Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

2) Geez, ppl. Kase's possessive and Yamada dependent. They are both clingy in their own right, and just starting to figure out how to relationship. Bottom line: they love each other, madly. So far neither's attitude has hurt the other and, actually, so far their attitudes are complementing the other's flaws.
- Kase watches over socially inapt Yamada as she learns to become more outgoing.
- Yamada and her insecurities keep aloof and fickle Kase attentive and grounded.

This, very much. I may also add that Yamada is currently in the country-mouse-in-a-big-city position, and that is not what I would call an ideal context to learn social behaviors from scratch (given how she never got around to that in school). In fact, if this manga weren't set in a magic universe where plant people date track runners and nothing bad ever sticks, she would probably have long been taken advantage of and/or hurt by now.

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 4:08PM

joined Jan 5, 2018

This is Great I love how they keep there own personally that works well with each other if they where both the same then this would just be so boring best Yuri Manga out there

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

^
Like I said, moral judgments are a dime a dozen--you see mistreatment, I see a rescue. Kase knew Yamada probably didn't know what she was getting into, and she was right.

Kase was pretty transparent about her motivation being jealousy rather than fear for Yamada's safety. Like her actions, demeanor, and words all make it clear that she was there to jealously guard her girlfriend from rival suitors not to protect her from predators.

As if those things are mutually exclusive rather than two sides of the same coin.

It is in fact possible to accompany your girlfriend to a social gathering as support without being a big sulky, jealous baby who pitches a fit the moment a guy talks to her. Like, there's a version of this scenario where Kase isn't being super uncool and disrespectful of Yamada's autonomy but this is not it.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I get that she doesn't trust men around Yamada but it just seemed really off. She should have a little more faith in Yamada after all this time.

Question: Why?
There has so far been no instance in which Yamada handled any encounter with men well. Everytime the men saw her as a cute toy/kitten to fool around with. If I get the timeline correct, it's only been a few months since some guys cornered Yamada and took pantyshots of her (until Kase showed up and had every single one deleted).
Yamada's even insecure with her few friends. She still can't say no to Mikawacchi (who almost to the end of their school-arc kept putting the fake ex-gf story into Yamada's head) - her closest and longest friend. Yamada had admitted, she didn't want to go out into an unfamiliar situation but felt like she had to, because Hana simply asked her to come.

Since you (and others) are so avid in calling Kase's worrying possessiveness and toxic, I'd really like to know where you get the notion from that Yamada was fully aware of what she was getting herself into and would not have been overwhelmed as in any other previous instance.
Or paint me an in-character picture, of how freaked out Yamada from the ending of the previous chapter was to suddenly overcome her inadequateness and come out of that evening without having been harrassed, talked into drinking alcohol / getting drunk or handing out her contact information to total strangers. Not even Hana's early exit may have saved her much, because that girl was in such a hurry to get dinner, she may have left Yamada at the table with guys asking her to stay - and once again, Yamada is very very bad at saying 'no'.

Kase is not stopping Yamada from learning and evolving - but she'd rather Yamada take the baby-steps she needs instead of... well, this. Kase does have faith in Yamada, BUT she's also very much aware of where Yamada's shortcomings lie and what's simply too much for her to handle.

Or let ME draw you a picture:
Kase trusts in Yamada to not drown, but dog paddle to stay afloat while occassionally managing a stroke that takes her forward, while Kase effortlessly dives around. But when the tides roll in, Kase plucks Yamada out of the water and carries her to the beach (bridal-style :P ). Because, for now, Yamada just can't swim that well.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

I uphold the notion that Kase-san has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well regarding the fact that Kase should trust Yamada more... We have to consider that Yamada's friend would most likely get her out of that situation even if Kaze didn't show up... So yeah she was gonna be okay with the friend she trusted to hang around with.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Because all those instances you mentioned it always paints Yamada out to be naive and the one that doesn't know any better. So how is Kase-san's behavior any different from a boyfriend that's like, you don't know any better or I told you so? It's controlling possessive behavior. Maybe Yamada is over her head but she needs to learn to be a bit more independent and stop relying on her prince to save her. Sometimes you got to make the mistakes yourself in order to learn from them because that's real life. She's in college now and doesn't need to be babied anymore, Kase-san is not taking her seriously at all. I hope Yamada has learned to not put herself in bad situations just to not come off as rude but Kase-san can reflect on her own behavior too. If she was seriously concerned about Yamada's safety then there are proper ways of showing it instead of acting all jealous and overbearing. She really had no right to treat Yamada like that.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Not even Hana's early exit may have saved her much, because that girl was in such a hurry to get dinner, she may have left Yamada at the table with guys asking her to stay - and once again, Yamada is very very bad at saying 'no'.

and

Well regarding the fact that Kase should trust Yamada more... We have to consider that Yamada's friend would most likely get her out of that situation even if Kaze didn't show up... So yeah she was gonna be okay with the friend she trusted to hang around with.

