Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

@Heavensrun
Believe me, I've spent a lot of time thinking about what the best course of action would be. After the initial backlash, I was devastated, because I personally felt that I'd given a good and faithful rendition of how Nanami appears in Japanese, to English speakers; she has a very heavy accent that contrasts greatly against the proper and perfect businesswoman image she has. Scots was the obvious and most fitting choice, in my opinion, specifically because it brings with it a similar stereotype, and is hard to understand for many who are unfamiliar with it, just like a Hakata accent, along with being easy to convey in text, unlike most other accents (compare written American vs British English).

The grave miscalculation of mine, however, was that I'd never realised just how much people hate non-American standard English. To me, it seemed natural that if a character has a heavy accent in the original, I'll translate her with a heavy accent as well. I have also seen Scottish used in other translations, even official licensed releases, for example an old favourite of mine, Excel Saga (big surprise, I'm sure), where one character's Okayama accent is rendered as Scottish, and written in an extremely non-standard, mainly phonetic way. This is to say that I knew that this was something even large publishers do in their translations.

As I mentioned — even though I've developed rather thick skin after getting into scanlations — I felt horrible after the initial backlash, and almost completely lost motivation to work on the series, however after hearing voices of support from fellow translators and Japanese readers who can tell just how #thicc Nanami's accent is, it made me feel that I made the right decision after all, as many of them agreed that it would be somewhat of a character assassination to make her speak standard English in the translation.

TL;DR
I've heard the negative opinions, and I understand where you're coming from, but understanding doesn't mean I agree with you. The accent stays, because I feel that it is the best way to translate convey the original content in English. You can either accept it, or move on.

I think that's all absolutely fair. It might've gotten lost in my lengthy posts, but I actually agree with you on virtually everything. Something like Scots is probably the best way to represent a dialect like Hakata, and you definitely shouldn't feel bad or discouraged because some people are jerks about an honest decision you made in good faith.

Also, I am super grateful to have this series being translated, because it is so refreshing to see adults dealing with being gay as adults. So thank you for taking the time to work on this, and you are doing a great job. It was never the intention of my giant walls of text to make you think otherwise. ;p

last edited at Aug 23, 2018 8:16PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Oh the accent just throws me off a bit sometimes, not like it's unbearable, really I just appreciate when people take the time to translate it

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

I just want to say kudos to the translator for the Scottish accent being used for Nanami, I find it super funny and the manga has been amazing so far! Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just want to say kudos to the translator for the Scottish accent being used for Nanami, I find it super funny and the manga has been amazing so far! Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love

And readers gonna read . . .

Villains
joined May 1, 2015

With the release of a new chapter and a return of this series to my immediate notice, I feel obligated to chime in late in this discussion thread with a single contribution to the ongoing dialog.

"Viz did it too!" is not a good argument. Big companies that pay their employees make all sorts of stupid, awful mistakes all the time. The fact that money is being exchanged for labor has zero meaningful correlation to the quality of that labor. For the purposes of this post I have no opinion over whether the accent was the right choice or not. I merely needed to point out that this particular argument is quite terrible, and should not be made by anyone, ever.

Thank you.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Exhausted posted:

The fact that money is being exchanged for labor has zero meaningful correlation to the quality of that labor.

I fully agree being professional doesn't automatically mean it has higher quality.

last edited at Sep 14, 2018 7:17PM

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Exhausted
I assume you didn't read my TL;DR post, and if you did, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Who is Ropponmatsu's avatar? An original work or is that Ropponmatsu herself? Thanks to this manga I'm learning Scottish accent and how to be patient

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/2dk_g_pen_alarm_clock_ch04#12
Okay, I've changed my mind. The Scottish is fucking perfect.

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

personally, im never impressed with "the new girl" (ya know, the one that shows up after the fact to stir up piontless trouble and bratty one sided shinanigans, most anime/manga have em) but i actually like this girl lol, shes kinda cute XD its just wierd bc once "these" characters show up im like "ughghghghg plzz nooo T^T" and mentally roll my eyes. but shes ok i like her

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

At this point I don't even care about the accent anymore, it's distracting, but doesn't hurt my overall enjoyment. I'm more annoyed that 95% of comments here are about the accents and not... The story itself, yes, mine too.

