Forum › The Marriage of the Onee-san I Admired discussion

LilyScentedBubbleBath
Img_20200913_125333_706
joined Sep 15, 2020

Ms. Girl found another Ms. Girl to both become Mrs. Girls. I hope the guy finds someone because he's just the sweetest. What a wonderful, wholesome story

Hqdefault
joined Sep 13, 2020

they had me in the first haft, not gonna lie

joined Jun 24, 2020

goshhh

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Interesting twist on the usual formula.

joined Nov 9, 2014

nice :D

joined Aug 15, 2018

Isn't SSM still not allowed in Japan?

joined Mar 19, 2020

Aww I love his face in the last page. It does well to portray that bitter sweet emotion I think.

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

I love it but while reading it I felt like I was in an alternate universe

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I looked up the original because I was confused: this translation is all kind of wrongs.

The girl MC is a teacher (they call her "sensei" on the first bubble, but somehow, it's not mentioned here).

On page 2, it's starting a flashback : the boy is in primary school.

The one who got mad was the MC's mother, when THE MC introduced her lover to her own parents.

Implying it was probably a girl even then!

It's never mentioned she ever was with a guy, so the bisexual tags stems from a bad translation.

The boy was just in an unrequited love from the start... no het here.

Blegh.

last edited at Sep 12, 2021 12:13PM

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

When I saw the tags, I was like "these tags together doesn't sit right to me" after reading the story, I was like damn, this dude is the real man. I've seen a lot of het couple where the yuri character was the sacrificial lamb like kuzu no honkai and cross ange. So this reversal is new to me, its good

joined Aug 1, 2019

Currently it isn't, though a Japanese Sapporo court apparently ruled a gay marriage ban as unconstitutional so we'll see how things go in future.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Kirin-kun posted:

I looked up the original because I was confused: this translation is all kind of wrongs.

The girl MC is a teacher (they call her "sensei" on the first bubble, but somehow, it's not mentioned here).

The one who got mad was the MC's mother, when THE MC introduced her lover to her own parents.

It's never mentioned she ever was with a guy, so the bisexual tags stems from a bad translation.

Blegh.

Quite busy today but I'll look into this. Thank you for the report.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Blegh.

That would make more sense, yes. Especially with this bit:

I honestly got this feeling even from just this, just thought that she may have tried to hide it in the conversations, since the ending made it quite clear the boy knew he'd never had a chance due to this.

joined Jun 11, 2016

yeh, but they could just do a ceremony without all the legal stuff I guess? I've seen couples who do that before.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If I follow the remarks here, the first three pages are just a setup for the final reveal that the girl was a lesbian all along, and the gender of her lover is never mentioned previously. Though she did broke up with one, because her mother insulted them.

It makes a lot more sense why the boy was depressed. He never had a chance.

last edited at Sep 12, 2021 1:05PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

whenever there is a "bisexual" tag it has drama lmao

Dashing
joined Nov 19, 2018

Not mentioning awful translation, It's a sweet OS.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Blegh.

Thank you. I really had no clue what the the hell was going on.

joined Jul 8, 2019

Meanwhile, in bizarro Dynasty Reader, we have a story of a cute boy who sees how his childhood love marries a girl. Oh, wait...

joined Aug 29, 2019

If I follow the remarks here, the first three pages are just a setup for the final reveal that the girl was a lesbian all along, and the gender of her lover is never mentioned previously. Though she did broke up with one, because her mother insulted them.

It makes a lot more sense why the boy was depressed. He never had a chance.

Except she literally asked him if he'd have her, heavily implying that she's not averse to being with a guy either. She may have been joking, but that's just one interpretation of things. I'd say the "bisexual" tag is warranted.

644a9551982db70ad739d195df9452e7
joined Mar 7, 2021

When I saw the tags, I was like "these tags together doesn't sit right to me" after reading the story, I was like damn, this dude is the real man. I've seen a lot of het couple where the yuri character was the sacrificial lamb like kuzu no honkai and cross ange. So this reversal is new to me, its good

how dare you remind me cross ange exists.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Blegh.

This. This is exactly what I came to find. Thanks!
I knew right off the bat that there was something wrong with the translation. They kept referring to the mc's lover as "he" and "him" but it was plain that this person was a GIRL -- which explains why the parents got so angry when their daughter introduced her as one she wanted to marry. Had it been a man, any man, they wouldn't have blown all their fuses like that... but it was a woman!

So in summary the mc brought her female lover to her parents, told them she planned to marry that woman, they got absolutely furious, they started hurling vile homophobic insults, and she was so hurt and humiliated that she broke up with the mc. And the boy tells the mc to forget that bitch because she has proved herself unworthy: he claims that, if it was him, he would have returned see the mc's parents again and again and done dogeza in front of them for hours or days or as long as needed until they yielded and gave their blessing to the union! He really is a cutie and a sweetheart. ♡ Too bad him x mc was just impossible.

last edited at Sep 12, 2021 2:54PM

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

yeh, but they could just do a ceremony without all the legal stuff I guess? I've seen couples who do that before.

To me, her comment on the first page about not being in the family register (i.e., no legal stuff), and the vague description she gave of her lover, implied that it was likely not a guy. Everything after that felt really confusing as a result, so thanks to @Kirin-kun for the research.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That kind of "surprise ending" is easier in Japanese, because pronouns can be completely omitted.

It's a lot more difficult in English, where you have to use "they" and "them", or avoid pronouns altogether if you want to stay neutral and it quickly sounds awkward in English.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

A quick translation. I can't say it's perfect, but it's a lot closer from the original, imo:

Page 1:

Sensei, did you get married?
Aah... this ring?
We're not officially married yet though... (as in, they didn't fill in a marriage registration yet)
Eeh... so coooool...
Congrats, senseiiii...
Thank you.
What are they like?
Hmm... someone who loves me a lot I guess.
you're just bragging now...

Page 2:

Yori nee-chan, don't come into my room without permission.
Sniff...
Did you get dumped again?
Shut up!
You usually come here because you want attention.
This time, the person was really nice.
But when I introduced them to my parents, my mom flipped out.
Onee-chan, you're still in college, so it's a bit premature, don't you think?
But that doesn't mean she had to to curse at them.
Oba-chan, she cursed at them...
And then, the other person got angry... and dumped me.
Aah... geez..

Page 3:

Oba-chan's the one to blame, though...
So, I think it's wrong for the other person to be upset with you, onee-chan.
If it were me, I'd definitely not give up and go over and over to greet them.
Pfft... what's that?
So if I keep being dumped...
will you take me then, Michio?
Haaa..huuu?! No way around it then! And that's an "if"!
But...
But I knew that would never happen...

Page 4:

Because even though I love you so much...
Making you look so happy,
Is not something I can do.
Congratulations.

last edited at Sep 12, 2021 4:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.