Forum › Brides of Iberis discussion

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This might end up being awful but for now I'll follow it

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Can't say I'm too wildly interested in this one so far. Both female leads feel like they're gonna end up kinda shitty people to me, or they're going to try and "justify" it by making their boyfriends shitty despite their initially pleasant demeanors. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't want this to turn into a guy hate fest just for "the yuri".

To be fair 90% of real people are shitty people and that likely includes you and me both. Everyone is the hero of their own story. They just don't seem to realize they are the villain in somebody else's.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

From the same author as Octave, omg we are blessed. This looks like a great slow burn, I thought the drama would be that she would cheat straight away but it looks like it's going to be a long game kind of deal, I love this

I'm all about this kind of trope so yessssss

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Awa-kun is so done with your shit. XD

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

Can't say I'm too wildly interested in this one so far. Both female leads feel like they're gonna end up kinda shitty people to me, or they're going to try and "justify" it by making their boyfriends shitty despite their initially pleasant demeanors. I'll keep an eye on it but I don't want this to turn into a guy hate fest just for "the yuri".

To be fair 90% of real people are shitty people and that likely includes you and me both. Everyone is the hero of their own story. They just don't seem to realize they are the villain in somebody else's.

Let's not excuse shitty behavior with the "well everyone else is shitty too" thing. If the shoe were on the other foot and the dudes were the cheating assholes, everyone would call it out. We all know why we're here and all know what this story is and that's why we're reading. We wanna see the drama, the yuri and fallout of the relationships but let's not defend cheating. A good talk between the m.c. and her fiance's about her feelings can probably solve alot of their issues, but no one's reading this for that. We're here to see shitty people being shitty.

last edited at Mar 21, 2022 4:49PM

joined Jul 23, 2019

The name of this series seems to say that these brides are "indifferent", which is the main meaning of iberis flower in "flower language".

Thx for explaining about iberis. I didn't know it was a flower.
When I saw the title my first thought was "ok so it's a story about brides in Spain!" lol

Let's not excuse shitty behavior with the "well everyone else is shitty too" thing.

What if we excuse it with the "well everyone is a fictional character and shitty behavior makes for strong stories and great fun so bring it on" thing?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The name of this series seems to say that these brides are "indifferent", which is the main meaning of iberis flower in "flower language".

Thx for explaining about iberis. I didn't know it was a flower.
When I saw the title my first thought was "ok so it's a story about brides in Spain!" lol

Let's not excuse shitty behavior with the "well everyone else is shitty too" thing.

What if we excuse it with the "well everyone is a fictional character and shitty behavior makes for strong stories and great fun so bring it on" thing?

Yeah, the whole "excuse" thing for fictional characters is pretty beyond the scope of my understanding. Of fiction, anyway.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I read it and all I really want to say is Haru still got it and this is gonna be a great thread. Thanks for all your work, Rehashed. Beautiful stuff.

Lilification posted:

Anyways, I support women's rights and women's wrongs. Especially women's wrongs. Love me some women who are absolutely awful.

Good to see we're still on the same side!

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Hello, translator here.

I removed the Cheating tag and replaced it after finishing chapter 2, because it's not cheating after all.

Enjoy.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

If this series brings us the best depiction of poly on the site and it's Het I'm gonna scream.

Also I hope Awa-kun doesn't fall for anyone in this, he's a cool dude.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

If this series brings us the best depiction of poly on the site and it's Het I'm gonna scream.

Taken the words right out of my mouth

joined May 18, 2021

yoooo i'm glad it's polyam (and there are a few yuri ones on here, like the camera club one)

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Story gives me bad vibes, so I'll be very caution with checking it out. Will probably not really follow it.

malibus88 posted:

Since this is well know retarded cheating lover kind of author of what we remember being done in Octave, we can bet both girls will sleep with guys around before settling for each other in end configuration or something.

Good to know you didn't understand Octave at all.

Most people who liked Octave didn't understand it either, since the only translation available was pretty bad.

I read it in Japanese and personally, I thought it was trash. It was the story of a very narcissistic person whose idea of what she deserved clashed with reality, resulting in her being self-absorbed and selfish. That's not a bad premise in and of itself. The problem is Yukino never faced the consequences of her actions. For example, when she cheated, she was forgiven right away because Setsuko blamed herself. We can argue whether Setsuko was to blame or not, but it doesn't change the fact Yukino got away scot free. And it's exactly because of that reason that she didn't grow as person until the very end. When the author tried to sell us on the idea that Yukino had finally grown the fuck up, it ended up feeling forced and unearned.

