Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Jan 11, 2014

Other than that, translator choices, if there's no obvious mistranslation, are not something to be discussed.

Why not? Keeping in mind that there is no “correct” translations and that translations can come in many forms from one to one translations to more interpretive translations, I think talking about different possible wording can shed light on the nuances of the original language.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

You'll have as many translations as there are translators.

The only way for the readers to get the actual "nuances" would be to learn the language or abuse translation notes.

When I started, I did a lot of T/N. Now, I just try to word it, or adapt it, in a way that people will get without having to read a novel on the last page.

And if it's not 100% how the JP feels or means, well, that's life.

D6ddfcda-89ee-43a6-ae2b-df3ce73df1a6
joined Jul 2, 2022

This is the best thing ever made

joined Apr 14, 2022

You're agreeing with them, though? This just reinforces the point that there's plenty to discuss. Seems weirdly draconian to declare that nobody is allowed to talk about the nuances of the language. Especially given that nuances are actually often very relevant to the story and characterisation. If anything that comes across as trying to enforce your interpretation, which you've established yourself as being only one of many, as the "correct" interpretation, when no such thing exists. Obviously people shouldn't go around flinging unconstructive criticism at translators, but they absolutely should be able to talk about the translation.

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 6:32PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

This is the best thing ever made

Yes. Rock and Yuri.

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

When I started, I did a lot of T/N. Now, I just try to word it, or adapt it, in a way that people will get without having to read a novel on the last page.

To be honest, I quite like when there’s lots of T/N, especially when it sheds light on more contextual/subtextual information. But I can understand not wanting to use it all the time haha

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

gay smell

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Well, the way I see it, there's tons of scanlation groups out there in need of translators. Instead of spending time on the minutiae of other peoples' translations, it makes a lot more sense to help out on untranslated things. Obviously not everyone has the time or inclination, and there's times when there's a mistranslation to point out that actually matters, but, well, you're getting all this out of the kindness of other peoples' hearts, if there's no real problem, nitpicking seems kind of silly.

But this is all totally off-topic anyways. I'd rather talk about the gay music nerds.

They sure are gay, aren't they? I really hope Jerkface ends up getting interested in the music or something instead of just "Hey, here's a guy just being in the way of the lesbians. Don't worry, he'll become irrelevant in a few chapters." You know, the kind of throw-away, single-faceted character who only exists to create drama or move the story along.

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

Girl Smell >>> Boy Smell

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

protectmomo posted:

You're agreeing with them, though? This just reinforces the point that there's plenty to discuss. Seems weirdly draconian to declare that nobody is allowed to talk about the nuances of the language.

Just wanted to clarify that as far as the rules are concerned, it's totally fine to discuss translations so long as the topic doesn't stray too far from the one at hand. Of course, there are many fine lines involved where the discussion could be disrespectful, meandering, or not substantive. The normal posting rules apply in those cases. Did get one message about this, so wanted to post publicly here.

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 2:28PM

joined Jul 15, 2022

Kirin-kun posted:

It's my choice to translate this as "Male power". It was not 陽キャラ but 陽パワー, which is the power of the Sun, Yang, masculinity, etc...(see the halo around his head). Just before, he said that he had never had any problem getting a girl to do his bidding, and I'm pretty sure the author wanted to hint that he thinks that being a handsome and cool guy, he can get girls to do anything.. So I think "Male power" fits better, especially in a yuri manga.

I referenced 陽キャラ(you-chara) because you'll be hard pressed to find any Japanese youth who wouldn't associate 陽パー, 'you-power', with extroversion, also an aspect of yang and, I'd argue, the relevant one in this case. While the trope of the cool kids socially pressuring the unpopular kids has existed before, Japan has a recent focus on the dynamics between yin/yang (in/you in Japanese) personality types, especially in hierarchical school settings. Gyaru tend to fall under yang personality-wise despite not being male as sex isn't the factor being described in this context. It's partly why being insulted by a gyaru like Aya would be doubly humiliating. His being male is secondary; it's the part where he's pretending to be outgoing and nice that makes the dialogue work in the contemporary Japanese school context. If it was all about flexing his masculinity, he wouldn't be portrayed as a two-faced pretty boy with a flimsy rotten core, but a domineering bully who happens to look good and in lieu of references to yang we'd get monologues about manliness.

last edited at Jul 20, 2022 5:40PM

joined Feb 17, 2018

Chapter 11 back on the first page. Don't think I've ever see something fall off and then come back again, everyone clicking next on 10.1 eh

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

Each Ch is so short which is good but also not so good because this shiz is so damn good, I wanna binge but I can't because I am all caught up so fast every time. I NEEEEEEED MMOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! ¯_(☯෴☯)_/¯

joined Mar 20, 2012

I think this is the first time I see three different chapters of the same series on the front page.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Girl Smell >>> Boy Smell

Very true.

