Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

The first chapters established two well fleshed-out, attractive, adorkable female characters with delightful amorous chemistry engaged in a comedy of romantic errors that we all hoped would result in a yuri love relationship. Now we find it's never going to happen: they will just be buddies who share a hobby. It just takes all the excitement out of the game.

....Wait is this a thing???? Oh no. ):

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Lizstar posted:

The first chapters established two well fleshed-out, attractive, adorkable female characters with delightful amorous chemistry engaged in a comedy of romantic errors that we all hoped would result in a yuri love relationship. Now we find it's never going to happen: they will just be buddies who share a hobby. It just takes all the excitement out of the game.

Not really? It's just speculation. We have running bets on the Discord and I'm happy to report yuri end is in the lead.

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 11:56PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

No, it's not, people are misunderstanding a single line of an interview. I will be legitimately shocked if this doesn't end in romance.

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

yall complain too much, just read it for what it is

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Because there was a reference to Red Hot Chili Peppers in this chapter, this song immediately comes to mind.

I don't ever wanna feel
Like I did that day
Take me to the place I love
Take me all the way

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

anyone else getting serious psychological horror vibes coming off chapters 18 and 19? like... you felt that right??

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 1:54AM

Hello
joined Feb 7, 2013

Damn why are there so many people losing their shit?? The art is still stunning, the misunderstanding has been realised by Aya and we are heading in the direction of both parties knowing the other knows and based on the other works of the artist its pretty obviously still yuri...
People legit arguing over semantics in a 4 page chapter release schedule like how much clarification can the artist possible give in 4 pages. Besides that we are actually reading a translation of another language, go figure, so we will never fully get the subtext without some sort of detailed translation document outlining what each word could possibly mean and it doesnt take a genius to realise thats not feasible.
If yall wanted a super detailed love story maybe reading something with 4 pages out a week was poor judgement on your part.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

anyone else getting serious psychological horror vibes coming off chapters 18 and 19? like... you felt that right??

don't worry, it's just existential dread due to her crush being a girl instead of a guy this whole time :)

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

At the very least, we know Mitsuki likes her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not in the least.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

what are you talking about?

joined Jan 3, 2020

Yeah, a little, but my recent reading has consisted of: Saviour, Kill Me Now, I'm More Dangerous Than You, and Fatal Possession.

Basically, not everything is a ridiculously fucked up manhua plot.

joined Aug 29, 2019

don't worry, it's just existential dread due to her crush being a girl instead of a guy this whole time :)

The Horror!

Cute chapter, seems like a lot is happening (or maybe not happening) beyond what we're shown.

Inb4 confession in chapter 20.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

And in five years, they will become ROOMMATES!

OMG! they're going to become ROOMMATES!

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 12:35PM

joined Oct 5, 2016

Yuri can be defined as anything from "a specific genre of fluffy schoolgirl romance / romantic friendship" to "anything about queer ladies", and nobody agrees on the definition, including yuri writers. Especially in Japan, western readers are more content to just wave at everything and call it yuri.

Point being, just cuz someone says it's not yuri doesn't mean it ain't gay.

joined Dec 4, 2017

Not sure how to explain it. It’s just the vibes I’m getting? “Slight” probably would have been a better word to use rather than “serious” but I feel like editing my comment now would be disingenuous. So the chapters gave me slight psychological horror vibes. I’m Not saying that is the direction the story is going in at all but there is definitely something interesting happening with the tone of these two chapters. From my perspective at least.

Yeah. And also aside from gender, the realization that her crush is the person that sits next to her in class. So she probably feels a bit violated and even betrayed by mitsuki’s blatant disregard for her feelings. But we as the reader can’t blame mitsuki in the same way aya does because we see that her actions come from a place of awkwardness and not from a place of malice. So basically they have to talk about it and clear up this misunderstanding. But the author did a really nice job setting the tone for these chapters in regards to ayas feelings. That probably explains the vibes I’m getting.

