Forum › Living with My Brother's Wife. discussion

joined Mar 20, 2021

Cant believe it
Been damn near 5 years and we got the subtext tag

joined Nov 5, 2015

Bro can we stop talking about the dead brother I know it's in the tittle but God I want them to kiss

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

All right! Finally caught up!

Having not had the mis/fortune to read My Unrequited Love, the story this most reminds me of is instead Ikoku Nikki. Both are about a schoolgirl living with a relative in the wake of a death, and both are about the serpentine way our minds wrap themselves around the grieving process (in both stories, it's well past the halfway point that Shino / Asa have their moment of catharsis where they realize that their dead loved ones are really gone forever). The differences between them make them feel more like complements than copies, though. This story leans on yuri tropes and conventions, and Ikoku Nikki, despite having at least one unambiguously lesbian couple, feels more shaped by BL conventions (and also has a more seinen / yaoi art style as well). Neither of them seems to be in a hurry to resolve, and in Ikoku Nikki it's even less clear what the endgame is than here. In both cases, though, the ride is way more interesting than the destination.

People have commented on the level of drama in this, but I think if anything it undersells the impact of grief and loss. The story doesn't often dwell on it, but Shino is only 17, and has lost not only both parents but her surrogate parent / brother. Especially in a culture that places so much emphasis on family life (at least during childhood), that's a nearly unimaginable amount of loss. Chapter 67 captured this really well – I, too, have had really confusing mornings of visiting my father with my ex before we drive to visit my grandparents in a dream, and have had to spend a couple hours sometimes reorienting myself after I wake up and I'm pushing 50. Grieving's not some kind of XP grinding process where you feel really sad for some length of time and then you pop out of it with a Lvl 3 Adulting skill. It's something that comes and goes fitfully, and you can absolutely be totally calm or even laughing one moment and then be right back in the grip of devastation just by seeing a calendar date or an old ad on TV.

I get that the very slow pace of the story messes with the reader's sense of the passage of time, but it's been a little over a year since Taishi died at this point in the story, which is really not very long at all for people processing the death of their husband / last close family member. Also, the story doesn't dwell on this at all, but the way Taishi died is profoundly fucked up – dead of a cold at the office, like something out of an isekai prologue. It's a situation practically (and maybe literally) designed to stymie easy closure. I really like the way the story shows rather than telling us how it plays out, and the different ways that Nozomi and Shino (don't) talk about Taishi's death.

Another thing I like is that this story is full of characters who prioritize other people's needs over their own, and the way it very quietly shows the risks and consequences of doing that. WIth Nozomi and Shino most obviously (and I loved how Heidi's explanation of interdependency was both more or less right and heartwarming but was undermined by her own experiences and loss), but also with Ritsuko, Heidi, and Minato. Putting on a brave front or self-deprecation turn into self-abnegation very easily, and also can push away the people you're trying to hold tight.

last edited at Mar 21, 2021 4:13AM

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

"Start seeing her as a woman".

Later

"What are you doing step sis?"

I am not the only one who had a horrible flashback about a trashy ero-manga right?

last edited at Apr 2, 2021 3:47AM

joined Aug 8, 2020

Eeyyyy we finally got that subtext tag hell yeah!

In another five years they might even h*ld h*nds.

last edited at Apr 2, 2021 9:06AM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Thank you Ritsuko

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

What's that supposed to mean?!
Basically all of us after reading every single chapter of this subtext with lots of "..." moments

Ff0118f44ab907c387eaab20dfff8246
joined Jan 26, 2021

"Start seeing her as a woman"

Okay here we go. We're finally onto something.

joined Oct 23, 2016

Ritsuko: Start seeing her as a woman.

Last panel

Shino: looking down at a sleeping Nozomi

Me: SuBtExT InTeNSiFiEs

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Has the subtext really been that strong until recent chapters though?

Also the scanlators page at the end. Truth.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

RPPuzzle posted:

Also the scanlators page at the end. Truth.

I think is more like, Ritsuko had it all figure it out and is not concerned about all the awkwardness, so she comes out with pragmatic solutions, when she speaks with any of them, lots of progress can be made towards a better relationship... However, Nozomi and Shino still hesitate to completely take the advice, rely on each others and well, just open up.

last edited at Apr 4, 2021 12:04PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Strong enough that I can't even joke that Ritsuko was saying what we all want, since most of us already thought Shino was seeing Nozomi as a woman anyway, even if she may not have realized this herself quite yet.

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

Ricchan is speaking all of our thoughts

joined Mar 13, 2016

Colonel is one of us

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Aaahh naahh they really need a mediator T-T Shino thinks that it's okay to relay on everyone except Nozomi for help, and that's okay in a way except you're practically leaving her out of everything now.
And Nozomi is desperate for help but doesn't want to burden Shino with it even though she's hurting so bad... They're so close and yet this invisible wall keeps them apart, because they're too nice with each others T-T

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

"Start seeing her as a woman".

Later

"What are you doing step sis?"

I am not the only one who had a horrible flashback about a trashy ero-manga right?

i have read too many

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So Nozomi is trying to think of her husband and finds herself thinking of Shino instead? Once again, tell me how I'm not supposed to see this as yuri...

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Aaaagh! I had forgotten about this! And the Valentine's chapter in my memory had become just a cute little in-between, so now that we see the other side, it hit me a lot harder...

The author is killing me, please do something for Nozomi...

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Why are we here? Just to suffer? No wonder Colonel is feeling edgy. It is a big yarn of anxiety waiting to unravel.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

still hoping they will end up with each other but I'm fine even if they ended up as friends

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Just bang already

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Nozomi seriously need to see a therapist or something. Worst case scenario she's gonna be dependent on Shino and not move on. That ain't good chief.

joined Nov 5, 2015

God can they stop talking about the dead bro i mean mad respect to you my dude rest in peace up there but jeesus

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

God can they stop talking about the dead bro i mean mad respect to you my dude rest in peace up there but jeesus

Given that the death of the brother is the main premise of the series, no, they really can't.

Dead loved ones will do that to you, especially young ones who die suddenly.

joined Apr 6, 2018

daaaaaaamn dear author please please let her help her

LET HER HELP HER AND NOT THE WISHY WASHY WAY

To reply you must either login or sign up.