Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Honestly, I can kind of understand why an author might not want to label their work as yuri, even if it technically would fall into that category. Yuri as a genre often feels somehow detached from wlw in real life...? (I can't explain it very well, but I think there are probably other people here who get what I mean). So it could be a way to free your work from readers' expectations. That said, I don't speak Japanese, so I have no idea what Agu actually said here, this was more of a general comment on the matter.

Well, going by Google Translate, Agu DOES mention that they like working with the themes of women and women’s love, so it might be exactly the case that the author doesn’t see in the works called “yuri” a depiction of wlw that they’d like to make or be associated with.
Here is the translated version (GT):

I also think it’s just Agu hoping the audience will not have the same expectations for the series that they have with works labelled as “Yuri”, that they wanna explore the story and making it something more than just f/f. But going by the author’s work, they do portray intimacy between women that is clearly not heterosexual, that’s the central theme of what i’ve seen by them. I would argue their work is what we could call down-to-earth/realistic yuri. It shows women sexuality and feelings between women the way it is. I am ofc going by “The Real Momoka” and the series just posted here on DS, both being previous works. Can they be called Yuri? Yeah, ofc. But at the end of the day they are about women’s love. Yuri is a genre, love between women is a topic. When you have a genre, certain patterns are expected and it’s ok if the author doesn’t really want to follow these…

isn't there a movement to kinda divorce "women's love" works from yuri? I agree here that from this section it sounds like the author doesn't want to be bound to the genre conventions of "yuri" and just write a queer story.

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

bwhahahahaha, Mitsuki sure is evil - good new chapter
wonder how long she was sick - she must have been absent from both school and the workplace, which would be yet another hint for Aya

nah, probably Aya thought her crush changed shifts during the days “he” was absent from work

yeah, looks like she was out for 3d only - the power of affection sure heals, lol

it was the playlist that she got from aya, with a cool selection of songs. miraculously healed her. amen.

True that! There's hope for the young'ns that know the greatness of Black Sabbath.

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

would have been infinitely better had the person been either trans man or trans woman tbh

Why? What a weird thing to say

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

th-th-they're making playlists for each other ;A;

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

"The face she'd make once she gets it, I really wanted to see what it'd look like."

That's not very straight of you, Mitsuki.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

"The face she'd make once she gets it, I really wanted to see what it'd look like."

That's not very straight of you, Mitsuki.

nah, nothing but a mere affection, it will pass as she grows! lol

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Naughty. :D

UnidentifiedFangirlingHimejoshi
Untitled2120_20220919231752
joined Sep 7, 2021

this is genuinely so fucking cute i smile like a fucking idiot everytime i fucking read this i fucking want what they fucking have, fuck

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 3:25PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Drat.
With Mitsuki out sick for three days, I kept thinking Aya was going to show up with her school handouts. The status quo continues.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Mitsuki: I really need to clear up the misunderstanding....

also Mitsuki: .....*replying back to Aya's playlist with her own just to see her reaction*....

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Regarding the reference, I would be even broader and say she's talking about her drawing in general, as she starts the entire point talking about the "manga I'm drawing" which could be specific to this manga, but she specifically did not say this manga, so I read it as a general statement

She used a "teiru' grammatical form, which is about something ongoing.

I was the one side in that argument stating that she said, in her interview, that she didn't consider the story she's currently writing as yuri (ie, romance between girls), but as "female close relationship" or something. Ie, Gal Pals. Or subtext.

Afk was arguing that she implied "so far", I was arguing that she's talking about the whole story in general.

The truth remains to be seen.

Fair enough, I can see that point. But afaik "te iru" can also be something ongoing in a broader sense, i.e. not referring to this specific manga but rather to the continued activity of drawing manga. Doesn't invalidate your reading though and I can certainly see what you mean, reading the interview again, the later comments in that paragraph seem to indeed point to her talking about this story in particular.

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

I was the one side in that argument stating that she said, in her interview, that she didn't consider the story she's currently writing as yuri (ie, romance between girls), but as "female close relationship" or something. Ie, Gal Pals. Or subtext.

Afk was arguing that she implied "so far", I was arguing that she's talking about the whole story in general.

