Forum › My Younger Senpai discussion

joined Jul 24, 2021

Can anyone send me a link for the raw chapters?

MapleLovesYuri
Okay%20magge
joined Mar 5, 2021

why are half the people here are so sensetive like let the characters be, you know since the first chapter that this is going to be dumb but great manga to read. real life morals is gone.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

why are half the people here are so sensetive like let the characters be, you know since the first chapter that this is going to be dumb but great manga to read. real life morals is gone.

In the same vein, maybe you should let people critique a manga they're reading and not enjoy it?? No one here has said "this is bad so YOU SHOULDN'T LIKE IT" but I've seen a lot in the reverse.

A comments section is there to... make comments. Positive and negative.

And for the record, no, real life morals don't suddenly disappear cause we're reading manga lol that's a weird thing to insinuate.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Lizstar posted:

In the same vein, maybe you should let people critique a manga they're reading and not enjoy it?? No one here has said "this is bad so YOU SHOULDN'T LIKE IT" but I've seen a lot in the reverse.

And for the record, no, real life morals don't suddenly disappear cause we're reading manga lol that's a weird thing to insinuate.

Yeah, people have differing views on media all the time and should be free to express them. One's taste not aligning with some random stranger on the internet should never be reason for feeling upset or attacked. Also don't think someone saying "this makes me uncomfortable" is really a moral argument, but eh.

Screen%20shot%202021-07-24%20at%206.19.18%20pm
joined Jul 24, 2021

For my part, I’m excited to see what comes next! Like others have said it’s a spicy twist on time travel romcoms and the art is great. Like, I’m a sucker for good facial expressions and they knock those out of the park. Main girls astonished blush at the end of this chapter was especially nice, also just any of senpai’s casually cool seductive looks. Perfecto.

Real life morals dont need to ‘disappear’, their utility in a discussion of the quality of a work of fiction is already anything but a given. Displaying complete confidence while insinuating that they are isn’t a cogent point by any measure.

Could you elucidate on the value of critiquing a work on morals the author is clearly deliberately ignoring?
I ask because for one, I cant see how the author could use criticism like that when the moral failings being decried here are so foundational to the works premise. It couldn’t help readers either, since if their morals don’t align with the work they’d have been able to tell and jump ship by the end of the very first chapter.

I dont intend to strawman your position as ‘this is bad so you shouldn’t like it’, but what other arguments are 'real life morals' going to contribute to here? Besides, of course, the argument of ‘this is bad so it shouldn’t be made’.
But if that’s anyone here’s position then of course, that brings in to this discussion whether any work of fiction should be censored based on the morality of its content. Which is also anything but a given.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Lizstar can speak for themselves if they wish to, but I just wanted to make a few brief points.

Plebeian posted:

Could you elucidate on the value of critiquing a work on morals the author is clearly deliberately ignoring?
I ask because for one, I cant see how the author could use criticism like that when the moral failings being decried here are so foundational to the works premise.

One, even English-fluent artists who approve of their work being posted here are unlikely to browse these forums frequently, if ever. Assuming the artist did look at these "critiques," I'd point them to Linterdiction's posts on the previous pages. Even intentionally provocative media can push boundaries in a way that turns some of its core audience off, and even framing changes could avoid that trap entirely.

It couldn’t help readers either, since if their morals don’t align with the work they’d have been able to tell and jump ship by the end of the very first chapter.

Two, several readers have been hopping off the train for the past few chapters, some rather disappointed. Most humans don't deal in absolutes, and are willing to stick with resonant pieces even if those pieces are grating in some fashion. In this instance, without the benefit of reviews to guide them, any given reader may stick it out for several chapters in the hopes that the positives grow and the negatives wane. Ignorant though this apparently is to you, the proof lies in this very thread, and the posts her serve as "reviews" for prospective readers.

I dont intend to strawman your position as ‘this is bad so you shouldn’t like it’, but what other arguments are 'real life morals' going to contribute to here? Besides, of course, the argument of ‘this is bad so it shouldn’t be made’.

Third, and finally, you suggest that a comment must be made in service of a larger argument. These forums operate for discussions, yes, but also serve as the equivalent to blog posts for others. The mere expression of one's opinion may be all they're after, and still holds value besides.

