Forum › Subtraction Tautology discussion

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

weird/abnormal/not normal =/= bad

Being incapable of romantic love is, from practically every perspective, certainly not normal - whether you equate being not normal to bad is on you.

I think that “abnormal” and “uncommon” are two separate concepts and should not be conflated. For example, suppose you are a fan of an obscure post-punk band — it is very uncommon, since they would not have many fans, but by no definition would it be considered “weird” since it doesn’t really matter in daily life. I think this is what people mean when they talk about “normalization” of things; it’s not about numbers, it’s about acceptance. In an ideal world maybe nothing would be considered “weird” since people could just accept it, but it definitely exists as a concept today alongside normality, uncommonness and the morally wrong.

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 5:34PM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

I know someone was saying it takes like 70 chapters just for the mains to even hold hands... And this gets angsty AF. But I really like this series and love both leads whether it's the dull AF but ever caring Minamo or the sad on the inside but doesn't show it Yuriko. I really look forward to this one quite a bit.

Zaimokuza%20ii
joined May 9, 2014

This one quickly become one of my favourite read.
Thanks a lot translation team. Good job!

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

Oh no,,, she was groomed

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

"As long as I'm with you, it's fine even if we don't talk." that seem to hit Yuriko right in the feels.

last edited at Jul 23, 2022 8:11PM

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

"Hot chocolate tastes so good~" "It sure does" "Sweet stuff really perks me up" "Yeah! Especially when they're warm" "You said it"
(same conversation) "Minamo, if you wanted to be with someone forever, what would be the most important?" "...A shared taste in food?"

When Minamo was put on the spot she nearly flirted. Nice. Lots of callback and mirror moments in this series.

More great cutaways to gestures that sell the emotions in a way closer to animation and storyboarding than traditional manga has space for.

last edited at Jul 24, 2022 6:18AM

joined Aug 21, 2017

Man, Yurika's love life is complicated.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Surely I'm not the only one that doesn't trust this Reika chick right? After her comment about not wanting to meet in a busy place she's def hiding something. Or she's just like me and hates people and doesn't want to be around big crowds.. But no she's def hiding something. I feel awful because poor Yurika is gonna end up hurt yet again. Also the best friend chick basically sounding jealous with her "I thought you loved me" kinda irritated the shit out of me. Even if she was just trying to use it as a stop trusting people so easily type thing.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Surely I'm not the only one that doesn't trust this Reika chick right? After her comment about not wanting to meet in a busy place she's def hiding something.

She's hiding that she's an adult hanging out with/dating a high schooler lol. I don't think she has any malicious intentions per se, but this relationship was never going to work out and Reika should've ended it before it got to this point.

As for Himawari, we've barely seen her so it's hard to speculate. It could be jealousy or possessiveness, but it could also be something like "You said you loved me, but you fell in love with this other person immediately so did you ever even love me in the first place?" I can see being annoyed by that even if you don't return the other person's feelings.

Anyway, this continues to be possibly my favorite ongoing manga; it's so good at portraying the rough edges of human relationships, how even people who care each other don't really understand each other, how you can never truly communicate what you really want to -- but also how, despite that, our relationships are the most valuable things we have. It deserves a much higher readership than it's getting, but I suppose it does take a while to get into.

__amaori_renako_and_ouzuka_mai_watashi_ga_koibito_ni_nareru_wake_naijan_murimuri_drawn_by_monsieur__d7bc0a80fd23f14c58ed2720509220b2
joined Oct 15, 2021

This was a great story to binge the development with such good characters is going to be satisfying even if it'll be awhile

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Putting aside that Reika was going way too far by dating an innocent (second year?) high-schooler, she started the relationship knowing she was taking advantage of Yurika's expectations. From their early conversations, Reika probably even recognized that Yurika was deeply yearning for another lesbian to be in her life, which didn't need to be dating. (Yurika believed "I might not meet someone like this again in my life!") It's an unfair trade for Yurika. Maybe Reika was a just a creep, maybe convoluted manga writing (edit - now it seems like Reika was a totally realistic creep)

By her own standard, Yurika falls for people quickly, which has more downsides than upsides in real life. There's probably a phrase for this. Yurika also came to like Minamo very quickly when they barely had a conversation before their first 'home date', as the vulnerable and considerate Minamo kept furiously blushing at her. It's a bit sad but some of her sudden interest in Minamo may have been loneliness from Yurika being on the rebound and having low hopes for meeting compatible lesbians IRL, instead of just her warm sociability. (edit - the usual Tautology repetition comes into play for the "it didn't take me long to" at the start of 30 and end of 31)

Himawari's small appearances so far haven't shown her in the best light. Wanting Yurika to deny herself and always hide her sexuality is messed up, but I'm guessing that (maybe after initial homophobia) she thought it was for Yurika's own well-being. And an overprotective straight person can be possessive and feel betrayed about their bestie taking even small risks. (edit - she's much more nuanced and interesting in the next chapter)

last edited at Aug 13, 2022 1:51PM

joined Dec 30, 2018

Holy shit this is so realistic it's chilling

Also love how grooming isn't treated as a hehe little quirky thing like most mangas do

joined Jun 11, 2021

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy age gap couples, but its really refreshing to see this portrayed so realistically. That was brutal. I just want the main two to pair up already u_u

joined Apr 16, 2022

Age gap couples are one of those things that are interesting to read about in fiction precisely because they almost never work out in real life. But it's also good to see a manga willing to approach the subject more realistically -- especially since I don't think Reika is actually being portrayed as a purely evil predator, but as a lonely and socially awkward woman who doesn't have malicious intentions but still hurts Yurika deeply, which I think is a lot more interesting than someone who's just bad for no reason. Finally, this chapter has removed my one biggest concern with this series, that it might gloss over/justify Minamo's father getting involved with a high-schooler (his second wife, the mother of Minamo and Tsuki's half-sister); I wonder if hearing Yurika's story will cause Minamo to do some re-evaluation of that whole situation.

