Forum › Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Heh, it would certainly be interesting to see Rio, as ignorant as she is of the exact circumstances of their marriage, happily talk to Kurumi about how glad she is that Ruriko finally got to marry her after pining all those years. :D

Screenshot%202024-04-26%20233149
joined Jan 17, 2021

Soooo... they only have two rooms. Two has to share rooms. Is this the part where we start the fire on this slow burning romance?

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Activate third wheel mode. Dial up the aangst two degrees. Increase difficulty on suspension of disbelief...got it. In the pipe, five by five.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

I've often thought that one of the big advantages to adoption (depending on timing) was being able to skip the diaper phase. But with the vibes Rio gives off, it seems like she'll have them dealing with plenty of her shit.

joined Apr 14, 2022

Soooo... they only have two rooms. Two has to share rooms. Is this the part where we start the fire on this slow burning romance?

Normal people brain: Of course the married couple would sleep together

Mangaka brain: Of course Rio will sleep with Ruriko, how else would I farm soapy melodrama out of this?

last edited at Sep 8, 2022 10:29AM

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

Mangaka brain: Of course Rio will sleep with Ruriko, how else would I farm soapy melodrama out of this?

Besidessssss, why go logical when you can not only give some tiny drama, but also skyrocket progression! At this rate the useless lesbians will realize in like a few days! Truly the power of Rio!!

Though I would also love to see Rio being that very wack housemate some people have (in movies at least)

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Besidessssss, why go logical when you can not only give some tiny drama, but also skyrocket progression! At this rate the useless lesbians will realize in like a few days! Truly the power of Rio!!

Though I would also love to see Rio being that very wack housemate some people have (in movies at least)

I shared an apartment with plenty of people I didn't know all that well in my college days. It's really not as fun as it's cranked up to be :P

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

And here we have the moment this series turns meh for me. Well, it still "depends" but I'll play the glass half-empty card. So far, this series was a very smooth, albeit visible progression between the two. The progress itself was based on relatable things and they solved it somehow by themselves (with some input from family or friends obviously).

I don't know, it just felt refreshing to have a series with a bit of more smooth sailing towards the progress, but not without some dark clouds here and there. I'd hate to drop this after so long just because of that. Or have to skip bigger chunks of it just to avoid rolling my eyes out of their sockets.

Unless it won't be permanent (or even semi-permanent) or something actually happened to Rio and we'll get a side character progression. Even if I frankly don't care much for her.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't really understand what people are so upset about. Rio hasn't even been hinted at being into Ruriko, so I don't see a love triangle on the horizon, and I also don't think it's that unnatural for the lesbian character to be friends with another (implied) lesbian who was disowned by her parents and thus has nowhere to go when she's out of work.

I imagine the reason Rio was created is the same reason most new characters are: as a manga gets longer, the easiest way to add variety and new sorts of character interactions is to introduce a new person. This can be done poorly, but so far at least I think Rio has been written well; I particularly like the contrast between her upbeat, peppy attitude and the extent to which her actual life is really miserable.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

+1 annoying character get.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I recall that Ruriko and Kurumi have already shared rooms while their air conditioner is broken. I'm not entirely sure if it's still broken, although the "fwoosh" sound effect near the end of Chapter 20 implies that it's fixed.

It seems as though Ruriko cares for Rio more than I expected, as shown by her uncomfortable reaction when Kurumi brings up Rio's family. It's possible that while Rio is lazy and not above mooching off her friends, her situation may be more dire than she lets on, and possibly not entirely her fault.

joined Jun 11, 2016

YES ADOPT THE FLUFFY AIRHEAD!!!!

Tbh I'm a bit shocked at how many people don't like Rio and this situation. She seems like a fun character who will undoubtedly speed up the progress of these two, what's not to like?

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

It seems as though Ruriko cares for Rio more than I expected...

Also, Ruriko was always a huge softie, so this development definitely makes sense.

I'm looking forward to seeing where things go. The message from Rio at least had some sense of urgency to it, so while I'm expecting some sort of a red herring, it might not be. Besides, simply her existence has already accelerated the moving of the gears on Kurumi's side, which is great to see. The hug was adorable.

