Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... I guess it was about time to flesh out the side characters a bit more, considering they introduced 3 of them right off the bat and barely featured the two of them until now. The obviously fake cliffhanger is a bit silly though :P

joined Jan 13, 2021

This story's really grown on me? It was one of those series I'd been keeping up with on autopilot amid other stuff, but this most recent chapter really crystallized its appeal, that special, subtle something which always reels me back in. Fundamentally, this is an incredibly earnest romance, a wondrously clear and heartfelt ode to first loves that sings of infatuation's gifts to moments, lending feathers to feelings and gilding memories in rose, kindling the mundane and banal as fuel for pounding hearts, kneading daydreams into sugary fantasy. Minami's love is so powerfully portrayed, so potent and fiery in its quicksilver flashes and pensive stirrings, so certain in yearning as to leapfrog entirely those sloughy stretches of angst and wish itself indeed into a storm, dispelling all clouds that drape a failed outing or mixed message to reveal once more those silver starmaps that twinkle the trajectory of her hopes. It's rich enough to lend layers, textures and depth to all it touches, a touch-starved Midas tracing her fingertips across a tale with a fairly unremarkable premise and standard building-blocks and leaving it a city of gold, every chapter more charming than the last, eminently capable of pulling readers all bundled in wintry cynicism back into a cherry-pop world.

What really helped this series make the jump in my mind from one I read out of habit to one I'm actively looking forward to is the sheer infectiousness of its enthusiasm to exist, its gamboling, rollicking exuberance in being brightly itself. You see it bursting in Minami's gosh-golly-gee-I'm-so-darn-gaaaaaay non-sequiturs, in the way Tatsumi cuts electrifying promos for local lesbians as proof of cosmic hope and justice, and in the way the girls just gush over how gosh-darn cool Nitori is. It's been a while since I've encountered a story that just loves girls so much- not just girls who're dating or girls with a certain style, but everything about girls everywhere and all at once, gay-as-in-rapture with that almost religious vision of ascending in choral fanfare into your paramour's arms, sighing-singing-praying-gaying class S if all the money that went into building ye olde all-girls school was used instead to build (more) girls. It's adorable.

Yeah, you've got the boatload of tropes, that Takeshi's Castle of silly old moats and ramparts a girl's gotta scale if she wants to be a contender, but the essential zest radiating from every page of this series makes every single one of those hackneyed old tactics work like its the first time anyone's ever belted 'em out. An ambiguously romantic line that our lead doesn't quite know how to process and will haunt her for chapters to come? Oh, rats! A confession that fails to go through because of some external disturbance? A bigger AUGH than Charlie ever Brown'd! A deceptive, unprecedented interest in someone else? Slender Aphrodite, cut me a break! I am slapping my knees and hollering my cheers like a middle-aged parent at their daughter's first baseball game. I want my disaster gay daughter to go out there and play her heart out and come back home all muddy and tired with the biggest ol' gap-toothed grin she can muster at the end of an absolute banger of a match. Fight on, Minami! Aim for the stars!

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 7:32AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, another of those idiot couples where their friends can clearly see it's mutual. :D

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Cheap emotion pulling from the author here leaves a horrible after-taste in my mouth. At the start, I was enjoying this alongside 'I Was Rejected In A Dream?!', then the red flags happened. The story seems to me like it's kicking its foot into a brick wall for no reason, against it's own initial tones for no reason.

Pretty sure it's a fake out. Tatsumi is friends with Minami and Yuzu doesn't really talk to her. I'm sure she meant it in a "oh I'm interested in Tatsumi because I don't really know her" kind of way, since it seems like the story is setting up for a friend group thing after this chapter.

come on, have some hopium

joined Aug 29, 2019

Knowing her she probably meant that she just finds her interesting. This feels like a bunch of unnecessary conflict

I wouldn't worry about it being "a bunch" of conflict. It'll likely last about two more pages until Yuzu clarifies that she finds her an interesting person, not that she's romantically interested in her. Maybe it'll be the centerpiece of the whole next chapter, but I bet it's not gonna be that.

I wonder if Yuzu maybe just doesn't have any romantic inclinations whatsoever, as in just plain not interested in romance.
She also looked very much not jealous when Minami and Kosame got friendly on the train, despite that being perfect fodder for showing a flash of jealousy from a party that's actually in love but doesn't realize it.

I mean, the smooth thing to do for this chapter would have been for Minami to say "Well I guess you'll have to marry me if you want to eat my food every day" when Yuzu complimented her cooking, but useless lesbians don't generally get to do smooth things, otherwise they wouldn't be so useless now, would they?

last edited at Sep 28, 2022 9:02AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I mean, the smooth thing to do for this chapter would have been for Minami to say "Well I guess you'll have to marry me if you want to eat my food every day" when Yuzu complimented her cooking, but useless lesbians don't generally get to do smooth things, otherwise they wouldn't be so useless now, would they?

Not intentionally, anyway.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Do not worry, the Council of Gay is here to help you with your Gay

I adore this and want this as a concept in any and every series henceforth. Big fan of this chapter's convening of the Council of Gay.

I'm definitely of the opinion that Yuzu simply means something along the lines of knowing Hinori the least. It's definitely not romantic in essence, either case. Part of me agrees about this being a cheap shot/easy low hanging fruit, but I'm not that bitter about it

Two things that caught my eye in particular in this chapter:

Page 16 had a singular page focused on Tsubasa. A scrutinizing look, perhaps has some jealousy behind it? Doubtful, really, but maybe it will come into play at some point. There was a similarly "ominous" panel focusing on Hinori earlier on that hasn't gone anywhere as of yet, so maybe it's just a filler.

