Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

The time skip ... really doesn't help the coherence of that chapter. I don't know. Maybe it's meta, like "feel the disjointed feelings of the two girls as a reader", that sorta thing ;)

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

The translation of the latest chapter title feels EXTREMELY liberal to me. Is that really the vibe of what the author meant? I'm not seeing it

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

People who are saying it ending in chapter 20, that's a joke, right? The author hasn't said anything about it ending, right? Please no.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

kaelynn posted:

The translation of the latest chapter title feels EXTREMELY liberal to me. Is that really the vibe of what the author meant? I'm not seeing it

And what's your take, o mighty translator?

joined Apr 16, 2022

I personally think the chapter title translation is extremely clever, definitely a lot more fun than a literal translation ("A new semester for those who can't ask") would be.

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Kind of a weird chapter, feels like there's a page of transition missing

Page? Felt more like an entire chapter was missing

Same. How did we get from the beginning of summer break and planning for the cultural festival to awkward silence and school starting again. There needs to be more explanation and substance.

joined Dec 13, 2020

When did Aya holler about not wanting to go to school tomorrow?
I must have missed one of the previous releases. Chapter and page plz?

joined Sep 12, 2021

I think it works. It at least keeps the part about not asking which was definitely in the Japanese title.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The translation of the title is "liberal" (as in, not literal), but I also think it's a clever double meaning by the translator: Aya doesn't ask, Mitsuki doesn't tell.

Plus a reference to the "Don't Ask, Don't tell" policy that used to be in effect in the US army for gay people.

So, it works really well actually.

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 5:45PM

My%20project%20(4)
joined Jan 15, 2020

uh did I miss a chapter somewhere or what

joined Jan 14, 2020

Love this series to pieces, but the small uploads are very frustrating/ annoying. I’d rather wait longer and have a full chapter uploaded

Honestly, we should be happy that we do get 4 pages of this quality and polish p much every week. That's a lot of work.

It is, though as I've noted, 3-4 pages a week is common for high-volume webcomics.

I can see wanting 16 pages a month instead of 4 a week, fewer chapters to manage. But whatever.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The time skip ... really doesn't help the coherence of that chapter. I don't know. Maybe it's meta, like "feel the disjointed feelings of the two girls as a reader", that sorta thing ;)

How would that work?

People who are saying it ending in chapter 20, that's a joke, right? The author hasn't said anything about it ending, right? Please no.

Joke. The author didn't say anything and I doubt they'd stop working on this right now since it is extremely successful.

I personally think the chapter title translation is extremely clever, definitely a lot more fun than a literal translation ("A new semester for those who can't ask") would be.

Agreed.

She didn't say it anywhere.

How I interpret this first page is:

1. Both Aya and Mitsuki kept going to school during summer vacation for their committee work and Aya, despite being sad/pissed off, said out-loud next to Mitsuki that she did not want to go to school the next day (for the new semester), probably complaining that they had to keep coming to school until the end of vacation.

We don't know at what point in their summer vacation Chapter 18 happened, but as people pointed out, with the three party planners already having a list with equipment and with Aya crossing items from the checklist, Ch.18 probably happened with like two weeks left of their vacation.

In other words: Chapter 17 (end of term and they get picked for committee work) -> Probably 20+ days of committee work -> Chapter 18 (Aya finds out and is sad) -> Few weeks -> Chapter 19 page 1.

1.1 Mitsuki's comment on page 2 about her (out of work) and Aya not talking at all during summer vacation probably refers to the fact that prior to Chapter 18 they only talked about committee work (weren't friends after all), and for the remains of it seemed like Aya was ignoring her on purpose (which she was lmao).
Guessing after Ch.18 she stopped coming to the store, but I chose to assume that not a lot of time has passed for Mitsuki to think it's weird she's no longer stopping by (it's they vacation, not going to the story during her free time for around two-three weeks is not something that would raise any suspicions.

2.First day of the semester happens, Aya really did skip school, but Mitsuki thought she would at least visit "Onii-san" since there was apparently no reason why not.