This is why I'm also not fully agreeing with some of the comments that mention how things developed "smoothly" or "naturally" till now. I mean, at least I don't feel that these developments are either manufactured/contrived or particularly bumpy. There was a significant part of Ruriko's life that was fully separate from Kurumi (and vice versa, obviously), it was bound to come into play at some point.

Heh, it would certainly be interesting to see Rio, as ignorant as she is of the exact circumstances of their marriage, happily talk to Kurumi about how glad she is that Ruriko finally got to marry her after pining all those years. :D

Also this. I need this. Need.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

All I want to say is that Ruriko's excited armflaps are the best thing.

joined Sep 11, 2019

Rio better make these two dorks go even further beyond so we can actually get some REAL MEAT

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I don't really understand what people are so upset about. Rio hasn't even been hinted at being into Ruriko, so I don't see a love triangle on the horizon,

No one said anything about a love triangle. It's that she's annoying and guaranteed to horn in on time with Ruriko and Kurumi. Like they were literally just planning their next ~date~ "bonding day" and now this.

I think Rio has been written well; I particularly like the contrast between her upbeat, peppy attitude and the extent to which her actual life is really miserable.

Time will tell, but KuruRuri finally felt like they were getting close to something important and I can only feel like this is going to be a setback. It's hard not to resent that.

Tbh I'm a bit shocked at how many people don't like Rio and this situation. She seems like a fun character who will undoubtedly speed up the progress of these two, what's not to like?

So far, she's been shown (directly or indirectly) to be loud, immature, lazy, and inconsiderate. It's not hard to infer she'll be an even worse houseguest than she was a restaurant random encounter.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

YES ADOPT THE FLUFFY AIRHEAD!!!!

That she's an annoying pushy self-centred useless brat?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

You know, I believe in helping out friends when they need you. But this girl has made a decision to be useless and dependent. She only needs help because she has explicitly chosen not to do anything that would make her not need help.

I have no problem with laziness, I'm lazy myself--if I could live comfortably without either working or IMPOSING ON OTHER PEOPLE, I would. But it's unethical to say, I'm going to do nothing, and sponge off my "friends" hard work. So like, make them work harder to support me. That's not a friend, that's a sponge. An ethical lazy person understands that everyone has the same right to laziness; if I don't like work, it's wrong to impose extra work on others. This kid wants not only to sponge off them, she wants to be high-maintenance while she does so. To hell with her.

joined Nov 22, 2021

Uh oh, taking in a stray.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Well I was genuinely caught off guard on the last page, didn't see that coming. I guess that's interesting.

... people disliking Rio so much also surprised me a little, Fuuka in Doughnuts was way more annoying to me and I felt like I was the only one that hated the character :P I guess different things strike a different nerve

joined Jan 14, 2020

How does Rio afford her travels?

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't really understand what people are so upset about. Rio hasn't even been hinted at being into Ruriko, so I don't see a love triangle on the horizon,

No one said anything about a love triangle. It's that she's annoying and guaranteed to horn in on time with Ruriko and Kurumi. Like they were literally just planning their next ~date~ "bonding day" and now this.

The mangaka can choose which scenes to depict. If she wants to draw more Kurumi/Ruriko bonding moments, she's still perfectly capable of doing so. If you just don't like Rio because you find her annoying, that's fair enough, though I suspect it's because you're adopting Kurumi's perspective too uncritically.

But this girl has made a decision to be useless and dependent. She only needs help because she has explicitly chosen not to do anything that would make her not need help.

??? She's just unemployed? There's plenty of legitimate reasons someone might be unemployed. This is pretty excessively harsh on a girl we still know very little about.

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

oh boy, this can either go very very well or very very annoying

joined Apr 14, 2022

??? She's just unemployed? There's plenty of legitimate reasons someone might be unemployed. This is pretty excessively harsh on a girl we still know very little about.

She seems to have been unemployed for multiple years, though, and I think the more telling thing is that she was seemingly ungrateful and didn't bother doing chores even when living at Ruriko's place for free. Then she meets Ruriko again and literally the first thing she does is ask to freeload some more, even though Ruriko is now married. That is... not a good look, to be frank.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Ruriko demonstrating the old adage,
a friend in need is a friend indeed.

To reply you must either login or sign up.