Minami is constantly leaking big horny energy and I am a big fan of that. I'm really hoping that the horny energy gets its payoff at some point. Or really that the series just touches (heh) more on physical intimacy, I feel that it'll be very fitting.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Ah I love when the friends are just us inside the manga itself...

And the ending.. Yuzu has proven to be an idiot through all of this so we all know she's 100% not meaning in the way she said Tatsumi. Also I have no idea how Minami is going to keep all of that uh lust? She has for Yuzu bottled up every little thing that girl does makes her almost explode haha. Very cute chapter glad the friends are all supportive and want to help.

I also noticed the side glance of Tsubasa gave on page 16 it wouldn't have mattered I don't think but showing her alone and giving it def means something is up. However since it's not the first time they've done it I could just see it being filler and them just noticing how Mianmi acts around Yuzu as well. I guess only time will tell with that one.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Going on dates, walking under the umbrella, making supper from scratch...you're right, completely platonic.

joined Feb 1, 2021

A bigger AUGH than Charlie ever Brown'd!

I don't always read these analysis posts but this is an amazing turn of phrase

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Apart from the Oosawa, who somehow manages to be smooth af whilst still being utterly useless.

joined Apr 16, 2022

A bigger AUGH than Charlie ever Brown'd!

I don't always read these analysis posts but this is an amazing turn of phrase

I would never dream of skipping a Temp post, best stuff on the forums by far

joined Jul 21, 2020

I need a characters chart with the relationships clearly mapped. Sorry I'm lazy. T_T

Thumbnail_5a23d300cc738989a894c6273ef293a6
joined Jul 8, 2017

Yuzu probably said she's interested in Tatsumi because she feels Minami and Tatsumi are getting close(r) in the last few chapters no? And she wants to know more about Tatsumi. Or am I inhaling hopium?

I think I'm right only because of the vibe we got upto this point.

Either way I'm enjoying this one a lot :)

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Yuzu probably said she's interested in Tatsumi because she feels Minami and Tatsumi are getting close(r) in the last few chapters no? And she wants to know more about Tatsumi. Or am I inhaling hopium?

I think I'm right only because of the vibe we got upto this point.

Either way I'm enjoying this one a lot :)

yeah this dummy just wants to be friends with tatsumi and didn't understand MC question

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I have a real soft spot for romances like this where the leads are not only in heat for each other, but also really LIKE each other.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

People take this too seriously. Isn't the gimmick of this story (and comedic part) basically the less direct the MC is the further away from the goal she gets? This'll end with either a "Yuzu knew all along" or she'll just tell Yuzu directly without any BS attached and the girl will accept her just like that.

That being said, can we get a side-story about Tsubasa and Kosame (The "military" girl and the girl with a weak heart)? Because that does sound pretty sweet. Princess and her knight.

joined Sep 30, 2022

Hello lgbt members, leader of the gay council here Amy Schumer-San and I’m here to drop a fat homosexual analysis on this cliffhanger.

Just wanted to say I had anxiety over this since the signs were there since chapter uno. Yuzu giving tatsumi a gummy, tatsumi friendly flirting with her saying if she worked her way into yuzu’s heart, yuzu blushing like crazy in reaction and staying quiet the rest of the time. My god, whyyyy author whyyyy.

Even in chapter 4, the author made it ambiguous whether yuzu was jealous over tatsumi or minami.

Maybe there was an unspoken event that happened between yuzu and tatsumi? Tatsumi seems like a strong and super independent girl that takes care of her family and friends, can definitely see why yuzu could possibly fall for her if she saw that.

I definitely think tatsumi has a thing for minami though. The signs are small and super detailed but o figured out that every little thing in a page means something. Like the way the protagonists rips ass can mean he’s in love with someone else or the worlds gonna end.

Anyway, Minami and yuzu are probably going to end up together but it’d be something (not a good something) if this goes a whole other way. We might even have to see minami accept that loving someone with everything she has means nothing in the face of unreciprocated feelings.

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202022-06-19%20a%20la(s)%2023.19.48
joined Dec 21, 2016

the end caught me off guard so much i had to laugh

joined Apr 14, 2022

Anyway, Minami and yuzu are probably going to end up together but it’d be something (not a good something) if this goes a whole other way. We might even have to see minami accept that loving someone with everything she has means nothing in the face of unreciprocated feelings.

A manga about the childhood friend always losing, from the perspective of the childhood friend... oof. You have a cruel, sadistic mind.

joined Sep 23, 2022

Wow amazing,waiting for the next chapter❤

joined Apr 16, 2022

A manga about the childhood friend always losing, from the perspective of the childhood friend... oof. You have a cruel, sadistic mind.

"The percentage of childhood friends who end up marrying is only like, one percent..."

Little did we know this was actually very brutal foreshadowing

Yeah
joined Apr 14, 2021

its full of misunderstanding watafak

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Her negativity level is... Is

IS OVER 9000!!!!

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

It's not good that my first thought after this latest end of chapter cliffhanger was "which one of these was Kosame again?" :P I'm guessing the one not named in the chapter explicitly but good god.

To reply you must either login or sign up.