Forum › Your Scent is a Little Sweet discussion

deltahalo241
Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

You could say she put all her eggs in one basket

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Best friends had a top alpha and bottom omega

Couldn’t get into that one, I lost interest when the alpha raped her and then the manga kept trying to convince me that it was the omega’s fault and she was the bad one for trying to leave. And then tried to convince me that the omega being angry at the alpha “irrationally” for putting her in vulnerable positions when she was younger muddied the waters somehow.

That’s my problem with ABO. Sometimes it’s fun. Sometimes it makes it really easy for people to justify r*pe and put systems of oppression in their fic and then cape for them.

Best friends was my first introduction to ABO and after the rape scene, I was completely turned off by the genre, aside from the fact that the whole scenario in general is so fucking weird. Then I looked at the history and some other stories and omegaverse immediately because one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen online. I hate when a new one shows up cause I’ll probably read it out of morbid curiosity because they genuinely make me sick

This made me want to check the series out just to see what a clusterfuck it was. And wow…. That sure is a lot of rape and I’m not sure the author is aware that’s rape. I like Yandere’s, but only when the story is sufficiently aware that the character is a psychopath.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

You could say she put all her eggs in one basket

This.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

They're all gonna be alphas and omegas. Lololol

joined Mar 20, 2012

Source if you want to see the next few chapters in chinese: https://manga.bilibili.com/m/detail/mc30857?jump_from=reader

I don't understand anything but hey it looks pretty.

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Source if you want to see the next few chapters in chinese: https://manga.bilibili.com/m/detail/mc30857?jump_from=reader

I don't understand anything but hey it looks pretty.

You can use Google Lens to translate (of course, It's an imperfect translation, but you get some of the meaning lol)

Me_avatar_smaller
joined Aug 4, 2018

This one seems to be going really good so I'm excited for next few chapters :eyes:

(On note about ABO, I personally find the whole "creepiness" is what makes the whole 'verse so good? Like it's really bad irl yeah, but that's why it's so enjoyable in fiction)

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Crookshanks the MVP.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Big <3 for rescue cats!

joined Dec 17, 2021

This one seems to be going really good so I'm excited for next few chapters :eyes:

(On note about ABO, I personally find the whole "creepiness" is what makes the whole 'verse so good? Like it's really bad irl yeah, but that's why it's so enjoyable in fiction)

It's the same for me.

I see why it puts people off, but I do enjoy ABO stuff for the lack of consent and "my heat made me do it" stuff.

joined Dec 17, 2021

Well, so far we've had late night apology egg baskets, and an art-exhibition rescue. Far from what I thought would be our scenes in an ABO manga.

But I'm not complaining. I mean, bless Best Friends, but I can appreciate that the story is setting up situations things for Chao and Zhixu to become involved in each others' lives outside of just modeling, and not just coming up with 35 different ways they can have sex because their forgot their suppressants.

joined May 23, 2017

I can't get over the lending of panties LOL like is Tang Chao now wearing Zhixu's sweaty panties or is she baring it all now. Gonna be so nasty too if they didn't flipped it around. Unless they had extra panties

joined Dec 17, 2021

I can't get over the lending of panties LOL like is Tang Chao now wearing Zhixu's sweaty panties or is she baring it all now. Gonna be so nasty too if they didn't flipped it around. Unless they had extra panties

Yeah, I chose not to dwell too much on that. Unless Zhixu just meant her bra.

Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

She's wearing Tang Chao's clothes...
I assume that Zhixu left her medication at home so I hope something happens in the next chapter

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

But I'm not complaining. I mean, bless Best Friends, but I can appreciate that the story is setting up situations things for Chao and Zhixu to become involved in each others' lives outside of just modeling, and not just coming up with 35 different ways they can have sex because their forgot their suppressants.

Best Friends is ABO with a plot

whereas this story is a plot with ABO

I've caught up with the raws and I'm pleasantly happy with the progress. Beach scenes are the best.

joined Apr 16, 2022

This is a great way of putting it. So far in this story the ABO has barely even mattered aside from a justification for the leads falling in love at first sight. Not that I'm complaining, it's been fun, but "light and fluffy ABO" does feel like an oxymoron lol.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I really miss this story, and hope they can translate more chapters soon!

joined Oct 2, 2021

Finally, time to eat them eggs.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

This is a great way of putting it. So far in this story the ABO has barely even mattered aside from a justification for the leads falling in love at first sight. Not that I'm complaining, it's been fun, but "light and fluffy ABO" does feel like an oxymoron lol.

Maybe what we are seeing now is a "mainstreamization" of the ABO/omegaverse concept? As far as I understand it, it had begun as a niche fetish based on a popular misunderstanding of animal relationships, but as more authors encounter it, it starts losing its focus on non-consensual sex and becomes just another New Weird setting to write stories in. Since the number of authors and readers who are into light and fluffy plots is much higher than that of those into animalistic rape fantasies, the number of works that focus on relationships and plot over ABO will similarly increase as more and more people discover it. It's all just a hypothesis at this point, though.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I hope they don't finish the eggs until the end of the manhua. The eggs are an important symbol!!

