Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

deuxyeon posted:

There's still an epilogue

You mean there's epilogue to epilogue? Yea, they totally didn't add it last minute!

The last chapter was never called an epilogue. Also it's not their fault that people like you couldn't understand that they did get together at the end.

This is sheer nonsense. Everyone understood that they got together—people were just disgusted that, after years of dicking around in the plot, the author couldn’t be bothered to show how, why, or under what conditions they got together.

Or even, if the necklace was supposed to be the same one, drawing it to look the same.

The fact that the last part wasn’t labeled “epilogue” is totally irrelevant—it functioned not as a fully developed narrative conclusion but as a—wait for it—epilogue.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

The last chapter was never called an epilogue. Also it's not their fault that people like you couldn't understand that they did get together at the end. Look at the damn necklace and they even move in together. Yet people like you complained about the ending and now that we get a nice epilogue you bitch and moan again. just read the damn chapter and shut up yeah?

"Shut up and accept the tacked-on response that the author felt compelled to make after everyone hated their ending." Yeah, no. Not doing that. Not interested in even looking at it.

last edited at Jan 19, 2021 7:32AM

joined Jun 25, 2017

Just read the spanish translation of the epilogue and honestly; it's fucking beautiful. It's perfect. I hope y'all get to read it soon.

joined Feb 14, 2019

Slightly Spoiler-ish mostly I'm referring to chapters that are already up here, but even the discussion itself implies some stuff about the new chapter. I've blacked out specifics tho.

As far as I can tell the new chapter was bonus content in a limited edition of volume 7, and also being sold separately (at least electronically), but not part of the standard vol 7 or serialized in Yuri Hime. If it is intended as a forced apology/appeasement to the bulk fandom it is very poorly executed in terms of reaching them.

It also seems quite carefully (lovingly?) written, and consistent with the main story (characters and themes). I'm more inclined to think it was a self-motivated effort by tMnR expressing the ending she wanted for the characters, a bit outside the bounds set for the main story (a bit like Tachi has done extra stories on Yuu and Haruka after Sakura Trick).

I've said before that I consider the main story was about Uta accepting her feelings for Kaoru as valid and legitimate, that she wasn't betraying anyone by having them (not about having those feelings reciprocated, or even pursuing that reciprocation); it makes it quite a queer story, since heterosexuals rarely end up questioning their feelings and identity on that level. That story was resolved in ch36 with Uta embracing her feelings and also getting acceptance from Kaoru who even went so far as to equate them to her own selfishness about the nature of their relationship.

Coming after that resolution it is definitely fair to consider ch37 as an epilogue, albeit one with a weirdly ill-defined ending, presumably in an attempt to keep the romantic/platonic question open. Although even then it still felt more like "veneer of deniability over romantic" than "possibility over platonic" (eg making a point of Uta re-affirming her feelings in the middle, and the waiting wife vibe from Kaoru at the end), so I suspect romantic couple was tMnR's personal preference all along.

I think the "vision" for the story was about accepting their feelings and dealing with their issues, and in that frame the nature of their final relationship is not important to the story as a whole. If that was the case one can see a couple ending could distract from the main point of the story, and why the author might want to leave the ending ambiguous.

Slight spoiler However with the extra story showing up so soon, making it clear a couple ending was something that tMnR was ready and willing to write, I have to wonder if it was actually Yuri Hime who didn't want it, which would explain a lot about the roughness at the end of ch37 - putting in as much implication as possible with out actually confirming them as a couple (like Korra and Asami in Legend of Korra). It was a bit weird as an ending, but it was a good set-up for the extra chapter.

It seems strange, but editorial influence seems like one of the more plausible explanations for the end... I think I've asked this before, but just how big of a taboo would there be in Japan about "stealing" your brother's wife this way? In the West people might shake their heads a bit, but younger people wouldn't get too upset about it especially in fiction. Yuri Hime must have seen the end well ahead of time and surely gave feedback. If they wanted a couple ending, surely they would have asked for one, so it seems like the implication is that they didn't want it (unless manga publishers are completely "hands-off" which also seems pretty unlikely given their financial interest in keeping readers happy).