Anyways, as to not be a complete hypocrite, this chapter was pretty funny, I like how the new girl is so weak to manga and it was funny watching her react to Kae, though personally, I'm hoping Kae gets more development later in the story.

Screenshot_2020-06-05%20dorian%20electra%20has%20a%20full%20on%20broment
joined Jun 20, 2017

With the release of a new chapter and a return of this series to my immediate notice, I feel obligated to chime in late in this discussion thread with a single contribution to the ongoing dialog.

"Viz did it too!" is not a good argument. Big companies that pay their employees make all sorts of stupid, awful mistakes all the time. The fact that money is being exchanged for labor has zero meaningful correlation to the quality of that labor. For the purposes of this post I have no opinion over whether the accent was the right choice or not. I merely needed to point out that this particular argument is quite terrible, and should not be made by anyone, ever.

Thank you.

What a silly overstatement. I found interesting to know a published translation already tried scottish as an analogy to an unconventional japanese accent. It might not work as a complete justification by itself, but it isn't devoid of reason either.

last edited at Sep 14, 2018 11:57PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

A rival. xD
And maybe I just got used to it already, but the accent was easier to understand in this chapter than the previous one.

last edited at Sep 15, 2018 12:11AM

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I found interesting to know a published translation already tried scottish as an analogy to an unconventional japanese accent.

I think that's a Newcastle accent, given the "worselves."

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I'm glad the kind folks translating this didn't drop the project after all these ingrates howled, and screeched and foamed at the mouth here in the comments section over the fact that that the translator felt the characters heavy accent was important to preserve in the translation in order to capture the original feel and meaning of the dialog in the manga.

Seriously, you people complaining about this make me sick to my stomach. If you have a problem with the manner in which it was translated then by all means do the work yourself. If somebody bakes you a cake you don't spit in their face and screech, "How dare you make it chocolate when I prefer vanilla!"

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Kinda got used to the Scottish accent now, I think it makes sense as it carries across the message of her having a strong accent, which she does in the original, but that's as much as I'll comment on that as everyone has already shared their own opinions lol.

The comic relief girl looks like she'll both be irritating but also lay down some truths, I did cheer a little when she was like "ah you're a moocher!" As well mangaka is very much a woman-child moocher. But the OL essentially treats her like a child, so meh. Would be nice to see that change, honestly don't like the dynamic between them both atm. Honestly mostly here for the art right now

joined Jun 12, 2015

bisexual everywhere. Please add this tag.

Sayo2
joined Jul 11, 2018

I know it'd be extremely out of character for Kaede, but whenever there's a scene in a yuri manga where some straight girl is trying to accuse one of the protagonists of trying to "steal her man" or whatever, I always fantasize about said protagonist getting frustrated and shouting, "I'm GAY, dammit!"

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Open your heart already. =3=/

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

At this point I ship Hime and Kaede

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This was hilarious.

joined Apr 16, 2018

Still waiting for anything yuri to happen. Really boring to read this when updates are really slow

Skulltroop_far_wht
joined Jun 3, 2018

Just to throw some positivity here instead of all the negativity: I'm liking this. The accent is great. The story has a nice balance of comedy and drama. The characters are entertaining. Good stuff.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I'm really getting into this now. Chapter 4 was hilarious, and has been the best so far. I had mixed feelings on the accent at first, but the more I read the more I've gotten used to it and appreciate it. At this point it feels natural and is easy to read.

Side note: I'm not sure if Ropponmatsu posts/reads posts here but in case they do I thought I'd mention that in the US (and Canada, though I'm not sure about the french parts of Canada) decimals are written with a period instead of a comma, so it might be good to use that for the $ prices for your commissions. There is something to be said for uniformity, though.

I really wish I could help you in a more substantive way but money has been tight for me. I really hope you get a lot of support though, I'm loving your work!

last edited at Sep 16, 2018 12:27AM

joined Nov 7, 2013

im waiting for ch 30

To reply you must either login or sign up.