Forum › Exiled From My Old Party For Being A Woman, Me And A Legendary Witch Formed The Ultimate Tag Team discussion

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Well anyways, this does look like it’ll be kinda dope, I haven’t read the LN yet, so i’m not really sure what to expect, I honestly like MC so far, she actually stands up for herself, that’s nice. I just hope this won’t turn into one of those yuri where all men are evil for some reason, it’s fine if the majority are, but cmon atleast make one guy good. <

I mean there are, but that's not the point of the story. It's angry Japanese lesbian venting. It's why making a family is the big focus of her rage. People ACTUALLY believe this shit in Japan. Like. As a normal thing.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I wonder if Laplace being sealed is also part of the sexism.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Adventuring party allegory for workplace sexism? I am extremely into this.

It's exactly that.

I suspect that commenters who complain about "unrealistic asshole male characters" don't realize that all the male characters in this story are very realistic portrayals of the sort of men that populate every workplace in Japan.

It gets even more transparently obvious in later chapters, when we find that being an adventurer involves a hell of a lot of paperwork: the Adventurers' Guild expects every party to fill a ton of forms, records and documents detailing every tidbit of info about their quests, their travels, their fights, their individual performances, etc. Ryan's party will get in big trouble because of this, as for the last five years they had been pushing all their paperwork on Tanya; and, with her gone, nobody knows how to deal with the guild's bureaucracy.

Dy
joined May 3, 2020

ahh i read the first LN for this! i still have to read the second one...

Tumblr_caf3b0f42fae30c4861ed20d01537352_218b78f1_250
joined Apr 6, 2021

The translation is so good !!! Kudos to the team.

Seohyuncropped
Dynasty Scans
joined Oct 8, 2010

So I read this first chapter, and whilst I found the representation of the male characters a little flanderised, it is still VERY accurate to what a lot of males have said about females in "their" territory.

I then read some of the LN's first volume, and BOY does the author lean in hard on real life occurrences.

Yes, the stereotype in Japan of many female workers is that they are mere secretaries who are just their to look for a husband, will quit and stay at home to be a SAHM. Ergo, there is no point training them beyond being OLs, and any female wishing to be anything else is going against her nature. In a lot of the Western world, there are still male dominated fields where almost all the big wigs are male, and females who dare try to make a name for themselves are judged very harshly and or given barely any attention. In my field, it's not nearly as bad as in Japan (or this manga), but there is a sizeable minority if not plurality of males who hold similar opinions, and have said as such in a public space, and in writing.

Yes, there was actually a debacle where a Japanese university artificially reduced the grades of female applicants. Allegedly this occurs with Ivy Leagues with certain racial minorities as well, because those presently in power don't consider the merit of those minorities as being... well, meritorious enough.

Yes, there were businesses in Japan who insisted their female staff HAD to wear high heels, even if it was medically inadvisable. Makeup is also pushed a lot in many fields in the Western world, and dress codes are also quite a bit stricter on females, so don't try to pretend this isn't a thing outside of Japan.

In short, all the complaints about this being unrealistic sounds a whole lot like "I've never seen it happen, so clearly this doesn't happen". Given #MeToo, SURELY people are starting to realise that just maybe females experience life a little differently to males, or am I just hoping too much?

TL;DR If you think this series is an inaccurate representation of female experience, you're part of the problem

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

For those of us who haven't read the original LN, this whole thread is one big spoiler. The worst part is, we're probably going to get the exact same discussion all over again when the stuff that's already been discussed actually comes up in the manga...

First chapter seems entertaining enough, looking forward to more physicist names, plot-summary titles are an abomination. That's all I have to say for now.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Ryan's party will get in big trouble because of this, as for the last five years they had been pushing all their paperwork on Tanya; and, with her gone, nobody knows how to deal with the guild's bureaucracy.

I have no doubts that it happens just like that all the time in real life Japan. It's not the first time we see this problem addressed in a manga.
For example, in Liberta we find that Komari hates her work because everyone keeps pushing their work onto her and, even worse, she's the one who gets scolded and insulted if there are mistakes even tho it wasn't her responsibility to begin with. And her workmates aren't even grateful: on the contrary, they badmouth her for not doing an even better job of doing all their work that they have pushed onto her.
You can be sure as heck that this issue is anything but unrealistic.

last edited at Apr 21, 2021 2:07PM

Villains
joined May 1, 2015

It's exactly that.

I suspect that commenters who complain about "unrealistic asshole male characters" don't realize that all the male characters in this story are very realistic portrayals of the sort of men that populate every workplace in Japan.

OLs don't have to worry about stab wounds. I understand that that was the intent, but the result of attempting to mix office culture and life or death combat scenarios is a bunch of incoherent nonsense.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Exhausted posted:

It's exactly that.

OLs don't have to worry about stab wounds. I understand that that was the intent, but the result of attempting to mix office culture and life or death combat scenarios is a bunch of incoherent nonsense.