Somewhat bigger spoiler nice to see Risako again; I was a bit hampered by my limited Japanese, but it seemed like she was quite cheerful teasing Uta about her couple-y dynamic with Kaoru

Massive spoiler And the cute way that the initially mature and composed Uta completely overloaded after Kaoru kissed her: 夢じゃない なにこれ 夢じゃない!!! (not a dream; what is this; not a dream!! while pinching herself) lol

As others have said, it is lovely, anyone who refuses to read the chapter is only hurting themselves. ChaosTeam have announced that they are working on it, so we should be seeing an English scanlation soon!

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

As others have said, it is lovely, anyone who refuses to read the chapter is only hurting themselves. ChaosTeam have announced that they are working on it, so we should be seeing an English scanlation soon!

Chaosteam. That's good news.

joined Apr 24, 2019

Slightly Spoiler-ish mostly I'm referring to chapters that are already up here, but even the discussion itself implies some stuff about the new chapter. I've blacked out specifics tho.

As far as I can tell the new chapter was bonus content in a limited edition of volume 7, and also being sold separately (at least electronically), but not part of the standard vol 7 or serialized in Yuri Hime. If it is intended as a forced apology/appeasement to the bulk fandom it is very poorly executed in terms of reaching them.

It also seems quite carefully (lovingly?) written, and consistent with the main story (characters and themes). I'm more inclined to think it was a self-motivated effort by tMnR expressing the ending she wanted for the characters, a bit outside the bounds set for the main story (a bit like Tachi has done extra stories on Yuu and Haruka after Sakura Trick).

I've said before that I consider the main story was about Uta accepting her feelings for Kaoru as valid and legitimate, that she wasn't betraying anyone by having them (not about having those feelings reciprocated, or even pursuing that reciprocation); it makes it quite a queer story, since heterosexuals rarely end up questioning their feelings and identity on that level. That story was resolved in ch36 with Uta embracing her feelings and also getting acceptance from Kaoru who even went so far as to equate them to her own selfishness about the nature of their relationship.

Coming after that resolution it is definitely fair to consider ch37 as an epilogue, albeit one with a weirdly ill-defined ending, presumably in an attempt to keep the romantic/platonic question open. Although even then it still felt more like "veneer of deniability over romantic" than "possibility over platonic" (eg making a point of Uta re-affirming her feelings in the middle, and the waiting wife vibe from Kaoru at the end), so I suspect romantic couple was tMnR's personal preference all along.

I think the "vision" for the story was about accepting their feelings and dealing with their issues, and in that frame the nature of their final relationship is not important to the story as a whole. If that was the case one can see a couple ending could distract from the main point of the story, and why the author might want to leave the ending ambiguous.

Slight spoiler However with the extra story showing up so soon, making it clear a couple ending was something that tMnR was ready and willing to write, I have to wonder if it was actually Yuri Hime who didn't want it, which would explain a lot about the roughness at the end of ch37 - putting in as much implication as possible with out actually confirming them as a couple (like Korra and Asami in Legend of Korra). It was a bit weird as an ending, but it was a good set-up for the extra chapter.

It seems strange, but editorial influence seems like one of the more plausible explanations for the end... I think I've asked this before, but just how big of a taboo would there be in Japan about "stealing" your brother's wife this way? In the West people might shake their heads a bit, but younger people wouldn't get too upset about it especially in fiction. Yuri Hime must have seen the end well ahead of time and surely gave feedback. If they wanted a couple ending, surely they would have asked for one, so it seems like the implication is that they didn't want it (unless manga publishers are completely "hands-off" which also seems pretty unlikely given their financial interest in keeping readers happy).

Somewhat bigger spoiler nice to see Risako again; I was a bit hampered by my limited Japanese, but it seemed like she was quite cheerful teasing Uta about her couple-y dynamic with Kaoru

Massive spoiler And the cute way that the initially mature and composed Uta completely overloaded after Kaoru kissed her: 夢じゃない なにこれ 夢じゃない!!! (not a dream; what is this; not a dream!! while pinching herself) lol

Is there a way to read this new chapter online ?!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

[Clunky translation of] Epilogue chapter now up on Mangadex.

