Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I really appreciate all the subtle edits from the novel, like Relaire being more in the picture and all that. It really is a fresh experience reading the manga even after having finished the novel.
Also must restrain myself from commenting anything on the speculations about Claire's fate :D

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The more I read this, the more I like it. I like to see more manga were lesbians flip the script, on het stories.

On a unrelated note has anyone ever thought to translate a manga, and add their own humorous commentary Rifftrax/MST3K style. I don't know how the copywrite laws work but I can't imagine it's too much different than fan fiction rules.

Well, I mean, "fanfiction rules" is literally 'It's all illegal but the rights holders turn a blind eye because it mostly helps their business"

A fan translation with the original work contained within would definitely interfere with sales, so they'd probably go after it.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Rei out here making extra money...for Claire?? Is she foreshadowing something?? Either way, Claire was so f##king cute this chapter!

Not having read the original novel, my impression is that Rei is covertly putting down layer upon layer of safety nets for Claire to survive once the commoners inevitably rise up and start guillotining the nobles left and right.

Considering the setting is supposed to parallel a romance game about three princes, I'd be kind of surprised if there's a proletariat uprising.

The game is called "Revolution"

That, plus all the heavy foreshadowing about the commoners enjoying far fewer rights and privileges than hereditary nobility, is what makes me think of a popular uprising. Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

last edited at Sep 28, 2021 7:43AM

joined Jun 6, 2021

Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

Bear in mind that the writers of the games upon which this story is based and the author of the novel have a fuzzy understanding of the whats and whys of Westerner revolutions.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Also, I do not think that it will be a proletarian uprising, since the setting does not really sound like it's undergoing an industrial revolution to form a substantial industrial working class. Instead, considering the time period it seems to emulate (late 18th century), the revolution of the title will likely be led by the bourgeois middle class (which are called "commoners" in the story). Hence why I used the term "guillotine" and not, say, "chekas". :-)

Bear in mind that the writers of the games upon which this story is based and the author of the novel have a fuzzy understanding of the whats and whys of Westerner revolutions.

I am pretty sure that even in the West, most authors and general audiences are pretty fuzzy about whats and whys of our own history. :-)

joined Jun 6, 2021

I am pretty sure that even in the West, most authors and general audiences are pretty fuzzy about whats and whys of our own history. :-)

But the question at hand was of what sort of revolution to expect.

In the novel, the revolution establishes a welfare state; it is evident that the author doesn't understand the course of revolution in the Age of Enlightenment.

last edited at Oct 1, 2021 7:41AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

The more I read this, the more I like it. I like to see more manga were lesbians flip the script, on het stories.

On a unrelated note has anyone ever thought to translate a manga, and add their own humorous commentary Rifftrax/MST3K style. I don't know how the copywrite laws work but I can't imagine it's too much different than fan fiction rules.

Well, I mean, "fanfiction rules" is literally 'It's all illegal but the rights holders turn a blind eye because it mostly helps their business"

A fan translation with the original work contained within would definitely interfere with sales, so they'd probably go after it.

Really. That's a shame. I think it would be pretty funny too riff manga and anime.

joined Jan 14, 2020

But the question at hand was of what sort of revolution to expect.

In the novel, the revolution establishes a welfare state; it is evident that the author doesn't understand the course of revolution in the Age of Enlightenment.

Valid criticism if the goal were to closely recap Western Revolutions. But it's not like the ideas weren't out there, cf. Thomas Paine, or English Poor Laws.

joined Jun 6, 2021

Valid criticism if the goal were to closely recap Western Revolutions. But it's not like the ideas weren't out there, cf. Thomas Paine, or English Poor Laws.

The poor laws weren't effected by revolution, but by something of an anti/counter-revolution (much like Bismark's creation of the modern welfare state). And Paine was embracing ideas from later in the French Revolution after it had undergone the revolution of aristrocrats against the monarch, after it had undergone the liberal revolution of the middle class against the aristocrats, and was then heading (with Paine oblivious) towards a technocratic dictatorship whose base of support was in the proletariat. The novel is simply oblivious even to the conceivability of liberalism.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Really. That's a shame. I think it would be pretty funny too riff manga and anime.

I don't remember the name of the site of the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure it'd be against the rules to post it, and I think they've restructured anyway so this feature was gone last I checked, but there used to be a manga website where the users could post little messages on the pages, basically wherever you want. You could turn it on or off, so it wasn't an impediment to reading, but it let people slap down immediate reactions and jokes responding to pages in real time while they were reading, with the context of the image right there, and it was pretty damn fun.

