Forum › Luminous=Blue discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

What I am trying to prove with my survey is to show you for whatever reason people are OK with what you call mediocre. Perhaps this means you should not be so quick to judge?

No what you were trying to prove is that bad writing in general and the rushed ending of this in particular are good and represent how yuri should be. Which they are not.

I don't want people to diminish the enjoyment of those who like these stories by calling it "mediocre".

What you really want to avoid is to accept that sometimes people can dislike something for good reasons.

Because I am a champion of the people! I hear the calling of my fellow Yuri fanatics, and am driven to defend them! Have at you!

Everyone on this unholy site is a yuri fan. You only defend yourself and nobody else.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 3:23PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Oh, I see--a troll. Well played, then.

Sigh. And this is why every piece of fluffy Yuri on this site has to be filled with many comments about bad writing. People who like the average Yuri story are trolls now? Can we not just enjoy all kinds of Yuri without being so critical?

No what you were trying to prove is that bad writing in general and the rushed ending of this in particular are good. Which they are not.

In this thread alone there are a lot of people who say they like the ending. I just happen to agree and have an interest in discussing it.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 12:59PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Hollows posted:

Oh, I see--a troll. Well played, then.

Sigh. And this is why every piece of fluffy Yuri on this site has to be filled with many comments about bad writing. People who like the average Yuri story are trolls now? Can we not just enjoy all kinds of Yuri without being so critical?

You're a troll because of the way you are arguing, not because you like the story.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

No what you were trying to prove is that bad writing in general and the rushed ending of this in particular are good. Which they are not.

In this thread alone there are a lot of people who say they like the ending. I just happen to agree and have an interest in discussing it.

Most people who "liked" this ending just said "Oh it's poly? Great!" They liked the outcome, not how we got there. Most likely not really invested into the story to begin with, which makes it easier to ignore flaws.
Others (myself included) saw the flaws, but still thought the story itself had merit and that the ending at the very least was intended from the start.
Then the majority is just confused or caught off guard by the sudden end and don't know what to make of it.
And yes, some hate it, which is not unreasonable either.

You aren't actually open to discussing the content however, only defending your stance on liking it in itself. I have absolutely no faith whatosever that you can make a legitimate argument why this rushed ending was genuinly good and not just barely acceptable for what it was.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 1:38PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Wow. So much wrong statements, I don't even know where to start. I'll just sum it up for you. Everyone has their own opinion on what is good and bad. There's no objective standard on that. You're free to have your bar as low as you want. Just don't get angry at and complain about people who don't agree with your opinion. You lost this argument the moment you tried to represent all yuri fans and said "yuri fans don't care about quality and only want escapism". That's factually not true, proven by yuri fans immediately disagreeing with that statement. That's what Blastaar was getting at.

I get where you're coming from. I'm usually not very picky about quality, as long as I'm enjoying it. I usually prefer to read light-hearted, drama free, fluffy yuri too. But I can recognize that not all works are equal. When something is done well, I can get more enjoyment from it. And poor execution can be the reason why I didn't like something. Also depending on my mood I don't mind more realistic or tragic stories. So again, #notallyurifans.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 2:49PM

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Why do you think well written stories always top the charts and are phenomena?

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time last I heard and, on a more general note, I really hope you aren't trying to make an argument that the most popular manga/anime/movie/novel/*anything* in general are so because they are paragons of thoughtful writing. That is almost never the case and one of the most fallacious arguments you could ever make.

Gentle reminder that - and this is something I give profound thanks for nearly everyday now - the Japanese authors of the vast majority of these works do not read this site and are blissfully unaware of Western yuri fans' self-important views on how they should do their job better. You are not giving feedback to the author here, so stop pretending that. You are only wallowing publicly in your own sense of superiority, writing post after essay-like post to no real effect except propping up how much better your tastes in Japanese schoolgirl lesbian fantasy stories are compared to others'. Please gain even a tiny bit of self-awareness about how far you are going (and habitually go) to belabor this point.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 3:05PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Once again, your powers of mind-reading about other people’s motivations are truly amazing—and by “amazing” I mean “filled with your own peculiar brand of delusional sense of self-importance.”

The people who write “essay-like posts” do it (I know this because it’s true of me and others have said so) because they enjoy reading these stories, thinking about them, and communicating their thoughts, and (often although not always) getting feedback from similar readers about those thoughts.

I couldn’t care less whether “Japanese authors” read my posts—they have their job to do and they do it. More condescending lectures and spurious mindreading isn’t going to change how readers respond to that work, either.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 3:12PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time and, on a more general note, I really hope you aren't trying to make an argument that the most popular manga/anime/movie/novel/*anything* in general are so because they are paragons of thoughtful writing. That is almost never the case and one of the most fallacious arguments you could ever make.

