Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Cdc4f8204600edbf52fb0f34f39b246a~2
joined Jun 27, 2018

I only now realized Aya gave Mitsuki her number but as far as I know hasn’t even asked for Mitsuki’s name yet

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I only now realized Aya gave Mitsuki her number but as far as I know hasn’t even asked for Mitsuki’s name yet

She used all her game in giving the “guy” her number but forgot to check who the heck was the “guy” (name, AGE).
Starting to think Aya is not so bright…

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 1:45AM

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

can't blame Aya,she looks so cool

Tumblr_338965de880627681ecd916bc458a939_84d98ad7_500%20(1)-min
joined Feb 4, 2022

Did Mitsuki grow like six inches in height all of a sudden?

Does she always grow taller when she changes into work clothes? I hadn't noticed before...

Or is it the humid weather? Does she expand on wetting? lmao

Yeah I noticed that too. Arent they the same height?

I think Mitsuki's has been consistently shown as slightly taller.

Also posture can play a part, just look at the Character bio for Mitsuki.
At school, in trying to not stand out she kinda scrunches herself up, head down, bent knees, slightly stooped back... It may be possible to loose a couple of inches when compared to confident at work posture, standing upright, head up. Not perhaps as much as shown but that can be allowed for as 'artistic licence'.

Mitsuki has been shown to be a bit taller than Aya. And now that you point out that Mitsuki DOES tend to bend over a little/not appear as confident in school compared to her work self! I like this idea a lot

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I just noticed the hand squeezing Aya’s heart is Mitsuki’s

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I wonder if perhaps Aya has already realised that her crush is actually a girl, perhaps even from the very start.

nice catch!

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I wonder if perhaps Aya has already realised that her crush is actually a girl, perhaps even from the very start.

She still refers to her crush as a “he”, so not yet. But she’s pretty close to finding out.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I kinda hope not, I want the big reveal to come with a ton of gay panic for Aya.

nice catch!

Yeah! I had totally missed that detail, haha. Black fingernails sure give it away.

joined Mar 28, 2014

She still refers to her crush as a “he”, so not yet. But she’s pretty close to finding out.

I believe somebody mentioned above that she's using oniisan, which is not exactly he. Anyway, not really insisting on the idea even if it would match my perception of the story and characters a bit more, at least in so far.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I believe somebody mentioned above that she's using oniisan, which is not exactly he.

How exactly is that not exactly "he"?

joined Mar 28, 2014

I believe somebody mentioned above that she's using oniisan, which is not exactly he.

how exactly is that "he"? :)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"Onii-san" literally means "big brother", ergo "he". "She" would be "onee-san".

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

takachi posted:

As said above, it's an address to an older boy. Only.

If the author had wanted to stay ambiguous about what gender she thought Mizuki is, they would have used "that person" (ano hito), "that shop attendant", or something neutral. Japanese can go a long way without mentioning the gender of who you're talking about.

Here, clearly, she thinks her "oshi" is an older boy.

joined Mar 28, 2014

Yet she might have just put a label to that "in-store Mitsuki" as "おにーさん", just because that's how she saw Mitsuki as for the first time. And now she keeps calling so, in her mind, as a nick of some sorts. I'm not saying that's how it necessarily is. I'm saying it's possible.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yet she might have just put a label to that "in-store Mitsuki" as "おにーさん", just because that's how she saw Mitsuki as for the first time. And now she keeps calling so, in her mind, as a nick of some sorts. I'm not saying that's how it necessarily is. I'm saying it's possible.

I'm not saying it doesn't make no sense at all, but calling someone you know is a girl that seems highly unlikely.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Guys if Aya knew her crush was a girl we would have gotten a whole chapter of her gay panicking. The whole point of the clumsy gyaru in love arc she's going through is this...

Once she finds out she's interested in a girl she'll gay panic. This could be her falling for school Mitsuki, or this could be her finding out the store clerk is female without Mitsuki telling her. The moment the "onii-san" illusion is broken (***not like her crush is trying to make it a thing, Mitsuki is just androgynous), she'll start questioning her whole life like the disaster gay she really is.
If anything, the character bio we got last week makes it even more believable. She's never been interested in guys, and now that she is interested in someone she assumes it's a guy. Once she finds out it isn't, that it is an androgynous-looking female, babygirl will have an epiphany.

