Forum › Tiger & Hummingbird discussion

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

And yeah usually another employee/manager helps you out at first when you're getting started and gets you a look. I still have some of my stuff from retail from that

joined Jun 6, 2020

God. Even the FOLDING. I remember that shit lmao

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... well this suddenly got boring, I don't care about any of this clothing stuff but it increasingly seems this is the main focus of this manga

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Oh hey, an AdaShima reference in the tl notes le bait

last edited at Jan 8, 2023 12:29PM

joined Nov 21, 2022

I'm definitely in the cheap and practical camp rather than "trendy," whatever that is. The only reason why I haven any shirts with collars on them is because of work.

joined Nov 21, 2022

... well this suddenly got boring, I don't care about any of this clothing stuff but it increasingly seems this is the main focus of this manga

Yeah, I'm getting there.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

the subtext tag is mocking us right now

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... and I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think we even saw subtext yet :P

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

This has started to leave a bad taste in my mouth...
It feels as though the author is trying to convince us that brand clothing isn't actually overpriced, but simply that much higher quality. I mean sure, they would be of higher quality, but would I still call it a scum? Yes, I probably would. Yet, our protagonist tries one pair of jeans and is so blown away that the price immediately seems reasonable. And that was on the 2nd episode; I thought I'd look past it at the time, but I feel like we're only getting more and more of these moments as the manga progresses.

Even though it was the contrast between the delinquent and the fancy environment that I found to be entertaining when I started this, it increasingly seems as though the protagonist is being presented as someone who needs to be "reformed" to properly appreciate "real", or "superior" fashion. They always talk about how she should see clothing as a way to express herself, yet her liking a jacket that reads "tiger spirit" or with a huge tiger on the back is ridiculous?

I don't know if the author wanted to show some general appreciation towards fashion and different styles, but what I'm getting here is fashion elitism.

joined Jun 6, 2020

I mean it's still early.

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

What I like about this one is the "working class, unite" with all the "protect our store's integrity" bullshit

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

... and I'm going to be honest with you, I don't think we even saw subtext yet :P

There isn't any so far.

BaglReadsTheYuri
Ezgif.com-gif-maker
joined Sep 14, 2022

Who the fuck gives an overpriced polo shirt as a present?
This whole thing just reads as a justification for shitty store practices and overpriced brand clothes. Especially the dumbass who trades his food money for stupidly overpriced clothes and then fucks up in the literal dumbest way possible.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

can't tell if slow burn, but its true.... where is the subtext lol

i've never worked textile retail so i can't speak for this industry, but i think it's important to note that the person giving professional opinion to the author/artist comes from a completely different side of the industry than an actual retail worker so i can understand why the lens are so ..... glossy and vibrant and not jaded and exhausted hahaha

what's the media equivalent of aggretsuko in retail work lol

joined Nov 21, 2022

Yeah, starting to seem like pro-luxury brand propaganda.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Subtext would already be something real that you can at least infer from the context. Right now it's just two bitchy sales girls arguing. Not unheard of that turning into love, but it actually would have to happen first.

Friends and rivals don't automatically turn into fuck buddies, even Yuri binoculars don't have such ability. :)

last edited at May 20, 2023 11:52AM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Friends and rivals don't automatically turn into fuck buddies, even Yuri binoculars don't have such ability. :)

just gotta get better binoculars

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Stopped liking subtext around 16-17 so i'm a bit old for this, but even then, there's no subtext at all. I'm dropping this ~

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

It's kind of a shame that I genuinely like the main girls' dynamic so much, but I'm just getting bored to tears reading this because it's very pointedly not the main focus. That plus the glamorization of retail and luxury fashion just kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth. First couple chapters seemed to be setting up much more of an evenhanded culture clash, but yeah, think I'm gonna have to drop this here. Wasted potential. :/

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

WELL, OKAY, SO take that scene where they make solid eye contact and genuinely smile at eachother! That can be subtext for something, right??? Starving here

joined Aug 21, 2017

Drip the manga

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I want to know what they put on her

joined Mar 26, 2021

I want to know what they put on her

Judging by her reaction... A miniskirt, maybe?

Lmao at the wallpaper, now that's the subtext I want to see.

Him
joined Feb 21, 2013

okay but what was the wallpaper

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Small typo on chapter 8 page 41 panel 3
jog -> job

To reply you must either login or sign up.