Forum › Still Sick discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

I really hope Shimizu isn't evolving into a Kase-san here. Maekawa talking to a female colleague at work, the horror...

...I think you got the names flipped 'round, there.

651d5cf1407a67bd0f3195afdc1f2964f9cf4bfbr1-960-540v2_uhq
joined Nov 21, 2014

This relationship is getting more and more toxic. It's getting kind of hard to read this and ship them together, Shizumu deserves so much better.

I think so too. I really don't know why I'm still reading this since I can't bring myself to root for these two. Maekawa keeps treating Shimizu like shit and it just makes me feel frustrated that Shimizu is still putting up with it.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 3:53AM

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Shizumu is talking to another girl, why do I feel things!

Just figure out you want to be a couple already, Shizumu deserves herself a girlfriend, not this weird best friends thing you got going on

Images
joined Sep 30, 2018

Isn't Shimizu just the best gril

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Just saying... doesn't Maekawa seem a little... abusive? Like, she expects her friend to completely emotionally care for her, never leave her side, and always be there for emotional support. She uses the fact that her friend likes her and blatantly leads her on for the specific purpose of becoming an emotional leech and isolating her from others (i.e getting pissed when she needs to talk to others, even in a work setting). And most importantly she manipulates her emotionally, guilt tripping her into never leaving under any circumstances, even when being toyed with and used, else being an evil monster just like everyone else who's ever left her. Disclaimer: I still don't think Maekawa is a bad person, just has way to many issues to dump on a friend or spouse. This relationship is getting more and more toxic. It's getting kind of hard to read this and ship them together, Shizumu deserves so much better. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to this because I've been exposed to it tho.

I see what you mean, but I guess the big difference is that, they talk(ed) about it. Maekawa was always very forward about her lack of emotion. And also, I think Maekawa is growing a lot with every chapter and Shimizu knows how to handle her.
Sorry about your experience. There are some very manipulative people and messed up relationships in RL (that's why I'm here in fictional life) and I also really hate it, when an abusive treatment in manga is depicted as romantic. However I don't think this is the case here though. It is some heavy drama. Maekawa is a person with a lot of fear and I believe Shimizu can handle how she's treated.^^
Plus, Shimizu got something out of this relationship, too. She finally accepted that she is attracted to women.

also I read the raws (without understanding a thing) and I think
after one more chapter of heavy drama, it gets better, though both chapters available were like up and down, like all the chapters translated here^^

I started comparing this to "liberty" (which is definitely abusive imo...) and I always come to the conclusion, that Maekawa's fears are actually well written and understandable and she wants to break out, but can't (but I believe she will). Whereas Liberty is just some spoiled brat full of self-pity.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 10:56AM

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Just saying... doesn't Maekawa seem a little... abusive? Like, she expects her friend to completely emotionally care for her, never leave her side, and always be there for emotional support. She uses the fact that her friend likes her and blatantly leads her on for the specific purpose of becoming an emotional leech and isolating her from others (i.e getting pissed when she needs to talk to others, even in a work setting). And most importantly she manipulates her emotionally, guilt tripping her into never leaving under any circumstances, even when being toyed with and used, else being an evil monster just like everyone else who's ever left her. Disclaimer: I still don't think Maekawa is a bad person, just has way to many issues to dump on a friend or spouse. This relationship is getting more and more toxic. It's getting kind of hard to read this and ship them together, Shizumu deserves so much better. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive to this because I've been exposed to it tho.

Yes her behavior is not healthy, although I would not go so far as to call it abusive and I think you are probably reading too much malice into her motivations. Maekawa is quite self aware about the harm her behavior can cause those she grows close to. It is the reason that despite having a pretty serious crush on Maekawa she goes out of her way to try and maintain a safe distance in their relationship even going so far as to outright warn Shizumu about her pattern of harmful behavior with past lovers.

The fact Maekawa really cares about and is attached to Shizumu is paradoxically the same reason she keeps her distance and refuses to date her because she is aware of the harm it would do. She doesn't want to end up using and discarding Shizumu the way she has all her past lovers.

