Forum › Luminous=Blue discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The only way this wouldn't seem plausible is if you were one of the Nene haters who assumed she was using Kou - even though it was obvious she had real emotion toward Kou as well. You were wrong and you need to accept it. Certainly an unexpected outcome, but only because we so rarely actually see it happen, not because it wasn't built up to. It does make sense, the groundwork for it WAS laid, and as such I'm totally happy with it. (Excepting the fact that the teacher didn't get a girl of her own, but.)

Thanks for the condescending lecture—your advice about what other readers “need to do” is truly patronizing.

There’s no doubt that the narrative possibility of a polyamorous outcome was established relatively early on. You may well be satisfied with that outcome. But it’s not the outcome itself that’s implausible; it’s the herky-jerky path it took to end up there.

The story as it was actually told was little more than farcical, with both the senpai and Nene first depicted as deeply disturbed (the senpai's desire to see her loved one cry; Nene’s “hatred” for Amane) and then everything reversed on a dime because perky little Kou won the photo contest.

Nothing like setting up an intense emotional dilemma, then handwaving it away with a bunch of glitter and floaty hearts.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Nothing like setting up an intense emotional dilemma, then handwaving it away with a bunch of glitter and floaty hearts.

Well we are reading yuri.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I was in fear right from the beginning, that the story might crush my kokoro into pieces. But now having an polyamory end, I'm happy that I read this.

hmmmmm

Chained-kong-5ab9c8a67b959
joined Jul 14, 2019

this chapter felt super duper duper rushed and it all went by so fast and i was so psyched for the end cuz i thought it’d b cute n shid and the two exs would b happy together nd shid but it ended up being poly and i throw up. frfrrf this chapter ruined it

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 10:32PM

Images
joined Dec 15, 2016

Not what I expected but I am satisfied

joined Oct 27, 2018

Definitely felt rushed, that said, while im not really a fan of polyamory, this one had me kinda into it, sad to see it end in such a rushed chapter.

With this one ending and Bloom into You about to end, I'm running out of serialized yuri to read, soon I might have to give in and read the travesty that is Useless Princesses or one of the million age gap manga shudders. At least I got Still Sick left.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 2:05AM

joined May 7, 2017

GOOD RIDDANCE, it could have been the best yuri of late, but the author said: Nah, this world could use more useless drama, because why not

Yes, still salty, forever salty, team salty

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Just how lowly do you think of the Yuri genre that you equate half-assed writing with it?
Bad writing or issues with the plot/consistency always should be pointed out and critisized, unless it's a surreal comedy where plot doesn't matter.

If readers are mindlessly content with everything they are fed, no writer can ever improve.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 2:20AM

G-xnwzom_400x400
joined Sep 26, 2019

Rushed manga is rushed.

Kinda wished they would have got the senpai involved though.

Missed opportunities.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 8:11AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The sudden wedding dress flashforward was a nice flourish.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Just how lowly do you think of the Yuri genre that you equate half-assed writing with it?
Bad writing or issues with the plot/consistency always should be pointed out and critisized, unless it's a surreal comedy where plot doesn't matter.

If readers are mindlessly content with everything they are fed, no writer can ever improve.

Cliche Yuri tropes got me into the genre and cliche Yuri tropes made me stay. I don't want good writing in my Yuri. If I wanted to feel I'd go read a book or something.

Yuri is a fairytale, it is by its nature anthithesis to what is considered "good writing" nowadays. Nowadays people consider realism and drama to be "good writing". But I don't want realism or drama in my Yuri. I want to see girls living a lighthearted life and falling in love light-heartedly. I don't want conflict or drama, I want fluff and happiness. I want happy smiles and girls being cute. I want all problems to go away in the face of Yuri.

I'm here to read the same cliche Yuri tropes over and over again, and it seems everyone else wants the same.

This is what authors like to draw and what people like to read.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 10:08AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Cliche Yuri tropes got me into the genre and cliche Yuri tropes made me stay. I don't want good writing in my Yuri. If I wanted to feel I'd go read a book or something.

Yuri is a fairytale, it is by its nature anthithesis to what is considered "good writing" nowadays. Nowadays people consider realism and drama to be "good writing". But I don't want realism or drama in my Yuri. I want to see girls living a lighthearted life and falling in love light-heartedly. I don't want conflict or drama, I want fluff and happiness. I want happy smiles and girls being cute. I want all problems to go away in the face of Yuri.

I'm here to read the same cliche Yuri tropes over and over again, and it seems everyone else wants the same.

This is what authors like to draw and what people like to read. Leave it alone.

You made up a definition of yuri for yourself out of sheer escapsim? I'm impressed.
Look, you can enjoy whatever you want. If you love seeing and reading the exact same tropes for the hundreth time without any effort put into them, that is all well and good.

The problem here is that Luminous=Blue is not that. It never was that and the author had no intention of making it that. There was drama, there was a deeper reflection on characters and not just mindless repetitive tropes. It wasn't just fluff. It attempted to have good writing.
So an unsatisfying, rushed conclusion without any of the story's potential coming to fruit is a shame. It's a tragedy.

You can have good writing without drama, by the way. But you can never have good stories with lazy, repetitive and uninspired writing. And you only consider your own preferences here. You never think of the writer. Authors don't want to stagnate, they want to write something good. Without constructive feedback, it won't happen.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 10:15AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Completely and utterly, delusionally false.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

I don't want good writing in my Yuri. If I wanted to feel I'd go read a book or something.

