Forum › Be Careful, Onee-san (Serialization) discussion

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

But unless a theory is grounded in something in the text, it is, at best, not very helpful in positing answers to the story’s questions.

My personal theory is purely based on the fact that nobody else in the story besides the main character (to my knowledge) has ever reacted specifically to her facial expressions. That strikes me as odd, especially with how very adult those expressions are, causing me to wonder if the author might be doing it on purpose for a hilarious reveal later on. If there is a definitive example of other people seeing these same expressions, either already existing or to come, I'd have no problem abandoning the idea.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

DumShork posted:

But unless a theory is grounded in something in the text, it is, at best, not very helpful in positing answers to the story’s questions.

My personal theory is purely based on the fact that nobody else in the story besides the main character (to my knowledge) has ever reacted specifically to her facial expressions. That strikes me as odd, especially with how very adult those expressions are, causing me to wonder if the author might be doing it on purpose for a hilarious reveal later on. If there is a definitive example of other people seeing these same expressions, either already existing or to come, I'd have no problem abandoning the idea.

I don't have to go too far, in the previous chapter, Amane san reacted to the obvious implication of "Me in your room" with "Hey stop with the flirting" she's aware of how it sounds and how it looks, in the newest chapter she also reacts when Tae gets hugged from behind and why else would she protect the little girl's innocence when Mai chan goes for the lover's hand holding ? If it was just a hand holding or the fingers touching it shouldn't be a problem, you see, is not just her gaze, is what she says, the way she says it, her body language too is that of an adult from time to time not just her physique.

She won't act that way with everyone else because she thinks onee san is special, that should be more than obvious beside the fact that they're the protagonists, and even if that wasn't the case we only have 4 characters with names and one of them is apparently mute and expressionless.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I take the point that Mai’s expressions toward Tae are over the top, but it strikes me as a pretty common thing in romance manga that the object of a character’s attention (and the audience) perceive that character’s expressions as being more focused on the love object and more intense than any of the side characters do. So it seems pretty unremarkable that nobody else reacts or speaks up about the way she looks at Tae. Except, of course, for the fact that Mai is so freaking young.

To return to my original point—I think that’s the joke. Mai looks and acts considerably more mature and more in control of the relationship than Tae does, and all that’s a common trope in age-gap romances. Except Mai is only 10 [now 11]. That seems like it should make a difference—like someone should say, “Mai, what the hell are you doing acting like that? You’re only 11!” It just doesn’t happen.

last edited at Jul 15, 2022 4:53PM

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

I guess the only point I'm really hung up on is where did she pick up these things? She very clearly has a strict mother - one whom I suspect doesn't allow her to spend her time unsupervised watching TV dramas or internet lurking, where such behavior is abundant. I think I just want the author to have some sort of comedic reveal (or even an explanation) about the whole thing because I don't want this child to be acting in an erotically flirtatious manner completely naturally. I'm on-board for full-blown degeneracy, but if it can be avoided, I'd at least feel better about my enjoyment of this. I want this to end up being a single serving of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies instead of an entire package of Double Stuf Oreos. Both are enjoyable and bad for me, but one leaves me feeling so much worse.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think I just want the author to have some sort of comedic reveal (or even an explanation) about the whole thing because I don't want this child to be acting in an erotically flirtatious manner completely naturally.

It may well turn out to be so. No indication of anything one way or the other yet, though.

(By the way, you've done a good job of explaining your point. Better than I have, I think.)

joined Mar 8, 2019

You’re right—that was an assumption on my part, and the poster did clarify what they were responding to.

This story is quite challenging on several levels: ethically, sure, but also on the level of plausibility and consistency of characterization.

The main issue, what critics call an “interpretive crux,” is what exactly are we to make of Mai?

The basic story tropes here are not unfamiliar (age-gap, reverse size-gap, the younger character (apparently) coming on to the older one, etc.). But the extreme nature of the specifics (Mai’s age, her physical development, her seductive affect) are rarely seen outside of hentai. This kind of age-gap and “wholesome” just doesn’t compute (or rarely does—I imagine there must be some parallels in the wide universe of manga). So this story inherently does pose a lot of (at this point) unanswered questions.

