Forum › Rainy Emotion discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So, the ending is a bit ambiguous, but did Ana just fall for someone whom she initially mistook for a romantic rival, but who actually had feelings for her all along, while Kyoko has never noticed a darn thing?

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 6:57AM

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

So, the ending is a bit ambiguous, but did Ana just fall for someone whom she initially mistook for a romantic rival, but who actually had feelings for her all along, while Kyoko has never noticed a darn thing?

That's the impression I got, but also agree it's too ambiguous to tell.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

That's the impression I got, but also agree it's too ambiguous to tell.

Too ambiguous. I like open endings but not this wide open.

joined Feb 7, 2013

The ending made me really confused. It would be lovely to know who got together with whom in the end.
Also it's pretty much unusual when manga is translated without any honorifics.

NewtMarshmallow
29216120_985796631584578_7844572378056777434_n
joined Nov 5, 2017

Probably not a good time for me to read this while feeling a bit heartbroken

D40f4d2~01-min
joined Jul 22, 2023

my headcanon is: poly ending

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

I, on the other hand, interpreted that as the shop owner noticed or sensed that something was going on and in her own way wanted to ... help a bit. Who knows.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Also my impression

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

In regards to the end: I think it's supposed to be implied that the shop owner played wingman Coffee Talk style.

Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

Am I the only one who thinks the manager is in the initial steps of building herself a harem?

joined May 3, 2014

ohg, i should had expected 0 romance, since there is no Romance Tag, the girl might as well have her one sided crush on her friend FOREVER and THAT’s ALL THE YURI you get from the story, the coffee shop manager is an nice person so the MC will have to drop the jealousy while she NEVER confesses her feelings for the friend so there is nothing much to the story, just the one sided crush a bit of jealousy and that was all the story was about >.>

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I think it's actually a triangle.
Ana (Sakura) likes Misa, Misa likes Kyoko (Amamiya), and Kyoko likes Ana.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

All in all, while the art is quite nice, and there's a conveyance of emotion, I don't like this much. There's no point in this ambiguity--it's fairly clear that there is some actual state of affairs that all the characters come to be aware of, so why should the audience be the only ones in the dark?

Mini%20new%20shiny%20greninja%20avatar
joined Jul 24, 2021

I really like the fifth page. Up until then, it feels like your run-of-the-mill oneshot, and then bam! the actual plot comes out and whacks you and the protagonist in the face. You can almost hear the record scratch!

And They Were Roommates
E3fwhq4xeagjxjd
joined Apr 17, 2023

wait what? so did the journalist develop feelings for the owner? did she really misunderstand the owner and her friend's relationship and jumped to her own conclusions? It appears so but I'm not entirely sure.
I'm so confused and I can clearly see I'm far from the only one, this definitely needs another chapter to clear up the confusion.

joined Nov 21, 2018

I think I'd like this more if it was the first chapter for something, setting up ambiguous feelings that get explored later. As a one-shot, it just feels so open-ended as to feel incomplete. I know that sometimes that's what the author is going for, but I'm not so sure about it for this one...

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

begging on my hands and knees for a continuation of this

joined Aug 13, 2023

This is really nice... I really liked the ambiguity in this one, which is pretty rare (for me).

At the start of the story, the journalist was really sure of her own feelings and wants in a way that was poisoning her work and social life with jealousy - and by the stopping point, her clarity was completely upended, but the conflict was resolved and the three of them can get along without any envy in the way. I thought that was a really nice touch!

Thanks for the translation..!

P.S.:
I didn't really get the impression that the characters as a group knew anything the audience doesn't, by the end.

The journalist has confused feelings towards both her artist friend and the cafe owner. The exact nature of the artist's feelings toward either of the others weren't made explicit, though she was overjoyed to run into her friend at the cafe again, and asks her to model for her all the time, and ended her message to her with a "~♡"...

We can't see into the cafe owner's head, but she struck me as sweeping people off their feet almost by accident more than anything else, as a result of taking a close interest in her customers as people and as part of the community around her. She mentions trying to assist all customers that come by even beyond serving them at the cafe, displays local crafts as decorations, listens to the local radio... The artist comes to the realization that the cafe owner is a very equal-opportunity attentive person herself, right around here: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/rainy_emotion#22. I don't think she had any romantic intentions for either girl at any point.

last edited at Jan 31, 2024 8:38AM

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

She mostly has skill to seduce OLs

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

All in all, while the art is quite nice, and there's a conveyance of emotion, I don't like this much. There's no point in this ambiguity--it's fairly clear that there is some actual state of affairs that all the characters come to be aware of, so why should the audience be the only ones in the dark?

These particular anthologies (same set as the Avalon ones) tend to be like that. The only rule is to stick to the theme and a number of the authors will aim to evoke the theme in the forefront and have the plot take the backseat. The envy is resolved, and that's what matters for the story. This style of resolving thematic tension while, frustratingly, leaving the particulars out has been common in short story anthologies over the past few years too.

75008_alt5
joined Feb 17, 2019

Remember this

joined Apr 16, 2022

Maybe one day the Dynasty forums will learn that ambiguity and incompleteness have been extremely common themes in Japanese art for millennia.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

I agree...Karuha isn't at her best when she writes about envy, which seems to have been the theme of this anthology. Her KanaMari doujin is one of my favorites, however.

I suspect she's not a person who lives with enough envy to be intimately familiar with the dynamic of it. Every mangaka has their strengths and weaknesses.

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

Thank goodness finally a character who hates coffee. Digressions about that stuff are surprisingly common in yuri and I could never relate to any motives those may or may not hide.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Maybe one day the Dynasty forums will learn that ambiguity and incompleteness have been extremely common themes in Japanese art for millennia.

That doesn't mean they have to like it! lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.