Forum › And Thus I Was Picked Up By My Boss's Daughter discussion

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I liked it, it probably wasn't intentional but Takimiya's story being so underbaked makes it even funnier, that last "fuck you" for her at the end is a very Akashi kind of humour.

I kind of love it. "Just my luck, my coworker has come to be this assertive, desirable, professional lady and she's into other girls...and she decides to move in with this spoiled rich brat."

It's a weird series, and I think is the sort of thing that would work a little better as an anime miniseries because I think it would get the wonky, madcap tone across more. Like, it's a very goofy series but it definitely has some smart moments of earnestness I enjoyed. I feel like I'd have to re-read basically the whole thing to really appreciate it. I still don't totally love her ending up with Kazuha like that, because it feels less like she's living for herself in that moment over clinging to someone else she has good memories with like a security blanket, and I think in that sense feels at-odds with the wider theme of the story.

However, I'm always up for shenanigans in which people pull one over on some classist, misogynist, eugenicist asshole like these guys' patriarch. In that sense, good end.

I23iaj6av56b1
joined Apr 18, 2023

you can't do this to takimiya, at least let her get together with nagashima with kazuha gone, now it's 0% yuri :((((((((

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

It was nice, and to have the "toxic" friend back oh my, poor mc

joined Jul 31, 2022

That was nice. I really liked this story.

And screw anyone who was upset they didn't get together. One is an ADUKT and the other is a CHILD.

A child that is undergoing pretty significant psychological distress and in desperate need of an adult in her life that loves and accepts her.

Honestly, to anyone HOPING to see that shit, cry more.

Uh, I am pretty sure it's realistic to want to see them get together or at least struggle with a mutual attraction in a manga with the tags "yuri" and "age gap". IMO the MC sucked but she did help Kazuha when she needed. It was an ok story made worse by it becoming complete yuribait. The tags need to be changed.

joined May 3, 2014

Sometimes I wonder what people think "a story" is.
No romantic resolution = "nothing happened"? You'll find that a lot of things happened in this story.

It's like when I was reading Komi-san, and everyone and their dog was like "nothing ever happens in this manga" and I was like ... what the heck are you reading a manga about a girl who wants to make 100 friends for if you think her making friends is "nothing happening".

People don't seem to be able to appreciate a story without romance these days.

oh thank god i forgot to ignore the manga tags so that i can concentrate on what exactly? what was so good written about this story that i need to NOT remind myself that the reason i pick it up was because of the TAGS promising me something and give me nothing much ?

last edited at Jan 29, 2024 11:46PM

joined May 3, 2014

And screw anyone who was upset they didn't get together. One is an ADUKT and the other is a CHILD.

A child that is undergoing pretty significant psychological distress and in desperate need of an adult in her life that loves and accepts her.

Uh, I am pretty sure it's realistic to want to see them get together or at least struggle with a mutual attraction in a manga with the tags "yuri" and "age gap". IMO the MC sucked but she did help Kazuha when she needed. It was an ok story made worse by it becoming complete yuribait. The tags need to be changed.

yeah i realy start to hate the whole Yuribait crap, how “yuri” for some reason on SOME authors! they think is about any type of relationship between Women/girls! LIKE BROTHER! no one wanna see Friendship when you throw Yuri tags AND age gap! were THAT is used TO MEAN an age gap in an Romantic/Sexual Relationship!

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

I agree it was very mean of Akashi to have added those tags to the scanlation. She should apologize. In English. So that we'll know she's truly contrite

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

yeah i realy start to hate the whole Yuribait crap, how “yuri” for some reason on SOME authors! they think is about any type of relationship between Women/girls! LIKE BROTHER! no one wanna see Friendship when you throw Yuri tags AND age gap! were THAT is used TO MEAN an age gap in an Romantic/Sexual Relationship!

...That's what Yuri means though? Unlike over here, the definition of Yuri is simply much more broad in Japan, including any kind of strong relationship between girls/women, romantic, platonic or otherwise.
You can't fault authors for using a genre tag for their work as intended in the industry/region they operate in (and similarly ppl over here wo apply the same tags to works based on what the author uses, before it's finished). I understand being disappointed and all but honestly, this sounds like a you problem with how you manage your expectations regarding the genre.

Nothing in this manga was super bait-y in regards to a possible romantic relationship between the two leads, imho. There have been far more egregious examples of that in the past.

