Forum › Posts by Miasmaphonia

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

A serialized manga proves popular enough to continue and introduces a previously unseen character.

Whatever will they think of next?

Maybe they'll think of an unseen character whose "sympathy factor" won't rely on a backstory that doesn't really work (for me) if it was never mentioned. She could have had other reasons for being antagonistic towards Onee-san that didn't revolve around her supposedly being with friends with Mai-chan.

Supplying in advance the backstory to a character we've never seen certainly would be a narrative innovation.

I feel like the discussion would be more interesting if you'd actually engage in discussing the content of the story and characters instead of giving snarky replies, but at any rate, I don't think the combination of her being friends with Mai-chan and their friendship never being mentioned adds anything. She already has her "hating adults" thing, that could've been enough of a valid reason for her to cause conflict in the story. It would have been even more interesting if it didn't get solved within the same chapter it's explained. Maybe she could have been a sort of voice of reason to their relationship, and slowly warm up to them.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

A serialized manga proves popular enough to continue and introduces a previously unseen character.

Whatever will they think of next?

Maybe they'll think of an unseen character whose "sympathy factor" won't rely on a backstory that doesn't really work (for me) if it was never mentioned. She could have had other reasons for being antagonistic towards Onee-san that didn't revolve around her supposedly being with friends with Mai-chan.

Or maybe they'll think of a new character who doesn't follow the predictable path of:
1. Being a brat.
2. Reveal the reason for being a brat.
3. Get along with everyone by the end.
And maybe even double-down on it and have her be a part of a love triangle between Mai-chan and Onee-san (although I didn't interpret it this way, but let's see where volume 3 takes us).

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Definitely did not enjoy the second half of this volume. We've never even seen Houjou be friends with Mai-chan and Hitomi-chan, but "these two are all she's got". What about the two girls she was with a few chapters ago? I feel like it proves this character wasn't planned at all (and maybe an editor just told the author to up the drama in the 2nd volume), because if she were, she'd have been introduced way earlier as to actually build up a believable friendship with Mai-chan.
At least Hitomi-chan is great in every panel she's in.

last edited at Aug 18, 2022 3:43PM

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Frustrating chapter for sure, but the oddest thing is that Kurumi wasn't aware of the fact that when Ruriko was studying abroad she let a stranger stay with her for a month.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

(you can’t really knock out a security guard for hours with a light karate chop to the neck; most high-security construction does not involve easily accessible air ducts big enough for humans to crawl through; etc.)

Don't ruin my immersion. The next chapter will have Tae karate chopping the teacher, and escaping with Mai through the air ducts.

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I made a character sheet from what we’ve got so far. Please add suggestions as comments on there

Tagging Futaba as the best character was the right call.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Why is this brat so obsessed with Mai-chan anyway?

Because she’s actually 34 years old.

The only acceptable outcome.

I meant the brat.

Yeah me too, don't worry. I meant that I'd only accept a character this annoying if there's some big twist i.e. her being an adult. Maybe she's infiltrating the school.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Why is this brat so obsessed with Mai-chan anyway?

Because she’s actually 34 years old.

The only acceptable outcome.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I wonder what the point of a character like Houjou is. Obviously it's going to end up with all of them getting along, with Houjou possibly developing a crush on Tae as well. But I really wouldn't have minded if the story just continued with the 4 existing characters. Often a character like this is introduced to force the other characters to realize how they feel about each other, but I think in this manga it's pretty clear both Mai and Tae are already aware of their own feelings. The manga could've just been about them getting to know each other better, by continuing what they were already doing: celebrating birthdays, going bowling, etc. If a new character was really necessary I think it would've been a lot more interesting to introduce Mai's mom. But I guess they're saving that for later.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

So far the side characters are more interesting than Yuzu, I hope she'll get some actual development soon. We're supposed to believe Minami and Yuzu are best friends, but so far it seems like Minami and Tatsumi are way closer.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Didn't expect this to be the final chapter. I guess they're trapped in a vicious cycle of losing weight and getting fat again.

last edited at Jul 30, 2022 3:43AM

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I really liked this. Especially Itsuki and Futaba, but judging by the contents they might not get a dedicated chapter.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

New character is annoying as expected, but seeing Hitomi-chan crack her knuckles made up for it. How Mai-chan responded was really cool, too.
I wonder how Hitomi-chan feels about Azuma-san?

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I really hoped this manga would be safe from the obligatory love triangle, but that last page implies otherwise.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

so... They adopted X or did I miss something?

I'm pretty sure X died and then got reincarnated as their daughter, truly the only way this could have ended haha

More science (?) babies is always a win.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I'm happy to see her former idol colleagues are all nice people and there is no animosity to draw drama from.

Seriously, this is my favorite thing about this chapter.

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Very cute that what Mashiro said about Uda-chan is similar to what Nagisa said about Riri-chan in an earlier chapter.

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

The side characters were worth staying around for

Agreed. Would have been nice to have some more content about them, but instead we get this bonus garbage.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Btw, here is a spoiler to ease people’s worries
Safe to say there is no love triangle with her? Idk, I tried to use google translate for some parts of ch18 and it worked a bit

I will be quite impressed if that's actually the case.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Watanabe lookin awfully cute in the next volume preview.
I can already tell Mikan is gonna make me mad.

I'm genuinely not looking forward to her inclusion lmao.

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I've been looking for hours now for something I read a while ago.
It was an age gap yuri about a younger character (middle school age I think) who regularly visits an older character who pretends to be really mysterious and knowledgeable but is actually a college dropout.
Near the end the younger character calls the older character out for her behaviour.

Maybe this:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_dream_of_spring_on_a_tatami_mat#2

That's it. Thank you, I really appreciate this.

Miasmaphonia
Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

I've been looking for hours now for something I read a while ago.
It was an age gap yuri about a younger character (middle school age I think) who regularly visits an older character who pretends to be really mysterious and knowledgeable but is actually a college dropout.
Near the end the younger character calls the older character out for her behaviour.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

yeah this certainly seems like Watanabe is going to become the person she is today because her crush rejected her possibly by going "no yuri is a fictional thing love between girls isn't real" at which point Watanabe throws herself entirely in her "Yuri" as a way to not have to face the real world where she is indeed a gay little girl.

If they're going the route that the crush rejected her (either because "yuri isn't real" or just a flat rejection), I really hope she doesn't show up later to start some kind of love triangle.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

Thanks! Here's a bonus
yoshiokagigachad

(here's hoping it works)

Amazing. 10/10.

Majyofin(1)
joined Feb 14, 2021

It's interesting that the best chapter in a long while didn't feature any of the side characters, and instead focused on the main characters.
It's almost as if...