Bruh moment

20200827_004119
joined Jan 3, 2017

that ending came out of nowhere.

Hana
joined Jun 20, 2014

sad this got axed and had to be rushed with this ending.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

This isn't a point I really care to argue. As you said, if that was the case the authors would have written the story differently.

If you survey the landscape Yuri is filled with bad writing and cliches. The few stories that could be considered to have "good writing" are few and far between or devolve into Yuri cliches half way through. This story is an example right here.

What good will blaming the authors or some greater power? Yuri isn't this way because some God or abstract "society" didn't care to make it better. Yuri is this way because people want it to be. That's the only explanation.

I'm ok with that though. This is the way it's meant to be.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 11:46AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This isn't a point I really care to argue. As you said, if that was the case the authors would have written the story differently.

If you survey the landscape Yuri is filled with bad writing and cliches. The few stories that could be considered to have "good writing" are few and far between or devolve into Yuri cliches half way through. This story is an example right here.

What good will blaming the authors or some greater power? Yuri isn't this way because some God or abstract "society" didn't care to make it better. Yuri is this way because people want it to be. That's the only explanation.

I'm ok with that though. This is the way it's meant to be.

Your description is also quite false. As in any narrative genre, there are plenty of very mediocre examples of yuri manga. There are also exceptional examples, and examples of everything in between.

The complacent assumption that everyone shares both your values and evaluations is completely unwarranted.

joined Jul 26, 2016

As you said, if that was the case the authors would have written the story differently.

One imagines the series suddenly having a date with Mme Guillotine scheduled may rather have had something to do with it. Tends to force the author's hand more than a bit that.

...may I direct you to Sturgeon's Law? I've parsed enough manga - and popular culture in general - to firmly hold that "90% of everything is crap" is a fact thoroughly genre-blind.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 12:16PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Your description is also quite false. As in any narrative genre, there are plenty of very mediocre examples of yuri manga. There are also exceptional examples, and examples of everything in between.

And yet, despite this mediocrity these thing have not been taken out by public opinion.

You mentioned that other genres also have mediocre titles. Random mentioned Sturgeon's law. Is this not an admission that no matter which genre you go to, most of its consumers do not care about what you consider "good"?

I think this does mean most of Yuri consumers agree with me. We take delight in the mediocrity of Yuri. You are the elitist who always have to find fault with everything that doesn't suit your liking.

You can try to convince me and my like-minded comrades that we are wrong. But you cannot deny our existence nor deny us what we want.

Yuri monsters of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains! We will overthrow the oppressive regime of these supposed intellectuals! We will take back Yuri and put it in the hands of the people!

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 12:33PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You can try to convince me and my like-minded comrades that we are wrong. But you cannot deny our existence nor deny us what we want.

I would never try to convince you that you're wrong; that's obviously a hopeless task.

I'm content to just call out fatuous generalizations when they appear.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think this does mean most of Yuri consumers agree with me. We take delight in the mediocrity of Yuri. You are the elitist who always have to find fault with everything that doesn't suit your liking.

Nonsense. The reason mediocre stuff survives is that there is not enough good stuff. That is not an admission that people like mediocre stuff. Good writing is hard, therefore most supply will be mediocre or bad, even though the demand is for good writing. Why do you think well written stories always top the charts and are phenomena? Because people want good writing. There is so little of it that people jump on it and try to suck every last bit out of it (that's why good series get milked btw).

The flipside of this argument is also this: Most people that like a mediocre fluff story don't actually think it's mediocre most of the time. That's because people enjoy different things more than others. Someone who is really into animal girls will find animal girl yuri so appealing that bad writing has less of an impact on them, so they don't see it as mediocre, but as outstanding.

Nobody I have ever talked to revels in mediocrity, except you. There are no allies on your side. You are the exception.

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 12:39PM

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

The flipside of this argument is also this: Most people that like a mediocre fluff story don't actually think it's mediocre most of the time. That's because people enjoy different things more than others. Someone who is really into animal girls will find animal girl yuri so appealing that bad writing has less of an impact on them, so they don't see it as mediocre, but as outstanding.

Well, there you go. I don't care for mediocrity itself. I simply do not agree with your judgement about what is mediocre.

What I am trying to prove with my survey is to show you for whatever reason people are OK with what you call mediocre. Perhaps this means you should not be so quick to judge?

I don't want people to diminish the enjoyment of those who like these stories by calling it "mediocre".

If however, you continue to pass judgement about what is and is not "mediocre" Then I will continue to defend mediocrity.

Because I am a champion of the people! I hear the calling of my fellow Yuri fanatics, and am driven to defend them! Have at you!

last edited at Sep 26, 2019 12:44PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, there you go. I don't care for mediocrity itself. I simply do not agree with your judgement about what is mediocre.

What I am trying to prove with my survey is to show you for whatever reason people are OK with what you call mediocre. Perhaps this means you should not be so quick to judge?

I don't want people to diminish the enjoyment of those who like these stories by calling it "mediocre".

If however, you continue to pass judgement about what is and is not "mediocre" Then I will continue to defend mediocrity.

Because I am a champion of the people! I hear the calling of my fellow Yuri fanatics, and am driven to defend them! Have at you!

Oh, I see--a troll. Well played, then.

Bye.

To reply you must either login or sign up.