Forum › Yuri is Taboo to a Yuri Otaku discussion

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

From Watanabe's side, she'll just keep preventing Yoshioka from being yuri with another girl until she wakes up ten years later living together with Yoshioka in what everyone else perceives as a stable relationship.

I want this so bad

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Sadly, Watanabe wasn't Cinderella, and for that I feel I was robbed of something beautiful, but at least I got a dance scene, so it evens out.

So far I haven't cared for the other yuri couples because they feel a little bland, but I was really itnerested in whatever three-way relationship the president has with Akira and Imouto-chan. I hope we get a little more of them three together.

And as for Yoshioka and Watanabe, I can't say I'm super invested in them getting together, but I'm laughing a lot at the way their relationship is progressing. From Yoshioka's POV, Watanabe is a possesive and jealous girl who is super upset at the mere indication that Yoshioka is going to spend time with another girl... and she still fell for her!

From Watanabe's side, she'll just keep preventing Yoshioka from being yuri with another girl until she wakes up ten years later living together with Yoshioka in what everyone else perceives as a stable relationship.

I think Yoshioka is just worried about Watanabe. At least "for now". I'll read too much into the character and say that, considering how she handled her step sister's business, as well as how she deals with Watanabe, she just wants to "please" other people. Watanabe wants someone to do that yuri thing? Sure, doesn't seem like it would do some harm. I mean, considering how purposely cliche this story is, I don't think Yoshioka acts like she exactly fell for the other girl.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I think my main issue was how awful Watanabe has treated Yoshioka. Be it in her thoughts or not. Meanwhile, Yoshioka turned out to be this nice girl, a great sister, and overall a good person. All because she didn't fit with the narrative inside Watanabe's head. Now doesn't that sound familiar huh? Now I'm not sure if it's a clever setup or not, but if it was, bravo.

Regardless, this chapter was a nice step in the right direction. I just want to like Watanabe. I already like Yoshioka. Let me like the other protag.

Yeah Watanabe seems like a stereotypical "I like yuri because its pure, and its different from those gross real life lesbians" type of character (of coure with a big helping of internalized homophobia because she can't allow herself to be "yuri") and I hope that she gets a proper character arc where she learns to stop viewing everyone through that lens of "yuri manga roles". I think there's some potential for Yoshioka to have a big positive influence on Watanabe.

It's not internalized homophobia, it's an otaku stand cliche. She doesn't wanna be involved with the stars on principle, she is just a lowly admirer

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Man Yoshioka is such a good girl, always thinking about Watanabe. I hope Watanabe can see her as a person instead of a character soon... seriously.

She sees herself as a character

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I think my main issue was how awful Watanabe has treated Yoshioka. Be it in her thoughts or not. Meanwhile, Yoshioka turned out to be this nice girl, a great sister, and overall a good person. All because she didn't fit with the narrative inside Watanabe's head. Now doesn't that sound familiar huh? Now I'm not sure if it's a clever setup or not, but if it was, bravo.

Regardless, this chapter was a nice step in the right direction. I just want to like Watanabe. I already like Yoshioka. Let me like the other protag.

Yeah Watanabe seems like a stereotypical "I like yuri because its pure, and its different from those gross real life lesbians" type of character (of coure with a big helping of internalized homophobia because she can't allow herself to be "yuri") and I hope that she gets a proper character arc where she learns to stop viewing everyone through that lens of "yuri manga roles". I think there's some potential for Yoshioka to have a big positive influence on Watanabe.

I'd say she doesn't even like yuri in general, just the very specific marimite corner of the genre. Which is pretty much the least grounded in reality and the least attainable of the bunch . Her ideal is 90% esthetics and 10% actual human emotions and desires.

Yes to all of this.

X
joined Mar 20, 2020

Progress

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So far I haven't cared for the other yuri couples because they feel a little bland, but I was really itnerested in whatever three-way relationship the president has with Akira and Imouto-chan. I hope we get a little more of them three together.

I mean, we really don't even know whether there are any other yuri couples, since all we can see for the most part are Watanabe's fantasies.

joined Dec 17, 2021

I mean, we really don't even know whether there are any other yuri couples, since all we can see for the most part are Watanabe's fantasies.

I wouldn't call them fantasies because Watanabe is reacting to things that are actually happening in front of her and of others. At best she is projecting romantic feelings in intimate moments between girls which is how I experienced marimite back then, and she tends to be right about her observations, like how she could see Nagomi was Akira's fated petit sour, or the whole deal with the ghost. Point is, yuri until proven ayuri.

