Forum › Your Scent is a Little Sweet discussion

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

I just love it when ABO stories comment sections devolve into how people hate ABO rather than talking about the story itself.

/s

last edited at Feb 25, 2022 7:52AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Well…things are certainly about to get awkward at work for her.

joined Oct 12, 2017

I'll keep an eye on this one. So far the author seems to be setting up a "resisting who you genuinely are/internalized x-phobia" kind of story? Not a huge fan of ABO, mostly as it usually centers around men and having the "socially accepted masculine man" rape the "weak and effeminate man" for x contrived reason, but we'll see how this goes.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Ooh, I really like where this is going! A sympathetic portrayal of the struggles an alpha might experience sounds really cool, and mostly unexplored. It's gotta be kinda scary to not know if you'll lose control and maybe hurt someone or something, and the way it portrayed temptation was really accurate, so I have high hopes for the author's abilities to properly represent emotions and stuff.

Consider me invested!

joined Dec 17, 2021

I just love it when ABO stories comment sections devolve into how people hate ABO rather than talking about the story itself.

/s

Indeed. But that's why it's important to express your love for it too.

I love it when the focus is on the Alpha's fear of becoming a beast, and it's a nice detail that she's feeling like this since she was six years old because of her parents shitty relationship.

I also enjoy the whole losing control during heat/rut thing, but I think it must have been very hard to resist for Tang Chao since it was the first time she ever felt like that.

joined Oct 26, 2016

My personal opinions on it is that the concept of having sex go along multiple axes is potentially a lot of fun, and I'd like to read stuff that takes that in interesting directions, but I'm usually not willing to sift through a ton of mediocre smut to get there.

Sure, a universe having multiple axes for sex would be interesting. However, the omegaverse doesn't have multiple axes.

Alpha ruts for impregnation. Omega heats to be impregnated. Alpha marks omega. Omega is marked by alpha. Betas have none of that which implies that they can be anything. But in practice, because they don't have the binary alpha omega characteristics they end up just replacing one or the other. A neutral, middle state which can swing either way but always within the standard binary.

Since alphas initiate and omegas receive, it implies a dominant to submissive alpha-beta-omega ordering. Same old line spectrum.

I feel it would be more difficult to write a story that breaks the set binary in the omegaverse compared to real life since characters have literal biological mechanisms that encourage them to keep to their assigned role.

However, I'm sure not all alphas are dominant and not all omegas are submissive. Honestly, a modern omegaverse society would have drugs or medical procedures to control or remove heats, ruts, etc... just so people can live life without bothersome animal mating instincts that distract from day-to-day productivity. That would be more interesting than a standard abo relationship; a couple can choose whether or not to spend a month together off the pill to experience the natural abo bonding experience with each other. Plus you'd have much less rapey stuff and that's always a good thing.

In the end though, fans read abo for the abo dynamics. They enjoy the binary, the dominant alpha over the submissive omega or beta. Stories with interesting dynamics in the omegaverse will just get swamped by the standard abo relationship and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

joined Apr 10, 2021

In the end though, fans read abo for the abo dynamics. They enjoy the binary, the dominant alpha over the submissive omega or beta.

I have seen some amount of this on pixiv, since I have some small amount of guilty pleasure (guilty because it is very creepy in many ways, as mentioned) about it, and also a genuine "I'm kind of fascinated by this socially peculiar thing that people are into - it piles a trillion fetishes on top of one another and people think or pretend that it has interesting things to say about gender dynamics or whatever" - "academic" interest on it.

On that note, I stress that it isn't just "normal" binary dynamics, people also do really enjoy the fact that from our perspective (using quotations here when talking about aboverse) a "woman" can be an alpha and a "man" or another "woman" can be an omega.
This is very, very popular in east asia, I let you imagine the social reasons that might make that to be the case. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, I'd think that some people esp. there are just very into the idea that a woman (without quotations, talking from our perspective) can dominate and impregnate a man. Or a man another man. Or woman to a woman. In ABO world, "men" aren't the only ones to dominate the world, alpha "women" can also do that since there doesn't seem to be any difference - I've seen a story where 5 omega-bullying beta men ran from one alpha woman in terror. This probably genuinely feels empowering to some, despite or regardless of how rapey it is. There's a lot of our-world yuri in this site and everywhere with very clear "this girl is the man" and "this girl is the wife" as if nothing changed in any dynamic with same gender relationship, after all.

