Forum › Your Scent is a Little Sweet discussion

joined Oct 22, 2021

This manhua is definitely taking the politics of omegaverse in a radically different direction from most stories. Usually alphas are analogous to men and omegas to women, with all the dominance and submission socially induced in our world instead biologically wired so that readers can fetishize women completely giving up their power as their "true", "natural" state. Most often, in the bodies of men, because this is for straight women sexualizing what they're afraid of, but not wanting to direct it onto their own bodies. In this story, though, those motivations don't really apply. Alphas aren't privileged, they are discriminated against for their lack of control-- the opposite of real world patriarchy. It's seems more like the underlying idea is internalized homophobia, hiding from your desires because they make you less socially acceptable. That's a much more common trope for lesbians and speaks to what's already written about in yuri. Of course, it still falls into accepting your inherent biology and not being allowed to choose your conscious urges instead, which gets... a bit gross, if you think about it.

A bit interesting, but also a bit against the fun of omegaverse I guess? Even if I don't "like" the rapiness, it is interesting in its own way, in how it's not how the real world

I don't know if it is, necessarily. The "fun" of omegaverse stuff doesn't have to be, and isn't usually, the systems of oppression that exist in it. Normally those come off as things the authors put in there without much attention out of a sense of obligation, with the setting coaxing all their internalized heteronormativity out without their mediation.

It can play with the core fetishes of Omegaverse by having a socially powerful person want or need or protect the weaker person (again, fantasy patriarchy moment), but it can also do stuff like this, where there is discrimination and those desires need to be suppressed and bottled up until they explode.

So yeah. idk there was one other thing I was gonna say but I forgot it

I expressed myself badly, as I wrote that post super sleepy.
What I actually meant, is that ABO gives an option for story beatts that in real world we these days recogninse as super problematic, but still many find titilating- see 90% of romance novels. It gives charactesr a pass for being drama queens (I'm in rut! I'm not thinking rationally!), possesive (I'm your alpha/beta), and also fulfills the promise of forever-partners (I believe that's what marking is, though not sure, I only know omegaverse from ocasional manga/manhua/manhwa).

Basically, it always feels a bit like an answer to people complaining about 50 shades of gray and its ilk. Though the post above me from the nb person gives a different perspective to my boring one.

Linterdiction
Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

For me, it's not about the rapey stuff. It's that in ABO-verse, alpha women have dicks and can (usually) be masculine without repercussions. For me as an nb butch, that's actually hitting my gender euphoria. I read a lot of f/f ABO (and g!p) and it's really the only time I've felt like I've seen myself in fiction.

I really feel like even in many story dynamics where you have this girl is the man and this girl is the wife, it never really presents female masculinity as a real option, just an aping of het dynamics. One girl is more "tomboyish" than the other, but still acceptably within the bounds of femininity: they wear dresses at formal events, enjoy a bit of make-up now and again, etc. In ABO, it feels like that's not what it is, that it can be the protective, nurturing, soft parts of masculinity without being divorced from the rough and powerful (the sex).

This is a really cool perspective, thanks for sharing!

I think fiction and worldbuilding that explores gender is super super cool, personally. I too have an atypical sort of gender, and I know this feeling, even if ABO isn't quite what makes it happen for me.

What I actually meant, is that ABO gives an option for story beatts that in real world we these days recogninse as super problematic, but still many find titilating- see 90% of romance novels. It gives charactesr a pass for being drama queens (I'm in rut! I'm not thinking rationally!), possesive (I'm your alpha/beta), and also fulfills the promise of forever-partners

Yeah, I think it's potentially a really cool way to like, locate things that people might resonate with safely in a fictional setting. It can be really fun when it's sort of overtly melodramatic and doesn't take itself too seriously.

last edited at Mar 2, 2022 5:25PM

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

For me, it's not about the rapey stuff. It's that in ABO-verse, alpha women have dicks and can (usually) be masculine without repercussions. For me as an nb butch, that's actually hitting my gender euphoria. I read a lot of f/f ABO (and g!p) and it's really the only time I've felt like I've seen myself in fiction.

In ABO, it feels like that's not what it is, that it can be the protective, nurturing, soft parts of masculinity without being divorced from the rough and powerful (the sex).

This 100%. F/F ABO, at least in my experience, is a lot more flexible about the dynamics between the Alpha and Omega than het ABO seems to be. Masculinity and femininity as they are in our society take less overt roles and are replaced by the secondary gender characteristics instead, which can feel really supportive especially when it comes to G!P stuff.