Didn't Hana instantly abandon Yamada to her devices after discovering that some "guy" locked Yamada up with him in a bathroom stall?

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 4:42PM

Img_4897
joined Oct 27, 2017

What? You think Yamada had the slightest clue about what that place and the people in it would be like? She wanted to do something with Hana, her new (but unknown to Yamada) equally clueless friend.

She may not have known what kind of party it was, but she knew that Kase didn’t approve. When Kase says “I don’t want you to go” and Yamada says “too bad I’m going” and hangs up on her, I get the feeling that it isn’t about Hana anymore. Wether the party was dangerous or not, all Yamada knew was that Kase didn’t approve, and wanted to prove her wrong.

Again, forgetting that she is awful in social situations.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I was under the impression that Hana was a million times more clueless than Yamada was (I mean Yamada even wondered if she was going to be alright that's not a good sign) plus they were in the process of being separated.

Also Yamada said she was going because she was jealous of Kase San and the roommate and the fact there were things about Kase that she didn't know about.

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 4:52PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I was under the impression that Hana was a million times more clueless than Yamada was

I don’t think the clueless scale goes down that far.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Not even Hana's early exit may have saved her much, because that girl was in such a hurry to get dinner, she may have left Yamada at the table with guys asking her to stay - and once again, Yamada is very very bad at saying 'no'.

and

Didn't Hana instantly abandon Yamada to her devices after discovering that some "guy" locked Yamada up with him in a bathroom stall?

Did Yamada seemed forced in that situation or Scared? Like how she was back in the table alone? Hana probably thought "oh... Well looks like you'll be fine"

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Because all those instances you mentioned it always paints Yamada out to be naive and the one that doesn't know any better. So how is Kase-san's behavior any different from a boyfriend that's like, you don't know any better or I told you so? It's controlling possessive behavior. Maybe Yamada is over her head but she needs to learn to be a bit more independent and stop relying on her prince to save her. Sometimes you got to make the mistakes yourself in order to learn from them because that's real life. She's in college now and doesn't need to be babied anymore, Kase-san is not taking her seriously at all. I hope Yamada has learned to not put herself in bad situations just to not come off as rude but Kase-san can reflect on her own behavior too. If she was seriously concerned about Yamada's safety then there are proper ways of showing it instead of acting all jealous and overbearing. She really had no right to treat Yamada like that.

This is a parental lecture at an imaginary person, not a reading of what’s actually in the story.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

I uphold the notion that Kase-san has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film.

There is definitely a bit too much reading into things going on here. I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yamada in a nutshell:

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 5:12PM

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

Death of the author, and all that. What it's supposed to be and how it comes across are two different things.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Regardless of who was more right or wrong or whatever, I do hope that the manga can start moving past the "Yamada is naive, Kase rescues her" scenario.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

I'm going to continue along the path of believing that Kase-san and Yamada very much love each other and are generally kind, good-hearted people who mean well but who occasionally either (A) can't articulate that very well (because they're adorable dorks, because of writing choices by Takashima-sensei, because of translation choices by /u/, etc); or (B) behave poorly because they're human and thus fallible and we all make mistakes.

I will continue along this path until given a clear and very unambiguous reason to do otherwise.

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 5:24PM

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

@kickap00: ...did you read the rest that I wrote? Or are you the kind that pushes unprepared non-swimmers into the ocean, because "at some point they have to learn on their own"?
Again, I'd argue that Kase does trust Yamada and would encourage Yamada to grow and learn, but also knows Yamada's (in the story well-established) limits.