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

I think that's what the artist is aiming for here- note we've seen no actual yuri so far in any of the souer relationships. I'm pretty sure this manga is explicitly intended to make Watanabe grow as a person neon just seeing things through yuri goggles. This last chapter pretty much proves it, imo, with the president actually telling Watanabe that she's essentially a character too. And I think Yoshioka is the perfect person to pull her out of this shell she's made for herself and show her exactly that.

I don't know, that's just me. I don't love Watanabe, but I don't hate her the same way most people here seem to. Maybe because that's how I've seen the manga from the beginning...I've never thought it was just going to be about her staying some crazy yuri fangirl. She's a flawed character, sure, but the fun is in watching her grow, and I honestly can't wait to see how that pans out. She's clearly already starting to see Yoshioka a little differently just based on her reactions- I think it's more that she's kind of given herself a mental block (hence the title), but her body and heart are clearly on a different page. I think the main part of this manga will deal with Watanabe learning to get past that and really see herself and others as more than characters in a manga.

LittleWhiteHerz
Kohanenomintense2
joined Jul 21, 2020

I don't know, that's just me. I don't love Watanabe, but I don't hate her the same way most people here seem to. Maybe because that's how I've seen the manga from the beginning...I've never thought it was just going to be about her staying some crazy yuri fangirl. She's a flawed character, sure, but the fun is in watching her grow, and I honestly can't wait to see how that pans out. She's clearly already starting to see Yoshioka a little differently just based on her reactions- I think it's more that she's kind of given herself a mental block (hence the title), but her body and heart are clearly on a different page. I think the main part of this manga will deal with Watanabe learning to get past that and really see herself and others as more than characters in a manga.

Same tho. Right now i don't super like Watanabe, but i definitely wanna ser her growth. I wanna see more of her besides her crazy-for-yuri side, she seems like a quite nice character lol.

2cf46f4b-7fe0-40b6-8205-d03934ba2a1f
joined Sep 21, 2020

That’s quite the hot take, can’t say I agree with it considering she’s fantasizing about real people in her world, her desire to not be involved isn’t internalized Homophobia, she literally sees herself as a side character who’s only allowed to observe it all, as someone who’s also not that interested in personal romantic relationships I can relate to her a bit.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Watanabe is basically a META AS FUCK case study in defunct reality/fiction filter.

Remember kids - never go full otaku.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

i dont know about "no actual yuri, just her projections", Unless the whole "youre their cupid" deal is auditory fangirl hallucination but that seems to kinda indicate things might roll for her fantasies... idk

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

If she only had even one yuri loving friend! They would then say "jimiko x gyaru" (plain girl x flashy girl) yuri is classic (which she agrees with) so it's a betrayal of yuri to block it, even for her. I actually sympathise with her for not wanting the gyaru to change the school culture, but how to be honest about it? By the way, Byte has a sequel to "this plain girl's skirt will shrink" called Jimiko to Gyaru (Plainy and Gal) though i don't know if it's translated

joined Oct 11, 2018

Oh shit I think I fell in love with Yoshioka when she said she wanted to be with Watanabe

Pfp
joined Aug 12, 2017

Based gyaru

joined May 1, 2015

Watanabe better make Yoshioka happy.
Yoshioka even ditched her little sis for her.
That being said, I wonder what is Watanabe's first name.
Yuri?

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

The lillies are definitely blooming now for Otaku-chan ;-) Yoshioka is pretty darn lovable after all, it's only a matter of time.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 4:46PM

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Yoshioka sure is fast, buying some tickets right under Watanabe's nose

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

SPEED

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The long-awaited rise of gyaru x plain.

But poor Miku has been entirely forgotten...

That being said, I wonder what is Watanabe's first name.
Yuri?

Assuming this is actually a serious question, Fuyu.

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 5:00PM

joined Dec 17, 2021

I'm glad for the progress between Watanabe and Yoshioka, they are cute together. I can also accept polyamory involving the ghost girl.

joined May 1, 2015

Assuming this is actually a serious question, Fuyu.

It was a joke question.
The author wasn't sure what about Watanabe's first name when working on the drafts.
Fuyu is also quite a nice name, it flows really well.

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

rip gyaru's sister.
you have been forgotten

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

rip gyaru's sister.
you have been forgotten

And thus there was two ghosts, jk

last edited at Mar 22, 2022 5:42PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.