Incidentally, it seems that whatever issues Himawari is having in her personal life are still ongoing as of the "present day" since she's not attending school. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her, since despite being described as having a "terrible personality" in the character introductions it does look like she'll be portrayed sympathetically.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So are we just going to ignore the subtext that just became text, with the "Why are you with that horrible old bag who's just deceiving you, WHEN YOU COULD HAVE ME" speech?

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I... don't think I get this friend

Wasn't there a moment earlier where they mentioned that Yurika had crushed on Himawari, but Himawari rejected her? She seems to be VERY into her here. I dunno maybe I'm reading it wrong? Maybe the implication is Himawari rejected her for other reasons, or maybe the implication is that she's just pissed because someone else is getting that crush-energy now and she liked being the center of attention but didn't want to actually date?? Curious how that'll turn out.

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

I... don't think I get this friend

Wasn't there a moment earlier where they mentioned that Yurika had crushed on Himawari, but Himawari rejected her? She seems to be VERY into her here. I dunno maybe I'm reading it wrong? Maybe the implication is Himawari rejected her for other reasons, or maybe the implication is that she's just pissed because someone else is getting that crush-energy now and she liked being the center of attention but didn't want to actually date?? Curious how that'll turn out.

It was last chapter in fact: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/subtraction_tautology_ch30#11

On a reread it doesn't sound like she rejected her at all, now while it could be translation but the word choice sounds like Himawari never answered her feelings in the first place. Maybe she was still trying to figure out her own feelings for Yurika and I do think she cares a lot about her well-being but in the end all she did was hurt the both of them.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Holy shit this is so realistic it's chilling

Also love how grooming isn't treated as a hehe little quirky thing like most mangas do

"Grooming", that's the word. When I was reading it I knew that what was going on was gross, but it wasn't until this comment that I realized it was, in fact, grooming. Putting a name to it makes me understand that their relationship was much worse than I originally thought.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't think this chapter necessarily means Himawari has romantic feelings for Yurika. She could, but she could also just be upset that her best friend isn't there for her while she's evidently going through some major personal troubles (enough that she isn't even attending school regularly in the present day).

Midna%20and%20zelda_1w2
joined Apr 2, 2014

Wait what? Yurika's parents are aware that she's being groomed by an adult and they're letting it happen? Even if she's a woman she's still a pedo preying on a minor?? I thought her parents didn't know... Weakly trying to tell her that bit about meeting the groomer's parents is a red flag is not enough. They're not protecting their kid at all in this situation...

last edited at Aug 14, 2022 5:39AM

joined Mar 5, 2014

Wait what? Yurika's parents are aware that she's being groomed by an adult and they're letting it happen? Even if she's a woman she's still a pedo preying on a minor?? I thought her parents didn't know... Weakly trying to tell her that bit about meeting the groomer's parents is a red flag is not enough. They're not protecting their kid at all in this situation...

Bear in mind timeline wise this is probably closer to when Yurika sent her Dad the letter and they somewhat reconciled, so there's a level of tension in the relationship. I can see scenario's where in this situation it's better to pull Yurika out slowly rather then pull too hard and have her shut down talking about it with you completely, especially since they can probably tell the argument is already working.

Also lol at Reika 'not liking crowds' when she's going to meet up with a High Schooler. Sure Ma'am.

joined Mar 6, 2018

Bear in mind timeline wise this is probably closer to when Yurika sent her Dad the letter and they somewhat reconciled, so there's a level of tension in the relationship. I can see scenario's where in this situation it's better to pull Yurika out slowly rather then pull too hard and have her shut down talking about it with you completely, especially since they can probably tell the argument is already working.

Also lol at Reika 'not liking crowds' when she's going to meet up with a High Schooler. Sure Ma'am.

Agreed, I think the parents acted in a way that actually led to results. They managed to plant doubt in Yurika about the relationship, which is way better than trying to shut it down and making it into some kind of weird "star crossed lovers" situation.

joined Aug 21, 2022

Masatsuka sensei (mangaka of this series) has recently lost their income due to depression while suffering from stress-induced deafness, and has been struggling financially for the past year and a half: https://www.reddit.com/r/yuri_manga/comments/wu5trs/masatsuka_sensei_of_hikizan_tautology_has/

You can support them on Fanbox (https://masatsuka.fanbox.cc/).

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 4:26PM

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Masatsuka sensei (mangaka of this series) has recently lost their job due to depression while suffering from stress-induced deafness, and has been struggling financially for the past year and a half: https://www.reddit.com/r/yuri_manga/comments/wu5trs/masatsuka_sensei_of_hikizan_tautology_has/

You can support them on Fanbox (https://masatsuka.fanbox.cc/).

Damn, i'm unneployed at the moment and the brazilian Real is not in the best place, but i will see if i can keep the 100 jpy for a while, if the site even accepts my card...

joined Aug 21, 2022

I'm sure every little helps, but if you're in dire financial straits you can just help spread the word (and fanbox link).

Btw. I've edited my post and changed "lost their job" to "lost their income" as I think 休職 means taking an (unpaid) leave of absence.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 4:59PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.