Look back on Ryuu-chii's post, wherein they draw dissatisfaction with the tenor of comments present. Just as they come away from the thread feeling negatively about moralistic comments, one on the opposite side of the spectrum would feel a positive sense of identification with those same comments. The expression of disgust amidst (apparently) growing distaste among this story's audience engenders a sense of belonging that doesn't exist if none of those comments are ever made.

Thus, between the inherent value of reviews to some readers, and the further value of identity to others, there seem to be valid reasons to comment "moralistically" on a given work without suggesting anything about whether the piece should exist or whether anyone else should or shouldn't like it. And we didn't even get into the fun stuff! Maybe next time.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Two, several readers have been hopping off the train for the past few chapters, some rather disappointed. Most humans don't deal in absolutes, and are willing to stick with resonant pieces even if those pieces are grating in some fashion. In this instance, without the benefit of reviews to guide them, any given reader may stick it out for several chapters in the hopes that the positives grow and the negatives wane.

Just a thought. For my part, I never understand why people stick with something they find major problems with in hope that it will 'get better', especially when their feedback and opinion have no influence on the production of the work. I don't even read reviews for the most part. If I like something, I read/watch it. If I don't, I don't. Modern people are inundated with entertainment, why bother with something you don't enjoy 100%? Not to mention that free stuff like this are free so your money is not being wasted.
For this particular manga, first chapter tells me it's a wacky comedy ecchi series with a baka perverted MC ( I mean, she time slips by masturbating furiously in a kiddie playground and impulsively kisses her underage senpai on their 'first' meeting) and it remains a wacky comedy ecchi series with a baka perverted MC. So it's not like the manga changes its direction 180 degree after a few chapters. It's been like that from the start.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

that video defo made it to her wankbank

Fb_img_1506323085663
joined Apr 2, 2017

What the heck??????
Now we are time traveling too! :0
Chapter 7 came out in july 26, but we're still in july 25

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I for one am absolutely checking in on the comments every so often to see if this series deviates from the tone set in the first few chapters in a way that would actually make me have any interest in reading it and I definitely appreciate those brave souls who stick around to let me know that no it does not so I can save myself the trouble.

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 8:17PM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I dunno why but something about Seto's intense face makes her look like a 'human male Dragon Ball character with big tits' to me, design wise.

that video defo made it to her wankbank

Right into the tissue box lmao

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 8:23PM

The YuriWitch
Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

I mean, the story is absurd in a neutral way for me. It's how the main love interest interacts with both the future!MC and present!MC that I stick around for. Also, as far as our budding actress is concerned...the fact that she allows the future!MC to get away with as much as she does might just be for fanservice sake, but...could it be possible she's starting to get an inkling about her real identity?

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 8:24PM

joined May 24, 2014

Yes, keep training in "romance"!

joined Jun 3, 2020

https://yanmaga.jp/comics/%E5%B9%B4%E4%B8%8B%E3%81%AE%E5%85%88%E8%BC%A9

You can read the raws for chapters 8 and 9 for free, but if you want chapter 10, you will have to either pay for it or wait a couple of weeks (at which point 8 will stop being free).

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

This will just make her realize she's in love with the younger version of MC, effectively making her be a wingman even if she originally was trying to NTR herself.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

I have such conflicted feelings about this manga

joined May 29, 2021

https://yanmaga.jp/comics/%E5%B9%B4%E4%B8%8B%E3%81%AE%E5%85%88%E8%BC%A9

You can read the raws for chapters 8 and 9 for free, but if you want chapter 10, you will have to either pay for it or wait a couple of weeks (at which point 8 will stop being free).

Looking at the next raws the next chapter is going to be more of the same but the chapter after that looks much more interesting.

