capable of saying, “NO” on her own [..]

Lemme quote Yamada herself here ^^:
"W-well, we're not exactly that close yet... so it's kinda hard to turn her down. I'd rather not go if I could, though..."

While I fully appreciate what you mean, especially the learning curve Yamada has to go through on her own, Yamada put herself into a situation she couldn't control from the start, due to her pre-existing inabilities to properly socialize.

Kase says “you haven’t been thinking about me at all” even though Yamada asked Kase first about going.

I'm not sure if that's a translation issue or if it's Kase's own inability to express her thoughts... but I kinda had a different take-away from her saying that. Yes, it's implied from Kase's response ("The answer is no!") that Yamada did ask for permission (although, Yamada later worded it as "asking for advice" - whatever that's supposed to mean), but it's also rather implied, that Yamada already sorta made up her mind in going either way - her reasoning already firm and steady. Secondly... It's a mixer. From what I know about japanese culture and mixers, well, I can understand how Kase is like "So, you want to go to a dating-event of all things. Did you think about the fact that we are dating? Or are we not dating... how am I supposed to feel about you dropping information on me?"
It's not about "asking Kase first", but doing so without reflecting on the concept of "mixer"; basically telling her girlfriend that she's planning to go to such an event. (In that regard, I found at least Kase's suggestion to "just go someplace else" rather reasonable.)
Also, I'm not sure where you got that Yamada considers herself a 'wingman'..? At least, in the bit of conversation portrayed, Yamada didn't express that idea towards Kase. Even if that was the plan. But if that were true - at least in my mind, Yamada and the definition of "wingman" just. won't. match. XD (How is one to mingle when the person next to you is a gibbering mess because of all the strangers trying to get close and comfy?)
Not to mention, Hana-chan appears to be just as much out of her comfort zone in the end, and likely didn't think the whole thing through - the way Kase automatically did, because Kase is much more informed in social matters.

That aside, yes. Kase's just as wound up in her own day-to-day life and rather inconsiderate herself, by neglecting to tell her girlfriend about her school-activities that will separate them for a whole friggin week until a single days's notice!!
Kase laughing off information about her roomy ("Not that you need to know about that kinda stuff, Yamada.") very much did come across as patronizing. (Not to mention Kase 'apologizing' for her absence / late information sharing by offering Yamada to buy her souvenir... that really rubbed me wrong. Yamada's not a child nor a dog.)

They most certainly both have a lot to learn. Communication is very important, girls! Use words!

But, I adore this manga. Because, while we can see the characters' flaws and mistakes, it's rather relatable. Learning how to relationship is a thing. When you're in it, it's easy to not notice one owns missteps.
And I don't even think the reasons for the "drama" are in any way unrealistic or exaggerated. It's the small things we have to learn. Every day.
A couple still has two heads.

And lastly: WE NEED MORE KASE-POV! STAT! ^^;;;;; Pretty please!? ö.ö

last edited at Dec 16, 2018 5:19PM

joined Dec 18, 2016

OMG. Kase looks super handsome in the last page.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

So going to a sports university in Japan is sort of like being in the military, only without the guns and cool uniforms?

I mean, roll call and cell phone bans, etc.--what's the career path that makes putting up with that shit worthwhile?

Olympian. Or bust.

Kase in the 2020 Olympics arc soon

Mitsukieye
joined Apr 6, 2018

Both of them have made mistakes and need to communicate better. Though if it were me, I would cope better with my gf saying "I'm going to be away for a week and might not be able to talk to you" than with "I'm going to a dating event with a person I just met."

Hopefully Kase realises how being away from her and living with another girl makes Yamada feel, and hopefully Yamada realises how being away from her and going to a date night makes Kase feel. Then they hug and kiss.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Then they hug and kiss.

...here's me hoping Kase will introduce the concept of "makeup sex" to their relationship x^.^x

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

When next chapter?

joined Apr 17, 2018

The next volume of Wings, the magazine that has Yamada to Kase-san, tweeted that the next edition will be published on the 28th of December, here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/Wings_Official/status/1077414680337932290

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Being gorgeous and handsome simultaneously somehow isn't beyond physics, like I thought earlier:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch07#28
Kase-san, I salute you for literally breaking my understanding of science.

joined Apr 17, 2018

A sample from the latest volume of Wings.
https://twitter.com/Wings_Official/status/1077888916273868802

joined Apr 17, 2018

Here's a colour illustration from the latest chapter Ginger Ale and Kase-san:
https://twitter.com/Wings_Official/status/1078496620738560000

joined Aug 10, 2015

Hmm...okay, so here's what I think about the whole mixer situation: Yamada is that kind of person who isn't really,...well, I'd say familiar with social settings. She's never been to a mixer before, only has a vague image of it, so she thought it'd be alright to go, since her friend asked her. She wants to "give her best for her" as she said, it's the first time she made a friend on her own so it's natural that she doesn't really understand where Kase-san is coming from. However, I think Kase-san was a bit overreacting, she should've explained Yamada properly and calmly why she doesn't want her to (since, like I said, Yamada doesn't really know stuff like that) although, I mean imagine if your girlfriend asked if she could go to a place that is meant for getting to know other people (in a romantic way) I bet she was confused and worried (since Yamada is innocent and socially awkward and shy, she would have a hard time voicing her opinion and would surely feel overwhelmed with so many unknown people who want to talk to her) so I understand both sides. However, one thing that really bugs me is the lack of communication between the two of them, and it's probably also the biggest obstacle in their relationship. Kase-san didn't tell her that she'd be away for a week, told her that so casually (like, she said she forgot but that must've hurt Yamada to know she's going away so suddenly and also she never really tells her stuff like that until the last minute) additionally, there's the roommate that she has doubts about. Yamada always concludes things in her head, overthinks and then worries. (Just like when she thought Inoue-senpai was Kase-san's ex, which was not the case.) So I'd definitely say it was also an impulse decision that she said she'd go, I bet if they talked it out in a way mature way, there'd be more understanding and preventing of such situations. That being said, there's a lot to work on in their relationship and i hope the author doesn't just brush it off, but like always make them explain themselves and deal with the issue. ANYWAY, THE LAST PICTURE THOUGH I'M BEYOND EXCITED KASE-SAN LOOKED SO AWFULLY HANDSOME SHE'S SUCH A SEME YES DADDY SLAP US IN THE FACE WITH YOUR RADIATING BEAUTY ALSO I'M A TRASH BAG SO PLEASE TAKE ME OUT.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