Cute. Have I said that only well written stories sell? No I have not. I am saying well written things always attract people.
Citrus for all its flaws has it's own advantages and gets a lot of flak without actually taking into account what it did right.

A hundred mediocre stories will paddle around the middle of a top 100 list, one or two outrageous attention grabbing things will make it into the top 10 and the rest will be something with actual merit in one way or another.

Gentle reminder that - and this is something I give profound thanks for nearly everyday now - the Japanese authors of the vast majority of these works do not read this site and are blissfully unaware of Western yuri fans' self-important views on how they should do their job better. You are not giving feedback to the author here, so stop pretending that. You are only wallowing publicly in your own sense of superiority, writing post after essay-like post to no real effect except propping up how much better your tastes in Japanese schoolgirl lesbian fantasy stories are compared to others'. Please gain even a tiny bit of self-awareness about how far you are going (and habitually go) to belabor this point.

Not so cute.

A not so gentle reminder to you then that whether an author actually reads criticisms or not, does not invalidate said criticism in any way. When I say that works have to be critisized and taken under examination, I am not saying that some random forum will actually change anything. It's about the general attitude many people have to just nod along and ignore any flaws whatsoever. If analyzing literature is treated like a nuisance, discourse about it becomes meaningless. You can be sure that everything people say here is also said to the author directly, both by the Editor and by the official influencers that actually have an effect.
I positively despise your insinuation that somehow being in the West or East makes any difference in this topic whatsoever. You think Japanese readers don't have opinions like this? What a joke.

Another belabored point that always gets thrown around by people like you is the "you write essay long replies". This is a non-sequitur and pure mudslinging. You should be ashamed.

Is it not typical that instead of addressing any points you resort to insulting me?

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

Point proven.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think there was room for improvement.

The teacher is underused, the sempai is a just a rough outline and the 3-way relationship is rushed forward.

It's like the author had planned a lot of things, but it didn't come out as well as they thought and they had to cut the experiment short.

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

FUCK YES
Poly ending. Did absolutely not expect that. Not because they were no hints. But because the mangaka actually pulled it off!
So fucking rare! The absolute and total madwoman! Kudos!

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 4:35PM

joined Jun 12, 2015

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time last I heard

False.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time last I heard and, on a more general note, I really hope you aren't trying to make an argument that the most popular manga/anime/movie/novel/*anything* in general are so because they are paragons of thoughtful writing. That is almost never the case and one of the most fallacious arguments you could ever make.

I love this entire comment.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Point proven.

Just saying it doesn't make it true, thankfully. Pretty childish I must say.

And insisting on continuing this will most likely just incite the mods, so I will just facepalm and leave it at that.

In a surrealist ironic sense I hope. Unless you are a fan of swiss cheese of course, because of the amount of holes it has.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Point proven.

Just saying it doesn't make it true, thankfully. Pretty childish I must say.

And insisting on continuing this will most likely just incite the mods, so I will just facepalm and leave it at that.

In a surrealist ironic sense I hope. Unless you are a fan of swiss cheese of course, because of the amount of holes it has.

Go be unbearably smug and condescending at someone else please.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Go be unbearably smug and condescending at someone else please.

Ironic coming from you. Oh well, I'll do my best.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Well if it's poly anyway why couldn't they take in that lonesome cute&cruel senpai as well?)
Or is there my tasty extra for senpai x teacher ? :3 it'd be nice~

Komomojpg
joined Aug 6, 2014

Woah that felt rushed, was it suddenly stopped or something?

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Gentle reminder that Citrus is the best-selling yuri manga of all time last I heard

Not "of all time", but it did get into a well-known American paper's list of best-sellers. If I'm not mistaken, that was The NY Times.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Woah that felt rushed, was it suddenly stopped or something?

If it's not selling that great, well, it's gonna be axed.

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

What a train wreck, both the manga and the comment section. At least the art was good. The artist should collaborate with an author who can actually write something coherent.

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

What a train wreck, both the manga and the comment section. At least the art was good. The artist should collaborate with an author who can actually write something coherent.

The author can write, it just was cancelled and they had to rush an ending, they were even begging on twitter for people to buy it, but nobody did.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Wow the comments here remind me of a child throwing a temper tantrum because their parent bought them the wrong toy for their b-day. The story was axed so we can't get a good ending and the author decided this was the best way to end it with a chapter or two remaining, although, the threesome route was probably not the best way to end this, I agree.

joined Jun 3, 2014

I do agree that this last chapter was just hacked together but I still really liked the last few pages. This poly end made me like this series a bit more and it what I was hoping for anyways.

joined Dec 3, 2018

Bad story couldn't sell so author decided to go out with a bang by having an even worse ending.

To reply you must either login or sign up.