Forum › There's No Way I Can Have A Lover! *Or Maybe There Is? discussion

joined Jun 9, 2018

ch, 26

Jesus Christ!!! I'm against cheating and ntr but... this manga puts it in such a simple and innocent way that you can decide if you want to keep watching or not. Love it!!! mc crush is fully aware of what is happening but also understands that it is not really the intention of mc cheat on her. I honestly can't see it as cheating. I think this is one way a Yuri harem should develop.

last edited at Mar 5, 2022 8:01AM

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

On the other hand... it deteriorated FAST after the first "match" ends. like the manga later seems like a good way to indicate how... NOT to write certain things.

I think this and if you could see love very quickly deteriorated. Pretty strange how an interesting concept for both manga got ruined and turned into a jumbled mess so quickly. Especially for if you could see love, the whole middle section of helping out couples was unecessary.

And then theres the other story made by the same author.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Randomly caught up with this manga on another reader and well, gotta agree with some of the previous comments here... frankly speaking I wish I had stopped reading around chapter 20 or so. Some of it is due to the translation being spotty at parts but still, what a mess.

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

Looks like this is getting an official English release, in both the light novel and the manga.

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1527024405678895104

Kinda surprising? I didn't think it was THAT popular.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

I really didn't want to go back to this manga having heard about this famous harem that came out of nowhere, but I was still able to catch up from chapter 8 to chapter 22 of the manga, absolutely no courage to continue further for now.

If people who read the LN spend time here, feel free to spoil me on the progress of the LN please.

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Time to play "Is this an uncritical depiction of lovebombing, a critical one, or am I just being grumpy and overthinking what's supposed to be a comedy?"

Ironically, despite the 100 Days manga having a lot more blatantly questionable stuff, I think I like that one a lot better because there is the genuine feeling that both parties are on some level interested in each other, even if one of them is deep in denial due to her internalized stuff. Here, it just feels like Mai's being pushy and creepy and more-or-less completely disregarding Renako's wishes for friendship, and Renako comes across as genuinely stressed and miserable on their "lover's days." Honestly kinda reminds me of something similar that happened between a friend and their ex; just, red flags for days. I think I'll keep an eye on this in case it gets better, but at the moment, I'm just getting a really uncomfortable vibe here.

I will give Mai that like, her whole thing of "why can't lovers and friends be the same thing?" is a good outlook on stuff, Renako clearly has some stuff to work through about that, but that doesn't make Mai's actual behavior any less pushy. One of those cases of a manga portraying the main relationship so weirdly that I sincerely hope Renako ends up with literally anyone else, (maybe Ajisai? She seems like she'd actually respect her boundaries some) even if it's probably never gonna happen given the setup thus far.

last edited at Aug 22, 2022 9:27PM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Looks like this is getting an official English release, in both the light novel and the manga.

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1527024405678895104

Kinda surprising? I didn't think it was THAT popular.

Watanare is one of the most popular LN's out right now

YouDontEnunciate
Yande.re%20391062
joined Dec 2, 2022

I wanna see Aji-sai kiss too !!!!!!

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

Does anyone here know what happened to Meatbun Translations? I wanted to read more of the light novel for this, but it seems like the blog has gone private.

20220430_132533
joined Dec 16, 2019

meatbun decided to close his blog after the light novel got licensed by Seven Seas, but he's put up a link to his translations in a drive on Watanare discord.

Nana-anime-16
joined Jul 7, 2014

I'm so glad I came here and read the comments because I got a vibe there would be a love triangle after chapter 12 and discovering is harem will just make me drop it because I hate it and it makes me sad.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

This thing needs a love chart. I will work on one. It feels like Renako has all these levels from 1 to 10 of infatuation and Mai is #1 but that doesn't stop other girls from being #2 or #5. I can see Mai casually telling some of them "I was her first everything, you know."

joined Jan 6, 2017

This thing needs a love chart. I will work on one. It feels like Renako has all these levels from 1 to 10 of infatuation and Mai is #1 but that doesn't stop other girls from being #2 or #5. I can see Mai casually telling some of them "I was her first everything, you know."

#1 Mai & Ajisai
#2 Satsuki

That's it

646c0aaafb057a6db14ec06bae9b7497
joined Dec 26, 2021

I feel like no one will read this, but I just want to vent. Trigger warning for sexual assault and attempted rape if you haven't read the manga.

Chapter 14 depicts Mai very clearly trying to rape Renako. It's so textbook that I am astonished. Renako even processes the event in exactly the way a textbook would expect a rape victim to respond. Including blaming herself, gaslighting herself, and thinking that somehow 'No.' 'Wait.' 'I said no!' 'I'm not ready for this yet.' 'Cut it out.' 'I'm sorry I can't yet.' 'STOP IT!' and explicitly telling her that she does not want to be undressed did not communicate her lack of consent clearly enough. (I am reading the official English release for anyone trying to match the quotes exactly.)

I bring this up because I genuinely believe that the author does not realise that what Renako went through was a rape attempt. The tone of the encounter tries to remain comedic and the rest of the volume is about Renako and Satsuki believing that somehow Renako has to now take care of Mai because Mai getting rejected and slapped by Renako (as a response to the attempted rape) deeply hurt Mai's feelings.

This baffles and infuriates me beyond belief. What the fuck is going on in this manga?! I am hoping against hope that somehow the next volume adresses this explicitly, but it seems that instead we are setting up a harem. What?!

last edited at Sep 29, 2023 12:49AM by MrEngenious

MrEngenious Admin
Puff
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

Just because you feel like no one is going to read your post does not grant you permission to dump unmarked spoilers. I have edited your post to mark everything. Don't do that again.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Thanks for bumping this thread, because I'd never heard of this series before. I like it a lot, it sort of reminds me of the Korean comic "White Angels Have No Rest" (an extremely dark psychological erotica that imo handles topics way darker than I'd normally be cool with in a way that makes me accept it), except this is a teen comedy lol. But it's similarly a story about the interactions between mental illness and desire.

I bring this up because I genuinely believe that the author does not realise that what Renako went through was a rape attempt. The tone of the encounter tries to remain comedic and the rest of the volume is about Renako and Satsuki believing that somehow Renako has to now take care of Mai because Mai getting rejected and slapped by Renako (as a response to the attempted rape) deeply hurt Mai's feelings.

This baffles and infuriates me beyond belief. What the fuck is going on in this manga?! I am hoping against hope that somehow the next volume adresses this explicitly, but it seems that instead we are setting up a harem. What?!

I don't know how you got the impression the author thought that stuff was fine considering Renako slaps Mai, calls her an asshole, and kicks her out of her house the same chapter it happens. It has repercussions that last quite a while and imo based on what's available so far on Mangadex continues to be something stuck between Renako and Mei, hence the "harem" arcs of her spending time with her other friends (no idea why people get so jumpy over the concept of a character daring to be potentially attracted to multiple people tbh...). They're not actively calling your attention to it but you can absolutely see it in how Renako treats Mai and the shame and revulsion she treats her own sexual feelings with.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Well, if no-one likes the direction this manga has gone in, it's my headcanon that both MCs are dead after falling off the roof on Ch1 pg 16 and everything after that is some weird sort of purgatory.

To reply you must either login or sign up.