I thought she would at least show up today = she didn't show up to school but I hoped I would at least get to see her at the store

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 6:06PM

joined Jan 11, 2014

Anyone else’s interest and excitement for this series slowly evaporating away? For some reason the recent chapters lack the serotonin the first few gave me. The premise was so strong and cute but I feel the recent chapters lacked punch and emotional development between the two characters. We also got no real interior lives and don’t really know much about either of them past Aya feeling like music is something she can only partake in by herself.

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 6:18PM

joined Aug 10, 2014

So,it is Glasses turn to fall in love now,huh

1. You have a time machine. You've been sent back to the early 2000s. Do you warn Muse that they're going to turn their 2022 album into a NFT, or....do you just....take the shot?

I would try to warn the world about NFTs, and about Donald Trump becoming president, and about the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series, but no one would believe me as all these things would sound too ridiculous to be true. So, to hell with it, let's go back to 1936 and try killing Hitler instead.

Pleeeaaase tell me this is referencing Best Bisexual Girl in Doctor Who: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxP86zTGS44

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

1. Both Aya and Mitsuki kept going to school during summer vacation for their committee work and Aya, despite being sad/pissed off, said out-loud next to Mitsuki that she did not want to go to school the next day (for the new semester), probably complaining that they had to keep coming to school until the end of vacation.

We don't know at what point in their summer vacation Chapter 18 happened, but as people pointed out, with the three party planners already having a list with equipment and with Aya crossing items from the checklist, Ch.18 probably happened with like two weeks left of their vacation.

In other words: Chapter 17 (end of term and they get picked for committee work) -> Probably 20+ days of committee work -> Chapter 18 (Aya finds out and is sad) -> Few weeks -> Chapter 19 page 1.

1.1 Mitsuki's comment on page 2 about her (out of work) and Aya not talking at all during summer vacation probably refers to the fact that prior to Chapter 18 they only talked about committee work (weren't friends after all), and for the remains of it seemed like Aya was ignoring her on purpose (which she was lmao).

Then why is Mitsuki so surprised that she's being ignored all of a sudden? She should've felt the same throughout all school meetups during summer vacation too.

Guessing after Ch.18 she stopped coming to the store, but I chose to assume that not a lot of time has passed for Mitsuki to think it's weird she's no longer stopping by (it's they vacation, not going to the story during her free time for around two-three weeks is not something that would raise any suspicions.

2.First day of the semester happens, Aya really did skip school, but Mitsuki thought she would at least visit "Onii-san" since there was apparently no reason why not.

I thought she would at least show up today = she didn't show up to school but I hoped I would at least get to see her at the store

Yeah, but according to the drawing on the first page, the new semester began AFTER Aya didn't show up at the store as Mitsuki was hoping for. This is really very confusing.

Anyone else’s interest and excitement for this series slowly evaporating away?

yes, and not slowly - all gone ever since "it's not yuri" drama

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 6:45PM

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I give up. The plot is just not realistic even it is a manga. The plot is starting to rub me on the other way. There are way too many opportunities for the MO "come out". And if you cannot figure out the MO is both the student and the record store clerk. you must be blind. Oh, their play list sucks. I'm out of here.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hmmm well for me, I was so grateful that this twist happened, because to be honest that matsuri/festival chapter with the mask was when I realized, hey, this can't keep going like this, it felt like a filler, and naturally the end of the Act 1 was over.
And let's be honest, 70 % of the drama is in this forum of things that could or would or should happen, I bet a lot of people feel unnecessary overwhelmed, but in the story itself things are still okay.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

Hmmm well for me, I was so grateful that this twist happened, because to be honest that matsuri/festival chapter with the mask was when I realized, hey, this can't keep going like this, it felt like a filler, and naturally the end of the Act 1 was over.
And let's be honest, 70 % of the drama is in this forum of things that could or would or should happen, I bet a lot of people feel unnecessary overwhelmed, but in the story itself things are still okay.

The timeline is a bit confusing, but regardless I think this chapter shows Aya has realized Mitsuki and Onii-san are one in the same person.

What's I find a bit odd though is that Mitsuki is oblivious when her fear of being identified is supposedly pathological or compulsive. I also don't quite comprehend how Mitsuki is seemingly oblivious to why she can't leave Aya alone now.