I'm having quite the fun reading this whole manga from Kase's perspective and here's my take on the lastest chapter:
1) Kase was in a sullen mood, because her last interaction with Yamada had her worried, they were breaking up (which, since the manga is narrated from Yamada's POV gets depicted as her being unreasonably grumpy / pissed). ...Not being able to get Yamada to call her by her first name may or may not add to Kase's frustration (..and it was such a good opportunity!)
2) She ran to the event because - based on their aforementioned phonecall - she knew that Yamada was in over her head.
3) Kase tried to keep the pretent up to not be affilliated with Yamada; possibly to see how the scene would play out / if her worries were justified. She keeps going to insert herself into the situation the way she's used to (e.g. being outwardly friendly, overall social and casual)
4) One of the first questions the guys asked was checking that Yamada attended an all-girls uni. And Kase may have picked up on the implication the guys were picking up on her uni's name because they considered it great hunting grounds and Yamada their way in - cue Kase calling first strike.
5) When Yamada mistakes Ginger ale for an alcoholic beverage, the guys laugh at and make fun of her (incidentally someone finds Yamada's ignorance charming enough to ask for her contact) - cue Kase calling second strike.
6) Kase still tries to play nice, extending her order to include the guys. Who immediately out themselves to not play by the rules (and laws!) but rather play into Kase's preconceptions, by prefering beer and even calling Kase out for her 'outrageous' offer - Three strikes, and out!
7) Kase can't help herself any longer and drags Yamada away, intent on taking her home (despite worrying their relationship may be over), but falters when Yamada calls her "Tomoka-chan". ...<3
8) In the stall, Kase's back to quiet, but now tries to understand Yamada and her thoughts, and still a bit rattled herself, brings them into context with her own worries. The events from a few minutes ago had confirmed what she had tried to warn Yamada about, who she's still not sure either didn't listen or put herself into this despite knowing, for the sake of some stranger-friend.
9) Yamada doesn't respond, eventually Kase gives in to her thir-- longing and pulls Yamada into a hug.
10) FINALLY Yamada explains why she hung up. Kase flushes, because while she never thought or will think of her roomie like that, Yamada's jealousy is a confession of sorts (and is a sign of passion). The relief, that all her last week's worries were due to something this 'silly', eventually wins, though.
11) Happy (and potentially turned on) Kase wants to kiss Yamada, confesses her love to her sweet 'Yui' aaaaand - knock knock.
12) Kase's a bit miffed, Hana-chan mistook her for a guy ... or that Hana's not in the least concerned/interested in the fact that Yamada supposedly just exited a bathroom stall(!) with 'a guy she just met'. But Hana being upset about the guys' underage drinking has her on her good side.
[cutscene, Kase gets out of these uncomfy heels]
13) Kase is honestly perplexed when Yamada calls her strong. Because she's insecure, hopelessly devoted and totally clueless to how to react when it comes to Yamada. Yamada makes her her weakest, most vulnerable self... Yamada may think she caught the grand prize that's supposedly out of her league, but for Kase Yamada is just as precious and mysterious, and feels / worries of being inadequate / insufficient / unsatisfactory.
14) Kase even puts the lipstick on, despite being a tomboy and this not being quite her style (the suit having been sort of a stretch for her already?), because Yamada insists and gets excited and Kase just wants her beloved plant to be happy (with her).

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Did Yamada seemed forced in that situation or Scared? Like how she was back in the table alone? Hana probably thought "oh... Well looks like you'll be fine"

To me, Yamada seemed neither forced, nor scared. But then again, to me, it looked like Kase had breasts and wore heels and a skirt. :-) My point is that Hana is so bad at picking up on social cues and Yamada is so bad at sending them, the former wouldn't be able to recognize the latter's distress even if something bad did happen.

There is definitely a bit too much reading into things going on here. I highly doubt Kase-sans behavior is supposed to be "possessive".

I think a major part in this is that we get a new chapter every couple of months, giving us way too much time to speculate.

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 5:41PM

Glass%20drum
joined Jan 3, 2019

Kase looking all irritated is my new fetish.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Anyone who REALLY thinks Yamada was in control in this situation and that Kase came in and ruined her night for her, I have to ask what series you've been reading. Yes, Yamada's been working to improve herself, but it's plain that neither she nor her friend were prepared for being at this event with a bunch of pushy guys, who would only get more so as they got drunk. You can argue all you want about how Kase should have trusted Yamada to handle herself, but as far as I'm concerned, leaving someone you care about (whether friend or girlfriend or whatever else) in a situation that you KNOW they can't handle, and which could easily turn genuinely dangerous, is frankly criminal.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

7) Kase can't help herself any longer and drags Yamada away, intent on taking her home (despite worrying their relationship may be over), but falters when Yamada calls her "Tomoka-chan". ...<3

I agree with every word of this excellent reading except this part.

I don’t think the word “falters” quite covers what happens to Kase when Yamada calls her “Tomoka-chan.” I’d substitute,

“every previous thought leaves Kase’s head and she is transported to a new and unfamiliar dimension, one she has long dreamed of but which now seems as strange and as filled with endless possibilities as a previously unexplored galaxy made up of millions and millions of beautiful stars,”

and then pick up you again after that.

But well done.:)

joined Oct 27, 2018

^
Like I said, moral judgments are a dime a dozen--you see mistreatment, I see a rescue. Kase knew Yamada probably didn't know what she was getting into, and she was right.

Kase was pretty transparent about her motivation being jealousy rather than fear for Yamada's safety. Like her actions, demeanor, and words all make it clear that she was there to jealously guard her girlfriend from rival suitors not to protect her from predators.

As if those things are mutually exclusive rather than two sides of the same coin.

It is in fact possible to accompany your girlfriend to a social gathering as support without being a big sulky, jealous baby who pitches a fit the moment a guy talks to her. Like, there's a version of this scenario where Kase isn't being super uncool and disrespectful of Yamada's autonomy but this is not it.

Agreed, and what really gets me, is that this isnt new behavior on the part of Kase-san, she has acted this way since they got together, and its often brushed off as her just being protective. Unfortunately there is a pretty thin line between protective and controlling, and after this chapter it seems clear to me which side she falls on.

joined Oct 27, 2018

death of the author

To reply you must either login or sign up.