But I think there’s an important distinction to be made between what the text (as authored) is doing and what people make up in their heads. A valid interpretive hypothesis needs to be based, however tentatively, in the specifics of the text.

In the case of predictions about uncompleted serial stories, there’s also the weaker “evidence” of typical genre tropes and conventions that might apply—stories often use these to signal where they’re going without being completely overt about it. This story doesn’t really allow readers to put much weight on such things, though, because of its unusual premises.

As I said, readers are free to fabulate on a story any way they like. But unless a theory is grounded in something in the text, it is, at best, not very helpful in positing answers to the story’s questions.

The posts I've read on this particular thread read like they're made for fun so far, like I said I'm not here often. I've only read the last two pages of the discussion recently. Apart from the whole marriage interview, this story has been comedic. The readers seem to be responding to the tone by posting their outrageous predictions/hopes. The plot is off kilter so it's understandably going to attract out of the box thinkers.

I don't believe I read a claim that their headcanons are canon. Maybe I missed the part where the headcanons were offered as definitive answers to the story's questions. Maybe I missed the questions posed. I'm reading that people are just sharing for fun and curiosity if they're attracting like minded readers but like I said, that's just me.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Let me give you an analogy. You know YuruYuri? It's an immensely popular series with zillions of followers. The girls in that manga are in 1st or 2d year middle school, they are barely older than Mai. Well, get a load of this: nobody, and I mean nobody, has ever ever speculated that they are actually a bunch of 25-year-olds masquerading as seventh and eighth graders. The canon says that they are kids in middle school, so everyone thinks that's exactly what they are. Claiming otherwise wouldn't seem fun, just weird.

Not to be all Schrodinger's Situation here but I don't recall YuruYuri dealing with a similar "Older/Younger Than She Looks" dilemma. Only watched the Anime so I'm unclear if this issue is brought up in the manga.

But then why when it comes to BCO, even tho the canon is as strong as in YuruYuri, so many readers express such a strong reject of textual fact—coming up with explanations for what doesn't need to be explained and positing that Mai has to be an adult woman, even tho this idea creates a shitload of massive complications and is way more implausible, far-fetched and problematic than the simple canon?

The most seeming answer is: because they are uncomfortable with the given context. As for why they feel this way, well, I think I can guess... but that would be a speculation of mine so I won't say it.

I'm not denying some are indeed uncomfortable with the context but it's also possible that they're merely offering an even more farfetched and unlikely idea to the existing one simply for fun? Maybe I should stop putting my two cents in because like I said, I've only read the last two pages recently. And I'm going off on this particular comment that I've glanced at:

Waiting for the amnesia plot twist, where Mai has mentally regressed to grade-school age due to a head injury and her going to grade school/swim class is part of her recovery program. The occasional suave line/move on her part is part of the "real Mai" peeking through, who is a total flirt. M Night Shamalamadingdong twist is that Hitomi is her same-age (adult) sister/cousin/childhood friend who is playing along with her to help recover her memories. #WildAndBaselessSpeculation

This just reads like the comment was made for entertainment. I don't know if there are ones that claiming otherwise and clinging to their headcanons. People could be offering these as a way to explain off their discomfort or because they feel the story will be more compelling this way who really knows.

EDIT: They could also be explaining out of disbelief? Like the story is too unrealistic so are trying to apply real world scenario they find more likely/believable than a 10 year old having the body of 22 year old lingerie model.

last edited at Jul 15, 2022 6:45PM

joined Mar 8, 2019

I guess the only point I'm really hung up on is where did she pick up these things? She very clearly has a strict mother - one whom I suspect doesn't allow her to spend her time unsupervised watching TV dramas or internet lurking, where such behavior is abundant. I think I just want the author to have some sort of comedic reveal (or even an explanation) about the whole thing because I don't want this child to be acting in an erotically flirtatious manner completely naturally. I'm on-board for full-blown degeneracy, but if it can be avoided, I'd at least feel better about my enjoyment of this. I want this to end up being a single serving of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies instead of an entire package of Double Stuf Oreos. Both are enjoyable and bad for me, but one leaves me feeling so much worse.