The overall effect was very reminiscent of MST3K.

last edited at Oct 3, 2021 6:59PM

joined Aug 31, 2021

OK, I'm only partway through reading this right now but I need to make this very important comment before I forget: the chess match at the beginning of chapter 6 is completely implausible. First of all, the board flips sides from page 6 to page 7, then again from page 7 to 8. Secondly, the white king vanishes from the f2 square on page 7, before reappearing on the next page. Third, the queen on c1 changes from black to white between pages 7 and 10. Fourth and most importantly, the position is clearly not checkmate - white can still play Bxf6 or Ke2 (or Ke1 if we assume the c1 queen is actually supposed to be white, though that seems unlikely). Finally, I know Rei's not trying her best here, but how did no one else in the room notice that she blundered her queen? (And what kind of "trap" could Rodd have been setting up that depended on that?!) Anyway, thanks for coming to my TED talk, I'll get back to fawning over the cute lesbians now

edit: oh no, there's another chess match in the same chapter. thankfully they don't finish, but we can see straight away that they set up the kings and queens the wrong way around (which tbh i can accept as being their own mistake). And I'm fairly certain that Qf4 is not a legal move for Claire here either way, Yuu. (Even if she could put her queen there it'd be a bad move, sacrificing her bishop for no apparent gain.) Yuu also seems to be getting ahead of himself with his own analysis, since they're only on move 5 by my estimation. But thank god, they quit the game and move on to poker after that, a game which I mercifully don't know jack about.

last edited at Oct 22, 2021 4:06AM

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

^^^^ this is exactly the kind of oddly specific yet interesting commentary i visit the forum for

joined Jun 21, 2021

Fun chapter, crazy to think we’re already at this point in the story, I really can’t wait to see the rest of the novels fully drawn out. Definitely a fresh experience that compliments the light novels well.(I know the princes flame troop powers were not at all how they looked in my head when they finally got to that point in the manga lol)

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

I wonder if the first night chapter and the other bonus chapters will get drawn and stuff?
Or is it just gonna be the main story?

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

I wonder if the first night chapter and the other bonus chapters will get drawn and stuff?

i hope we can see them....i'm really curious about the first night chapter and other bonus chapter

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

oh no,a trouble...

joined Aug 21, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_favor_the_villainess_ch15_1#24
Typo in the bottom right panel, "al!" should be "all!", I think.

last edited at Oct 25, 2021 2:25AM

joined Apr 8, 2021

Lmao it's gonna be like that trope where the kiss gets interrupted by a phone or somethings, but it'll be an angry mob of peasants with guillotines instead.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Yuri Hime likely only has rights to the visual novel, which did not have the NSFW bonus material. You never know, though.

And ye gods, what sort of dinosaurs were roaming around here? An aquatic t-rex with preying mantis pincers?! actually, can dinosaurs even be canon? I guess if they're contemporary monsters, but not if they're an earlier period/age?

Lmao it's gonna be like that trope where the kiss gets interrupted by a phone or somethings, but it'll be an angry mob of peasants with guillotines instead

It'll be The Spanish Inquisition and they'll be shouting "Confess! Confess!"

last edited at Oct 25, 2021 2:47AM

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

uh oh theyre mad now

joined Apr 6, 2021

Dammit why’d they have to spoil this series with cross dressing?

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

"Eat the rich" - Bisexual Community.

Seriously though crossdressing should be mandatory in everything.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

yuu in a dress yuu in a dress yuu in a dress

I loved the nice angst at the end, setting us up for Claire starting to fall for Rei but Rei stays lying to herself and insists she's fine with an unrequited love.

Also, a bit late to the party but in regards to types of revolutions As much as I enjoy this series I'll definitely say that the politics behind most of these things are pretty sketchy, Inori sensei seems to have a pretty (standard) myopic vision of politics that basically starts and ends with the modern japanese state. I'm still waiting for some solid anti-capitalist yuri, I know it's out there somewhere.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I think she's starting to realize she actually does like Rei

And is now struggling with the thought that they cant be together cause of class differences.

Yessssss yes gooood, BREAK DOWN THE WALLS

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_favor_the_villainess_ch15_1#24
Typo in the bottom right panel, "al!" should be "all!", I think.

Ah....

To reply you must either login or sign up.