Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i'm so happy to see lene and claire's backstory illustrated!
LITTLE CLAIRE-SAMA IS ADORABLEEE! and she was already so smart too
and claire-sama's mom......... oh lord

THEIR FIRST HUG!!!!!! ILLUSTRATED!!!!!!
and the new character some of us already know about.... i'm so excited, she's exactly how i imagined her

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Oof, Claire's mom is dead, that's rough buddy.

Also, Translator you have set my expecations high becuase considering the absolute falme wars that have happened because of Lene, I wonder what is this character going to do.

Thanks for translating the chapter.

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 6:26PM

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Spice in the familyyyyyy

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 6:44PM

Pfp5
joined Dec 6, 2021

Although not as well delivered as the novel, it still made me shed tears. My favorite part of it in the novel that was not included was Rei's narration saying, "People are far more complicated than a book or a game can ever really depict. And I love that about them."

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 6:55PM

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

I'm sorry, Appalachia???

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

And this arc has finished! Looking forward to what's coming next.

My comments as a Light Novel reader (spoilers in case you wanna swap to the LN some day)
This is a moment I've been looking forward to for a while now. And honestly, I feel the manga kinda lets it down. Lene and her brother were much more sympathetic in the Light Novel as unwitting accomplices blackmailed into betraying the people they loved, rather than mostly willing participants who didn't quite think things through (that's not to say they weren't entirely innocent in the LN ). But this moment also felt so much more bittersweet LN, because you felt they weren't entirely being fairly punished. Claire crying into Rei's arms felt more emphasized and it ending on a less mysterious note. Either way, I'm gonna keep reading.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Although not as well delivered as the novel, it still made me shed tears.

I think the manga really did this scene justice, much better than I figured it would. I guess the rest of the adaptation is going to be a bit more emotionally hard-hitting than I thought!

I'm sorry, Appalachia???

Yeaaaahhhh... supposedly there's some website web novel writers pull from with western-sounding names on it. They basically go there and pick names that sound cool or relevant, there's absolutely no bonus meaning or relation at all to the actual Appalachia. This is also why you'll see weird overlap like "Bauer" (and maybe others?) appearing as a country in Ascendance of a Bookworm. Repetitions of weirdly specific, not-quite-sensical names

And boy howdy, I feel like there might be some collective amnesia floating around. Every character, ability, and event in this story acts as a cheap plot device to crowbar the story along, be a convenient excuse to shuffle impossible to deal with characters/situations around, or add some weird drama. It's one of series' charm points. Aonoshima's adaptation does a great job of making it all feel more natural

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 8:05PM

Pfp5
joined Dec 6, 2021

Although not as well delivered as the novel, it still made me shed tears.

I think the manga really did this scene justice, much better than I figured it would. I guess the rest of the adaptation is going to be a bit more emotionally hard-hitting than I thought!

The manga really did, I like it for different reasons than the novel. I just really like Rei's first-person narration in the novel and wished a bit that it made it more into the manga, though I understand that it is really hard to incorporate this element to a comic form, and one of the advantages a novel has over manga.

Both are enjoyable in different ways, I just wished that my favorite Rei quote from that scene made it into the manga though.

joined Jan 3, 2020

And this arc has finished! Looking forward to what's coming next.

My comments as a Light Novel reader (spoilers in case you wanna swap to the LN some day)
This is a moment I've been looking forward to for a while now. And honestly, I feel the manga kinda lets it down. Lene and her brother were much more sympathetic in the Light Novel as unwitting accomplices blackmailed into betraying the people they loved, rather than mostly willing participants who didn't quite think things through (that's not to say they weren't entirely innocent in the LN ). But this moment also felt so much more bittersweet LN, because you felt they weren't entirely being fairly punished. Claire crying into Rei's arms felt more emphasized and it ending on a less mysterious note. Either way, I'm gonna keep reading.

I mean... as both an LN reader and a manga reader, I feel like they were incredibly lucky to live. Hell, even in modern society they would be lucky to get anything but life in prison.

They tried to destroy a school and destabilize a government on behalf of a foreign country (blackmail or not doesn't change those facts). This isn't just a medieval society being unreasonable in its punishment.

