Forum › My Sister's Friend discussion

D8nmo9pwwaaygjd
joined Sep 3, 2019

aaaaand straight into the garbage it goes

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

Well, with Run Away With Me Girl and this, I think I've come to the realization that I love Battan's art but her stories are just steeped in a type of drama that's not my cup of tea. I quite like lesbian drama more along the lines of So Do You Want To Go Out where there are other female love interests and maturity/communication issues creating conflict, and not so much lesbian drama that relies so much on men to provide a background for the drama (cheating, divorce, "settling" on straight relationships, etc) like Battan's works have so far. I could see how this could be entertaining for other readers, though.

last edited at Nov 9, 2021 10:55AM

Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

And dropped. That's a really shitty thing to do to that guy. Don't drag someone else into your world if it's only going to be unhealthy and toxic. That guy doesn't deserve the fuck around he's probably going to receive in the future.

I get that the majority of stories on Dynasty are yuri and probably most of the readers are some sort of LGBTQ, and likely identify as female, but not all of us are, and some of us, me personally, have gone through situations like this. It's not cute, it's not cool, and in fact it's very painful when you get thrown away because the other person in the relationship was too scared to face reality. That's the thing that never gets talked about in stories like these. What about the guy who gets thrown away for no reason other than he happens to be a guy in a yuri story? Like some faceless schmuck who is nothing more than collateral damage for a plot device. Who cares about the guys feelings when it's yuri, right? Fuck this story.

Aad1217ee03a84ae2f55ba2988d97f47
joined Nov 9, 2021

LMFAOOOOOSJSHJSJSJSHHAHAHAHAHHAHS bro it's a fucking teenager figuring out what the fuck is going on with her calm the fuck down goddamn

joined May 4, 2020

Didn't think manga could read like poetry, but here we are.. that last page of chap 4 gave me a few chills.. really goodgood.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

This must be the most confusing manga that I have ever read. I do not mean bad plot, I mean I do not find any sense ine main arc, let alone the minors... Its all drama. Something like this would be OK in a one-shot, even one chapter is more than enough. And I still cannot figuring out who the three MCs are. They all were drawn similarly, facial expression hard to tell. etc etc etc. So in addition to being confusing, it is also frustrating. I wasted my time on, thankfully, four episodes. I do not care for fifth, or beyond it
It is one of those confusing ones you will not bother, or worse, never think of "Oh yeah! I wonder what happens..."

last edited at Nov 9, 2021 4:45PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I also have a hard time identifying the characters. Is this a different minor couple or is this how this the earlier years of the couple that gets married in chapter 3? My memory is usually pretty good, but I find myself forgetting character names a lot here.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Just read the title. It's 3 years later. Ruriko is 17, when she was 14 in chapter 1.

And there aren't that many characters that you'd get lost. And no, they are not drawn "similarly".

Kyouko (black hair)
Nacchan (long light hair)
Ruriko (short hair)

I understand that people are frustrated that it wasn't a yuri end, but I think it was a really good manga. It depicted the complexity of love and how to deal with heartbreak. The author made use of Japanese poetry in chapter 4 to hint at the tangled feelings of Ruriko (symbolized by black hair), when she couldn't accept that she had been in love and that this love had ended. Both the poems read by Kikuchi are tanka poems about love. The lesson in class cites "The tales of Ise", a collection of poems and the one the teacher talks about is from someone declaring his love.

I get the impression that the author used a very subtle Japanese way to express feelings and relationships, but it's lost on most non Japanese readers who only see a drama about being dumped.

I get that some want happy stories about happy yuri couples, but others are able to appreciate the way a story is woven, even if the ending isn't what they'd hope for.

last edited at Nov 9, 2021 6:32PM

joined Mar 30, 2020

There’s one more chapter left right? I really hope it focuses on Kyouko because she’s the only character I care about right now, I wish she could get a girlfriend and be happy.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Didn't think manga could read like poetry, but here we are.. that last page of chap 4 gave me a few chills.. really goodgood.

I feel you.
I love this manga so much.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

cookiecutter posted:

Well, with Run Away With Me Girl and this, I think I've come to the realization that I love Battan's art but her stories are just steeped in a type of drama that's not my cup of tea. I quite like lesbian drama more along the lines of So Do You Want To Go Out where there are other female love interests and maturity/communication issues creating conflict, and not so much lesbian drama that relies so much on men to provide a background for the drama (cheating, divorce, "settling" on straight relationships, etc) like Battan's works have so far. I could see how this could be entertaining for other readers, though.

Totally cool to have your own preferences, Battan's stories surely aren't for everyone. However...I don't think this and Run Away With Me are comparable, much besides the mixing of yuri and het. The men here aren't used for drama at all; co-worker is a character all his own, and the student is a reflection for Ruriko to gain a stronger understanding of herself and her experiences. The primary drama in this series is character drama, and it's fully centered around Kyouko and how she makes the people around her feel. This same story could work with no het at all, and the beats could be identical.