Those who suffer from mental or emotional problems that are damaging to the people around them aren't always bad or malicious people. Many are haunted and guilt ridden by the inevitable hurt they cause their loved ones, but are unable to stop it. Some will choose to completely self isolate. Others may just keep everyone in their life at an arms length in an attempt to prevent it from happening again, but the crushing loneliness and fundamental human desire for intimacy gnaws away at their resolve to remain at a safe distance. This is a big part of what we are watching happen with Maekawa.

Shizumu has her own issues that have kept her from ever having an intimate relationship with another human being which differ from Maikawa's, but the end result is similar in that they are both very lonely people that desperately want to be closer to the other but are too deathly afraid and damaged to let it happen. You view the relationship as being very one sided as far as who is hurting who, but if you look back through the chapters you can see how even innocent and kind hearted Shizumu has ended up hurting Maikawa due to her various mental and emotional hang ups.

There is a reason this manga is titled Still Sick.

Also, for the record, this is one of my all time favorite manga on this site. I wish there were more subtle and intelligently written stories like this on here. I think I even put this above Bloom Into You which is basically the gold standard I judge all yuri dramas against.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 4:04AM

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

ahhh, finally my favorite trope. Jealousy

Whatsapp%20image%202019-04-25%20at%2010.16.22%20pm%20(1)
joined Jan 4, 2018

ahhh, finally my favorite trope. Jealousy

same

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Phoenix%20picture
joined Jul 20, 2016

Guys I think she just doesn't realize she likes Shimizu

joined Apr 23, 2019

Finding Maekawa so sexy, but completely unaware about her sexuality.
How it will be when she "explode"...? I guess hot, very hot...

joined Jan 26, 2017

GeneralJ posted:

Maekawa is sick.

She was bitten by one of those infamous Astolfo bean plushies

Oooh, I know the feeling, I was bitten by one those too.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 8:02AM

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Sooo, Maekawa's the jealous type haha.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Sweet, sweet jelly.

Captureefef
joined Mar 16, 2018

What's the word of the day?

Adashima%20%207q
joined Mar 29, 2019

What's the word of the day?

mind if ask from what manga is that panel?

Captureefef
joined Mar 16, 2018

mind if ask from what manga is that panel?

It's called
Kawaii Hito

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 2:30PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Kawaii hito, huh? I didn't know that, but it sure describes Maekawa's feelings well, haha.

Maekawa will realize eventually that her jealousy means she has romantic feelings for Shimizu... and then she'll go: "OH NO what the heck is this, my mind works just like a romcom character's! Noooooo..."

Descarga
joined Aug 10, 2015

this shit is so fucking goooood
character talking to each others to solve problems
no BS misunderstandings
characters slowly realizing their feelings
funny and meaningful interactions

i need more of this right now

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

I really wish I knew japanese to read the original version of Still Sick in the authof's Pixiv, seems just as good as this version. Also, this chapter was so good!!

Minami
joined Jun 25, 2019

I really wish I knew japanese to read the original version of Still Sick in the authof's Pixiv, seems just as good as this version. Also, this chapter was so good!!

I mean you can still read the raws on Pixiv, you will just don't understand what happen but you can try to understand with the pictures.

Little Red Rum
joined Mar 6, 2015

At the beginning Maekawa's emotion was already numb into a smiling polite doll who adjust things to fit in even though it means abandoning her passion, but the more the story progresses, the more we see that she's now reacting and doing things according to her emotions.

She's getting her senses back!

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

Jelly Jelly

Eh
joined Dec 16, 2014

Those fingers blushed. Lol wtf

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

this shit is so fucking goooood
character talking to each others to solve problems
no BS misunderstandings
characters slowly realizing their feelings
funny and meaningful interactions

i need more of this right now

Amen

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Those fingers blushed. Lol wtf

That happens when you do things like some extreme Hand Holding, for example. Blushing fingers, some other things...

To reply you must either login or sign up.