Let's not forget that in both versions the brother rigs that wand that covers an unwitting innocent in 3rd degree burns. They ruined lives.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

I snorted at the credit page. XD that's what I feel while reading the LN. I get to love her in the end tho. She's the reason Rei stand on her ground and not just watch Claire's love life on the sideline.

last edited at Apr 28, 2022 10:05PM

JustMyFeelings
joined Feb 25, 2022

Ch.20
I can't wait to have my heart crushed by this arc. The purpose of the upcoming arc is to let the mc realize that she needs to fight for her love and not just stay by her side labeled as a "friend/maid/classmate/rival" and try to be Claire's "lover"

joined Oct 12, 2017

This website has me so desensitized to incest that I legit didn't even think about it. I am peeking at the comments because I was surprised by the last chapter's credit page.

Were people really that upset? If Lene or her brother had been wee little beans who were being taken advantage of I'd understand, but they're grown adults?

Either way, it's over. Forward march ~

joined Apr 6, 2021

Lmao how tf are her parents gonna die from a carriage accident like that!? Like two horses can’t create enough velocity to have a great enough impact for death! And it looked like they collided head on as well so even if they were each going 60km/h each, there would have been more than enough cushioning from the horses colliding with each other to lessen the impact! And the carriage rolled over anyway so the only way they would’ve died is if they got crushed which is unlikely considering they were inside and the carriage is still intact, they somehow got trapped and starved which didn’t happen, or they were flung in such a manner that resulted in breaking their necks or something which is plausible but very unlikely. God damn lazy writing

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 2:14AM

joined Feb 2, 2019

Lmao how tf are her parents gonna die from a carriage accident like that!? Like two horses can’t create enough velocity to have a great enough impact for death! And it looked like they collided head on as well so even if they were each going 60km/h each, there would have been more than enough cushioning from the horses colliding with each other to lessen the impact! And the carriage rolled over anyway so the only way they would’ve died is if they got crushed which is unlikely considering they were inside and the carriage is still intact, they somehow got trapped and starved which didn’t happen, or they were flung in such a manner that resulted in breaking their necks or something which is plausible but very unlikely. God damn lazy writing

They were on the edge of a steep cliff

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Ok I take back what I said before, the goodbye is now MUCH better than what I remembered reading it from the web novel. I also like the extra backstory they added.

On the other hand, oh god. HER......

joined Feb 21, 2019

well, at least the dumb incest characters are gone, can move on from that. Hopefully never see them again.

Though boy they got off real easy, like the brother straight up burned people and the two were aiming to destroy a school and all that. Sure it was blackmail, but actions still have consequences.

seems like the upcoming character is not liked, boy this manga seems to want to make it hard to keep with it after how good the early chapters were.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

ara ara~ butch princess is coming to light a fire on rei’s useless ass

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

seems like the upcoming character is not liked, boy this manga seems to want to make it hard to keep with it after how good the early chapters were.

She is the (pseudo) love rival turned into ally. She is also the catalyst that pushes Claire and Rei to become a couple. I personally like that she kicks rei’s ass, both mentally and physically

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 7:32AM

Miku
joined Feb 27, 2016

Whew, Manaria looks like a bishounen. No wonder Claire thought she was a he

Also for those who are not aware, in Claire's POV, it shows that Lene's brother was brainwashed.

That hug though (screams internally)

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 10:28AM

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

If Claire's mom is any indication of how Claire will look when she's older, then omg! Rei certainly knows how to pick em. The flashback imo was well executed, bittersweet and handled well, tho I feel the LN is still superior. I got the feels all the same and smol Claire was so cute! Looking forward to the next arc

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 12:59PM

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

I forgot to put this in the end chapter notes but there's no chapter next month, they take a break every 5 chapters to compile them into volumes so the next chapter should be out sometime between June 18th - June 25th

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

I'm a tad disappointed, I liked this arc but I think the light novel handled the windup better. As for the reasons, I'm not gonna repeat what Lysilya already explained very well; just read the spoiler-texted part of her comment, she put it better than I could have.

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

God, Claire is so cute.

664cf739-1617-40c1-9f8a-ab01b71652f9%202
joined Sep 28, 2021

Is that Manaria I see? LEZ GOOOOO. One of my fave recurring characters. I'd let em take me out. Maybe with sword. XD

last edited at May 1, 2022 12:14PM

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

Man, Lene was a perfect being and then INCEST.
But if that message from the author on the last chapter is anything to go by, OH NO

To reply you must either login or sign up.