Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So the most minor of points: the "hates bell peppers" trope. I'm personally not a huge fan of green bell peppers (I like red or yellow ones much better), but they're in lots of dishes that I like, and so I eat them.

Is this an actual Japanese cultural thing about bell peppers specifically, or just a conventional narrative stand-in/shorthand for "food little kids and childish adults won't eat," like broccoli or asparagus in the US?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I think Asako's mind did need several months since Miyako's confession to come to terms with her new situation. A lot of internal change is unconscious and has to happen at its own pace over time, though a sympathetic outside perspective like Suda's is often helpful in making all the pieces finally fall into place on a conscious level. Also, I think that Suda's question of how Asako's feelings for Miyako differ from all of her previous crushes was much more important than her eventual comparison of Miyako to Asako's brother, despite the chapter's dramatic emphasis on the latter. Asako has pigeonholed herself into the worrywart/caretaker role in her romantic relationships and so had trouble recognizing Miyako as a potential romantic partner because Miyako treated her as a whole person, rather than just that one caretaker role. Suda's question then helped her realize that not only is this difference a counter-indication for her romantic compatibility with Miyako, it's actually way better for her than any romantic relationship she has had so far.

It is fun to find out that Asako's family is just in the know about her sexuality and looks to be completely supportive, she really does seem to be pretty much fully out to people too considering that Hato the mangaka she's an editor for also just knows she's gay.

I suspect Asako's family is much more chill about her sexuality since their firstborn son is doing well in a traditional straight marriage.

that page with their hands... how can that be allowed!! o////o

I agree that it should have been censored.

last edited at Feb 6, 2023 10:31AM

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

What a chapter this was (ch17)!

joined Jan 14, 2020

Firstly, I acknowledge and even appreciate the misdirection in the first couple of pages, but also you do not fucking do this to a person.

??? What misdirection?

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Dang, this is the second time this manga tricked me into thinking it'd be a slower burn, only to be like "SIKE! IT'S FULL SPEED AHEAD", lol. I'm looking forward to seeing what Asako's parents are like. Hopefully they're as fun as her sister-in-law was.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

rainbow8 posted:

Firstly, I acknowledge and even appreciate the misdirection in the first couple of pages, but also you do not fucking do this to a person.

??? What misdirection?

Misdirection: an ex texting Asako instead of her sister in law.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

rainbow8 posted:

??? What misdirection?

It's been so long since Asako's most recent traumatic ex was mentioned as anything except the historical past that I myself never gave it a thought, certainly not in the time it took to turn the page and see who was actually texting her.

In fact, Asako's been shown as being traumatized by her whole string of exes, not by any particular one, so it's hard for me to see an unexpected "It's been a while" text as some kind of underhanded "misdirection" by the author.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

rainbow8 posted:

I think you mis read that text. It's from Asako's Sister in Law, so there's no misdirection there?

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Waaaaaa we made it!!

joined Sep 5, 2019

Waaaaaa we made it!!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

rainbow8 posted:

??? What misdirection?

It's been so long since Asako's most recent traumatic ex was mentioned as anything except the historical past that I myself never gave it a thought, certainly not in the time it took to turn the page and see who was actually texting her.

In fact, Asako's been shown as being traumatized by her whole string of exes, not by any particular one, so it's hard for me to see an unexpected "It's been a while" text as some kind of underhanded "misdirection" by the author.

I do admit that the thought crossed my mind when I saw a so far unknown name pop up there, but that's probably more due to remembering the discussion here on Dynasty than anything in the series itself. And as we were quickly shown, I was right about no ex showing up anymore all along.

Tumblr_24802e33b3a7c7207350bfcbe1812e97_fa8a6f08_128
joined May 26, 2022

So the most minor of points: the "hates bell peppers" trope. I'm personally not a huge fan of green bell peppers (I like red or yellow ones much better), but they're in lots of dishes that I like, and so I eat them.

Is this an actual Japanese cultural thing about bell peppers specifically, or just a conventional narrative stand-in/shorthand for "food little kids and childish adults won't eat," like broccoli or asparagus in the US?

Yeah, it's pretty much treated exactly like broccoli is in the US. It's the typical food that kids hate to eat.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

rainbow8 posted:

??? What misdirection?

I do admit that the thought crossed my mind when I saw a so far unknown name pop up there, but that's probably more due to remembering the discussion here on Dynasty than anything in the series itself. And as we were quickly shown, I was right about no ex showing up anymore all along.

I've seen various forms of this scenario play out beat by beat in various other stories, so that's where my mind went.
I do think it was intentional, though. In any other story, this would've been a setup for something, but here it's benignly shrugged like many other potential sources of conflict, maybe that's the point? Either case definitely more of a silly "haha got'em" than an elaborate ruse to pull the rug under the readers' feet devised by the author and their accomplices.

joined Sep 5, 2019

Oh no, you better watch out Miyako, she might fall in love with your disguised self. LOL

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Dang, I was hoping for a parents visit, but I'll definitely take a cute, fluffy date chapter any day. Also, the first couple pages definitely threw me off; it took me a bit to realize it was the landlady in disguise.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Absolutely fucking precious!!
But also, I kinda am worried about the fact that the manga will eventually have to touch on the topic of a former idol being in a same-sex relationship, and how this will inevitably bring in some Aaaaaangst

I don’t want that. So the possibility will keep me awake at night. Specially after the Vol.1 afterword where the author said it was initially supposed to be a relaxed series but further down the line to serialisation it lost it. We can’t expect the plot to not move and demand 15 chapters of wholesomeness in a row.

Bingbong
joined Mar 1, 2022

these two are so sweet.. i know the plot might kick their ass a little later on but they'll get through it together ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

The cliffhanger got me a bit confused, is there a problem with Miyako hanging out with the girls from elm. Is there a problem with myako being in touch with her former group

joined May 23, 2022

Thanks so much for translating!!! They both are so damn cute

joined May 10, 2021

My words that was waaayyy too wholesome for my heart. And I love it!
Now, the ominous ending got me a bit worried though..

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

That deep lore dump in the translator notes was kind of like reading the wiki after finishing a fantasy book.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Making the strongest bond. ^_^

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

That deep lore dump in the translator notes was kind of like reading the wiki after finishing a fantasy book.

I bothered this time, but if people want to stay ignorant (or do it themselves) it'll save me the trouble.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

I bothered this time, but if people want to stay ignorant (or do it themselves) it'll save me the trouble.

I feel like their comment was an approving/good-natured one. At least to me, I find a lot of enjoyment in wiki-hunting nuances from movies/games I've watched. I also appreciate you doing this regardless, as it was an interesting read so thanks.

In any case, a lovely and adorable chapter. I am not sure what needed to be kept a secret or why at the end there, and I'm intrigued to find out what the "ominous silhouette" was. But truth be told, the thing that caught my eye most was "this manhole is lovely" because that is not a sentence I ever expected anyone to ever say. Like, maybe in a wretched doujin or something. Not literally and unironically.

last edited at Mar 18, 2023 7:43AM

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

I quite liked it, gives me ideas of where to go in JP if I ever visit. If you don't do it in future, though, that's totally cool! It was just really sweet to have extra context to their date.

This chapter was so adorable but I completely forgot that they're actually going out now... so it was double sweet.

To reply you must either login or sign up.