Forum › Posts by LoamySoil

joined Jul 15, 2022

How dare you say that?! Read the fucking mood!

I hope she's telling herself that, because in the original Japanese she's holding herself back (without the aggressive language) from expressing directly to her friends her enthusiasm from the last thought bubble as the mood just isn't there.

last edited at Jul 26, 2022 6:40PM

joined Jul 15, 2022

Kirin-kun posted:

It's my choice to translate this as "Male power". It was not 陽キャラ but 陽パワー, which is the power of the Sun, Yang, masculinity, etc...(see the halo around his head). Just before, he said that he had never had any problem getting a girl to do his bidding, and I'm pretty sure the author wanted to hint that he thinks that being a handsome and cool guy, he can get girls to do anything.. So I think "Male power" fits better, especially in a yuri manga.

I referenced 陽キャラ(you-chara) because you'll be hard pressed to find any Japanese youth who wouldn't associate 陽パー, 'you-power', with extroversion, also an aspect of yang and, I'd argue, the relevant one in this case. While the trope of the cool kids socially pressuring the unpopular kids has existed before, Japan has a recent focus on the dynamics between yin/yang (in/you in Japanese) personality types, especially in hierarchical school settings. Gyaru tend to fall under yang personality-wise despite not being male as sex isn't the factor being described in this context. It's partly why being insulted by a gyaru like Aya would be doubly humiliating. His being male is secondary; it's the part where he's pretending to be outgoing and nice that makes the dialogue work in the contemporary Japanese school context. If it was all about flexing his masculinity, he wouldn't be portrayed as a two-faced pretty boy with a flimsy rotten core, but a domineering bully who happens to look good and in lieu of references to yang we'd get monologues about manliness.

last edited at Jul 20, 2022 5:40PM

LoamySoil
joined Jul 15, 2022

I couldn't make a post in https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/topics/19988-the-guy-she-was-interested-in-wasn-t-a-guy-at-all-discussion as posting and preview are being marked as spam. I'm not touching Discord/Twitter so I'm posting here.

last edited at Jul 18, 2022 5:26PM

joined Jul 15, 2022

Thanks for the translation. I don't quite agree with some of the translation choices in ch13. Main ones being:

Male power

The 陽 here doesn't refer to the male aspect, but to his outgoing personality (陽キャラ), since he's obviously trying to strongarm someone who would be percieved to be on the 陰 spectrum (陰キャラ) using his status as one of the cool kids.

Jerkface

While hilarious and a true description of his character, it doesn't quite convey the same nuance as lame or similar.

It's not like I was harassing her

Here he's actually talking about himself not being bothered by it ('it' being called ださっ, lame).