And that’s what stories are, folks—blame games. If someone acts badly and isn’t punished sufficiently, that’s a bad story. And if someone suffers disproportionately according to the amount of “blame” they have earned, that’s a bad story.

I’m not sure what the relative quality of the translation has to do with the apportionment of blame and punishment required to be meted out to fictional characters whose behavior one disapproves of. Even we stupid readers who accepted the available translation and liked the story could see that Yukino cheated and yet somehow was not forced to endure the emotional equivalent of wearing sackcloth and ashes.

You're missing the point. The story was shit not because Yukino was an asshole and got scot free. That's not what I meant. The problem with the writing is the Akiyama did mean for Yukino to get character growth but he didn't provide the heavy-lifting for that to feel earned. That's why having a character face the consequences of their actions is important. It's not a matter of morality. It's a matter of narrative internal logic. If a character doesn't face the consequence of their actions, the narrative can't justify their personal growth properly. And that's what happened with Yukino. Her character growth at the end feel forced rather than a logical consequence of her character journey.

Of course this isn't a problem if you don't intend your character to get any character growth. Statics characters are a thing. And if there is no growth, there is no need for the heavy-lifting required to justify that growth either. But that's not where Akiyama was going with Yukino.

As for this manga, it seems way better than Octave already. Mostly because the characters are openly shitty people. THIS type of a story is all about how deep the rabbit hole can get. I like that.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 3:23PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Kazu-kun posted:

As for this manga, it seems way better than Octave already. Mostly because the characters are openly shitty people. THIS type of a story is all about how deep the rabbit hole can get. I like that.

Actually, after reading chapter 2, I don't see anyone shitty anymore.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

the jury is still out, i don't trust female lead 2 yet if she is indeed trustworthy, we have the works of a p neat polycule on our hands, am excite :D

joined Oct 16, 2016

Seeing chapter 2 maybe the yuri tag should be removed completely from this work for now till it actually happens?
We have a woman who is in poly relationship with two guys and a woman who is with a guy for now.
Why tag it yuri?
Can we even call it slow burn yuri if we don't really know if author will ever go that way or if he for example will make the MC cheat with her male coworker instead next?
Only cause there are two adult women as MCs and they are with guys it doesn't make it yuri.
Maybe people should wait with tagging it yuri when something actually yuri related will happen first in it in actual chapter.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 4:08PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Okay crisis averted she’s just in an open relationship. That’s much more interesting to me than just another “bi woman cheats a lot” type of character

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Well....that certainly changes some of the dynamic here. Still curious to see how (or if) the two FMCs will end up together without everything going up in flames.

joined Jan 13, 2021

Thoughts on Ch2:

1- Akiyama is so good at conveying how turbulent minds work? The harder you try not to think about something, the more it pops into your head at awkward moments, and the more you try to repress thoughts you can't process, the more vivid they grow when they do surface at last, hence Kashiwai's increasingly more sensationalized visions of what was originally just two people making out in a dark alley, amplified by her morbid fascination with Tsuzuki.

2- I love how Tsuzuki's paradoxical effect on Kashiwai's mind comes across in the art, in that she often darkens panels as seen through Kashiwai's eyes, blurring out details, and yet is conspicuously bright herself, like a candle in a lightless room, both blackout and beacon for Kashiwai's flickering conscience.

3- Tsuzuki being in a poly arrangement is a very nice twist because there is literally no way this situation can move forward without being utterly hilarious. If it's a genuinely healthy setup with no dark secrets that also expands Kashiwai's horizons? Good rep! If it begins to collapse as Kashiwai goes from being an interesting plaything to someone who actually occupies top priority in Tsuzuki's mind? I get to enjoy all the delicious angst I came for! If Tsuzuki's just lying off her ass about the whole thing to fuck with Kashiwai? I will adore her more than ever for being the funniest cyclone that ever swept through town. If the husband objects to the polycule while Kashiwai is okay with it and maybe wants in? I hope Tsuzuki sics all her himbos on him. If the husband is okay with the polycule and joins in to get some of that sweet salaryman lovin' while Kashiwai looks on in bafflement? Greatest manga of all time, hands down.

4- Hiroki being a game dev made me cackle for some reason. Can you imagine chatting with this guy? "Oh yeah, I'm horribly overworked helping produce the next Final Fantasy, but for a Japanese company, the crunch isn't that bad, and oh, I'm in a polyamorous relationship and also about to get married to a woman I do not entirely understand who's currently in love with about 43% of our wedding planners." I would buy him a beer.

