Forum › Trying Out Marriage With My Female Friend discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

I don't mind a good slow burn, I really don't,

Looking at your posting history - I knew the nick looked familiar - I'm going to call [ dubious - discuss ] on this claim.

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I don't mind a good slow burn, I really don't, but tbh this manga just feels redundant, it's to the point I'm hesitant to read a new chapter cuz I know next to nothing is going to happen, it doesn't help that the chapters feel really short.

I mean, it goes with the territory right? The premise of this series is two friends have decided to actually follow through on the age-old “if neither of us are married by age xx let’s get married”. The fact that one has what appears to be an unrequited love [at the beginning] for the other just adds to it. I’m not going into this expecting a fast tracked romance. This is paced about what I expected from the premise.

last edited at Mar 11, 2022 2:02PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I think supportive smooches would also be good. Just saying.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Cute little kid BTW.

10374935_1517148091919036_8454058064875083431_n
joined Apr 7, 2021

Too much fluff it's blinding me >

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I don't mind a good slow burn, I really don't, but tbh this manga just feels redundant, it's to the point I'm hesitant to read a new chapter cuz I know next to nothing is going to happen, it doesn't help that the chapters feel really short.

I mean, it goes with the territory right? The premise of this series is two friends have decided to actually follow through on the age-old “if neither of us are married by age xx let’s get married”. The fact that one has what appears to be an unrequited love [at the beginning] for the other just adds to it. I’m not going into this expecting a fast tracked romance. This is paced about what I expected from the premise.

Plus I mean they are growing closer bit by bit, trying to learn more about each other and so fourth. Finding various ways to communicate, and in this chapter specifically finding ways to be supportive.

Personally I think it's just lovely and I'm enjoying the build up, and when it slides more into a romantic angle it will feel really satisfying with how the author has built up the characters and their relationship.

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

The lack of fawning over Ruriko kills me. Why is no one fawning over Ruriko with me.

joined Oct 27, 2018

My problem with this manga isn't the lack of them making our or whatever, like I said I don't mind a good slow burn. Problem is this one, and many like it, don't really bother to replace that lack of romantic progress with anything, full of chapters where not much of anything happens, it doesn't even have to be romantic, just something.

joined Jan 6, 2017

My problem with this manga isn't the lack of them making our or whatever, like I said I don't mind a good slow burn. Problem is this one, and many like it, don't really bother to replace that lack of romantic progress with anything, full of chapters where not much of anything happens, it doesn't even have to be romantic, just something.

I mean, almost every chapter stuff has been happening, including this one

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Hello!!!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean, almost every chapter stuff has been happening, including this one

Yeah, this is a classic YMMV situation--for one reader "nothing" happens, while for another the slow, slow dance of making connections/backing off/realizing feelings/ignoring or misinterpreting them is very satisfying.

I'm fine with it. 'Cuz they're cute.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

TBF, we're only 15 chapters in. This is very early still into the story, I wouldn't say it's been THAT slow relatively speaking. Things are only getting started.

last edited at Mar 11, 2022 8:26PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Yeah, this is a classic YMMV situation--for one reader "nothing" happens, while for another the slow, slow dance of making connections/backing off/realizing feelings/ignoring or misinterpreting them is very satisfying.

I'm fine with it. 'Cuz they're cute.

I'm okay with slow burn romance. Really, I am! Even if our mcs forever keep deepening their friendship, simply trusting each other, caring for each other and feeling blessed that they have each other, I won't complain. I'm fine with stories about communion between girl pals. It's a nice, heartwarming bond.

This notion posited, I have something more to say. If these two ever look at each other with passionate eyes and then kiss and feel a surge of ardent lust for each other, I'm going to SQUEE so hard and loud the birds all around the block will get startled and fly off.

Just to make things clear.

11143587_983945991615710_6019435042284427906_n
joined Jan 29, 2015

I don't know when will these two will kiss but I'm gonna fucking die of heart attack if that finally happens. I really am a sucker for slow burn yuri xD

joined Mar 26, 2021

So where this manga even going with the plot. Im reading this and at some point i enjoy it, it's nice but there is already that... Idk making me a bit bored

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

So where this manga even going with the plot. Im reading this and at some point i enjoy it, it's nice but there is already that... Idk making me a bit bored

My guess would be that the direction is headed towards them not only being legally married but romantically together as well. Along the way, they are going to learn what it takes to live with someone and be partners, not just roommates. I actually find it pretty interesting to see what new experiences and hurdles the author will put this new pair through as they grow and develop. I’m really hoping that it doesn’t end with them just being lovers but that we get to see the happy couple times too.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Yeah that's what I got too. Honestly I'm pretty happy and fine with the glacial pace. It's cute, they're being cute. I don't need much more from a healing manga

Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

motivation ^100000000

joined Feb 1, 2021

The lack of fawning over Ruriko kills me. Why is no one fawning over Ruriko with me.

She's very good

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

bath bath bath bath

joined Apr 6, 2019

bath bath bath bath

Your case is brilliantly made, your logic is clever and sophisticated and your arguments are rock solid. I have nothing to object and wholeheartedly join you in your rallying cry.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I saw a take somewhere that Usui Shio's works are love stories that kind of strip the usual conventions of those relationships out and then build them back up piece-by-piece. You might even call it "love without romance," though that implies that it's not romantic, which I don't think is necessarily true but I'm struggling for a better way of saying it. It's more like...you're removing all the baggage and assumptions from the relationship and then having the characters discover them one a time. "Love BEFORE romance." Which kind of explains the slower pacing, because you're unspooling all these feelings and examining them one at a time. ("I want to help support her! Oh, her family is my family. Why does it make me so happy just to spend time with her!?" It's because of luuuuuurve, you adorable dummies)

EDIT: It also occurs to me as you could see this manga as being about an arranged marriage (where the arranges were the couple themselves), which gives some context to how they have this relationship that hasn't quite built up the intimacy that marriage requires. And then the story is about them building that intimacy.

last edited at Mar 13, 2022 7:42PM

joined Sep 11, 2019

Things are going slow and steady
Very nice.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Not one, but two new "XD"s from Usui Shio, what a treat

last edited at Apr 6, 2022 6:20AM

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Why arent they holding hands in the last panel. There was supposed to be a heartwarming hand hold at the end. WHERE IS IT?

To reply you must either login or sign up.