ANYWAY, THE LAST PICTURE THOUGH I'M BEYOND EXCITED KASE-SAN LOOKED SO AWFULLY HANDSOME SHE'S SUCH A SEME YES DADDY SLAP US IN THE FACE WITH YOUR RADIATING BEAUTY ALSO I'M A TRASH BAG SO PLEASE TAKE ME OUT.

And you were doing so well with the “rational interpretation” part there, too. Lol

That’s how this one rolls—it’s smart enough and well-crafted enough to be worth thinking about in some detail, and then you hit a certain scene or a single panel and it all dissolves into, OMG—THE FEELS! SOOOOOO CUUUUTE!

Excuse me, I have an appointment with the “exchanging candy by mouth on the airplane” scene, and the rooftop “It’s always been you, Yamada” scene, and then there’s the strawberry shortcake scene, and . . .

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The English trans of Volume 5 showed up at the door a few minutes ago, and I just skimmed through it. The “Sunflowers” and “Powdery Snow” chapters from this one are in it, and I guess everybody already knows the big news:

The Scene (you know, THE SCENE!) is considerably longer and more, shall we say, fleshed out, with some world-class vintage Yamada fluster (they knock into a table, for instance), and the bra coming off is a major production and it’s all as sweet and excellent as we would expect it to be.

The first name/honorific conundrum seems to have found a reasonable solution: Kase calls Yamada “Yui” when they’re actually doing it.

last edited at Feb 12, 2019 8:14PM

joined Feb 15, 2019

https://m.facebook.com/245467499533535/posts/415399835873633/

I found a link with the raws for the new chapter of Yamada to Kase-san!!!
Ginger ale and Kase-san!

It looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait for a translated version to come out!

joined Feb 15, 2019

ANYWAY, THE LAST PICTURE THOUGH I'M BEYOND EXCITED KASE-SAN LOOKED SO AWFULLY HANDSOME SHE'S SUCH A SEME YES DADDY SLAP US IN THE FACE WITH YOUR RADIATING BEAUTY ALSO I'M A TRASH BAG SO PLEASE TAKE ME OUT.

And you were doing so well with the “rational interpretation” part there, too. Lol

That’s how this one rolls—it’s smart enough and well-crafted enough to be worth thinking about in some detail, and then you hit a certain scene or a single panel and it all dissolves into, OMG—THE FEELS! SOOOOOO CUUUUTE!

Excuse me, I have an appointment with the “exchanging candy by mouth on the airplane” scene, and the rooftop “It’s always been you, Yamada” scene, and then there’s the strawberry shortcake scene, and . . .

Yes! All of those scenes are amazing! My other favorite scene is from Sunset and Kase-san, the other rooftop scene where Kase-san starts crying and Yamada holds her. Then Kase takes her shirt off to kiss Yamada. fans self

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Ginger ale and Kase-san!

It looks absolutely amazing and I can't wait for a translated version to come out!

Got my hopes up that I could actually finish the translation, but alas, these are in Chinese.
Still nice to see how the chapter ends at least so I thank you for that.

last edited at Feb 18, 2019 9:30AM

joined Feb 15, 2019

Ginger ale and Kase-san!

Got my hopes up that I could actually finish the translation, but alas, these are in Chinese.
Still nice to see how the chapter ends at least so I thank you for that.

Sorry, I didnt realize. So far it's the only link with the entire
chapter raws I've been able to find online. Considering how cute and adorable this series is, it's surprising to me that no one has posted the raws anywhere for translation yet.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Considering how cute and adorable this series is, it's surprising to me that no one has posted the raws anywhere for translation yet.

Problem is there's not much else that people read Wings for, so there's a reluctancy for anons on /u/ to drop the money for a Kindle version to scanlate from. If anyone round here is generous enough to do so, feel free to drop on by.

joined Feb 15, 2019

Considering how cute and adorable this series is, it's surprising to me that no one has posted the raws anywhere for translation yet.

Problem is there's not much else that people read Wings for, so there's a reluctancy for anons on /u/ to drop the money for a Kindle version to scanlate from. If anyone round here is generous enough to do so, feel free to drop on by.

If you could tell me how or where I would totally just buy a copy of it for someone to translate.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

If you could tell me how or where I would totally just buy a copy of it for someone to translate.

You can get it off Amazon Japan, though I believe there's a few hoops you gotta go through to get Japanese content.
There's a guide here: http://pastebin.com/j5n5zSuN

joined Feb 15, 2019

You can get it off Amazon Japan, though I believe there's a few hoops you gotta go through to get Japanese content.
There's a guide here: http://pastebin.com/j5n5zSuN

Oh jeeze... I only understood about half of the jargon on that website. Not very tech savvy here other than basic operation of a computer/smart phone.

To reply you must either login or sign up.