Also, I have no clue if there's some level of "official" ABO canon, but most stories I've seen people HAVE drugs they can take to suppress their instincts or pheromones. Realistically, we absolutely would though also realistically that world would look very, very different to ours after 200,000 years of abo dynamics, and society might or might not be on this technological level or anywhere close to it.

last edited at Feb 26, 2022 4:53PM

Fishbowl%20man
joined May 6, 2018

Had to google this and now I'm reading about knotted dicks. What even...

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Had to google this and now I'm reading about knotted dicks. What even...

THIS,this is among the cringe ABO has.

This,alongside the Goddamn "Alpha male men",wouldn't even be real if the wolves were termed correctly.

The only good thing to eventually come out of it are Sigma memes.

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

This manhua is definitely taking the politics of omegaverse in a radically different direction from most stories. Usually alphas are analogous to men and omegas to women, with all the dominance and submission socially induced in our world instead biologically wired so that readers can fetishize women completely giving up their power as their "true", "natural" state. Most often, in the bodies of men, because this is for straight women sexualizing what they're afraid of, but not wanting to direct it onto their own bodies. In this story, though, those motivations don't really apply. Alphas aren't privileged, they are discriminated against for their lack of control-- the opposite of real world patriarchy. It's seems more like the underlying idea is internalized homophobia, hiding from your desires because they make you less socially acceptable. That's a much more common trope for lesbians and speaks to what's already written about in yuri. Of course, it still falls into accepting your inherent biology and not being allowed to choose your conscious urges instead, which gets... a bit gross, if you think about it.

Lcwgnwr
joined Jan 4, 2022

Yesss i was starving for some yuri omegaverse

/s

Right, makes it worse when people who hate something that’s tagged, talk about how much they hate it like just avoid it lol that’s why it’s tagged.

Primeval Revenant
joined Jun 16, 2019

/s

Yup. There is literally a tag for it. You know what you're going in for. And yet they still go in and go on a rant. Rather pathetic how much a concept they hate holds space in their minds.

Story is going an interesting direction for now, will watch and see where it goes.

Duck%20gamer
joined Apr 30, 2020

oooh i am so excited for this... i feel like i've been starved for omegaverse content on here

joined Dec 22, 2021

"Your secondary sex typing still hasn't manifested itself?"

what is a secondary sex typing?

She is already an Alpha so is that referring to male/female?

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

"Your secondary sex typing still hasn't manifested itself?"

what is a secondary sex typing?

She is already an Alpha so is that referring to male/female?

Isn't it the other way round? She's already female, so that is referring to her being alpha.

I'm not well-versed in ABO stuff at all, but Wan Que says, "It's been three years since you turned alpha" and she answers, "I can't even imagine going into rut". So the secondary sex would be alpha/beta/omega and it hasn't manifested itself since she hasn't seen any changes since becoming alpha (no attraction to omegas, no rut etc.). That's my guess at least.

Img_20210903_230019_067
joined Aug 2, 2020

Maybe I can try to ignore all this ABO omegaverse stuff, because the story is kinda nice. I wonder...

Rin
joined Apr 1, 2014

Can someone explain, are both now betas? Or is one of them alpha and the other omega? I don't get it really. I don't understand ABO universe explanation anyway

joined Oct 22, 2021

This manhua is definitely taking the politics of omegaverse in a radically different direction from most stories. Usually alphas are analogous to men and omegas to women, with all the dominance and submission socially induced in our world instead biologically wired so that readers can fetishize women completely giving up their power as their "true", "natural" state. Most often, in the bodies of men, because this is for straight women sexualizing what they're afraid of, but not wanting to direct it onto their own bodies. In this story, though, those motivations don't really apply. Alphas aren't privileged, they are discriminated against for their lack of control-- the opposite of real world patriarchy. It's seems more like the underlying idea is internalized homophobia, hiding from your desires because they make you less socially acceptable. That's a much more common trope for lesbians and speaks to what's already written about in yuri. Of course, it still falls into accepting your inherent biology and not being allowed to choose your conscious urges instead, which gets... a bit gross, if you think about it.