What if it's something Mai picked up from her mom who is also unknowingly putting out flirty vibes that land her in situations and that's why she's protective? - Not what I believe of course, just offering up an idea.

joined Apr 6, 2019

But then why when it comes to BCO, even tho the canon is as strong as in YuruYuri, so many readers express such a strong reject of textual fact—coming up with explanations for what doesn't need to be explained and positing that Mai has to be an adult woman, even tho this idea creates a shitload of massive complications and is way more implausible, far-fetched and problematic than the simple canon?

The notion of Mai as an adult simply doesn't work. No parents would allow an adult to be around their children like that. Little girls are touchy-feely little things. Imagine an adult in the changing room, looking at the little girls get naked, then getting naked herself, then going for a big ole skinship feast. The idea is terrifying and only Minori from this manga would like it. No half-assed excuse like amnesia or whatever would float here.

I find it mildly amusing that the guardians of public morals, trying to rewrite a storyline where a girl of 10 [now 11] understands how to be sexy and has a crush on an adult, have come up with something ten times worse.

last edited at Jul 16, 2022 2:41PM

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Little girls are touchy-feely little things. Imagine an adult in the changing room, looking at the little girls get naked, then getting naked herself, then going for a big ole skinship feast. The idea is terrifying...

Sez you. o3o
If Itou Hachi writes and draws it, I'll read the living heck out of that shit.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I think everyone in this thread agrees that the 11 year-old is acting like a 15-17 yo and that’s just… off-putting? We buy it because of her looks but when the age comes to mind it’s just awfully unrealistic.
I just hope Onee-san keeps turning her down until the end and just straight up says “I don’t want to go to jail so if you could be so kind as to WAIT before you hit on me like that”. At this point I don’t doubt that Mai has a crush on her and is going for it but… she’s acting like a teen with a crush.

It’s a funny little gag tho so one is able to read it while ignoring stuff until “10 year-old” is said. Every chapter is a damn morality rollercoaster for readers lol

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 1:22PM

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Mai is a grade schooler Mai is a grade schooler Mai is a grade schooler... Remember just keep telling myself that because damnit if she isn't doing this flirting on purpose I don't know what to even think anymore. And ooo I wonder who the girl at the end was a jealous classmate of Mai's perhaps :O?

joined Aug 29, 2019

Geez, the bedroom eyes in this chapter were off the charts.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Oh look, here comes the drama foreshadowing...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

You're triggering the meeting the parents flags too much!! you better be prepared Onee san!

Oh new character, to be honest we really need more hahaha

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

This smells like drama but idk what type of drama

joined Aug 29, 2019

This smells like drama but idk what type of drama

So far we've been pretty light on drama, conflict -> 2 chapters of light drama -> cute moments -> resolution.
I don't think we have much to fear in the short term.

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

I think people are taking too seriously what is supposed to be a gag. Mai is a child, Mai looks like an adult, Mai is unintentionally saying or doing something that flusters Tae.That's pretty much it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Danger, danger!

I think everyone in this thread agrees that the 11 year-old is acting like a 15-17 yo and that’s just… off-putting? We buy it because of her looks but when the age comes to mind it’s just awfully unrealistic.

Not since the time I actually remembered what we were like at that age. We tend to very much underestimate what kids that age are like.

joined May 29, 2021

This girl...

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

This girl...

![]

![]

![]

my heart can't take it

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 3:50PM

joined May 1, 2015

In before Onee san has a little sister of her own.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Oh new character, to be honest we really need more hahaha

Laws of Yuri Manga #231:
Every story where an adult woman falls in love with a gradeschooler girl needs another gradeschooler girl to be the adult woman's rival in love.

Minori has Hime to challenge her, Ayase has Mio, and Tae will soon have to deal with New Character-chan.

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

I love the underwater shots in this chapter, they’re very aesthetic

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I really hoped this manga would be safe from the obligatory love triangle, but that last page implies otherwise.

To reply you must either login or sign up.