Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

joined Apr 10, 2023

To me this chapter reinforces the idea that, for Xingyuan, Tianli did have confused feelings, which were partially responsible for this mess--especially when she's framed as a kind of foil to Xiaoen, a romantic partner. I'd even say it was her, back then. She was already Xingyuan's confidant but wanted to be more, though she didn't know what more meant. She's still unsure of why she was and still is so concerned with Xingyuan's company. She knows her feelings for Xingyuan are unique compared to her feelings for others, yet can't fully put it together. It's unfortunate for her.

She's one step down a path of self discovery she would have needed to do years ago, back in middle school, for her to have had a chance. Even now she either can't or refuses to name the flavor of feeling she has. She channeled it into spiteful jealousy back then and it's permanently corrupted.
That feels like it's a high demand for a child, especially a potentially queer child, except Xianyuan did it at that age, so Tianli was always doomed due to her inability to meet that pace.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

And she wants to somehow make amends. This matters a lot, by my book. I hate the notion that when you grow up and become an adult you have to forget all the things that happened before because it was just unimportant children silliness. You know, like those assholes were saying in the chat? Thx god Tianli doesn't think like that.

I agree with you and I'm extremely glad that the author is making a point of conscientiously and resolutely rebuke that moronic notion. You find a lot (in comics or films or tv shows) characters who have been hurt or bullied when they were kids and still carry the scars as adults, and everyone tells them "What, you're still sore about that? You pathetic loser. It was just children stuff. Get over it. Grow up." It makes me so mad. It's basic textbook that repressing childhood traumas wrecks you as an adult and takes you straight to the divan of a psychiatrist.

And you thought the author was making a point of it last chapter...

I liked chapter 48, but I didn't like chapter 49. Too heavy-handed.

If an author wants to push an author's message, there are better ways than this.

last edited at Mar 4, 2024 3:18PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

"Go Fourth & Find Another Girl" is what I'm hearing here. She can't take back that she outed the girl she (kinda?) liked, but she'll have other opportunities to make new relationships and explore her sexuality.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Just say you're sorry and go, there's nothing else you can do here now...

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

“It’s not that I’m better than you, that I managed not to destroy anything–rather that it's because I was luckier than you, to only have gone through this test later at a later age.” Such a great quote and summarizes my feelings about Tianli. It's unfortunate. After this chapter, it's clear she's thinking romantically but she’s got to move on. Ship's sailed. Also “Why do you kids believe every bit of nonsense that comes out of Mu Xiaoen's mouth,” is another great line, for those who took Mu Xiaoen's “not serious” seriously. I love her but Mu Xiaoen likes to deflect, deny, and say nonsense every once and a while.

last edited at Mar 4, 2024 3:58PM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I love "Can I not listen to this?" Like ultimately Tianli just wants to make amends and pretty explicitly find a way to get to be with Xingyuan, and like as understandable as that is for her. For Xingyuan it really is just "Can I not listen to this" can this be over, can you stop talking to me (about this).

Like the real problem right now for Xingyuan is that Tianli whether she wants to or not is just tearing the scars of being cast out and forced to drop out of school for being gay, back open over and over and over again every time they talk.

last edited at Mar 4, 2024 3:41PM

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Girl needs to just realize this bridge wasn't just burned, but is also built on faulty ground. Might be time to go build one somewhere else.

joined Oct 19, 2022

For Xingyuan it really is just "Can I not listen to this" can this be over, can you stop talking to me (about this).

Also, can you get the hell out of my life and never return? So that I don't have to remember your betrayal every time I look at you? Pretty please?

“Why do you kids believe every bit of nonsense that comes out of Mu Xiaoen's mouth,” is another great line.

It's a line adressed to the readers. I suspect it's not only people in this forum who complained that ch49 was too didactic and heavy-handed in hammering home a takeaway message. Chinese readers must have grumbled too.

I think Tracy Hu is telling the readers: “What message? R U dumb? Don't take as a message any bs that comes out of Xiaoen's ass!”

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

While it can be terrible losing your closest friend over a terrible mistake you made, no matter how much you regret it the damage is done. There’s no recovery and everytime that person sees you they can only remember the cruel memories you have them. Accept the loss and exit their life, that’s the only thing you can do for them now

joined Apr 10, 2023

God I love this series so fucking much <3 "Can I not listen to this?" is such a good line!!

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Damn the resolution, and the growth for Xingyuan, are absolutely perfect.

And it's not the first time this was shown, but the characters do really act their age. I could see myself, back when I was 19, believing that an honest talk and good intentions would fix most things, and 10 years later, realizing that some things just can't be repaired.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Lovely lovely chapter.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Me: Screaming at my computer, for Tianli to JUST SHUT UP! YOU'RE MAKING IT WORSE!!! Like she could hear me...

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

tianli has to learn sooner or later that after a certain point, apologies are best left unsaid as theyre simply an attempt to assuage the guilt of the person who did something wrong

joined Jan 3, 2020

Damn the resolution, and the growth for Xingyuan, are absolutely perfect.

And it's not the first time this was shown, but the characters do really act their age. I could see myself, back when I was 19, believing that an honest talk and good intentions would fix most things, and 10 years later, realizing that some things just can't be repaired.

Yeah, and the car ride and response was pretty accurate to how most people in their teens would take advice like this.

"You don't know everything! My situation is totally different!"

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

"Some things are better left unsaid. Some strings are better left undone. Oh, believe, some hearts are better left unbroken. Some lives are better left untouched."

last edited at Mar 5, 2024 12:18PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love the bit where she asks Xiaoen "Are you going to stay the night there?" And she's like:

Whaaat? No! I am a pure and innocent maiden! (hangs up and drops the veneer) I mean she's been throwing up, I don't wanna kiss that right now.

last edited at Mar 5, 2024 2:21PM

36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

i just binged this series for 3 days and this shit's so good omg why did no one tell me about it before

joined Apr 10, 2023

Clearly you need friends with better taste in reading material, lol. Personally I've been shouting this comic from the rooftops to anyone I know who reads queer fiction online and off.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

and there's the end for Tianli, she's just not going to get what she wants and she needed to understand that. her relationship with Xingyuan is over now, they were best friends once, they could have been more, but now they're not. Xingyuan truly just wanted never to hear from this again and as understandable as Tianli's drive to rekindle their relationship is, that want has to come from two directions and Xingyuan wants to leave it behind.

And the kindest thing, the only thing Tianli can do for her as the person who was once her best friend is to accept that.

AUGH this series is so fucking good!!!!!. It's just banger chapter with banger lines one after the other! Genuinely this is going to end up being a ten out of ten favorite if it keeps up the quality which I have no reason to believe it won't, lmao.

last edited at Mar 25, 2024 6:36AM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

I know this was like, the least important part of a very emotional chapter, but I fucking died from laughter at Sixi, yeah who's encouraging these romantics, says the girl that came up with this stupid billboard lmao

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Love how this situation is handled.

joined Feb 24, 2023

Get owned, don’t let the door hit you on the way out

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

I know this was like, the least important part of a very emotional chapter, but I fucking died from laughter at Sixi, yeah who's encouraging these romantics, says the girl that came up with this stupid billboard lmao

Sixi (chapter 36): " Can't you people show more respect for love?!"

Also Sixi (now): Why so much flirting?????

I love her

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Please do turn that peach orchard into your lovefest.

To reply you must either login or sign up.