29216120_985796631584578_7844572378056777434_n
joined Nov 5, 2017

Idk why you guys are so mad about this manga. I actually enjoy it. There's like tension about finding the truth, but when the truth comes out it went a bit anticlimactic and I never had a closure to it, the same feeling as Kazuha felt when she met her biological dad the second time. I think there's a message in life to it. There some things in life that we can never get what we wanted, that we can't get that closure of the things that we want to expect. Things aren't always going to happen what we expect. Happens to me sometimes. The ending wasn't that bad. 6.5/10

joined Jul 31, 2022

...That's what Yuri means though? Unlike over here, the definition of Yuri is simply much more broad in Japan, including any kind of strong relationship between girls/women, romantic, platonic or otherwise.
You can't fault authors for using a genre tag for their work as intended in the industry/region they operate in (and similarly ppl over here wo apply the same tags to works based on what the author uses, before it's finished). I understand being disappointed and all but honestly, this sounds like a you problem with how you manage your expectations regarding the genre.

Nothing in this manga was super bait-y in regards to a possible romantic relationship between the two leads, imho. There have been far more egregious examples of that in the past.

I mean that's a valid argument. "Intense Friendships" is a subsection in yuri (quite rare on this site). I prefer my yuri to be love. But I guess if I want to bring up tags, I guess there's no romance tag on this series. Hm I need to see how many yuri on here have the romance tag tied to it.

Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Some seriously poor writing.

Even author realized they had to make the ending somewhat ambiguous. Somehow, the lazy attempt to draw the romance back together made it even worse, because so little energy was invested there...

Reading this manga has the same feeling as swimming in a big pit of tar

joined Oct 11, 2019

If it wasn't riding on Still Sick's coattails, I don't think anyone would have paid this any attention, and justifiably so. Akashi seems like they can come up with interesting setups, but struggles in the execution. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I remember thinking Still Sick fell off in the latter third or so too.

I'm actually glad they didn't end up together, but mostly because their relationship felt so vacuous. I actually had to go back and reread it to be sure I wasn't judging too harshly based on the back half, but there's just no spark whatsoever, romantic or platonic. I found myself relating far more to the characters observing their relationship from the outside, because even though I was privy to details of the relationship they weren't, it still felt creepy/weird/awkward/cringey for this adult to be hanging around with a child and inserting herself into her family life out of nowhere. The narrative just kinda mushed them together, and then all of a sudden they're codependent. That isn't to say that's inherently a bad plot device, sometimes people form unhealthy attachments with relative strangers and it could make for an interesting story to see that play out for better or worse, especially with the age difference. But instead they're both just generically decent, uninteresting people, and their problems all work out because they're so decent and uninteresting. Keep in mind, the first chapter of this story portrayed both of them as Actively Suicidal, and then it's either forgotten or handwaved away by the next chapter. And what a dumb, ultimately meaningless twist chapter 2 turned out to be - but I have to stop, this story really doesn't deserve any more of my time.

I maintain that a good editor could fix a lot of these issues, but the same could be said for most authors. In the end, it's a rare thing to be a good artist and a rare thing to be a good author. To be both is approaching the divine, especially on a deadline.

Thank you SAD, even if I found the story itself disappointing, your work is always impeccable

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 2:58AM

joined Feb 24, 2023

Yeah I’m still not really convinced this was ever Yuri, I get more found family vibes here

joined Jun 12, 2015

Not Yuri

joined May 3, 2014

soooooooo, were in hell is the distinction??? for the most part 85%(the other 15% was PURE yuribait) of yuri or girls love or whatever tags some website used was literaly an Lesbian story of sorts! not necessary an mutual one but i’m 100% sure i read on EVEN this website soo little Yuri were the definition of the genre is just god damn friendship

I mean, does any one know how much % of the Yuri or equivalent of the tag it is regarded as Friendship in the manga industry?

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 3:15PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Screw you, gambling drunk mom! :D

And after everyone cried it would not be yuri when Kazuha decided to study abroad, the last chapter came with her staying anyway and the two being together again. So much for the fears of those poor souls of little faith...

joined May 3, 2014

Not Yuri

TRUE! can we get that tag on this story?

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Not Yuri

TRUE! can we get that tag on this story?

This is a friendly reminder that you're thinking of the romance tag and not the yuri tag. Works which fit the genre will have the yuri tag and works with romantic content will have the romance tag. Always be sure to mind the tags to avoid disappointment

All complaints about what constitutes yuri can be forwarded to Comic Yuri Hime for consideration

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 5:12PM

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Medetashi, medetashi
Also she avoid date a non adult xd

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Not yuri is for men engaging in seemingly yuri activities.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

Justice for Takamiya

joined Feb 20, 2023

This sadly feels like it got canceled early. Luke there was room for a whole arc where Kazuha grew up after studying abroad. She was probably still too young to steer this into full romance, but the subtext is strong. I'm glad the issue with her dad was satisfyingly resolved at least.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

why's everyone so mad

joined May 29, 2021

why's everyone so mad

Yuribait.

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Why does this have a yuri tag?
This is shoujou ai at most.

To reply you must either login or sign up.