Those of you with money on “Kaoru snaps gay”, please report to the ticket window to collect your winnings.

It’s a little hard to say which one is a fakeout, the epilogue or the whole rest of the story.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Look at the damn necklace and they even move in together.

bla

Apparently, you failed to actually look at the damn necklace. It. Is. Not. The. Same. Necklace. This was already pointed out to you ages ago. I will grant you that it was probably meant to be the same necklace, but as with so much in this manga, the author screwed up.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Having read the most accessible translated release, I have to say--frikken FINALLY, and thanks to the author for giving us what we waited a billion chapters for and were never given with the entire release. We even got to see a smooch. A SMOOCH! Maybe one day we'll get something about their time as an actual couple, that would be nice.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

There is no need to put a link to another website for the chapter, it would get here eventually when Chaosteam have finish it and also because Rule 5 of the forum forbid link to Mangakalot.

last edited at Feb 12, 2021 7:23PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, please refer to rule 5. We don't allow links to for-profit online aggregators. Chaosteam will upload the work they wish to when they wish to.

joined Apr 24, 2019

Oh sorry I didn't know links was unallowed
Thiss my favourite website so I'll wait for it and I'll read it here ♥️

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Them actually ending together makes me like this story even less simply because the way it was written was so poorly. I hate stories where the author forces situations to get their characters together instead of their characters wanting to get together. The author just craps out scenario after scenario to get them together and by the end they just are. No explanation as to why. They also have zero romantic chemistry.

joined Feb 5, 2020

One kiss. I'll take it.

Img-thing
joined Jul 6, 2015

4 years, a long journey, still can't believe its ended now ;~;

Dynasty%20icon
joined Feb 16, 2021

It feels like a lot of people in the comment section are out of touch , and have no empathy. Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself. She could have wanted 10 more chapters 10 more books it's still not up to her it's up to her publisher. Yuri is also considered a niche manga genre in Japan as well, and a lot of amazing yuri mangas get axed. The feelings of westerners reading a translated version for free is meaningless as you are giving them no capital for their work and people should honestly just appreciate what they can get and show some respect . But that's just my take.

The kiss was really cute. I enjoyed this manga a lot thank you translators

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This reads like an omake--it would have been more convincing done chibi-style.

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 11:44AM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself.

There are many, many authors published in the same magazine navigating the same circumstances who do not have these problems

last edited at Feb 16, 2021 11:46AM

Gay%20cum
joined Jul 16, 2013

Rushed ending

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

im really conflicted. on the one hand FINALLY. but on the other there should've been more buildup in my opinion, like actually showing kaoru beginning to develop feelings. i never felt it was impossible, though uta's feelings remaining unrequited would have been completely satisfactory too. but this feels too quick and doesnt totally make sense considering all that we have to go on so far. im still happy tho

joined Jun 9, 2020

So they've been living together for that long, and only started dating just then? I feel really bad for uta.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Stick a fork in this one.
She's finally done.

joined Mar 18, 2018

Not the worst, but after this long ride I kinda expected more of an ending than that.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

(facepalm)

Wait, so, when they're living together at the end of the series, that wasn't even them being together together? They just....decided to live together, being....what. Friends? With Kaoru knowing how Uta felt, and Uta believing there wasn't any romantic prospects? I assumed they'd gotten together and -then- moved in, because that was the only possibility that made any kind of sense.

How did they make the ending WORSE?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Creating chapters for this story is not the decision of the manga artist itself.

There are many, many authors published in the same magazine navigating the same circumstances who do not have these problems

Yeah, but to be fair, not all stories are equal in all respects. Some stories can be ended abruptly whenever, some can't. Some authors are good at improvising a solid conclusion, some are too tied to their original vision to let it go. Every situation is different.

This all reads to me like the author had this big long term plan for how these two gradually get together, and in the end they didn't get to make it so they gave us the cliff's notes so that we know what the plan was.

To reply you must either login or sign up.