Not yuri then. Friendly affection between girls. The warmth of having a gal pal who is really close to you, like a soulmate, and really understands you.

This chapter really drives the point home.

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

Cute lol

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

She got over the cold but not the fever.
If you know what I mean.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

She got over the cold but not the fever.
If you know what I mean.

wink wink

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Not yuri then. Friendly affection between girls. The warmth of having a gal pal who is really close to you, like a soulmate, and really understands you.

We are starting to delve deeper into this series, and I appreciate that Sumiko is beginning to provide the audience with a clearer understanding of Mitsuki's internal self. Maybe she wasn't so bothered before, but we see a longing for a sense of connection with others now that Aya is beginning to bridge that connection though their passion for music. Witnessing this affective connection between the two is so satisfying to me. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this theme, which Sumiko demonstrates on other emotionally-charged artwork on Twitter. The driving emotions and subtle intimacies—glances, nuances, inner thoughts about the other—are what I find more interesting and exciting in this series.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

We are starting to delve deeper into this series, and I appreciate that Sumiko is beginning to provide the audience with a clearer understanding of Mitsuki's internal self. Maybe she wasn't so bothered before, but we see a longing for a sense of connection with others now that Aya is beginning to bridge that connection though their passion for music. Witnessing this affective connection between the two is so satisfying to me. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this theme, which Sumiko demonstrates on other emotionally-charged artwork on Twitter. The driving emotions and subtle intimacies—glances, nuances, inner thoughts about the other—are what I find more interesting and exciting in this series.

^^^ couldn't have said it any better

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

We're in a strange part of our town now

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Well I didn't expect from this cute chapter to come into a serious and intense conversation like this.

All I can say is if we start tagging series on Dynasty as "wlw" and "Yuri" seperately there might be a lot of fighting on what exactly defines the two. Author intent. So many factors, along with personal opinions. I just don't see it going well at all personally, but maybe I'm wrong...

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

We're in a strange part of our town now

Yup

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Well I didn't expect from this cute chapter to come into a serious and intense conversation like this.

All I can say is if we start tagging series on Dynasty as "wlw" and "Yuri" seperately there might be a lot of fighting on what exactly defines the two. Author intent. So many factors, along with personal opinions. I just don't see it going well at all personally, but maybe I'm wrong...

I'm getting "Common Era' vibes from "wlw", it's not a good idea

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

Someday she gotta take that mask off right?? I wonder if she has a deep voice.

I was wondering that too! Or at the least if she sounds different at work vs at school

Ya'll are worrying way too much about this. It's a cute story with great art. Not exactly earth shattering or a philosophical treatise on gay relationships. What does it matter wether or not it's going to be romance, explicit, etc. If it's good, it's good. What matters is Mitsuki better tell her soon, the anticipations is too much.

Haha the anticipation is too much but i wonder if the author will push it a little more. As we see their growing bond we also seem to get bits and tidbits about enjoying a band together (ie sharing playlists, band/concert t-shirts, exchanging CDs) so I wonder if we will get to see other ways of enjoying a shared hobby together.

Aka waiting for the day when Mitsuki will take Aya to a concert and/or something like this happens

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I mean, if you guys want to discuss about it thats fine but at least to me wlw/yuri will always mean "2 or more female characters that are romantically &/or sexually involved"

Edit: and yeah im by default assuming the characters in question know the other is a woman

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 8:18PM

joined May 13, 2022

AHHHHHh It's so cute! The build-up is so well done too! The way she really wanted to see Aya's face, and Aya's reaction are just <3 <3 <3 <3

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

FluffyCow posted:

Nobody here really wants to be in the business of determining what is or isn't fitting the criteria of a Yuri (or related) tag. It's not an easy or straightforward determination in most of the cases in which it matters. So, I wouldn't expect any further changes to the current setup of Yuri, Yuri Crush, and Subtext until and unless other terms become more widely-used than they are today.

Noctis posted:

You guys doubt this will be yuri bc the author said so

I doubt this will be yuri bc aya has a crush in a "dude"

We are not the same.jpg

Xd

lol, well done.

last edited at Jun 26, 2022 10:05PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.