Forum › Posts by Miragecraft

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

So yeah, Himawari's going to contact the author, cause I don't know Japanese.

Just a heads up, Matsatsuka sensei can actually read and write English (with the help of translation tool). Just need to keep the sentence structure simple so it's easier for the translation tool.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 11:54PM

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

If you plan to read through Matsatsuka sensei's Fanbox entries as a supporter, get ready for an all-expense-paid feels trip.

For non-Japanese speakers (like me), don't hesitate to go through them using translation websites (I used Google and DeepL). If you're multi-lingual try to switch between target languages when it comes to confusing/difficult to translate sections, usually one translation is vastly superior to the other.

My thoughts on Fanbox entries thus far

I've just started reading her older entries on Fanbox and I'm constantly getting flashbacks of Reddit's /r/depression. This is not just a behind the scene's look at manga-making, this is the artist baring her soul showing you her most vulnerable thoughts and struggles in it's rawest, most unfiltered and spontaneous form - sensitive, poetic, at times profane and incoherent, often depressing and sad, constantly striving (and failing and trying again) to be hopeful and optimistic.

(Yes, after reading the notes I can confirm sensei is a she. It's not like sensei is hiding it, I just wasn't 100% sure because so many male mangakas use female avatars...)

It's a very revealing yet uncomfortable read. I feel like I'm intruding into someone's personal space, "how the hell am I even allowed to peek into the innermost thought of a person like this?" I ask myself, yet I can't look away.

I feel a desperate urge to talk about what I've read with someone, simply to find an outlet for the pent up emotion I get from reading them, to have an nod of understanding with an unspoken "that was heavy and real".

Regrettably, I still don't fully understand certain passages because machine translation can only go so far, but I can't discuss/ask publicly, such is the case when it comes to supporter-only content.

So... if you are a supporter on Fanbox, I highly recommend you to go and read sensei's notes from the beginning. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to re-read the manga after going through everything.

You can really starting to see how the manga is a reflection of and outlet for sensei's personal struggles to make sense of life, relationships, woman and motherhood, love (romantic and parental), and the constant struggle to find purpose, meaning and a place to belong.

If you're not a supporter yet, getting to read those entries is a good reason to become one.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 4:29PM

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

Thanks for the updates, Miragecraft! I hadn't realized it until I read through their post, but I guess Subtraction Tautology is self-published?

Looks like it, the full series is available on their website in Japanese (second banner from the sidebar).

They're also selling digital manga vol 1 & 2 on their Booth.pm page, but since I can't read Japanese I figured I might as well just pay them directly via Fanbox.

That's kind of crazy to think because it's legitimately one of the best ongoing manga out there IMO, regardless of genre.

Of course we all love it as fans, but looking at it objectively it has vertical paneling, (tastefully) simplistic art, no action, no explicit scenes (74 chapters in), no fan service, not moe, extremely dialogue heavy, tackles serious topics earnestly (to a fault), and is yuri.

Tell me if that doesn't have red flags (not profitable) written all over it for the Japanese domestic market.

Hopefully Masatsuka-sensei gets picked up for a serialization at some point because their skill at writing dialogue is top of the top.

Well, I'm not sure being subjected to deadlines and editor's scrutiny is ideal due to sensei's depression. I just hope Masatsuka sensei can live comfortably doing what they love (making manga) in whichever way they'd like.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 9:31PM

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

Masatsuka sensei has just posted on Twitter and Fanbox thanking everyone for their support.

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

I'm sure every little helps, but if you're in dire financial straits you can just help spread the word (and fanbox link).

Btw. I've edited my post and changed "lost their job" to "lost their income" as I think 休職 means taking an (unpaid) leave of absence.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 4:59PM

Miragecraft
joined Aug 21, 2022

Masatsuka sensei (mangaka of this series) has recently lost their income due to depression while suffering from stress-induced deafness, and has been struggling financially for the past year and a half: https://www.reddit.com/r/yuri_manga/comments/wu5trs/masatsuka_sensei_of_hikizan_tautology_has/

You can support them on Fanbox (https://masatsuka.fanbox.cc/).

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 4:26PM