Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Apr 2, 2023

I've got mine sorted out early. It was easier for me just to get a few lots/box sets quickly before they got rare and sell off the extras. Because it's just one Popup location everyone is in competition with locals trying to order on mercari too. And while remaining stock is supposed to go into their online store later, they use a non-Buyee proxy service and didn't want to gamble with things out of stock. Currently they've been selling out several things every day so... hey, at least it's popular.

I'll be putting a few things up on Mercari US sometime after it all comes in. Tho I don't believe you're in the US so that doesn't help. :( The preorder books are coming in the same box so it is still a ways off. Crossing my fingers the shipping isn't horrible. That's where I always get hosed.

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

Yeap, no Im not from US :'c So my plans right now are to do a second delivery (first one is the books) in which I will do a hunt in Mercari for the extras items of the book stores I didn't buy, and in that same time see what I can get of the re-sell of the Pop Up Store in Buyee. In that time Im supposed to have a little "free" $ to spend; is going to hurt a lot the second delivery, not because of the items themself but the delivery hahaha but just this time I can

Edit: March is going to be my "hunt items" time haha

last edited at Feb 15, 2024 8:55PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I'm sad we don't get to see Mitsuki using Aya's shoulder as a crutch

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

I didn't think much of the page count at first, but always having a payoff every fourth page feels like I'm reading to a click track. 4/4-ass manga.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

The lillies are blooming folks , it's not a whole field of them yet, but it's getting there !

joined May 9, 2017

I didn't think much of the page count at first, but always having a payoff every fourth page feels like I'm reading to a click track. 4/4-ass manga.

The format is showing its limits. Given the success of the manga, I wished the author would do longer form chapter. I guess there will be one on the second volume (as there were one in the first one). But still, I wouldn't mind having to wait two or three weeks for longer chapters.

Btw, Sumiko reached a million subscribers on Twitter! I'm pretty much sure it's also due to the translator's work/effort as well as a good portion of those subscribers are foreigners. Thank you for the translation, as always!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

We are reaching new heights of uselessness. :D

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

The format is showing its limits. Given the success of the manga, I wished the author would do longer form chapter. I guess there will be one on the second volume (as there were one in the first one). But still, I wouldn't mind having to wait two or three weeks for longer chapters.

Btw, Sumiko reached a million subscribers on Twitter! I'm pretty much sure it's also due to the translator's work/effort as well as a good portion of those subscribers are foreigners. Thank you for the translation, as always!

You're welcome.

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

WERE GETTING THERE

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

GIRLFRIEND WORD MENTIONED, RED ALERT

joined Aug 19, 2022

Did people understand what was going on? I don't get what was perceptive vs. oblivious.

joined Sep 12, 2023

^ I'm puzzled too. Perceptive vs. oblivious? What do they mean?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's not "VS".

It's a X, meaning it's a ship.

Aya's the perceptive one, ie, she can read the mood.
Mitsuki's the oblivious one, who can't read the mood.

My interpretation of this chapter is that Aya looked at the relationship of Joe and Kanna, thought it was nice they could talk so freely and made a parallel with her own relationship with "Onii-san", obviously wishing it would be the same.

And she blurted it out to Mitsuki, forgetting for a moment that Mitsuki=Onii-san. When she realized, she ran away, but it flew over Mitsuki's head completely.

last edited at Feb 18, 2024 2:58PM

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

It's not "VS".

My interpretation of this chapter is that Aya looked at the relationship of Joe and Kanna, thought it was nice they could talk so freely and made a parallel with her own relationship with "Onii-san", obviously wishing it would be the same.

And she blurted it out to Mitsuki, forgetting for a moment that Mitsuki=Onii-san. When she realized, she ran away, but it flew over Mitsuki's head completely.

Yes, that's pretty much my take as well.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

It's not "VS".

This. The only thing I would add is that Joe and Kanna are not just talking so freely but being obviously intimate and at ease. Kanna can flirt with Joe without feeling self-conscious. Whereas Aya often struggles to look at Mitsuki without feeling self-conscious.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It's not "VS".

This. The only thing I would add is that Joe and Kanna are not just talking so freely but being obviously intimate and at ease. Kanna can flirt with Joe without feeling self-conscious. Whereas Aya often struggles to look at Mitsuki without feeling self-conscious.