Chapter 11 back on the first page. Don't think I've ever see something fall off and then come back again, everyone clicking next on 10.1 eh

That's the power of green gays

I think this is the first time I see three different chapters of the same series on the front page.

This is actually not the first time it happens with this series. Back when Ch.1-5 where posted, they all stayed in the front page for quite some time. That's probably why this series is popular (not once has it gone out of the top reads of the week, I think): everyone got hooked from the start

last edited at Jul 20, 2022 5:08PM

joined Apr 3, 2021

Imo Aya already “knows” what’s going on. When she finally realizes Mitsuki’s true identity she’ll be like “well on some level I figured it out.” Or “I can’t deny the signs were there all along” or whatever

last edited at Jul 20, 2022 5:29PM

joined Oct 26, 2014

Harold over here trying to do the math

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Imo Aya already “knows” what’s going on. When she finally realizes Mitsuki’s true identity she’ll be like “well on some level I figured it out.” Or “I can’t deny the signs were there all along” or whatever

That's one of the things that's been kind-of bugging me about this page, in the context of the following chapters. She's having a meltdown over the smell of Mitsuki's jacket which A) probably isn't all that boy-ish and B) probably isn't all that different from how she smells during class. That feels like something she'd notice sooner, rather than later, especially if Mitsuki keeps doing things like accidentally kabedoning her or whatever you want to call the way she gave back that earbud in the fourth chapter.

Aya: Hey, you know, you smell a lot like the boy I like.
Mitsuki: Uh ...
A: You also sound a bit like him, and you have pretty similar eyes.
M: Well, about —
A: And now that I'm looking closer, you have holes for piercings in the same place as his piercings.
M: ...
A: I'm beginning to think it's not a boy that I like.

joined Feb 17, 2018

That feels like something she'd notice sooner, rather than later, especially if Mitsuki keeps doing things like accidentally kabedoning her or whatever you want to call the way she gave back that earbud in the fourth chapter.

"Haha oh my god I just accidentally kabedoned you again. Crazy how that keeps happening, this is what the fourth time? I swear I'm not doing this on purpose please believe me"

last edited at Jul 22, 2022 12:31AM

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

Just binged the whole series (~15 min), got reminded how the uncle was pretty damn cool. Also got reminded about how Mitsuki had a slightly biased bad impression of Aya at the start (popular girl). It was nice to see that Mitsuki wasn't badly treated by her classmates or ignored, like usually happens to "nerdy" characters. The way the author has done this to this point makes the eventual reveal be not a big deal I think, particularly if they get closer as friends before it happens.

joined Apr 3, 2021

It’s also possible that Aya is so into Mitsuki that she’ll immediately get over the fact that she’s a girl and roll right into “oh my god the fact that she’s so reserved in class is precious info, she’s even cuter than I thought”

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

It’s also possible that Aya is so into Mitsuki that she’ll immediately get over the fact that she’s a girl and roll right into “oh my god the fact that she’s so reserved in class is precious info, she’s even cuter than I thought”

That would be too good.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

I like how the weekly updates stop after I discover it.

Nevermind. Forget what I said. They snuck 10.1 in there. I guess there will be one up tomorrow, as well.

last edited at Jul 23, 2022 9:39PM

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Oh we have an update this week.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

That's one of the things that's been kind-of bugging me about this page, in the context of the following chapters. She's having a meltdown over the smell of Mitsuki's jacket which A) probably isn't all that boy-ish and B) probably isn't all that different from how she smells during class. That feels like something she'd notice sooner, rather than later, especially if Mitsuki keeps doing things like accidentally kabedoning her or whatever you want to call the way she gave back that earbud in the fourth chapter.

Aya: Hey, you know, you smell a lot like the boy I like.
Mitsuki: Uh ...
A: You also sound a bit like him, and you have pretty similar eyes.
M: Well, about —
A: And now that I'm looking closer, you have holes for piercings in the same place as his piercings.
M: ...
A: I'm beginning to think it's not a boy that I like.

I feel like that last line should be
A: He's your brother isn't he!?
M: Eh!?

To reply you must either login or sign up.