Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

@BugDevil While I agree that the people who care enough will probably read the manga anyway, it's still frustrating that more and more anime are doomed to cover only a fraction of the original story… Anime and manga are different formats that offer different experiences, so people who enjoy anime more get the short end of the stick in those cases… Of course that's kind of inevitable when the original story is so long that you'd need 10 seasons of anime to adapt it fully, but in the case of YagaKimi where two seasons would probably suffice (after the manga is over, obviously), that would be a shame. Hopefully it has enough success for that.

But as you said, altering the story to have a conclusion rarely leads to good results, so it's a tough dilemma…

You are right of course. It's not like I want it to end prematurely. This conversation is entirely based on the idea that there won't be a season 2. If there is, no problems would exist. So I really hope for that too!

I'm setting aside the rest of this because what changes should or shouldn't be made and why is just a matter of preference and opinion and I can agree to disagree on all of that.

Oh how gracious of you.

You're either gonna have to cite sources on that 7/10 thing or admit you just pulled it straight out of your ass.

A typical 13 episode anime series costs from 1 to 4 million dollars. I base this on numerous comments I've seen from several creators, but here's a specific link to a specific quote saying 2 million is typical. Longer seasons are more expensive, i picked the 1-4 range because that's what Yagakimi almost certainly cost.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-08-13/anime-insiders-share-how-much-producing-a-season-costs/.91536

Hell, just pay attention to the freaking credits of any anime series! You'll have dozens if not hundreds of people credited with the production, from animators and editors to composers and voice actors. These people work for salary or on contract, depending on the job, and an anime studio like Troyca produces at max of two series a year, meaning at least half their salary comes from a single series. Do the math. They'll cut corners where they can, but anime is still a large cooperative venture involving many employees. The amount of labor involved in producing even a low budget anime is nuts.

The 13 episode format has been standard in anime for years, and has often been used even in circumstances when there /was no manga/. It has nothing to do with "advertising the manga and gaining a larger audience for it", it's about limiting the exposure and expense and reducing the risk on titles that might not find a solid audience. 13 episodes is a smaller commitment than 26+, and is one of the options pursued by companies when they want to see if a product can fly. Smaller commitment means less expense which means less risk.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-09-26/.106891

Here's a pretty decent summary of how it came about, also discussing the process.

Manga publishers do not -hire- anime studios to produce anime as commercials. That is -laughable-. Anime studios approach manga publishers about properties they think would fill a niche in their programming. What's more, the studio fronts all the money of production and -pays- the manga company for the licensing rights. Every time. I challenge you to find one instance of an anime that was commissioned by the manga publisher. Find me one source. I'll wait.

It was just a rough estimate based on how many properties are advertisement, mostly for game, Light Novel and manga based anime. There are obviously cases of the studio approaching the publisher or original anime being made or some director who wants to revive an old franchise (Thank you David Pro for doing Jojo justice!). I wasn't actually basing it on any real numbers.

"Typical" is a pretty loose term, you know? Most anime productions are as cheap as possible. If you throw in all the high quality properties, no wonder you will end up at that 4 million average. We aren't talking about Attack on Titan levels of porudction value here (because the budget for those episodes makes my legs go weak).
I haven't even implied once that YagaKimi was cheaply made though. So don't put words into my mouth please.

No shit the 12-13 episode method is there to cut costs and play it safe. I didn't mean it was invented for advertising purposes, I meant that it's used for that a lot. Making one short season of a popular property to see if it's profitable is standard practice. The initiators are often not the studios though. I think we are fundamentally thinking of different things when using the word "hire". I didn't mean the publisher pays for the entire endeavor or something, I meant the publisher chooses the studio and makes the offer. Scouts work in both directions.

It's so common for publishers of games, LNs and manga to approach studios as its beneficial for both sides, but I am not even gonna bother. The anime works as an advertisment for the manga (whether that is the only reason or not to you) and that's pretty much a fact. This is way too much work for such a trite point. You already ignored almost everything I said, so my motivation is on the down low to actually work myself through all the production history research.

" They exist as promotion for the manga, nothing else." That's your words, exactly. If they want to profit on their own, then they aren't just promotion for the manga.

Producers choose manga or light novels based on their popularity because a popular series brings with it an automatic audience. Publishers do not choose anime producers, it's literally the other way around. When you said that remarkable 7/10 line earlier, it actually made me question my understanding, so I looked around, and just no. Every source I found confirms this is how it works. The production company decides what they want to make, then goes about trying to convince the manga publisher and the author to sign on and license the rights to them.