I mean, up until now it certainly appeared Mistuki was hiding her identity to continue a relationship that she already knew had a romantic direction to it.

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 8:23PM

I give up. The plot is just not realistic even it is a manga. The plot is starting to rub me on the other way. There are way too many opportunities for the MO "come out". And if you cannot figure out the MO is both the student and the record store clerk. you must be blind. Oh, their play list sucks. I'm out of here.

^^^Tbh, hoping more people like this bail. Hopefully they'll take their negativity with them and this comment thread will go back to being chill and fun to read again. It's such a nice and refreshing manga, no wonder it became so popular so quickly—but that kind of exposure inevitably attracts a subset of people looking to vent their daily grievances all over it. Take a page out of this person's book—don't read it if you don't like it. Go away. Straight up. No one's going to miss arguing with you, or reading your comments. It will be a net positive for literally /everyone/ involved if you just bail.

last edited at Sep 4, 2022 8:34PM by

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

1.Both Aya and Mitsuki kept going to school during summer vacation for their committee work and Aya, despite being sad/pissed off, said out-loud next to Mitsuki that she did not want to go to school the next day (for the new semester), probably complaining that they had to keep coming to school until the end of vacation.

Then why is Mitsuki so surprised that she's being ignored all of a sudden? She should've felt the same throughout all school meetups during summer vacation too.

As I said, they were talking only about committee work. After Aya finding out they probably only had little exchanges like this one on page 3 with Aya being dry af and avoiding Mitsuki.

For the first week or so Mitsuki might have not noticed this, since they were not close. Mitsuki obviously hoped they'd be able to become friends and talk about music, just like Aya said she wanted to on Chapter 17.
But like, if this goes on for too long, and the person in front of you is stomping and avoiding your gaze at all times, you start to think it's personal, even if you are not super close.

Yeah, but according to the drawing on the first page, the new semester began AFTER Aya didn't show up at the store as Mitsuki was hoping for. This is really very confusing.

Not necessarily tho. Just because the page itself ends with "And a new semester began" doesn't mean the afternoon at the store is not on the same day their classes started for the new term, which I am guessing it is, for narrative sake.

I choose to think that this scene at the store is Mitsuki thinking "I know she said she wouldn't show up at school (and that did happen) but why did she not come to the shop?"
And then when Aya comes to school and they are doing committee work again, Mitsuki is catching on her attitude towards her (at school). Maybe she just noticed at that moment, Aya could have been pretty good at hiding it (the time-skip really doesn't help) so far.

Mitsuki's disappointment at the shop is probably because Aya coming to talk to "Onii-san" was a given. Aya not talking to school Mitsuki is not something uncommon since they are just classmates.

I'm just trying my best to make this make sense, I know I am not doing a good job lol
Sorry about that

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Anyone else’s interest and excitement for this series slowly evaporating away? For some reason the recent chapters lack the serotonin the first few gave me. The premise was so strong and cute but I feel the recent chapters lacked punch and emotional development between the two characters. We also got no real interior lives and don’t really know much about either of them past Aya feeling like music is something she can only partake in by herself.

I'm not sure what you mean by lacking emotional development. It feels like the story is going somewhere now.

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

I don't think this manga is going slow at all how are people losing patience or interest...The last few chapters if anything are really driving the plot. There's only so much that can happen in 4 pages so ofcourse it won't be as fleshed out compared to a 20 page chapter but overall its still really good and fresh.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I would be losing interest if it just kept on with the status quo gag of Aya not realizing that her classmate is the person she was crushing on. It is actually moving on, which leaves me hopeful that it has a structured plot that was thought up ahead of time and will have a proper ending.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Anyone else’s interest and excitement for this series slowly evaporating away?

yes, and not slowly - all gone ever since "it's not yuri" drama

Haha, I see I'm not the only one.

The first chapters established two well fleshed-out, attractive, adorkable female characters with delightful amorous chemistry engaged in a comedy of romantic errors that we all hoped would result in a yuri love relationship. Now we find it's never going to happen: they will just be buddies who share a hobby. It just takes all the excitement out of the game.

To reply you must either login or sign up.