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 9:35PM

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Just a thought. For my part, I never understand why people stick with something they find major problems with in hope that it will 'get better', especially when their feedback and opinion have no influence on the production of the work. I don't even read reviews for the most part. If I like something, I read/watch it. If I don't, I don't. Modern people are inundated with entertainment, why bother with something you don't enjoy 100%? Not to mention that free stuff like this are free so your money is not being wasted.
For this particular manga, first chapter tells me it's a wacky comedy ecchi series with a baka perverted MC ( I mean, she time slips by masturbating furiously in a kiddie playground and impulsively kisses her underage senpai on their 'first' meeting) and it remains a wacky comedy ecchi series with a baka perverted MC. So it's not like the manga changes its direction 180 degree after a few chapters. It's been like that from the start.

Don't wanna carry too much on a tertiary subject, but here goes. It's nice that you have your experience, but that doesn't mean others will, or are even capable of it. So, I'm only really interested in one big genre (yuri), and don't have much time for entertainment. While it's easy for me to enjoy basically anything, I also have reasonably high standards for what I'd consider "enjoying 100%." I stick with plenty of middling series because I've read everything else I want to, or they have some redeeming quality that I really adore that I will not find in many other places. So yeah, we're different.

Lastly, I'll repeat again that I don't really see these comments from anyone surprised this series is suddenly ecchi or hate-reading and hate-commenting all the way through. As far as I can tell, those commenters enjoyed (or continue enjoying) the manga enough to continue, and (in some cases) eventually dropped it and commented as much when that stoppe being true. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Assuming the artist did look at these "critiques," I'd point them to Linterdiction's posts on the previous pages

I'm blushing in the club right now.

<---actually mfw

...But anyway, yeah I was really happy to see the direction this chapter went in. MC is still very horny on main, but in this context she's also helping and being kind of sweet. It's good to know last chapter was basipally just what looks like a mistake in tone or implication, and the idea will still be that the MC is helping Seto-senpai out but like, in a fluffy and sexy way. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I was just thinking about how it's maybe interesting that I'm okay with a fictional adult/underage relationship thing, but that the adult MC crossing boundaries and being petulant about wanting attention was absolutely not fine for me, even though both were treated with an equally "this is okay" bent by the writing. I think, since this is a piece of fiction, if we're shown only the good, sexy parts of that adult woman/teenage girl dynamic, then within the fiction, only those parts exist; like, the fucked up consequences that come with a young person being pursued by an adult IRL aren't actually present, and so it feels like it's just a bit of spice, and the gap in power and experience isn't really present. It's much more similar to a fantasy about this kind of scenario than it is to a reality. Meanwhile the terrible boundaries that were on display in the last chapter actually are happening within the world of the story, and it makes me feel kind of icky because they're not being treated or recognized as such.

There's an entirely separate argument to be made about what it means to scrub things like adult/teen relationships of their full, real-life consequences, but personally I'm not actually interested in that subject at all atm. Dealing with enough ethics questions in my own day-to-day. But if you're really interested in that kind of thing, there's a huge amount of critical literature surrounding Nabokov's Lolita, a novel in which pedophilia does carry all its real-world consequences within the fiction but in which the distorted mind of the pedophile-narrator pleading his case is the audiences' viewpoint into the world, and his logic is so insidious that if you don't engage with the novel by constantly questioning how he presents things, there is a very real danger that it will distort your perspective around that issue.

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 10:05PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This series is so wholesome.

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

I hope some MC gets some development soon. It feels like her only personality trait is being horny and if she is planning cucking herself I at least want her to ACTUALLY help Senpai at her acting career

last edited at Jul 25, 2021 10:29PM

joined May 15, 2021

I love how we go from Degenerate to Wholesome to Comedy to Degenerate again but with a bit of Wholesome and Wholesome with Degenerate from ch to ch ahhahahha

Imgonline-com-ua-resize-vwt1kupzlnws
joined Jul 8, 2018

This chapter was much better than the last few. Hope it keeps up. And she's actually trying to help Seto here instead of just feeling her up lmao.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

As far as I can tell, those commenters enjoyed (or continue enjoying) the manga enough to continue, and (in some cases) eventually dropped it and commented as much when that stoppe being true. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

My previous post was more like a generalized observation from my point of view and and didn't mean to say the comments in this thread are unreasonable. I was indeed going off on a tangent, so let's put a stop on this tertiary subject.

last edited at Jul 26, 2021 12:45AM

Screen%20shot%202021-07-24%20at%206.19.18%20pm
joined Jul 24, 2021

Replying to OrangePekoe.