We'll see what chapter 5 brings, though!

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

honestly gotta thank the mods and staff for bringing quality stories regardless of its eventual reception by the masses. It's these kinda situations where people gotta learn that some things in life are not made for them to be the target audience. I definitely think the depiction and storytelling is a lot more subtle and complex than how it's being received. A general broad statement would be that it's a really good story about developing love and getting over love from different perspectives and how different people deal with different things. Some run away, some try to ignore it, some drown in it, and eventually, everyone moves on in their own way whether that be to a happier or sadder or just apathetic state. All about growing up and dealing with humans who also have feelings and issues of their own. Some people just deal with things differently. Something one person can accept, another cannot.

joined Apr 29, 2018

all i see in this story is "love is garbage and doesn't really worth the effort" well, quite realistic anyway.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 10:39AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

all i see in this story is "love is garbage and doesn't really worth the effort" well, quite realistic anyway.

I'm not sure how a story about how there can be a mismatch between people's feelings and where they are in their lives, or how people can be conflicted about what they want, necessarily adds up to "love is garbage."

Well, it's an ethos, I guess.

joined Apr 29, 2018

I'm not sure how a story about how there can be a mismatch between people's feelings and where they are in their lives, or how people can be conflicted about what they want, necessarily adds up to "love is garbage."

it ends up as "love is garbage" because at the end everyone is miserable BECAUSE they fell in love and if that wasn't the case things would have been better for them. they were perfectly fine and love ended up screwing them particulary the last one, i think it was ruri? who ends up dating somene she doesn't love and force herself to actually like him. showing how in real life love is just garbage just pick some random person and "move on" with your life by closing your eyes so that you don't feel the pain and emptiness anymore. as for the others some of them put efforts to try and make it work... pointlessly because at the end it didn't bring them anything good. i don't know if you've noticed but love didn't bring a SINGLE good thing to those persons. if only despair and sadness. it just show how love is a waste of time and energy in a very realistic way. as always a good work from this author. can't wait to see more

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 11:56AM by OrangePekoe

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

it ends up as "love is garbage" because at the end everyone is miserable BECAUSE they fell in love and if that wasn't the case things would have been better for them. they were perfectly fine and love ended up screwing them particulary the last one, i think it was ruri? who ends up dating somene she doesn't love and force herself to actually like him. showing how in real life love is just garbage just pick some random person and "move on" with your life by closing your eyes so that you don't feel the pain and emptiness anymore. as for the others some of them put efforts to try and make it work... pointlessly because at the end it didn't bring them anything good. i don't know if you've noticed but love didn't bring a SINGLE good thing to those persons. if only despair and sadness. it just show how love is a waste of time and energy in a very realistic way. as always a good work from this author. can't wait to see more

Well, that would be true if one assumes that every individual story is meant to teach a global moral about the fundamental principles of how the world works.

If instead you think of stories as depicting individuals having individual experiences in circumstances specific to them, it comes off rather differently.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

This chapter sure stressed me out

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Bad with colateral heartbreak?

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

It'd say this was an interesting read atleast. You can't really compare it to the last series the artist made but it feels very real since a lot of time you'll find bittersweet crushes you've had as a kid. Seeing different points of views was fun but I hope there's something similar to this with longer chapters.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

Kind of an anticlimactic ending, but overall an interesting story.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Cute story with an appropriately cute ending.

joined Mar 30, 2020

What an ass ending jfc. I want to feel bad for Nacchan’s husband but he decided to stay with her despite knowing she had feelings for someone else. As for Nacchan she’s the only character I can say I dislike, Kyouko and Ruriko did drag other people into their issues but at least they realized they were wrong and let those people go. Nacchan on the other hand is being plain unfair to her husband and the way she left Kyouko was also quite unfair. From the start and till the end she remained self centered and selfish.

snoopy_from_peanuts
Tumblr_mrfzgkpani1rzp26no5_250
joined Aug 11, 2021

A really cathartic read that made a lot of good points about how relationships transition and change and the goals of happiness and comfort shift as people continue to engage with each other. I feel like no one really ends on a negative note despite how they might be feeling about things like how Ryuunosuke would rather focus on Nacchan's immediate happiness with him than his own minor gripes or how Ruriko and Yamabuki are still pretty close friends despite what happened. I think at this point I'm just rambling but it was a thoroughly enjoyable and pretty down to earth series. Good little read between longer ones.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I suppose I went into this thinking it was going to be something like "Run away with me girl" and it really wasn't but not in a bad way. it this is really all then I'd say I'm happy about that because this story works better as a short one, saying what it had to say and and knowing when it's done saying everything

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 8:52PM

joined Dec 18, 2020

It was nice, can't help but compare it to "Run Away With Me Girl" since it's from the same author, and yeah this work is a bit weaker imo, but I enjoyed it and would like to read it again in the future.

Thanks a lot for translating.

last edited at Nov 10, 2021 8:59PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.