That depends on the author and the publisher. The more established a person's name, the more pull they have because the producers know that the author has clout with the fans. Also authors are more likely to retain the copyright on their work and characters compared to western comics. Authors usually agree every time because being chosen to have an anime made of your series is a huge honor and a big financial opportunity. They absolutely have a say, however, if they piss off their publisher, they could find themselves without one. But that isn't the point.

The point is the producers pick the series they want to adapt (or the original pitches they want to produce) and they approach the author through the publisher. In a lot of cases, these companies have existing relationships, either through past business dealings or through corperate connections. The details get complicated and case-by case, but in any event, the producers always intend to make their money back on the anime. The sales boost to the manga is a benefit to the manga publisher and the author, but isn't generally the concern of the anime producers (except in that it motivates them to agree to the deal)

Welp, I guess you missed the part where I said for the manga... as in the manga publisher uses it as an advertisment and nothing else. That the studio who makes it isn't doing it out of the goodness of their heart, but to make profit is plainly obvious...

Mangaka have very little influence on what's done with their work, don't kid yourself. The only ones who could have that kind of sway are titans like Eiichiro Oda or Masashi Kishimoto (or self-published people like Araki). Heck, Tite Kubo who was for a time one of the Big 3 Mangaka was completely screwed over and kicked down by his publisher and everyone involved. I wonder where he had any say in anything there?
Having an anime of your series done badly is not much of an honor and equals throwing away your integrity for money. And mangaka have to do that, because they don't earn much in the first place. This honor stuff annoys me, considering the conditions they are living in... they realistically just don't have the option to refuse.

PS: We are really far away from the actual topic now and the mods are gonna jump on us soon, so let's try to focus on YagaKimi here, shall we?

joined May 7, 2017

I watched the dub and it felt so weird. I’m not sure why, but it seems like a fandub (even though it’s not). All the VAs are great, but to me, Yuu and Touko’s voices didn’t really fit them. I always imagined Yuu with Mikoto Misaka’s voice, which is funny since that’s the VA of her black haired friend. And Zero Two’s voice (Yuu’s VA) would suit Touko better imo

You just said it, they're great voice actresses, but none fit their characters, here's my personal choices:

Touko: Cristina Vee
Yuu: Emily Bauer
Sayaka: Erica Mendez

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

You just said it, they're great voice actresses, but none fit their characters, here's my personal choices:

Touko: Cristina Vee

I love Chris Vee, but really? Her voice is either cute or deep. Neither quite fits Touko imo.

Hey folks, some of the illustratotion of the light novel has been update.
Sayaka you poor child, she just can't take a break
https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4304585793817296

Oh boy. Looks like the first volume's more about the past. Looks painful.

last edited at Nov 19, 2018 12:36PM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

There's just one problem: my lack of ability to read Japanese (unless it's in romaji).

joined Oct 22, 2018

giggles quietly in the distance

?
Edit:
Nevermind it's BV

That was my comment on the part of the convo between the BugDevil and Heavensrun above that comment of mine.
EDIT:
Lol, people got so used to my posts being either vaguely related, barely related or unrelated to the topic that they can just shrug it off as me being me. I feel like I should get offended, but I'm actually having an ever so slight urge to laugh.

last edited at Nov 19, 2018 4:57PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Interesting. Looks like there was a childhood friend crush back before she fell for sempai. How much you wanna bet this is the main love interest for the novels?

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

…Wait, that childhood friend, is that

Well I hope that this childhood friend of Sayaka shows up in the main series.
I know that Nakatani Noi already has plan to have Yuu & Touko end up together, once they solve the problems with themselves (Yuu thinking like a romance novel & Touko insecurities)
I would like to see Sayaka having being in her own relationship with a girl (just not with Touko) I mean she deserve to have her own happiness.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I just wonder what the purpose of that Sayaka prequel is? With it, she becomes way better fleshed out than Touko and Yuu are.

Even if they are "cashing on" YagaKimi name, a story where the main girl falls in love twice(?) and has to give up on that love twice(?)... What is it going for? Is there going to be a Sayaka sequel manga coming at some point? It will also highlight Sayaka's interest in Touko yet again and make it even more prominent than it already is.

last edited at Nov 21, 2018 9:57AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

I just wonder what the purpose of that Sayaka prequel is? With it, she becomes way better fleshed out than Touko and Yuu are.