What I actually meant, is that ABO gives an option for story beatts that in real world we these days recogninse as super problematic, but still many find titilating- see 90% of romance novels. It gives charactesr a pass for being drama queens (I'm in rut! I'm not thinking rationally!), possesive (I'm your alpha/beta), and also fulfills the promise of forever-partners (I believe that's what marking is, though not sure, I only know omegaverse from ocasional manga/manhua/manhwa).

This is definitely true for all kinds of ABO, but a lot of the drama related to being an Alpha or an Omega can come with a lot of self-doubt and introspection about those roles, how the characters expect themselves or others to behave because of their roles, stuff like that. But you find that more in written fics probably than mangas etc.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Again, i can't blame MC for not being sure if blonde girl is the same woman she slept with, since there are plenty of my relatives I wouldn't recognize if we met on the street.

Waiting impatiently for the moment they get to talk properly/have sex.

LittleWhiteHerz
Kohanenomintense2
joined Jul 21, 2020

I'm generally not into omegaverse, but seems interesting for now so i'll keep reading lol.

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Best Friends was okay, and I'm not even into omegaverse.

This one seems interesting too.

joined Jun 9, 2018

I never liked this omegaverse thing. Another series of this kind is "BEST FRIENDS" which I didn't like either, I dropped it after a few chapters because it seemed like it had cheating, although I never found it.

Best Friends was okay

there was cheating???

last edited at Mar 13, 2022 7:13PM

joined Dec 17, 2021

I never liked this omegaverse thing. Another series of this kind is "BEST FRIENDS" which I didn't like either, I dropped it after a few chapters because it seemed like it had cheating, although I never found it.

Best Friends was okay

there was cheating???

What? No, there wasn't. You even said you couldn't find it.

The worst I can say about it is that it touches on some disturbing themes (the orphan Omegas being forced into prostitution once they reach the age of "no adoption for you") and never goes anywhere with it, so you're left wondering why the hell was it included in the first place. Ah, and that the only sex scene I found hot was the one not involving the leads.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Good for blonde girl, if MC wants to confirm if they had a one-night stand, she'll have to do it the hard way... asking her in private.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Thanks for the new chapter!
There might be a small mistake in page 7, last panel. The text says "Who would have known that Miss Li would be such a busybody?" but it should be "Miss Tang" since Li Zhixu is the one telling that to Tang Chao.

kenkyokitsune Uploader
Xiao
The Golden Orchid
joined May 4, 2021

Thanks for the new chapter!
There might be a small mistake in page 7, last panel. The text says "Who would have known that Miss Li would be such a busybody?" but it should be "Miss Tang" since Li Zhixu is the one telling that to Tang Chao.

Good point. The raws actually do say Miss Li, but that's a mistake I think.

joined Dec 17, 2021

I just want them to keep touching each other, Tang's reactions are hilarious.

647d03d7d32d7f4e7776be9ce8bb60f8
joined Dec 21, 2021

omG I have no idea how I would react to this lmao-

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Two chapters at once! Yay!

Suddenly, the characters multiply. I wonder if Zhu Ci had a romantic relationship with Zhixu's big sister?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

What I am bothered by is that hat the manager lady (Ming?) hasn't taken off for two chapters, even when eating at an ostensibly informal dinner. My current theory is that she is actually a catgirl who conceals her ears under a hat.

last edited at May 15, 2022 1:27PM

joined Dec 17, 2021

Tang is very cute, I wonder if the readhead is an Omega pretending to be a Beta.

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Best Friends was okay

there was cheating???

Nope.

Theres one scene that's like super rapey and I didn't like that part. In the story they covered it up saying it happened because the alpha was in heat or something. It felt wrong regardless. Then suddenly they started dating and forgot that happened lol

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Tang is very cute, I wonder if the readhead is an Omega pretending to be a Beta.

Plot twist: no one is a beta in a company that only hires betas lol.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

A monstrous regiment, huh?

last edited at May 18, 2022 8:40AM

joined Dec 17, 2021

I have absolutely no memory of making that first post, but I stand by this. Silver-hair girl is an Alpha, loli girl an Alpha and hat girl an Omega, Red-head an Omega and childhood friend an Omega too. Blonde girl's sister is probably an Alpha.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Das a lotta eggs

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Hmmm. Next time the wife and I disagree, a basket of eggs will ameliorate things!

joined Jul 21, 2020

Hmmm. Next time the wife and I disagree, a basket of eggs will ameliorate things!

Lol what a gift. How many dozens of eggs in a basketful anyway?

I wish the chapters were longer. Thanks to the translators and editors!

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Every time I see characters using their phones in the bath I get so anxious, why would they do thaaaat?
Also, that was a LOT of eggs XD

joined Dec 17, 2021

Honestly with how much food cost has been raised, I'd love it if everyone would apologize to me with a basket full of egss.

To reply you must either login or sign up.