One,

I’ll repeat that moral qualms people have with this manga are so foundational that they could hardly be called a trap. There’s a bigger discussion you’re touching on here about how much influence fans should actually have over the content of any work of art. Critiques that encourage authors to commit framing changes to avoid pushing a given boundary aren’t inherently good things. Personally, I’m in ‘the artists vision over all’ camp, really detest framing a boundary pushing decision that alienates readers as a ‘trap’.
But anyway: if you’re going to contend that criticisms here probably never reach the author, you’re right. Full concession here. Our critiques will probably never reach the authors, so lets talk about what other values they might have.

Two,

That readers can hop off at any point is absolutely fair, and I was overly dismissive. I contend that My Younger Senpai has worn its’ content on its’ sleeve since early on, but I’m obviously biased to my own interpretations.

But in regards to the benefits of these reviews, I have some strong misgivings, but I can’t prove that someone doesn’t find they serve a purpose.
So, since only someone with access to the raws, which I doubt constitute the majority of ‘reviewers’, could answer definitively whether or not the positives grow/negatives wane (and even then they would be giving a review so much as a content warning. Maybe that’s just semantics) does that then leave the main benefit to these reviews in discouraging or encouraging people to continue reading a given work? How virtuous is that on a free website, for material that have generally low reader time investment to boot?
Also lowering the bar for what we’re calling a ‘review’ to “this work does or doesnt match my morals” isn’t something I wanted to do, but then again the integrity of that word probably died with Steam “””reviews”””.

Third, and finally, you suggest that a comment must be made in service of a larger argument.

This is a misinterpretation of my expectation that a position held so confidently should be rightfully expected to have some strong backing. I felt Lizstar’s comment of “lol, that’s a weird thing to insinuate” was supremely smug and condescending, so I expected it must've been backed by strong arguments.

These forums operate for discussions, yes, but also serve as the equivalent to blog posts for others. The mere expression of one's opinion may be all they're after, and still holds value besides.

The mere expression of one’s opinion may be all they’re after but the second they’ve expressed it it’s open to be analyzed and discussed as much as anything else posted here is, isn’t it?
To be clear: I don’t think every post should be obligated to be anything more than a blog post. But they obviously shouldn’t be exempt from responses, either, regardless of whether they aim to be part of a larger argument or not.
Regardless, In this specific instance do you interpret Lizstar’s post as just a blogpost? I saw his post as part of an active back-and-forth and decided to throw in.

Look back on...

I disagree that one can prove value in moralistic comments based on whether they might be encouraging for someone else. You identified how such a post could both disaffect one person while encouraging another, which to me perfectly illustrates how ambiguous the virtue of such posting is. How encouraging or discouraging a post is could never be accurately measured.
Again, Ill concede that moralistic criticisms could have some utility for the purpose of review, despite my misgivings of those purposes and whether they deserve to be called reviews, but the ‘value of identity’ is a total crapshoot.

Besides, should I really just be a cheerleader for whatever position I favour, in order to make people who cleave to the same ideals as me feel more welcome, so that they too can add their voices to the chorus? Wont that just result in less discussion and more vitriol and radicalization of opinions?

Ill be transparent here, its probably something anyone can infer from my post count anyway. I wanted to do exactly this, add my voice to that of people who like this work, not just in spite of some of its’ content, but who wholly embrace it. Because I sure don’t see a lot to positively identify with. In fact the amount of voices decrying works of fiction for their moral content on this site is sometimes discouraging, and a driving reason behind why I’ve never posted here before (been lurking just a little while, since 2018~ish).
But if I wanted my posts to not be picked apart by others, then I shouldn’t have posted at all. Like, if I just said: “My Younger Senpai has no moral issues”, for instance, I’d expect that post to be torn apart, and rightfully so.

Also I apologize if this post has gotten too off topic. I am more than willing to continue this discussion in another thread.
Also also, I cut some quotes of your posts to reduce overall post size, dunno if that’s bad etiquette or not. Sorry if it is!

To reply you must either login or sign up.