Even if they are "cashing on" YagaKimi name, a story where the main girl falls in love twice(?) and has to give up on that love twice(?)... What is it going for? Is there going to be a Sayaka sequel manga coming at some point? It will also highlight Sayaka's interest in Touko yet again and make it even more prominent than it already is.

I just realized how good of an argument you made, and, to be completely honest, I actually feel kinda dumb/stupid for not coming up with that myself...

joined Jun 12, 2015

I just wonder what the purpose of that Sayaka prequel is?

Because editor of YagaKimi is a mega fan of Sayaka. Behold the power of the manga editor!

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I just realized how good of an argument you made, and, to be completely honest, I actually feel kinda dumb/stupid for not coming up with that myself...

Well...

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well...

2 questions, 1 for you, and 1 to nobody in particular.
For you: "Well..." what?
For nobody in particular: Why did his or hers "Well..." make me laugh a tiny bit?

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

why... why the triangle REEEEEEEE

joined May 7, 2017

I just wonder what the purpose of that Sayaka prequel is?

Because editor of YagaKimi is a mega fan of Sayaka. Behold the power of the manga editor!

Fan request perhaps? Most likely though...

Sasasasasas
joined Dec 25, 2013

Part of the reason I've come to love these type of slow paced stories, is that now we're in a place where we could see a bunch of interesting character interactions before we get to the sweet catharsis of our main characters figuring out feelings are dumb and they do love each other romantically (and in other ways). I for one would love to see what Rei, Miki, Koyomi and Natsuki have to do and say about Yuu's current heartbroken state, and specially, what Sayaka has to say once she finds out about Touko and Yuu's bizarre arrangement.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

For nobody in particular: Why did his or hers "Well..." make me laugh a tiny bit?

1. That was a vague allusion to you being stupid.
2. That was a joke.
3. I am a guy
4. I suppose we're so used to assuming Nakatani knows what she's doing (I know it's a different author) that we didn't think about why Sayaka got a side story. Not to mention the excitement for reading more about her character.

last edited at Nov 22, 2018 4:00AM

joined Oct 22, 2018

1. That was a vague allusion to you being stupid.
2. That was a joke.
3. I am a guy
4. I suppose we're so used to assuming Nakatani knows what she's doing (I know it's a different author) that we didn't think about why Sayaka got a side story. Not to mention the excitement for reading more about her character.

OK. I'm off to watch Famana before school starts. I'll see y'all after tomorrow's episode.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I found spoilers for the Saeki novel if anyone's interested https://greatpassage.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/yagate-kimi-ni-naru-saeki-sayaka-ni-tsuite/
Less of a spoiler but... Sayaka does have a chance to end up with someone else! It's canonical and everything!

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

I found spoilers for the Saeki novel if anyone's interested

Thanks for the link, been hoping someone would give a summory of what happened. I wonder if any of the publishers would do a translation of the book for the English speaking market.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

I found spoilers for the Saeki novel if anyone's interested

Thanks for the link, been hoping someone would give a summory of what happened. I wonder if any of the publishers would do a translation of the book for the English speaking market.

You're welcome.

Seven Seas already publish the manga so, it would make sense if they did the novel.

joined Jun 9, 2018

I found spoilers for the Saeki novel if anyone's interested https://greatpassage.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/yagate-kimi-ni-naru-saeki-sayaka-ni-tsuite/
Less of a spoiler but... Sayaka does have a chance to end up with someone else! It's canonical and everything!

I really hope she ends up with someone who loves her so much back.

last edited at Nov 23, 2018 3:24AM

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Amen..

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

What would even be the point for the side story if not for Sayaka to get a proper relationship? Of course she'll find someone who loves her back properly.

Untitled-1
joined Oct 28, 2018

What would even be the point for the side story if not for Sayaka to get a proper relationship? Of course, she'll find someone who loves her back properly.

From what I've read, it's likely that Sayaka won't get a happy ending in the main story. Though there might be a side chapter after Volume 8? (My guess as to how long the story to last). It would be awkward for Nakatani to put an extra relationship in without distracting from the main story.

The writer for the novel says he wants to do more though, so maybe we'll get her happy ending there.

To reply you must either login or sign up.