A bit interesting, but also a bit against the fun of omegaverse I guess? Even if I don't "like" the rapiness, it is interesting in its own way, in how it's not how the real world

Can someone explain, are both now betas? Or is one of them alpha and the other omega? I don't get it really. I don't understand ABO universe explanation anyway

They aren’t Betas. It’s a little confusing because they are both hiding what they are. The blonde is indeed an Omega that she slept with the previous night because she had gone into heat (the Omega) so she was giving off pheromones and was craving to be with an Alpha. Somehow, Tang Chao(the Alpha) had never gone into a ‘rut’(equivalent to Omegas being in heat) before and thus has never before felt compelled to have intercourse with an Omega. Until they met each other. They are both hiding what they are.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Excuse me,glands?

That just increased the cringe factor for sure.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

A bit interesting, but also a bit against the fun of omegaverse I guess? Even if I don't "like" the rapiness, it is interesting in its own way, in how it's not how the real world

I don't know if it is, necessarily. The "fun" of omegaverse stuff doesn't have to be, and isn't usually, the systems of oppression that exist in it. Normally those come off as things the authors put in there without much attention out of a sense of obligation, with the setting coaxing all their internalized heteronormativity out without their mediation.

It can play with the core fetishes of Omegaverse by having a socially powerful person want or need or protect the weaker person (again, fantasy patriarchy moment), but it can also do stuff like this, where there is discrimination and those desires need to be suppressed and bottled up until they explode.

So yeah. idk there was one other thing I was gonna say but I forgot it

joined Dec 17, 2021

First time I see glands mentioned in an ABO story so I have no idea what MC is supposed to be looking for, but I asume blonde girl is hiding them, somehow.

It's clear blonde girl is pretending not to know MC, and that makes me excited for a possible confrontation.

Also, I find it relatable how MC isn't sure the other girl is the same one she slept with. Not because of the sleeping part, I just can't remember people's faces.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Soooooo...... blondie is a tsundere?

7a067e9e6fb1c92210174e64e9f1e23d
joined Jun 19, 2013

'd think that some people esp. there are just very into the idea that a woman (without quotations, talking from our perspective) can dominate and impregnate a man. Or a man another man. Or woman to a woman. In ABO world, "men" aren't the only ones to dominate the world, alpha "women" can also do that since there doesn't seem to be any difference - I've seen a story where 5 omega-bullying beta men ran from one alpha woman in terror. This probably genuinely feels empowering to some, despite or regardless of how rapey it is. There's a lot of our-world yuri in this site and everywhere with very clear "this girl is the man" and "this girl is the wife" as if nothing changed in any dynamic with same gender relationship, after all.

It's late so this might be a bit rambly.

For me, it's not about the rapey stuff. It's that in ABO-verse, alpha women have dicks and can (usually) be masculine without repercussions. For me as an nb butch, that's actually hitting my gender euphoria. I read a lot of f/f ABO (and g!p) and it's really the only time I've felt like I've seen myself in fiction.

I really feel like even in many story dynamics where you have this girl is the man and this girl is the wife, it never really presents female masculinity as a real option, just an aping of het dynamics. One girl is more "tomboyish" than the other, but still acceptably within the bounds of femininity: they wear dresses at formal events, enjoy a bit of make-up now and again, etc. In ABO, it feels like that's not what it is, that it can be the protective, nurturing, soft parts of masculinity without being divorced from the rough and powerful (the sex).

First time I see glands mentioned in an ABO story so I have no idea what MC is supposed to be looking for, but I asume blonde girl is hiding them, somehow.

I assume pheromone glands, they're usually on the neck, In some stories betas can produce pheromones as well, but this story seems to be going for alpha/omega pheromones only.

To reply you must either login or sign up.