Maybe what we are seeing now is a "mainstreamization" of the ABO/omegaverse concept? As far as I understand it, it had begun as a niche fetish based on a popular misunderstanding of animal relationships, but as more authors encounter it, it starts losing its focus on non-consensual sex and becomes just another New Weird setting to write stories in.

Interesting hypothesis. I will say that, while I thought it was incredibly dumb when I first heard of it, the more ABO works I read (exclusively yuri though lol) the more I think it is a rather fascinating concept. The alpha/omega distinction is basically a way to literalize and intensify the oppression of women under patriarchy, and so along with the potential for light and fluffy romances like this manhua (where the premise is that patriarchy is already in retreat), it's also fertile ground for some rather brutal dystopias if you take the concept to its logical conclusion. Well actually a lot of ABO works such as the aforementioned Best Friends are already dystopic, they just usually don't really directly confront just how much the world sucks. But a cyberpunk-ish ABO story where the main plot is to overthrow the Alpha hierarchy has the potential to be really interesting.

last edited at Sep 16, 2022 8:04AM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Maybe what we are seeing now is a "mainstreamization" of the ABO/omegaverse concept? As far as I understand it, it had begun as a niche fetish based on a popular misunderstanding of animal relationships, but as more authors encounter it, it starts losing its focus on non-consensual sex and becomes just another New Weird setting to write stories in.

Interesting hypothesis. I will say that, while I thought it was incredibly dumb when I first heard of it, the more ABO works I read (exclusively yuri though lol) the more I think it is a rather fascinating concept. The alpha/omega distinction is basically a way to literalize and intensify the oppression of women under patriarchy, and so along with the potential for light and fluffy romances like this manhua (where the premise is that patriarchy is already in retreat), it's also fertile ground for some rather brutal dystopias if you take the concept to its logical conclusion. Well actually a lot of ABO works such as the aforementioned Best Friends are already dystopic, they just usually don't really directly confront just how much the world sucks. But a cyberpunk-ish ABO story where the main plot is to overthrow the Alpha hierarchy has the potential to be really interesting.

Yeah honestly I prefer this outlook on it lmao. I dunno if it's mainstreamization when stories can explore the setting in more varied ways with more themes when the original "theme" was just "I wanna draw noncon and need an excuse"

Usually when I think of a setting/concept like this going mainstream, I think of a dumbing down of its themes and concepts. It becomes more about the setting and less what the setting can say. I'm thinkin' Cyberpunk, mostly, as my example here.

Though this is all ENTIRELY based on the previous post. I've not read very many Omegaverse stories that really made me think "wow they're exploring this in a great way, saying some good things here", most really do just feel about the sex.

joined Aug 14, 2022

everyone is so hot

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

Maybe what we are seeing now is a "mainstreamization" of the ABO/omegaverse concept? As far as I understand it, it had begun as a niche fetish based on a popular misunderstanding of animal relationships, but as more authors encounter it, it starts losing its focus on non-consensual sex and becomes just another New Weird setting to write stories in. Since the number of authors and readers who are into light and fluffy plots is much higher than that of those into animalistic rape fantasies, the number of works that focus on relationships and plot over ABO will similarly increase as more and more people discover it. It's all just a hypothesis at this point, though.

ABO finds its origin, like all of modern fanfiction itself, in Star Trek. Specifically in Kirk x Spock fics, because in startrek Vulcans go into "Pon Farr" aka heat/rut. ABO is a result of people taking that already existing dynamic and turning it into a more universal variant that could apply to almost any setting(and therefore any ship).

I have no idea why the writers of star trek chose to have Spock go into rut, but we all have to live with the consequences of that decision.

I've personally never really had any issues with encountering noncon/dubcon in any ABO I've read(at least not between the protagonists), but I'm starting to think I've just been very lucky, so I can't really say if it going mainstream has anything to do with it. Based on what I've heard about it though it does sound like straight ABO is more rapey than sapphic ABO, so that might have something to do with it too. All though that doesn't explain what others have mentioned in this thread.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I've personally never really had any issues with encountering noncon/dubcon in any ABO I've read(at least not between the protagonists), but I'm starting to think I've just been very lucky, so I can't really say if it going mainstream has anything to do with it. Based on what I've heard about it though it does sound like straight ABO is more rapey than sapphic ABO, so that might have something to do with it too. All though that doesn't explain what others have mentioned in this thread.

From what I've heard, straight and BL omegaverse do indeed have far more rape/dubcon than sapphic omegaverse. The yuri Best Friends manhwa (which I actually do like as an extremely guilty pleasure) seems to be how it tends to work, with the heat/rut concept being used to "justify" both the Alpha's rape and the Omega's enjoyment of being raped ("I was in heat/rut and couldn't control myself").

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

ABO finds its origin, like all of modern fanfiction itself, in Star Trek. Specifically in Kirk x Spock fics, because in startrek Vulcans go into "Pon Farr" aka heat/rut. ABO is a result of people taking that already existing dynamic and turning it into a more universal variant that could apply to almost any setting(and therefore any ship).

I have no idea why the writers of star trek chose to have Spock go into rut, but we all have to live with the consequences of that decision.

I didn't know that, thank you for the historical reference. :-)

To reply you must either login or sign up.