Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Honestly, I get the reasoning behind the accent, but I think maybe part of what makes it so distracting (at least for me) is that accents in text just don't work to begin with. I think it's a pretty natural thing when you're reading to just read in your own natural way of speaking. Except in cases where I'm reading something for which I've seen an audio/visual adaptation or tie in (and therefore have a feel for the character's voice and accent) When I read, in my head, everybody just has a neutral american accent. And as soon as I hit a "ye" or an "aboot", all of a sudden it's a neutral american accent that is forcing in random words from a scots accent.

That doesn't read as an accent, that reads as a bad impersonation of an accent, and that's what makes it hard to swallow. It's like somehow the experience of a bad dub has been translated into text form.

I do think the page at the front of this update was worth including, though. It was less distracting having a more thorough explanation of the reasoning at the beginning.

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

@Morgan
I did two chapters in like two weeks, lmao. Cut me some slack. :p

Ah, I‘m sry. I was stil asking about Flying Witch, which doesn‘t seem to get updated on here anymore. :/

56239_1311160211088_full
joined Oct 30, 2015

This is one of the best... Though the Yuri thing development is slow...

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Feels like Kae-chan is developing husband qualities...Or maybe that's just my headcanon.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

@Nya-chan
I mean, it's 7 volumes and still ongoing... :p

Has anything substantial happened?? When can I take the goggles off?

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@onyxpanda
A direct answer would be a spoiler, so I'll just say that this series is tagged Yuri because it's one of the central themes. x)

last edited at Jul 6, 2018 2:16PM

joined Jun 12, 2012

I definitely side with DYWYPI on this one - trying to shoehorn in English accents in place of Japanese dialects has always been a distractingly bad thing to me. As s/he rightly points out, an accent brings with it a lot more implications than just "different way of speaking than standard." It conjures a whole host of cultural connotations and prejudices (in the neutral dictionary sense of that word). There is never a direct analogue between what a particular speech affectation in Japanese connotes and any English accent. I definitely think it does more harm than good to a character no matter how integral it is to the characterization.

In this particular case I would much rather see her just speak notably more casually/coarsely in standard English during her "dialect times." That alone is enough to communicate effectively enough the dichotomy between her "put-together, type-A overachiever" work personality and her incongruously rough "real" (for lack of a better word) self.

FWIW I won't be reading this translation for the above reasons, but props at least to the translator for giving it this much thought. I just really disagree with the result.

Well said.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

lol I love how the bugs are mosaic'd out. I can only assume it's because the bugs are nude.

It's a typical Japanese thing, as cockroaches seem to viewed as the most unclean thing ever. I think the only cockroach manga/anime I can think of where they're uncensored is Gokicha (moe cockroach) and Terraformers (gachi cockroach).

Now I'm just kinda imagining how censored the first Men in Black movie would be over there.

I think they didn't censored it in Arachnid either.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Wow, now I can't stop reading this with Merida's voice xDDDDD I had never listening scotish accent before, but omg xDDDDDD https://twitter.com/LizzRobinett/status/1028158936094896129
Update with a new link https://twitter.com/sweetpoffin/status/1029385842840793088

last edited at Aug 14, 2018 6:55PM

Cat
joined Jul 27, 2015

it is somewhat hard to read for ppl whose first language is not English... And I thought I'm somewhat used to broken English in general.
Still this is too funny. I can imagine if I got the chance to do what I want in the past, then get a job and a roomate it would probably turn out to be somewhat like this xD

last edited at Aug 20, 2018 10:09AM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/2dk_g_pen_alarm_clock_ch03#32
Kae-chan's face looks so familiar in the middle left panel!! What is it from????

Rsz_tumblr_n3y1mps9e11tr1hgao1_1280
joined Mar 16, 2017

it is somewhat hard to read for ppl whose first language is not English... And I thought I'm somewhat used to broken English in general.
Still this is too funny. I can imagine if I got the chance to do what I want in the past, then get a job and a roomate it would probably turn out to be somewhat like this xD

Even with it as my first language I'm having a hard time reading some of this and I'm having to just guess at some of the words as I read this, makes it a tad hard to read overall. xD

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

Cool a new chapter, I liked what I read last time I think. Oh wait it's the weird accent translation one.

Ooh it looks like the translator finally decided to drop the stereotypical Irish accent. Good call, good call

"Me blood's boiling"

I really can't. Everytime I see a dinnae I just fall out of the manga's immersion and start reading that girl's voice as a stereotypical Irish man.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

Come on, I was against those accents like 2 years ago, but when I got better at english I even started to like them. We can't have 12 pages of comments and 10 of them are complainings about the accent when that was already explained. Whitout a hard accent her personality will be missing.

Actually talking about this last chapter, I founded today that Momono Moto is from Kyuushu too, so now I can't stop imagine her with that accent xDDDDD

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Cool a new chapter, I liked what I read last time I think. Oh wait it's the weird accent translation one.

Ooh it looks like the translator finally decided to drop the stereotypical Irish accent. Good call, good call

"Me blood's boiling"

I really can't. Everytime I see a dinnae I just fall out of the manga's immersion and start reading that girl's voice as a stereotypical Irish man.

Wow, I thought I was the only one

17___peppa_renon_chan_by_tsuukiyomi-d8c0h52
joined Jul 17, 2018

Here's hoping they kiss in the next chapter, but that's wishful thinking

sobs

So here's to hoping they kiss by the end of volume one!

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Here's hoping they kiss in the next chapter, but that's wishful thinking

sobs

So here's to hoping they kiss by the end of volume one!

More like Volume 7.

Mistress Trupin
joined Jul 24, 2018

Jar salad... dang, I wanna try that

Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Has Nanami asked Kae-chan whether she's interested in women or not? Figuring that out would greatly simplify and clarify her life.

Profile_picture_by_small_cat_girl-d4ix520
joined Jun 12, 2017

I don't have a problem immersing myself in the story even with the accents. It's like th3 more you read the more fluid it gets hmm like a different language...?

Anyway I'm looking forward to this getting more chapters out~

joined Aug 22, 2016

I’m understanding the story just fine, but the accent makes like a quarter of what she says incoherent.

joined Sep 9, 2016

MEAT

...I love off-the-wall pseudo-onomatopeia for the silliness. The huge font makes it even goofier. Thanks for that!

Now, if only I had the stones to market my ability to speak French, like on that last page... -.-

last edited at Aug 21, 2018 4:28AM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@blargh201
Desperation is a good motivator...

joined Aug 19, 2018

I like this setup very much.
As for the dialect translation is she supposed to be from a rural area of Kansai or something?
I mean I get that they have a strong accent but still I wouldn’t translate a manga like this.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Ishigami posted:

I like this setup very much.
As for the dialect translation is she supposed to be from a rural area of Kansai or something?
I mean I get that they have a strong accent but still I wouldn’t translate a manga like this.

Are you freaking serious...?

Her accent is hard to understand and borderline incomprehensible to Japanese. They say many words totally differently, so unless you knew them beforehand, you can only hope to guess them from context. So pretty much like Scottish accent.

last edited at Aug 21, 2018 6:06AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.