***Work Mitsuki never said "I am a man" (the "boku" she used once is not forbidden for females, I think) so the only thing making Aya believe it's a guy is her own conviction that she's straight.
"If I am interested in this mysterious individual, it has to be a man" (and/or she's just not familiar with the concept of tomboys)

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 5:12PM

Faye_valentine_2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Someday she gotta take that mask off right?? I wonder if she has a deep voice.

Pfp2%20(3)
joined Apr 26, 2022

it's the attention to detail that makes this manga such a 10/10 for me

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Did y’all notice that not only is Mitsuki wearing a Radiohead vintage T-shirt (with the Creep Single cover) but also handed Aya a The Velvet Underground hoodie?

She knows her stuff.

Source

joined Mar 21, 2017

Did y’all notice that not only is Mitsuki wearing a Radiohead vintage T-shirt (with the Creep Single cover) but also handed Aya a The Velvet Underground hoodie?

She knows her stuff.

Source

Those are some good catches.

Though unfortuneatly, Creep was really the only good song on that album.

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 12:53AM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Did Mitsuki grow like six inches in height all of a sudden?

Does she always grow taller when she changes into work clothes? I hadn't noticed before...

Or is it the humid weather? Does she expand on wetting? lmao

Yeah I noticed that too. Arent they the same height?

I think Mitsuki's has been consistently shown as slightly taller.

Also posture can play a part, just look at the Character bio for Mitsuki.
At school, in trying to not stand out she kinda scrunches herself up, head down, bent knees, slightly stooped back... It may be possible to loose a couple of inches when compared to confident at work posture, standing upright, head up. Not perhaps as much as shown but that can be allowed for as 'artistic licence'.

Mitsuki has been shown to be a bit taller than Aya. And now that you point out that Mitsuki DOES tend to bend over a little/not appear as confident in school compared to her work self! I like this idea a lot

she could be wearing different shoes that could give her an extra inch or so when she's at work.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

takachi posted:

As said above, it's an address to an older boy. Only.

If the author had wanted to stay ambiguous about what gender she thought Mizuki is, they would have used "that person" (ano hito), "that shop attendant", or something neutral. Japanese can go a long way without mentioning the gender of who you're talking about.

Here, clearly, she thinks her "oshi" is an older boy.

Technically "Kare" would be closer to "he" but, as that can also mean "boyfriend" in certain contexts, it's likely she feels too shy to use it

Onii-san is used more like "Young man" when referring to someone outside your family

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Just so you guys know, the author recently did an interview about this series. They posted about it today.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Just so you guys know, the author recently did an interview about this series. They posted about it today.

There was a discussion on it in the Discord server yesterday, one line in particular drew attention. The author said she would not call this manga "yuri", stating it is more a story about "affection/ friendship between girls". That said, there was some debate on whether she was talking about the story as a whole (including the parts not yet written) or if was she simply referring to the story so far and was expressing doubt as to where she would take it eventually.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

There was a discussion on it in the Discord server yesterday, one line in particular drew attention. The author said she would not call this manga "yuri", stating it is more a story about "affection/ friendship between girls". That said, there was some debate on whether she was talking about the story as a whole (including the parts not yet written) or if was she simply referring to the story so far and was expressing doubt as to where she would take it eventually.

I think the author said they wouldn’t put their work (this manga in specific) in the yuri box but they like working with the theme of women and women’s love. Not calling your work yuri doesn’t mean you won’t call it women’s love… I think. But yeah, maybe Aya and Mitsuki might end up as just being friends and that wouldn’t make the message of the story of them bonding over music any less wholesome.

Btw, I will only mention this once again and leave it at that to not cause drama: there is a discord for people interested on this manga, where a bot updates us whenever the author tweets. If you’d like, come hang out. But this ain’t a plot to destroy the forum, it’s COMPLEMENTARY to discussing the story here. This ain’t a command, click the link if you want. It’s safe.

last edited at Jun 23, 2022 9:33AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.