Only if you take the manga too seriously

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Only if you take the manga too seriously

Or, in Joel's words: "Repeat to yourself: 'It's just a comic, I should really just relax.' Lalala."

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Nene posted:

It gets even more transparently obvious in later chapters, when we find that being an adventurer involves a hell of a lot of paperwork: the Adventurers' Guild expects every party to fill a ton of forms, records and documents detailing every tidbit of info about their quests, their travels, their fights, their individual performances, etc. Ryan's party will get in big trouble because of this, as for the last five years they had been pushing all their paperwork on Tanya; and, with her gone, nobody knows how to deal with the guild's bureaucracy.

That's hilarious as hell. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

b0undarybreaker
C12%20wink
joined Oct 29, 2020

oh this kicks ass, I really hope we get more in the future!

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Oh how did I miss that, with 140 comments and all...
... it looks like this is the kind of story that doesn't give a shit, I'm down for it

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I pretended to ignore this until I went to see some r/yurimemes post

Now I'm already eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

116453289_3649829745030561_2447255441285922596_n
joined Jun 5, 2017

For the first five pages, i had a guts that the comment section would be 'interesting' and i got it right

Welp im a girl and i dont mind when in some LN/manga, woman got a bad representation (bitch,gold digger,cheater, etc you name it) because its true, some women do this.

So why you guys immediately judge this LN as some hardcore feminishit? Just because there's a man (or group of men) who treated her like a shit because of gender role. This shit is happened in somewhere in the real world (especially Japan with their Medical student University issue)

(I mean like the other people said on the previous comment, that not all men in this LN are bad) so what i mean is, just chill out bro

joined Mar 16, 2021

Yes, this is a trashy catharsis. But many popular ones (some even adepted into anime) of the same if not more trashiness don't attract nearly as much criticism with people digging 10 meters into the ground just to poke holes.

ONE chapter into this manga (same thing happened with the translated LN on the site it's posted) with misogynistic men, "critics" can't wait to jump into attack with "not all men", even throwing the word "feminism" around while any criticism against those popular ones for objectifying women is either brushed off as "taking it too serious" or "keep YOUR politics off MY mangas/animes/games".

Pick and choose which ones to "take serious" and poke holes, pick and choose which ones to be held up to master piece literature standards, pick and choose which ones to be less charitable. If it doesn't reveal intent, it certainly reveal bias.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

It's exactly that.

OLs don't have to worry about stab wounds.

Also magic isn't real

EmeraldicDriller
joined Mar 19, 2021

Again, it wasn't really meant to be social commentary. It was just a reaction to real-life shit. If that's not enough for you, that's your problem.

Is a story written in reaction to real-life events and problems in society not the literal definition of social commentary? It being social commentary isn't a bad thing, so this feels like an odd defense of something that it doesn't need to be defended over in the first place.

In any case it seems like good fun so far. Whatever all the fuss is about doesn't exist yet as far as I'm concerned, because I'd have to actually read a book to see it. I can't read books, there's not enough pictures in them!

joined Jun 13, 2020

Oh. Another one of those trashy revenge stories where the adventuring party is made to be irrationally stupid and mean, so the reader empathizes with the main character more and thirst for revenge.

This formula is getting stale, but the yuri caught my interest.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Oh. OH. That wasn't fourteen comments, it was one-hundred forty. Off-by-one [order of magnitude] error. Where do y'all find the energy to get so worked up about this? I'm just counting my dubious blessings that the author didn't feel the need to sell her into slavery or have the guy try to coerce sex so she could keep her position in the party.

868e64eacaeed480084b005ae21b7c4c
joined Jul 19, 2018

Hgggnnnnnnnn!! Hoooooonnnnnnkkkkkkkkk! Squaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkk!!!! And more excited gay noises

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

The world just doesn't make much sense to me. If men are against women doing anything why are they even allowed to be adventurers?

Ya, this glaring bit of nonsense was the final dealbreaker to me.

nice reading comprehension. There is very much still a strong sentiment of "women can work, but they should only do so until they find husbands or need to have kids." that's every where???? That was what was being invoked. Willfully obtuse. Tons of romance manga does it, hell, The Office leaned into it.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Yes, this is a trashy catharsis. But many popular ones (some even adepted into anime) of the same if not more trashiness don't attract nearly as much criticism with people digging 10 meters into the ground just to poke holes.

ONE chapter into this manga (same thing happened with the translated LN on the site it's posted) with misogynistic men, "critics" can't wait to jump into attack with "not all men", even throwing the word "feminism" around while any criticism against those popular ones for objectifying women is either brushed off as "taking it too serious" or "keep YOUR politics off MY mangas/animes/games".

Pick and choose which ones to "take serious" and poke holes, pick and choose which ones to be held up to master piece literature standards, pick and choose which ones to be less charitable. If it doesn't reveal intent, it certainly reveal bias.

people really be obsessed with arguing all their favorite semi-hentai manga are "literary masterpieces" that are "beyond the meagre ken of prudish normies [and their statutory rape laws]." lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.