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 1:46PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Not sure how to explain it. It’s just the vibes I’m getting? “Slight” probably would have been a better word to use rather than “serious” but I feel like editing my comment now would be disingenuous. So the chapters gave me slight psychological horror vibes. I’m Not saying that is the direction the story is going in at all but there is definitely something interesting happening with the tone of these two chapters. From my perspective at least.

I wouldn't say it's horror per se, but these two chapters explore similar concepts in a similar style to psychological horror. Specifically, both are very much focused on the extreme cognitive dissonance that Aya has experienced upon realizing that Mitsuki and her crush are the same person. I am not a fan of horror, but from what I know about the aforementioned subgenre, it often explores the same kind of dissonances, albeit exaggerating and embellishing them with fantastical elements. Also, the fact that we are only given glimpses of what is going on in Aya's head at the moment may be further enhancing the feeling of suspense that you are picking up on.

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 1:45PM

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i don't know what ya'll talking about, this def gay yo
AND IM LIVING FOR IT

joined Dec 4, 2017

I wouldn't say it's horror per se, but these two chapters explore similar concepts in a similar style to psychological horror. Specifically, both are very much focused on the extreme cognitive dissonance that Aya has experienced upon realizing that Mitsuki and her crush are the same person. I am not a fan of horror, but from what I know about the aforementioned subgenre, it often explores the same kind of dissonances, albeit exaggerating and embellishing them with fantastical elements. Also, the fact that we are only given glimpses of what is going on in Aya's head at the moment may be further enhancing the feeling of suspense that you are picking up on.

Yes! Thank you! Id say that explains the general reason for my feelings pretty well!

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Lizstar posted:

Not really? It's just speculation. We have running bets on the Discord and I'm happy to report yuri end is in the lead.

Why are you deceiving the poor people... The wager is currently at 3 for yuri (with one of them stipulating it will be an implied future relationship), 3 for not-yuri (friendship or ambiguous). It would be 5 for not-yuri if some people were brave enough to risk suffering should they lose. Good news is that all of us wagered something scanlation-related, so whichever side wins, Dynasty as a whole is benefitting...

6bd3db98-054c-4a81-aedf-738fc03f1eae_4_5005_c
joined Feb 10, 2021

Man this comment section is wild lmao

joined Feb 1, 2021

Man this comment section is wild lmao

This comment section leaves no stone unturned. Even the stones with centipedes hiding under them, or the stones labeled "please do not turn," or the stones that suspiciously resemble land mines.

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

No, it's not, people are misunderstanding a single line of an interview.

You mean the line where she said this is not yuri, it's 'pure love' between girls? e.e

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

An 18.5 insert chapter would help quite a bit. Where are the chapter titles from? I don't see chapter numbers nor titles on twitter. In any case if the author left out a relevant event for things to make sense I'm not going to worry about it yet. I've liked Agu / Arai Sumiko's other manga, so I'm not worried it will be too brooding or lose mojo as an episodic series.

Aya's straight-faced emotions are unclear. I could try to guess based on where a story would likely go but there's not much evidence. She definitely isn't blushing as much as when Mitsuki became the "Prince" before. That's kind of nice actually. Things are vague enough for wild mass guessing. My guess is this comic is lesbian but Aya doesn't feel that way at this point, because some of the charm is gone and she will feel ambiguously about the awkward-but-cool Mitsuki in a way she can dismiss. The guess can be disproved in like a week.

Cognitive dissonance! Thank you. I couldn't find the words the past few chapters. I got as far as disconnect due to confusion, and being disconcerted due to reality not matching her thought. So yeah, Aya can't resolve the contradictions among her thoughts and feelings yet - cognitive dissonance. Aya might even be feeling the sort of mourning for her past beliefs, though all I'm sure of is she is getting over stinging shame and embarrassment.

last edited at Sep 5, 2022 11:29PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

(Not to derail the discussion, but I'm going to talk about the chapter...)

OMG, and once again, Mitsuki repeats a line spoken earlier by shop "dude". Get a clue Aya-san!

Edit: Ah, I see I missed a lot of discussion around ch18. Plus, the chapter title helps. I guess she got clued.

last edited at Sep 7, 2022 12:43PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.