The perks of being an adult who had a decade or more to figure out her feelings and relationships. Aya will get there, too, I believe in her.

joined Aug 19, 2022

you guys are amazing. thx!

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I am once again asking you to just fucking confess.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I don't even think Aya forgot Mitsuki was "onii-san," she just got embarrassed and self conscious using that name for the first time in a long time due to all the baggage it comes with (Aya's feeling stupid for not recognizing Mitiski, guilt at misgendering her, embarrassment at realizing she was gushing to her friends about someone who was sitting right there the whole time, etc).
I would be thrilled if this leads to a real conversion about gender between them, actually. Mitsuki is clearly very butch at minimum, but how does she feel about identifying as a woman in general? I'd love to know.

last edited at Feb 19, 2024 7:45PM

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I would be thrilled if this leads to a real conversion about gender between them, actually. Mitsuki is clearly very butch at minimum, but how does she feel about identifying as a woman in general? I'd love to know.

I think it'a less that she's butch and more that she is somewhat oblivious to social expectations and just finds a more masculine style of clothing comfortable without thinking too deeply about it. I don't think she has ever had any noticable objection to dressing feminine beyond "oh, yeah, I don't have very many skirts, do I...? It probably wouldn't look good on me anyways."

joined Apr 10, 2023

I think it'a less that she's butch and more that she is somewhat oblivious to social expectations and just finds a more masculine style of clothing comfortable without thinking too deeply about it. I don't think she has ever had any noticable objection to dressing feminine beyond "oh, yeah, I don't have very many skirts, do I...? It probably wouldn't look good on me anyways."

In her character bio (chapter 9.1) Mitsuki swears to never again wear a skirt once she graduates high school and can thus leave her uniform behind. In the flashback to her childhood in Rhythm B when a friend tries to get her to wear a skirt, her immediate reaction is "urgh...", trying to deflect, and then outright refusing when the friend doesn't let up. She thinks about how she doesn't have any skirts and doesn't want any. She absolutely has a deliberate concept of what she feels comfortable in and how she wants to present to the world, she's not accidentally dressing boyish because that's what happened to be in the closet lol.
This doesn't necessarily mean she's trans or anything of course, but combining that style of personal presentation with being a gay woman = butch, that's just basic math :P

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I feel like her style is more "punk girl" than boyish personally. I never got the impression that she was making an effort to look like a boy, just that she thought a sort of cool/baggy look suited her better. If that means butch to you, okay, but I feel like there's a fine distinction to be found there

joined Apr 10, 2023

She's not specifically "trying to look like a boy," and yet her fashion choices matter far more to her than merely what she thinks looks good on her. Go back and read Rhythm B. Her clothing is tied into her identity. She does not think "I won't dress in an unflattering way," she thinks "I won't lie to myself". Hey perspective is a fundamentally queer one, not simply one about what clothes she thinks looks best. If it was just that then she'd be open to trying out other things even if just once, like her former friend wanted her to. If it was just that she wouldn't have "swore to never wear a skirt again after high school" as one of her defining features in her bio.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

After rereading Rhythm B, at the very least we can say Koga dislikes skirts (maybe femine clothing in general but it's not clear), doesn't have a strong instinct to "go along to get along," and is somewhat uncaring of the potential social fallout of her decisions. I don't know if I'd say she thinks of it as part of her identity, though she does acknowledge that it makes her "different." It still feels to me that it's less of a conscious effort and more that she doesn't like to compromise on what makes her feel comfortable

joined Apr 10, 2023

It still feels to me that it's less of a conscious effort and more that she doesn't like to compromise on what makes her feel comfortable

Lol what is this distinction supposed to be? She's conscious of how she best feels presenting herself, is conscious of the pressure to conform, and is consciously making a choice to refuse that pressure. Obviously it's all conscious, she's gone to the effort of getting all those piercings, even a tattoo (something very rare in Japan), and her outfits are clearly well thought out. It's not like she's just laying around in sweats and t shirts. She's not just avoiding stuff she doesn't like, like skirts, but actively pursuing the stuff she does, the stuff that lead to Aya first reading her as an "onii-san".

To reply you must either login or sign up.