Forum › Posts by Plebeian

Plebeian
Screen%20shot%202021-07-24%20at%206.19.18%20pm
joined Jul 24, 2021

Should be good now I believe, sorry about that. Nice avatar btw.

Thanks and thanks! Watagiri Saya really left me spoiled for choice picking an avatar, it was hard to settle! Still, very jealous of the poster with Azusa's galaxy realization look

Plebeian
joined Jul 24, 2021

Replying to OrangePekoe.

One,

I’ll repeat that moral qualms people have with this manga are so foundational that they could hardly be called a trap. There’s a bigger discussion you’re touching on here about how much influence fans should actually have over the content of any work of art. Critiques that encourage authors to commit framing changes to avoid pushing a given boundary aren’t inherently good things. Personally, I’m in ‘the artists vision over all’ camp, really detest framing a boundary pushing decision that alienates readers as a ‘trap’.
But anyway: if you’re going to contend that criticisms here probably never reach the author, you’re right. Full concession here. Our critiques will probably never reach the authors, so lets talk about what other values they might have.

Two,

That readers can hop off at any point is absolutely fair, and I was overly dismissive. I contend that My Younger Senpai has worn its’ content on its’ sleeve since early on, but I’m obviously biased to my own interpretations.

But in regards to the benefits of these reviews, I have some strong misgivings, but I can’t prove that someone doesn’t find they serve a purpose.
So, since only someone with access to the raws, which I doubt constitute the majority of ‘reviewers’, could answer definitively whether or not the positives grow/negatives wane (and even then they would be giving a review so much as a content warning. Maybe that’s just semantics) does that then leave the main benefit to these reviews in discouraging or encouraging people to continue reading a given work? How virtuous is that on a free website, for material that have generally low reader time investment to boot?
Also lowering the bar for what we’re calling a ‘review’ to “this work does or doesnt match my morals” isn’t something I wanted to do, but then again the integrity of that word probably died with Steam “””reviews”””.

Third, and finally, you suggest that a comment must be made in service of a larger argument.

This is a misinterpretation of my expectation that a position held so confidently should be rightfully expected to have some strong backing. I felt Lizstar’s comment of “lol, that’s a weird thing to insinuate” was supremely smug and condescending, so I expected it must've been backed by strong arguments.

These forums operate for discussions, yes, but also serve as the equivalent to blog posts for others. The mere expression of one's opinion may be all they're after, and still holds value besides.

The mere expression of one’s opinion may be all they’re after but the second they’ve expressed it it’s open to be analyzed and discussed as much as anything else posted here is, isn’t it?
To be clear: I don’t think every post should be obligated to be anything more than a blog post. But they obviously shouldn’t be exempt from responses, either, regardless of whether they aim to be part of a larger argument or not.
Regardless, In this specific instance do you interpret Lizstar’s post as just a blogpost? I saw his post as part of an active back-and-forth and decided to throw in.

Look back on...

I disagree that one can prove value in moralistic comments based on whether they might be encouraging for someone else. You identified how such a post could both disaffect one person while encouraging another, which to me perfectly illustrates how ambiguous the virtue of such posting is. How encouraging or discouraging a post is could never be accurately measured.
Again, Ill concede that moralistic criticisms could have some utility for the purpose of review, despite my misgivings of those purposes and whether they deserve to be called reviews, but the ‘value of identity’ is a total crapshoot.

Besides, should I really just be a cheerleader for whatever position I favour, in order to make people who cleave to the same ideals as me feel more welcome, so that they too can add their voices to the chorus? Wont that just result in less discussion and more vitriol and radicalization of opinions?

Ill be transparent here, its probably something anyone can infer from my post count anyway. I wanted to do exactly this, add my voice to that of people who like this work, not just in spite of some of its’ content, but who wholly embrace it. Because I sure don’t see a lot to positively identify with. In fact the amount of voices decrying works of fiction for their moral content on this site is sometimes discouraging, and a driving reason behind why I’ve never posted here before (been lurking just a little while, since 2018~ish).
But if I wanted my posts to not be picked apart by others, then I shouldn’t have posted at all. Like, if I just said: “My Younger Senpai has no moral issues”, for instance, I’d expect that post to be torn apart, and rightfully so.

Also I apologize if this post has gotten too off topic. I am more than willing to continue this discussion in another thread.
Also also, I cut some quotes of your posts to reduce overall post size, dunno if that’s bad etiquette or not. Sorry if it is!

Plebeian
joined Jul 24, 2021

Hi, is this the right place to ask for help with the spam filter? I think I used the preview post option too many times and my post is being detected as spam.

Plebeian
joined Jul 24, 2021

For my part, I’m excited to see what comes next! Like others have said it’s a spicy twist on time travel romcoms and the art is great. Like, I’m a sucker for good facial expressions and they knock those out of the park. Main girls astonished blush at the end of this chapter was especially nice, also just any of senpai’s casually cool seductive looks. Perfecto.

In the same vein, maybe you should let people critique a manga they're reading and not enjoy it?? No one here has said "this is bad so YOU SHOULDN'T LIKE IT" but I've seen a lot in the reverse.

A comments section is there to... make comments. Positive and negative.

And for the record, no, real life morals don't suddenly disappear cause we're reading manga lol that's a weird thing to insinuate.

Real life morals dont need to ‘disappear’, their utility in a discussion of the quality of a work of fiction is already anything but a given. Displaying complete confidence while insinuating that they are isn’t a cogent point by any measure.

Could you elucidate on the value of critiquing a work on morals the author is clearly deliberately ignoring?
I ask because for one, I cant see how the author could use criticism like that when the moral failings being decried here are so foundational to the works premise. It couldn’t help readers either, since if their morals don’t align with the work they’d have been able to tell and jump ship by the end of the very first chapter.

I dont intend to strawman your position as ‘this is bad so you shouldn’t like it’, but what other arguments are 'real life morals' going to contribute to here? Besides, of course, the argument of ‘this is bad so it shouldn’t be made’.
But if that’s anyone here’s position then of course, that brings in to this discussion whether any work of fiction should be censored based on the morality of its content. Which is also anything but a given.