TL;DR- I genuinely cannot predict where this is going to go and hope it will make me feel like a swallowed a blender moving forward. Praise Akiyama Haru.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 4:34PM

joined Jun 11, 2021

ouuhhh this just got so much more interesting. if this is an actual healthy portrayal of polyamory im gonna go nuts please please please

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Good to know you didn't understand Octave at all.

Most people who liked Octave didn't understand it either, since the only translation available was pretty bad.

[snip]

I’m not sure what the relative quality of the translation has to do with the apportionment of blame and punishment required to be meted out to fictional characters whose behavior one disapproves of. Even we stupid readers who accepted the available translation and liked the story could see that Yukino cheated and yet somehow was not forced to endure the emotional equivalent of wearing sackcloth and ashes.

You're missing the point. The story was shit not because Yukino was an asshole and got scot free. That's not what I meant. The problem with the writing is the Akiyama did mean for Yukino to get character growth but he didn't provide the heavy-lifting for that to feel earned. That's why having a character face the consequences of their actions is important. It's not a matter of morality. It's a matter of narrative internal logic. If a character doesn't face the consequence of their actions, the narrative can't justify their personal growth properly. And that's what happened with Yukino. Her character growth at the end feel forced rather than a logical consequence of her character journey.

[snip]

I’d welcome a repost of this response in the Octave forum—we’re far enough off-topic for here already. (I’m still interested in the question of how the assertion “Most people who liked Octave didn't understand it either, since the only translation available was pretty bad” supposedly works.)

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 4:55PM

9a905fe6a22b0201f7ade2de48a73f8d
joined Jan 22, 2014

Well, that sounded an awful lot like a confession...

I feel the cheating tag will be more fitting then the polyamory on the long run. Somehow I doubt that its all sunshine and roses with that couple. Just wasn't the vibe I got.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Ok after reading ch 2 I'm even more excited for the next one since it's from Tsuzuki's pov

Loving the poly twist and I hope it's not a lie. Makes it a lot more unpredictable on where it's gonna go

Seeing chapter 2 maybe the yuri tag should be removed completely from this work for now till it actually happens?
We have a woman who is in poly relationship with two guys and a woman who is with a guy for now.
Why tag it yuri?
Can we even call it slow burn yuri if we don't really know if author will ever go that way or if he for example will make the MC cheat with her male coworker instead next?
Only cause there are two adult women as MCs and they are with guys it doesn't make it yuri.
Maybe people should wait with tagging it yuri when something actually yuri related will happen first in it in actual chapter.

I think this so far is way more yuri than some other subtext series/oneshots tagged yuri. I think it's fairly obvious the MC is interested in Tsuzuki in more than a platonic way (they had that almost kiss in ch 1). I think attraction to another woman even if they don't end up together should still be considered yuri.

Screenshot_1644496801
joined May 20, 2018

Wwahh it's nice. I don't want to judge anything, it's just 2 chapter and we have a long road to go. For now the MC is really interesting haha who the f imagine her female client when in bed with their boyfriend. The author make short-hair girl seem cheating at first, but now the MC is the one who "cheating" in her mind, not yet, but very likely will :) Can't wait for more chapters!

EmergentLurker
joined Aug 1, 2019

u dont get my point. also i don't comment for arguing. coz u just repeating what i said that yuri doesn't exist irl, only using ur own word. of course i can distinguish the fiction and rl, thats why i said "likely". u can read my guy? don't just get randomly insulted for no reason.

i have that thought because i already have watch some real life stories and they have that phase before they turn into les. for example, mostly they have het relationship before and coz of one of reasons i said before they turn into les. of course it dont have to be exact like this story, especially on the cheating part, which is why i said "likely" once again, u dummy. if u don't like i use my phrasing just use whatever words u like. ALSO, i dont say anything about lgbt coz i dont include male gay (or even male bi) and trans can have different reasons. u the one who bring that up.

one thing is that if u have experience that really opposite of what im saying, u can tell me something to proof me wrong. for example, if u born right away and become les, that way u can have a good argument if u real people yourself.

if u are a dude, than dont bother reply coz ur argument would not count, as i said before that i talked about likely yuri.

Here. A scientific article involving brain scans of homosexuals & heterosexuals showing neurological structure differences in the brain. If you understand the human brain in any capacity you'll understand from this that it's a hard coded neurological structure.

Knock it off with the gay choice thing. It's annoying and unscientific.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84496-z

To reply you must either login or sign up.